Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Good news guys, Navy Field is getting a Steam release. Now we can play another terrible ship game :captainpop:

Also holy poo poo why are there so many Graf Septics sailing around. Why not buy something fun?

Steel Ocean is better than Navy Field. It is also available on Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Gearhead posted:

The problem with this is, of course, that reality is colliding with game mechanics. WG wants to make a game about battleships but battleships were phased out for carriers for a reason.

That's great and all, but doesn't really matter because this is a game and the shooty ships part is the fun part of this game. Anyways, it's not like every battleship/cruiser/DD ever attacked by an aircraft carrier was sunk or that surface ships never engaged in a fight without aircraft sinking everyone.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Also holy poo poo why are there so many Graf Septics sailing around. Why not buy something fun?

Wehraboos and ship collectors.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
The problem with carriers is that they're kind of 'meh'.

There aren't a lot of escape mechanisms to avoid getting destroyed by a decent carrier. A destroyer might survive, depending on the skill of both players, but there is no guarantee. Smoke is not a shield, and mobility doesn't matter if you get cross-dropped. Some CLs have enough mobility or AAA that they're not worth the effort, but the rest of them aren't hard to pick off. BBs? They're just plain hosed. If an enemy CV walks up to you with a full attack squad and your CV is asleep at the wheel, you're just dead.

It is tremendously unfun to know you're in a situation where you cannot fight back, and that every action you take will be fruitless.

The CVs themselves aren't much fun to play, either. The CV balance is just awful. Any other ship in the game? You can get poo poo done out of the box. CV? Yeah, good luck with your crappy default squadrons and mediocre planes. Then you throw poo poo like Saipans into the mix.

JuffoWup posted:

Steel Ocean is better than Navy Field. It is also available on Steam.

I am just shocked Navy Field still exists. I saw the SDEinternet logo pop up in the trailer and I had flashbacks.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Gearhead posted:

The problem with this is, of course, that reality is colliding with game mechanics. WG wants to make a game about battleships but battleships were phased out for carriers for a reason.

That's not an issue in a well-designed game.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Heartcatch posted:

Unless they reduce the air spotting range of destroyers significantly and make it impossible for planes to spot torpedoes, this would be awful and make destroyer play at 8+ unplayable.

Totally agree. That's my entire rationale really, because it would force carrier changes to make the class appealing and balanced in high tier matches. Then maybe it would force a balance fix between the carrier lines themselves.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Good news guys, Navy Field is getting a Steam release. Now we can play another terrible ship game :captainpop:

Hey now, after a little over 2000 games on EU, the GZ has a better win percentage than the Lexington. :tootzzz:

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 26, 2017

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

You have an unrivaled optimism in Wargaming's ability and/or willingness to fix broken things or listen to their community.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Heartcatch posted:

You have an unrivaled optimism in Wargaming's ability and/or willingness to fix broken things or listen to their community.

No, I'm just delusional. I have to be sometimes to make logging into Warbotes seem less of a waste of my life. :shepicide:

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

ZombieLenin posted:

Hey now, after a little over 2000 games on EU, the GZ has a better win percentage than the Lexington. :tootzzz:

Damning with faint praise if I've ever seen it

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
They've listened to the community plenty of times, but confirmation bias is going to do its thing.

When they really mess up, it's more of a bad management policies and miscommunications between a number of languages, offices, and countries issue, but nerds have to have their shadowy cabals in office rooms plotting the destruction of their game/favorite boats/weekends rather than a business trying to toe a fine line between making a game good for everyone and making money off of it.

Somebody call me when they offer premium ap shells.

Victor Surge fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 26, 2017

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Judging by a brief perusal of the official forums, Wargaming still has a sizeable body of customers who believe it can do no wrong.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Sperglord Actual posted:

Judging by a brief perusal of the official forums, Wargaming still has a sizeable body of customers who believe it can do no wrong.

I guess I quit at the right time then. I doubt the ichase firing will do much in terms of spreading outrage. They didn't idiotically threaten to go after people with false DMAC attacks so its just a matter of a money grubbing company doing shady PR business which is nothing new.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Damning with faint praise if I've ever seen it

I see my statement more as a critique of how lovely the Lexington is.

