Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Concerned Citizen posted:

yeah but buzzfeed had posted it like a year earlier

and 85% of that article's views came from clinton interns between 1-9am march 9 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Venom Snake posted:

At the very least police should be allowed to just let Antifa do their job.

Like I said before, I have no trouble with the actual activities of Antifa but as a rule, vigilantes belong in comic books and on Netflix and in two-hour heavy metal videos marketed as movies. (Thor: Ragnarok had better not disappoint on this front.)

I'm glad we have Antifa for the most part, but I'd really rather we didn't need them.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

The Muppets On PCP posted:

and 85% of that article's views came from clinton interns between 1-9am march 9 2016

it got quite a bit of coverage in right-wing media. i have no doubt the clinton campaign was aware of the article and prepared hillary for it, but i don't think univision needed to have it fed to them as they are actually pretty good journalists and capable of using google.

regardless, i think the main point here is that the clinton campaign very much held back against sanders to avoid alienating his base. they were shifting staff to the general, they saw the primary as pretty much over. in 2020, bernie starts as the frontrunner and no one is just going to let him glide to victory - i very much expect scorched earth tactics that will made 2016 look like kindergarten.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Joementum posted:

there's also the two foot thick binder of opposition research on Bernie that contained a VHS tape which Kurt Eichenwald definitely saw and isn't lying about

he definitely said whitey

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

he's absolutely gonna get attacked on that, it's too perfect given the russia poo poo floating around.

relevation number one of 2016 was that no one's gonna vote based on nebulous Russian ties

revelation number two was that people will excuse a lot of foreign policy incompetence if you manage to convince them you're gonna do something about domestic inequality

how stupid do you have to be to live in a universe where DONALD loving TRUMP is president of the US and say "sorry, saying anything positive about Russia ever is enough to sink a candidate, also, someone with weak foreign policy experience is at a big disadvantage"

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

regardless, i think the main point here is that the clinton campaign very much held back against sanders to avoid alienating his base. they were shifting staff to the general, they saw the primary as pretty much over.

i'm not so sure they held back so much as there just wasn't that much to nail him with beyond boilerplate ooga booga commie poo poo. though to be fair that's pretty much all you need among the primary electorate

agreed though that the campaign was more focused on the general, but they also didn't expect sanders to actually win a few primaries either or stick around

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

docbeard posted:

Like I said before, I have no trouble with the actual activities of Antifa but as a rule, vigilantes belong in comic books and on Netflix and in two-hour heavy metal videos marketed as movies. (Thor: Ragnarok had better not disappoint on this front.)

I'm glad we have Antifa for the most part, but I'd really rather we didn't need them.

antifa aren't vigilantes, comrade

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Who was the dril of the October revolution

I kind of want to say Trotsky

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Main Paineframe posted:

relevation number one of 2016 was that no one's gonna vote based on nebulous Russian ties

revelation number two was that people will excuse a lot of foreign policy incompetence if you manage to convince them you're gonna do something about domestic inequality

how stupid do you have to be to live in a universe where DONALD loving TRUMP is president of the US and say "sorry, saying anything positive about Russia ever is enough to sink a candidate, also, someone with weak foreign policy experience is at a big disadvantage"

i didn't say that it would sink him, i said he would get hit on it and basically anything else even remotely negative in an attempt to bring down his favorables.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

i didn't say that it would sink him, i said he would get hit on it and basically anything else even remotely negative in an attempt to bring down his favorables.

and it will have zero effect because the rules of the game have changed. you and your ilk just refuse to recognize it

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

and it will have zero effect because the rules of the game have changed. you and your ilk just refuse to recognize it

Nah, nothing's changed. It's all about showmanship the way it's always been.

Bernie's pretty good at that, so he's got a shot. He's not a dead cert tho.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Raskolnikov38 posted:

well i guess we'll find out, but i think carrying any sort of certainty into what will be the colossal shitshow of the 2020 democratic primary is a mistake

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

KomradeX posted:

I kind of want to say Trotsky

the dril budget tweet but its a call to arms

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

well i guess we'll find out, but i think carrying any sort of certainty into what will be the colossal shitshow of the 2020 democratic primary is a mistake

I still maintain that literally everyone will be running for president in 2020. Including people under 35 and people from other countries and dogs and Joementum will go hoarse shouting about how five-year-old President Comrade Goodboy is constitutionally ineligible.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

antifa aren't vigilantes, comrade

Okay, I'll bite. Why aren't they and what are they instead?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
bernie actually does suck wrt foreign policy but it's just because he's a moderate imperialist so it's not like anyone's gonna hit him from the left on it

oh no sanders only wants to give israel $3 billion a year to maintain their apartheid state instead of the $12 billion proposed by trump and a bipartisan congressional vote

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

trump got hit on it too, but here we are!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

docbeard posted:

Okay, I'll bite. Why aren't they and what are they instead?

vigilante implies they're roaming the streets looking for nazis to punch as a matter of course, which lemme just check yeah that's still not what's going on

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
god im so sick of these vigilantes who show up at rallies held by nazis to respond to nazis, taking the law into their own hands and striking preemptively at these nazi events

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Dude looks good in red.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

docbeard posted:

