Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
First video of the two tiger cubs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxVMX4CcuTE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

You can now order quick service food through the My Disney Experience app. It only works at 15 locations so far and you have to pay by credit card. Dining plans don't work with it yet. What you do is punch in your order and then when you get to the restaurant you click "I'm here - Prepare my order" and then they make it for you. You'll get a text to let you know when your order is ready and there's a special mobile order pickup counter.

Participating locations as of now are:

Magic Kingdom® Park:
Columbia Harbour House
Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Café
Pecos Bill Tall Tale Inn & Cafe
Pinocchio Village Haus
Tomorrowland Terrace Restaurant*

Epcot®:
Electric Umbrella
Liberty Inn

Disney’s Hollywood Studios®:
ABC Commissary
Backlot Express
PizzeRizzo

Disney’s Animal Kingdom® Theme Park:
Flame Tree Barbecue
Pizzafari
Restaurantosaurus
Satu’li Canteen

Disney Springs®:
D-Luxe Burger

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
More Star Wars construction

http://twitter.com/wdwmagic/status/901106736349794309

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
anyone doing not so scary tonight?

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.
Finally locking down plans for a group trip to WDW I'm making with friends next February, which means I should start finalizing an itinerary for the solo romp I wanted to do through the world before the group weekend.

I've learned my lesson on multi-day tickets (thanks, thread!), but because I don't drive and really want to nearly empty out my bank account, I wanted to stay on site for the solo part of the trip. I think I have it narrowed down to Port Orleans French Quarter or Coronado, and I hear buses at Coronado can be frustrating, but is there anything else I should take into consideration as a single non-driving visitor?

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

Kimitsu posted:

Finally locking down plans for a group trip to WDW I'm making with friends next February, which means I should start finalizing an itinerary for the solo romp I wanted to do through the world before the group weekend.

I've learned my lesson on multi-day tickets (thanks, thread!), but because I don't drive and really want to nearly empty out my bank account, I wanted to stay on site for the solo part of the trip. I think I have it narrowed down to Port Orleans French Quarter or Coronado, and I hear buses at Coronado can be frustrating, but is there anything else I should take into consideration as a single non-driving visitor?

My last stay was at French Quarter and the buses were for the most part really convenient and quick, especially to Magic Kingdom. Our only bad experience was a morning trip to Animal Kingdom. The bus also went to Riverside and it took almost forty five minutes. But that was the only time in our eight day trip. We also did Uber when we were in a hurry or wanted to visit another resort, and most of the time it was about 7-10 bucks. So not too expensive in a pinch.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Coronado busses are wayyyyyy better than either of the Port Orleans. Anytime I've stayed at riverside I've elected to drive to a park instead.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
French Quarter was super easy to get around, and if you do pool view, you have a two minute walk from lobby to room, which is wonderful.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

We stayed at Coronado and were okay with the bus situation, although we don't have a lot of basis for comparison. The occasional long wait but nothing too bad.

We stayed in the casitas. It was the first stop on the loop of the resort, which was surprisingly nice. Easier to get a seat, and first ones off at the end of the night. You wouldn't think the second thing would be a big deal but after a full day of walking around in Orlando heat, shaving a few minutes off of collapsing into bed was decidedly a good thing.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

So my wife and I have a tripped planned 12/30-1/9, mostly to run Dopey but also NYE and stuff. We've paid our deposit and made our ADRs. However, I just accepted a job offer that will relocate us to downtown Orlando. Very excited, but have a few questions...

Is the $200 deposit refundable?
If I cancel the trip, I lose our ADRs, correct?

Do APs make their FP selections at 30 days? ADRs up to 180 days from date of reservation?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Congrats on the job! Orlando is a great area, we love it here. As for your trip, I would actually recommend you stay on property for marathon weekend even if you're local. Being at the starting line at 5-6am each morning for Dopey will be a million times easier with bus transportation than driving in (and dealing with closed roads for the races). Not to mention it's great to get back to the hotel to rest and recover right after the race. Have you done a Disney race or marathon before? I can give more specific tips for both because it's quite a unique event.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
I'd welcome some race tips. Not doing the full marathon, but I'm running the wine and dine half in November, staying at Caribbean Beach.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Snatched two Flight of Passage fastpasses this morning at my 60 day mark. Soooo stoked.

