Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
de Nyschen was actually the one who came up with the scheme and it was implemented in China (largest VAG market) in like 2013. Although I think when it was first implemented it used a different formula than the one in the press release that made even less sense and resulted because of displacement taxes in more expensive, bigger engine cars having lower numbers than cheaper smaller engined cars.

It also doesn't specifically say that the scheme will be used in the US, where as pointed out there are relatively few different engine options for sale anyway, compared to the EU where you can get an A6 four different 1.4l diesels ranging from 74 to 103 hp or whatever the gently caress and rendering the whole thing pointless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

2015:

2016:

I had a 2016 for a loaner for a day and the software is way different. Need to dig into mine and check firmware numbers.

the opposite of what you're showing but this reminded me of going on a couple of test drives with my dad a few months ago

2009 fx35 interior: http://st.motortrend.com/uploads/sites/5/2009/05/112_0905_08z-2009_infiniti_FX35_AWD-cockpit.jpg

2017 qx70 interior: https://www.infinitiusa.com/dam/inf...erior-large.jpg

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Shame we'll never get the Samurai back in the USA ever again

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Nah he's a special brand of stupid. Just look at what he's doing at Cadillac

eh the dude turned AoA in to a serious money maker so I think some weird foibles can probably be forgiven

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

gently caress YEA!

Will this be sold in the US? I kept seeing this in Iceland and was obsessed; why were they never sold here? drat Suzuki is stupid.

That would be such a great cheap mall crawler.

EDIT: Hummer should have rebadged the Jimmy as like an H5.

The Sicilian fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 25, 2017

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

It's time has come; it can save Suzuki in North America.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

The Sicilian posted:

gently caress YEA!

Will this be sold in the US? I kept seeing this in Iceland and was obsessed; why were they never sold here? drat Suzuki is stupid.

That would be such a great cheap mall crawler.

EDIT: Hummer should have rebadged the Jimmy as like an H5.

Suzuki did sell the Jimny here in the US, as the Samurai. Didn't make it past the second gen Jimny though and now Suzuki Automotive is dead in the United States.
rip

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

KakerMix posted:

Suzuki did sell the Jimny here in the US, as the Samurai. Didn't make it past the second gen Jimny though and now Suzuki Automotive is dead in the United States.
rip

I meant the last gen ones. I REALLY like the barebones utilitarian look.

And duh, how I could I forget. What was the last car they really tried to win America over on? The Kizashi?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The Sicilian posted:

I meant the last gen ones. I REALLY like the barebones utilitarian look.

And duh, how I could I forget. What was the last car they really tried to win America over on? The Kizashi?

Yeah, by all accounts it wasn't a terrible car either. Too little, too late.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The Kizashi was a decent enough car, but it had the front end of a Chinese Jetta knockoff and the rear end of a generic video game sedan.

The Aerio sx was probably a bit ahead of its time and despite looking a bit cartoonish seemed to do pretty well in socal. For a Suzuki.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

eh the dude turned AoA in to a serious money maker so I think some weird foibles can probably be forgiven

Was it really him, though? He seems to be crashing and burning at Cadillac. Though that might just be the lion-like "destroy all projects made before me" impulse that CEOs have

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Was it really him, though? He seems to be crashing and burning at Cadillac. Though that might just be the lion-like "destroy all projects made before me" impulse that CEOs have

I'm not really sure what's supposed to be done to save Cadillac. They suffer from a perception problem that will take a long time to fix.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

big money big clit posted:

I'm not really sure what's supposed to be done to save Cadillac. They suffer from a perception problem that will take a long time to fix.

They should build what people actually want to buy, i.e. more Escalades, an Escalade V with at least a 600hp LT4 engine, an Escalade Sport with a downward sloping coupe roofline and a shorter wheelbase, a 3 row unit body crossover derivative of the GMC acadia,to compete with the Lexus RX, Acura MDX and Infiniti...QX...60? an Escalade EXT, etc. There should be unit body SUV versions of at least the CTS/CT6, if not the ATS as well, a la the Jag F-pace, X3, Infiniti FXwhateverthefuckit'scallednowthanksJdN although arguably the XT5 might be an OK substitute. It's nice that they have some sedans that can post fast lap times or whatever but no one buys them.

Like this isn't some kind of complex financial analysis I'm doing here, the Escalade sells well, everyone knows that, everyone knows that stuff like the Range Rover sport sells well, everyone wants SUVs of all types, so loving build them? At a minimum a supercharged Escalade to compete with the G-wagen, GC SRT and Range Rover should have been here yesterday and would have cost them next to nothing to put together because GM already makes every single part needed to build them. But now they've spent all their money on a small RWD sedan that has great handling but sucks at everything else and no one buys, and a large RWD sedan that no one buys for the same reason. Hell even ressurrecting the XLR on the C7 corvette platform would have been a better idea, at least people will actually pay for a big power convertible.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Throatwarbler posted:

They should build what people actually want to buy, i.e. more Escalades, an Escalade V with at least a 600hp LT4 engine, an Escalade Sport with a downward sloping coupe roofline and a shorter wheelbase, a 3 row unit body crossover derivative of the GMC acadia,to compete with the Lexus RX, Acura MDX and Infiniti...QX...60? an Escalade EXT, etc. There should be unit body SUV versions of at least the CTS/CT6, if not the ATS as well, a la the Jag F-pace, X3, Infiniti FXwhateverthefuckit'scallednowthanksJdN although arguably the XT5 might be an OK substitute. It's nice that they have some sedans that can post fast lap times or whatever but no one buys them.

