Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
The forums started showing up as blank yesterday, I could see the main forum list, but actual forums just showed me the "filter by tag" option. I tried a few things, then deleted and reinstalled the app, but now it won't let me log in, although I can from a desktop... I'm in china, if that makes a difference, but again, I can log in from a desktop that's using the same wifi and vpn to connect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I've only been using an iPhone for two weeks now, so this is probably something obvious. How do I search for something on the current page?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I've only been using an iPhone for two weeks now, so this is probably something obvious. How do I search for something on the current page?

iOS convention (or at least Safari convention) is to stick 'find on page' in the Share menu for some god-awful reason. Or in the address bar for a modestly less god-awful reason. Other document viewers and editors (including iWork!) have different places for it.

The Awful app has no address bar and only thread-specific options in its Share menu. You can select text and get a system Share menu that way but still no search text option.

This may be a bit of an oversight.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 12, 2017

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo
The back button is misaligned on iPhone 6 landscape mode and it's triggering my 'tisms. Please fix ASAP, TIA. XOXO

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
Images in the lepers colon don't work

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
We're now officially tracking all bugs and feature requests as issues in the GitHub repo. Everyone is welcome to take a look, open issues there, comment, etc.

However, there is no requirement to do so! By all means keep posting in here and I/someone will open/update a corresponding GitHub issue. Basically nobody has to do anything differently from before. But on the off chance that anyone is interested: issues are in the repo now.

The_Doctor posted:

It's ok, it's the work of a few seconds to put them all back!

No, I didn't have to re-login. I only use Awful for smilies.

Alright, hopefully someday I'll take a look!

Crime on a Dime posted:

Anyone else getting pages half loading, refresh doesn't fix it and you have to kill/restart ? iPhone 7+ and iPad Pro

Can you describe "half loading"?

PoorHobo posted:

For the beta build of iOS 11, the smart invert will invert all pictures as well. Is there a way to choose the way these are shown so iOS 11 recognizes them as pictures and doesn't invert the colors?

I had no idea this was a feature until you mentioned it, and a quick look at the relevant APIs suggests this isn't something we'll be able to control. We can set the entire posts view to not invert, but I don't think we can do just the pictures. I'll add it to the list though, I certainly didn't do a thorough look and it's something we should try to do.

yaffle posted:

The forums started showing up as blank yesterday, I could see the main forum list, but actual forums just showed me the "filter by tag" option. I tried a few things, then deleted and reinstalled the app, but now it won't let me log in, although I can from a desktop... I'm in china, if that makes a difference, but again, I can log in from a desktop that's using the same wifi and vpn to connect.

The only thing I can think of is maybe your desktop browser has some kind of plugin that makes something work where the app doesn't? But that doesn't seem super plausible to me. I'm not sure what's going on here. I'll add it to the list though.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

You're not missing anything in Awful at least: we haven't implemented this feature. You're not the first to request it though, so I'll +1 it and maybe someday it'll happen!

huhwhat posted:

The back button is misaligned on iPhone 6 landscape mode and it's triggering my 'tisms. Please fix ASAP, TIA. XOXO

Can't promise a timeline but I agree it's broken!

Crime on a Dime posted:

Images in the lepers colon don't work

I too would like pictures of the lepers colon

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

In the next upload of thread tags could you add the pyf tag or equivalent? In fact all the section tags if possible :shobon:?

Reports autogenerate threads in the mod section with their corresponding section tag as the thread tag. When I'm out and about I have to scroll through reports and it's awkward to tell which ones are from PYF. They also all default to the "no tag" icon so I can't filter them by tag.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Keith Atherton posted:

There is a known issue where a page will render with blank gray boxes in the middle of posts after which (for me) the app will soon crash. I run into this a lot, especially after reading image- or tweet-heavy threads

^^^ it's this one

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Crime on a Dime posted:

^^^ it's this one

This just happened to me.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Keith Atherton posted:

There is a known issue where a page will render with blank gray boxes in the middle of posts after which (for me) the app will soon crash. I run into this a lot, especially after reading image- or tweet-heavy threads

This happens to me pretty frequently. Actually, I can't even open the yospos cat thread anymore.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

My uneducated guess from the anroid experience is that it's textures for the display surface going missing because memory's running out

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I can't remember seeing this but I just noticed when I'm looking at and replying to PMs in landscape mode, the keyboard covers the message if it's big enough and it won't scroll down to allow visibility for the part where the typing is going. Switching to portrait it seems to work then switching back to landscape seemed to make it scroll (but then I ran into another problem where the keyboard non-letter keys stopped working which could be an iOS thing). Sorry if this is a repeat! Tried it on both my new iPad and old one and same issue exists.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
I'm running into issues where inline urls will sometimes work and launch the Awful browser, but sometimes require a long press and open in chrome or safari.

Quitting and restarting awful seems to work until whatever is the root cause will happen again.