Anybody attend MNSSHP last night? Seemed like it was a good one.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Bottom Liner posted:

Congrats on the job! Orlando is a great area, we love it here. As for your trip, I would actually recommend you stay on property for marathon weekend even if you're local. Being at the starting line at 5-6am each morning for Dopey will be a million times easier with bus transportation than driving in (and dealing with closed roads for the races). Not to mention it's great to get back to the hotel to rest and recover right after the race. Have you done a Disney race or marathon before? I can give more specific tips for both because it's quite a unique event.

Thanks, we're pretty excited. We've discussed keeping our reservation for now, just dropping the park tickets (since we would get annual passes). We prepaid for Monsieur Paul's for NYE dinner, so we're not worried about that one, but we also don't want to lose our post-marathon dinners. If need be, we'll do it. Just wondering what our implications are.

In terms of the race, we've both done multiple marathons and halves. We were down this past January to run the half that got cancelled, but this is our first multi-race event

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
For the locals, if I'm staying at Port Orleans Riverside what's my travel time in the morning to the Orange County Convention Center?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Omne posted:

In terms of the race, we've both done multiple marathons and halves. We were down this past January to run the half that got cancelled, but this is our first multi-race event

Ah right, I remember that now. Disney races are pretty unique, and kinda insane in a fun way. If this is your first big Disney one I would suggest being aggressive with your coral placement or be comfortable with the idea of being stuck in a large mass for the first few miles. I typically run on the side of the road in the grass during those parts so I don't have to constantly dodge walkers or the herd.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

tomapot posted:

For the locals, if I'm staying at Port Orleans Riverside what's my travel time in the morning to the Orange County Convention Center?

~20 minutes if you stay of I-4 via Palm Parkway.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Bottom Liner posted:

~20 minutes if you stay of I-4 via Palm Parkway.

Thanks, coming in for a conference at the end of September and have to build in travel time to my schedule.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Omne posted:

So my wife and I have a tripped planned 12/30-1/9, mostly to run Dopey but also NYE and stuff. We've paid our deposit and made our ADRs. However, I just accepted a job offer that will relocate us to downtown Orlando. Very excited, but have a few questions...

Is the $200 deposit refundable?
If I cancel the trip, I lose our ADRs, correct?

Do APs make their FP selections at 30 days? ADRs up to 180 days from date of reservation?

The $200 is refundable up to 30 days before check in. You won't lose your ADRs if you cancel your room reservation. They aren't on the same reservation system so dining won't know if you canceled your room.

APs are at 30 days out for FP. ADRs can be made at 180 days out.

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.
Thanks for the input on Moderates! I'm settling on FQ, but definitely Coronado before Riverside if for some reason I can't get FQ.

Edna Mode posted:

My last stay was at French Quarter and the buses were for the most part really convenient and quick, especially to Magic Kingdom. Our only bad experience was a morning trip to Animal Kingdom. The bus also went to Riverside and it took almost forty five minutes. But that was the only time in our eight day trip. We also did Uber when we were in a hurry or wanted to visit another resort, and most of the time it was about 7-10 bucks. So not too expensive in a pinch.

This particularly helps, since I think one friend wants to join me for my AK day, and while I'm okay with the wait she's more of an optimizing your time type.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Bottom Liner posted:

Ah right, I remember that now. Disney races are pretty unique, and kinda insane in a fun way. If this is your first big Disney one I would suggest being aggressive with your coral placement or be comfortable with the idea of being stuck in a large mass for the first few miles. I typically run on the side of the road in the grass during those parts so I don't have to constantly dodge walkers or the herd.