I still maintain that literally everyone will be running for president in 2020. Including people under 35 and people from other countries and dogs and Joementum will go hoarse shouting about how five-year-old President Comrade Goodboy is constitutionally ineligible.

anyone can run for president. the constitution only covers requirements for serving as president

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

docbeard posted:

I say we nominate Jezza for President

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
im president

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

vigilante implies they're roaming the streets looking for nazis to punch as a matter of course, which lemme just check yeah that's still not what's going on

Okay, that's fair enough. Still my point is that I wish we didn't need them but I'm glad we have them while we do.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
im a proud supporter of Hurricane Harvey 2020

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

ahh thats the stuff :discourse:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

docbeard posted:

Okay, that's fair enough. Still my point is that I wish we didn't need them but I'm glad we have them while we do.

yeah that part i can get behind, i just get real touchy about the characterization of antifa as bloodthirsty jackals who thrive on doing punches

we're cool, you're cool, respect knucks

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I think it's very difficult to draw conclusions from the 2016 election season because the situation was so unusual. The R primary was a clown car, and the establishment wasn't able to unify to prevent an outsider from taking over. The Ds effectively chose their candidate years before the first primary, which isn't supposed to happen unless they're an incumbent or VP to an extremely popular president. The result was a general election with two of the last popular people in the entire country as the only choices. That's some strange poo poo.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Joementum posted:

there's also the two foot thick binder of opposition research on Bernie that contained a VHS tape which Kurt Eichenwald definitely saw and isn't lying about

I saw it too. It's 1000 pages of "COMMIE JEW!!!" written with the font size increasing every couple of pages.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

wait, the binder says... "Kurt Eichenwald Falsehoods"?!?!?!?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Is it time to :killing: yet?

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just in case you're not pissed off enough:

https://twitter.com/MattBors/status/901533267639369729

Yudo
May 15, 2003

The Little Kielbasa posted:

I think it's very difficult to draw conclusions from the 2016 election season because the situation was so unusual. The R primary was a clown car, and the establishment wasn't able to unify to prevent an outsider from taking over. The Ds effectively chose their candidate years before the first primary, which isn't supposed to happen unless they're an incumbent or VP to an extremely popular president. The result was a general election with two of the last popular people in the entire country as the only choices. That's some strange poo poo.

We are in a period of diminishing quality of life and expectations. Neither party addressed this compellingly and in fact ardently championed policies that exacerbated decline. Hence the reception of outside voices who at least played lip service to material conditions. This isn't going to change by 2020; it is clear that the economic order benefits fewer and fewer.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
we need armed leftists to show up in military formations to scare off the nazis

all wearing masks of course

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

It appears this happens while the "flamethrower" was being used in that iconic photo.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

white sauce posted:

we need armed leftists to show up in military formations to scare off the nazis

all wearing masks of course

while they will be back the nazis seemed to have pissed their pants for the moment. they cancelled the rallies in SF and Berkeley

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I'm carrying lots of certainty about some aspects of the 2020 democratic shitshow:

* that in order to crowd out any candidate remotely leftish, including bernie but also warren, bad dems early on will coalesce around a neoliberal person of color. Bonus points if the person of color is also a woman, has a background in the military or law enforcement, and started fundraising among clinton donors before the ink was dry on trump's first executive order.

* that after watching trump destroy the tattered remains of the ACA he inherited, the neolib candidate will tepidly call for medicare "or something like it" to serve as a "public option" for insurance, with the caveat that if you like your employer-provided insurance you can keep it. (As a result, even in the unlikely event medicare-for-some would pass, it would fail because of lack of any critical mass and because it'll probably be priced to "be on an even playing field" with private insurers, leading bad dems to bemoan that the country's just not ready for single-payer for another, oh say, 50 years or so.)

* that dems will refuse to make promises on ending the afghanistan or iraq wars as they near the beginning of their third decades.

* that dems will continue to run on fighting the drug wars.

* that you, along with other bad dems, will be touting the bad-dems' candidate of choice.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Willa Rogers posted:

I'm carrying lots of certainty about some aspects of the 2020 democratic shitshow:

* that in order to crowd out any candidate remotely leftish, including bernie but also warren, bad dems early on will coalesce around a neoliberal person of color. Bonus points if the person of color is also a woman, has a background in the military or law enforcement, and started fundraising among clinton donors before the ink was dry on trump's first executive order.

* that after watching trump destroy the tattered remains of the ACA he inherited, the neolib candidate will tepidly call for medicare "or something like it" to serve as a "public option" for insurance, with the caveat that if you like your employer-provided insurance you can keep it. (As a result, even in the unlikely event medicare-for-some would pass, it would fail because of lack of any critical mass and because it'll probably be priced to "be on an even playing field" with private insurers, leading bad dems to bemoan that the country's just not ready for single-payer for another, oh say, 50 years or so.)

* that dems will refuse to make promises on ending the afghanistan or iraq wars as they near the beginning of their third decades.

* that dems will continue to run on fighting the drug wars.

* that you, along with other bad dems, will be touting the bad-dems' candidate of choice.

zzzzzzz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
Tamala Duckris 2020

• Locked thread