Edit

As I grind up the American carrier line. :pervert:

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 26, 2017

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

Eh, that's more an indictment of the average player of a Lexington, and/or just a large percentage of the current number of GZ games played being by decent players, than legitimately claiming GZ is better. Its sole loadout is effectively just a shittier version of Lexington's 2/0/2.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
https://youtu.be/TGUqU2VPrrQ

wow. A pro CV player just going nutso.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Im glad you boats players have got a sirfoch and will now have a host of youtubers threatening to not make videos over it before inevitably backing down to avoid closing their cashcow.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Some of us played tanks, too. ChairInABasket plays boats these days.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Lord Koth posted:

Eh, that's more an indictment of the average player of a Lexington, and/or just a large percentage of the current number of GZ games played being by decent players, than legitimately claiming GZ is better. Its sole loadout is effectively just a shittier version of Lexington's 2/0/2.

Given the reviews, I have no doubt the GZ is the worse of the two. I trust that believe me. It just makes me sad as someone who is both grinding up the American line, and who has an interest in the history of these ships, that Lexington is even in the same ballpark as GZ stat wise (win rate only), even at this point with only 2,000 GZ games played.

Heartcatch posted:

I played Tanks since beta, and I quit for a year twice. The last time about a year ago (when I started playing boats actually.)

Occasionally, I think about playing Tanks again and then go read a few pages of the Tanks thread... just to remind myself why I don't want to play Tanks again.

Luckily I haven't really felt that way about Warbotes yet, though I did take a month or so off awhile ago.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 26, 2017

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
People losing their minds over a premium being released that is lovely and weak

this is how we get Belfasts

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Hazdoc posted:

What are you trying to say about my perfectly balanced Belfast? :agesilaus:

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Hazdoc posted:

To be fair at least people who get cheated by WG pay to win Belfasts owning them didn't drop 50 bucks on a steaming pile of dogshit that was essentially stealth nerfed with little fanfare before being released into the wild.

People like me who only bought a bit of premium time here and there knew what they were getting and can always walk away when the smell is too much. People who got cheated into buying the ship are stuck with it. Caveat emptor side

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]
GZ has apparently been pulled from both the NA and EU premium stores...

Edit

Confirming, Graf Zeppelin has been removed from both the NA & EU front pages and premium shops.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 26, 2017

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

MikeC posted:

https://youtu.be/TGUqU2VPrrQ

wow. A pro CV player just going nutso.

If you want more background on his rage and what he is talking about, look up a video he made a couple weeks ago. It is titled something like "What makes a good carrier". He goes over that balance triangle including how he would balance the ranger and lexington.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner

Heartcatch posted:

I played the poo poo out of tanks too. Rossmum even featured some of my replays in his videos :v:

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

ZombieLenin posted:

Confirming, Graf Zeppelin has been removed from both the NA & EU front pages and premium shops.

Wargaming's in full damage control mode.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.

I look forwards to next thing everyone will get up in arms about (which is fine), but will say for the thousandth time that WG boats never listens to the community and they'll never buy anything again.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

I look forward to the next time Wargaming demonstrates their complete lack of PR competence.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

Sperglord Actual posted:

I look forward to the next time Wargaming demonstrates their complete lack of PR competence.

:same: Free to play video games are very important.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Hoho....I'm getting a free camo and for 3 months I can run roughshod over any opposition with whatever OP setup they will come up with as apology.....

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I think I'm ok with this. Mainly because I'm curious what fara learns out of the experience as well.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

That complaining gets you free camouflage!

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]
Thanks for the coupon Wargaming. 7 days to use it and, thanks to the terms and conditions, I've got literally nothing to use it on other than anime ships I either have no desire to play OR I already own the non-anime version of.

I guess I could buy gold, but I've got nothing to use that on either other than Missouri--and I ain't buying that much gold.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Management got back from Gamescon I see.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

First match of the night: tier VIII in a tier X game, Epicenter on Tears of the Desert.

Our one tier X BB was AFK for the whole thing. :fuckoff:

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Poor Notser. :sympathy:

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Oh yeah, what a pain in the rear end. Compounded by everyone using CVs for the Yamamoto missions, it was terrible.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Having a Kamikaze made that task bearable. :sweatdrop:

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Close enough, I used a Gremyaschy :v:

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]
Unlocked the Khabarovsk just now. I am so happy that, after grinding through it twice, I am unsaddled with the Trashkent.

If only I had 18 million credits I could own my first Tier X destroyer. Now to grind credits... :thermidor:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lake Effect
May 8, 2008
I wonder how the USS Texas is weathering Harvey right now. I wouldn't be shocked if we hear bad news about it.