Like this isn't some kind of complex financial analysis I'm doing here, the Escalade sells well, everyone knows that, everyone knows that stuff like the Range Rover sport sells well, everyone wants SUVs of all types, so loving build them? At a minimum a supercharged Escalade to compete with the G-wagen, GC SRT and Range Rover should have been here yesterday and would have cost them next to nothing to put together because GM already makes every single part needed to build them. But now they've spent all their money on a small RWD sedan that has great handling but sucks at everything else and no one buys, and a large RWD sedan that no one buys for the same reason. Hell even ressurrecting the XLR on the C7 corvette platform would have been a better idea, at least people will actually pay for a big power convertible.

You mean no one wants to buy a $100,000 200 mph Cadillac sedan? Who would have thought

The Escalade alone is responsible for about 10% of GM's entire global profit, so anything they can do to build on that would make sense.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

No, he watched what better executives did at Audi to be successful. Now he just tries to copy Audi everywhere he goes. That's why he's done nothing laudable or acheived any notable success at Infiniti or Cadillac.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

hifi posted:

the opposite of what you're showing but this reminded me of going on a couple of test drives with my dad a few months ago

2009 fx35 interior: http://st.motortrend.com/uploads/sites/5/2009/05/112_0905_08z-2009_infiniti_FX35_AWD-cockpit.jpg

I guess that model shares the guys who are in charge of the R35 program.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

KakerMix posted:

rip

Was the jimny/samurai AKA the sierra down here? We had the sierra in the 80s but it was taken off the market before 1990. Much later on it was relaunched as the jimny, but with a decade in between them I always felt the jimny seemed smaller and also lost any appeal.
The sierra had the 1300cc engine from the swift and I had 2 mates and a brother in law that all owned them, 2 soft tops and one hardtop. They all thrashed the hell out of them and they were fun to ride in.

Did you also get the vitara/grand vitara? I don't know anyone who had one of them but the people I know that had sierras all wanted to do the conversion of the 1600cc engine and drive line from the vitara into the sierra.

E: Suzuki still going OK in Australia due to the swift, but the kizashi was a flop because it was pricey. Nice car and if I didn't care about cost I'd get one because I know suzukis are pretty reliable, but buyers are going for bigger names, ford/mazda for the looks, honda/toyota for perceived reliability, or hyundai/kia for price. Holden/daewoo/gm if you grew up in a holden family I guess and you don't know any better?
Suzuki and mitsubshi often don't get a look in because they don't have an angle to pull from.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Aug 26, 2017

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

redgubbinz posted:

*a visibly distraught, balding middle aged man in an office carpark is furiously tapping on a calculator and scribbling on a small chalkboard, sweat soaking through polo shirt*

"I CAN'T FIGURE OUT IF I'M BETTER THAN THIS GUY. THE NUMBERS MAKE NO SENSE! MY WORLD MAKES NO SENSE! IS A 55 BETTER THAN A 35 WITH AN X? WHAT DOES THE G MEAN?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQsMFQZa8os&t=1544s

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Well, now I start the clock on a 25 year wait to get that fuckin' Jimny. Assholes!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
This series is really good, it's a brilliant snapshot of a certain period in UK car culture.

Eat This Glob posted:

Well, now I start the clock on a 25 year wait to get that fuckin' Jimny. Assholes!
Well, 2nd-gen ones (the ones they actually sold as Jiknys here in the UK) are getting toward 20 years old now.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

InitialDave posted:

This series is really good, it's a brilliant snapshot of a certain period in UK car culture.

Well, 2nd-gen ones (the ones they actually sold as Jiknys here in the UK) are getting toward 20 years old now.

Oh, I know, but holy poo poo do I want that new model! It's perfect. If I had a monkey's paw to wish on, it would be sold in America. I just think there's about zero chance it's sold here, so now I gotta wait 25 years :(.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Uhh, the Escalade is still a little fat. like an extra 1100lb on top of the Range Rover and 900lb on the SRTJeep. If they put a cam much hotter than the old LQ9's in there you've got an utter dog off the line (10 speed or not), and with a blower you're probably looking at close to single-digit MPGs. Even in Trump's post-EPA guzzoline America that's kind of a hard sell. I can see it when they catch up to Ford and start making them out of Aluminum but right now an Escalade V would be fuckin idiotic.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Q_res posted:

No, he watched what better executives did at Audi to be successful. Now he just tries to copy Audi everywhere he goes. That's why he's done nothing laudable or acheived any notable success at Infiniti or Cadillac.