Yeah we expect it to be totally different than other large races (we've done MCM, NYC and Chicago). I have a 1:55 half for my proof of time, so I should be relatively early for the corrals, and my wife should be one or maybe two behind me. We talked and we will likely just change the dates of our reservation to be for the race days, and then a stand-alone night for NYE.

Braksgirl posted:

The $200 is refundable up to 30 days before check in. You won't lose your ADRs if you cancel your room reservation. They aren't on the same reservation system so dining won't know if you canceled your room.

APs are at 30 days out for FP. ADRs can be made at 180 days out.

Oh excellent, good to know. We had prepaid for Monsieur Paul for NYE, so we figured that was good regardless. We have Citricos for the past-marathon meal and wanted to make sure we kept that.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Havent really went out of my way to look, but I'm surprised I haven't heard much complaints about the hocus pocus merch being pulled from halloween party.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Quixotic1 posted:

Havent really went out of my way to look, but I'm surprised I haven't heard much complaints about the hocus pocus merch being pulled from halloween party.

I didn't know!

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Uhhhhhhhh

https://twitter.com/DisCounselor/status/901442156199641092

But

https://twitter.com/ScottGustin/status/901972846632722432

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Those are all turrible :lol:

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Almost like the data from surveys isn't always used in obvious ways

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

What's with Disney's obsession with Hyperion/Hyperia?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That surveys not the first time I've seen mention of Disneys Hyperion Studios....

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

As someone mentioned, they put out ridiculous names so when they reveal the real name, it's an easier transition, but the counter to that is how many people are even going to see this survey to begin with

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

chitoryu12 posted:

What's with Disney's obsession with Hyperion/Hyperia?

Hyperion was the street that Walt's first office was located or something like that.

They bought the little bungalow office at some point and moved it to the studio lot in Burbank.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Slinky Dog in the house

https://twitter.com/Eftelflags/status/902235344057270272

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Looks cute

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Adorable!
Hopefully the real name ends up improving. I wonder if they announce the name before Toy Story opens or wait until Star Wars opens.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

There's a press event thing happening on Wednesday. Press was sent a box with a Slinky Dog toy and said big news is coming Wednesday. It could be as simple as revealing the ride vehicle officially, or they might even drop a real opening date. I think the name will stay Toy Story Land. They use it in all their marketing plus Cars Land is an official name. Probably would have changed at D23 if they were going to.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Flights of Passage might be my favorite ride of all time. Pandora is unreal.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Quick question for some Orlando folks: We're doing a Disney as a family in December (including the Holiday D-Lights tour because it's someone's birthday and we're going nuts) and we'll be there when The Last Jedi comes out. What's my best bet for the biggest, clearest screen and kidney shattering audio?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The AMC at Disney Springs imho. I saw both force awakens and rogue one there two days after release and the crowd was fun and great. Going to do the same with lag Jedi even if it is a hour away.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Seconding AMC Disney Springs, a great theater all around and the festivities for a Star Wars release will be great. If that sells out, The Regal at The Loop is a short 10 minute drive from Disney and a fantastic theater as well. We saw Force Awakens there and were very happy. Both have seat reservations so buy your tickets on the first day available.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I've noticed that Disney has events year round. I went this February and got to see a little bit of the Epcot International Arts Festival and thought it was pretty chill but I was wondering what other people's experiences were for the other events around the year to see if my family should plan a WDW vacation for a time other than February.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Honestly the Epcot events all bleed together. Flower and Garden/Arts/Food & Wine are all the same premise with different themes. The Magic Kingdom seasonal parties are pretty great, with Not So Scary being the best Halloween event ever between the cast members, special characters, guests in costume, special parade, outrageous amounts of good candy, and fireworks (though I wonder what they'll do for HalloWishes this year). The Christmas Party also good but a big step down from Halloween but if you're very festive it's a great choice.

For timing, February is one of the best times to visit thanks to great weather and low crowds. If you really want to change it up, mid October can be a good time to come and catch the Halloween party and Food and Wine at the same time, but weather can still be stifling and rainy and crowds are more of a crapshoot.