Lol right I forgot about Infiniti

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

Uhh, the Escalade is still a little fat. like an extra 1100lb on top of the Range Rover and 900lb on the SRTJeep. If they put a cam much hotter than the old LQ9's in there you've got an utter dog off the line (10 speed or not), and with a blower you're probably looking at close to single-digit MPGs. Even in Trump's post-EPA guzzoline America that's kind of a hard sell. I can see it when they catch up to Ford and start making them out of Aluminum but right now an Escalade V would be fuckin idiotic.

SWB Escalade is within 100lbs of the AMG Gwagen and within 500lb of the LWB Range Rover. Neither of those get single digit MPG and both sell like crazy and make huge profits.

MB sells thousands of Gwagens a year, most of them are the AMG models which go for close to or over $200k, and it's a dumb live front axle truck that is almost undrivable on paved roads.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 27, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The navigator is getting the 450hp tune on the 3.5 ecoboost, and that's just the normal every day navigator. There's definitely room in the market for a V tune escalade.

It's about time the Americans got on the turbo V8 train anyways. For fuel economy, of course.

The aluminum in the navigator/expedition will probably only bring them down TO the weight of the escalade though. GMT800 and newer GMs use comically thin sheet metal fuckin submarines pretty much everywhere.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Aug 27, 2017

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

As demonstrated above this is wrong, but more importantly, absolutely no one spending $90,000 on a fancy $50,000 Yukon gives a poo poo

also I did not realize it until I was shopping around earlier this year but the Range Rover Supercharged does 0-60 in like 4.6 seconds. JFC

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The new regular run of the mill navigator is getting the 450hp tune of the 3.5 ecoboost.

Imagine how batshit the towncar would be if they kept it around.

I would be fine with the 2003 towncar with the 450hp 3.5 ecoboost + 10 speed as the only drivetrain config.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Powershift posted:

The navigator is getting the 450hp tune on the 3.5 ecoboost, and that's just the normal every day navigator. There's definitely room in the market for a V tune escalade.

It's about time the Americans got on the turbo V8 train anyways. For fuel economy, of course.

The aluminum in the navigator/expedition will probably only bring them down TO the weight of the escalade though. GMT800 and newer GMs use comically thin sheet metal fuckin submarines pretty much everywhere.

The NA engine is one reason I got my 6.2l Silverado. I'm sure they could easily bump it to around 460HP and 500 lb/ft if they wanted

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dislike button posted:

The NA engine is one reason I got my 6.2l Silverado. I'm sure they could easily bump it to around 460HP and 500 lb/ft if they wanted

Yeah, it's kind of a piss-off that the 5.0 in the mustang is 460/420, but the f-150 is still only 395/400. It really feels like they're just trying to keep it away from the ecoboost.

a RCSB 5.0 f-150 would be a sweet little muscle truck.

Hopefully the 7.0 rumors come truck and they stick it in everything.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
"But, the gas mileage" said literally no one who ever purchased a luxury truck/SUV.

Christ in Texas it's practically a point of pride that you get lovely mileage.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Yeah like, the Escalade sells because it says "Escalade" on it. Make the numbers go up so the salesman can go "Well this here baby has more!" and people will buy it because more. Like was already said people buy the AMG G Wagens because it says "AMG" on it and it costs $200K. You want to be seen in it it doesn't matter how it actually preforms.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Powershift posted:

Yeah, it's kind of a piss-off that the 5.0 in the mustang is 460/420, but the f-150 is still only 395/400. It really feels like they're just trying to keep it away from the ecoboost.
How do the rpm ranges compare though? My mustang coyote was awesome, and the 3.5EB/10A in my F150 is also awesome.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

hifi posted:

The FX35/QX70 is basically unchanged since 2009.

Powershift posted:

The new regular run of the mill navigator is getting the 450hp tune of the 3.5 ecoboost.

Imagine how batshit the towncar would be if they kept it around.

I would be fine with the 2003 towncar with the 450hp 3.5 ecoboost + 10 speed as the only drivetrain config.
A modern day RWD Lincoln LS with that engine would be cool.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Mr. Apollo posted:

That would be awesome.

SPORK08
Sep 29, 2003
wagon-core

Mr. Apollo posted:

Let's not bring the LS into this, Mark IX or bust.

I do wish they hadn't grafted the mark series name onto every pile of puke they put out.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mr. Apollo posted:

It really is a shame they got their poo poo together engine wise, but still start every car off as a 4000lb 20 year old volvo.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The XT5 is probably a step in the right direction.

Sedans are dead though so I'm not sure why Cadillac decided to focus on sedans when they make THE luxury truck of all time.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Sedans are dead though so I'm not sure why Cadillac decided to focus on sedans when they make THE luxury truck of all time.

They're killing the CTS, ATS, and XTS and replacing them with the CT5, so at least they recognized their mistake and are changing course.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The answer, as always; General Motors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
They really do hate doing something right, don't they?