Notes from how I've tried to troubleshoot the issue:
- issue arises over multiple devices (6+, Air, 10.5 Pro)
- issue seems to be persistent across current and most recent previous version
- tweets will work, but not links on same page in thread
- embedded videos in tweets may be a root cause
- looping videos are not always paused before leaving the page
- does not seem dependent on how I close the awful browser (hitting done or swiping left)

Not sure what else is relevant, but in the end it's a minor annoyance for what is a seriously good app and my man method of forums browsing.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I've been getting that too. I've done decidedly less to try and troubleshoot the issue, but it usually is when I'm on my mini 2.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Nystral posted:

I'm running into issues where inline urls will sometimes work and launch the Awful browser, but sometimes require a long press and open in chrome or safari.

Quitting and restarting awful seems to work until whatever is the root cause will happen again.

Notes from how I've tried to troubleshoot the issue:
- issue arises over multiple devices (6+, Air, 10.5 Pro)
- issue seems to be persistent across current and most recent previous version
- tweets will work, but not links on same page in thread
- embedded videos in tweets may be a root cause
- looping videos are not always paused before leaving the page
- does not seem dependent on how I close the awful browser (hitting done or swiping left)

Not sure what else is relevant, but in the end it's a minor annoyance for what is a seriously good app and my man method of forums browsing.

Just observed this: looping video embedded in a tweet was paused and left page. Link on next page was inoperable.

Clearing cache does not seem to help.

POCKET CHOMP posted:

I've been getting that too. I've done decidedly less to try and troubleshoot the issue, but it usually is when I'm on my mini 2.

That's because I've been trying to suss out what the issue has been for a few weeks now.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Nystral posted:

Just observed this: looping video embedded in a tweet was paused and left page. Link on next page was inoperable.

Clearing cache does not seem to help.

That's because I've been trying to suss out what the issue has been for a few weeks now.

Thanks for trying to nail it down. Unfortunately I don't immediately have a fix in mind, but I added your info to the bug and I'll use it to try and see what's going on.

carry on then fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 19, 2017

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

EmmyOk posted:

In the next upload of thread tags could you add the pyf tag or equivalent? In fact all the section tags if possible :shobon:?

Reports autogenerate threads in the mod section with their corresponding section tag as the thread tag. When I'm out and about I have to scroll through reports and it's awkward to tell which ones are from PYF. They also all default to the "no tag" icon so I can't filter them by tag.

I had no idea that's how reports work, cool. I'll add it to the list, and if anyone gets inspired to cook up some images we can make it happen.

Stoca Zola posted:

I can't remember seeing this but I just noticed when I'm looking at and replying to PMs in landscape mode, the keyboard covers the message if it's big enough and it won't scroll down to allow visibility for the part where the typing is going. Switching to portrait it seems to work then switching back to landscape seemed to make it scroll (but then I ran into another problem where the keyboard non-letter keys stopped working which could be an iOS thing). Sorry if this is a repeat! Tried it on both my new iPad and old one and same issue exists.

Don't think it's a repeat though we've had similar issues in the past. I'll add it to the list. Out of curiosity, when the non-otter keys stopped working, did the keyboard background turn a weird color (like solid black)? I've seen that a few times but I have no idea what's going on when it happens.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

pokeyman posted:

Don't think it's a repeat though we've had similar issues in the past. I'll add it to the list. Out of curiosity, when the non-otter keys stopped working, did the keyboard background turn a weird color (like solid black)? I've seen that a few times but I have no idea what's going on when it happens.

I didn't notice the keyboard change colour, might have missed it this time due to dark mode but the keyboard freezes often enough that I'm sure I'll get a chance to look out for it soon enough, next time it happens.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I'm also getting the bug with the blank spaces all over the page (with a crash soon after). It's happening two or three times a week now. Using an iPhone 5c.

In less critical news, there's some weird stuff going on with load times. For a long time, the Steam thread would take AGES to load, for just a normal page of text, even when my phone was on the home wifi. This happened when navigating between posts/pages in that thread as well. They recently closed it and started a new one, and now the C-SPAM Trump thread takes forever to load (where previously it took a little longer than usual). As far as I can tell, the longest thread in my bookmarks gets an extra-long load time, for some reason.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

pokeyman posted:

I had no idea that's how reports work, cool. I'll add it to the list, and if anyone gets inspired to cook up some images we can make it happen.

I can take a look at the images myself if you like! What size do you need them to be? Speaking of the filter though in every section it seems to be faulty currently? I click "filter by tag" and I only have the option for none. On iPhone SE

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Krazyface posted:

I'm also getting the bug with the blank spaces all over the page (with a crash soon after). It's happening two or three times a week now. Using an iPhone 5c.

In less critical news, there's some weird stuff going on with load times. For a long time, the Steam thread would take AGES to load, for just a normal page of text, even when my phone was on the home wifi. This happened when navigating between posts/pages in that thread as well. They recently closed it and started a new one, and now the C-SPAM Trump thread takes forever to load (where previously it took a little longer than usual). As far as I can tell, the longest thread in my bookmarks gets an extra-long load time, for some reason.

I've seen this as well, the throbber will stop and I get the impression it's struggling to parse the response or a core data write is taking forever or something

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Here's something that's been happening to me constantly. I'll open GBS or PYF and the thread will auto refresh. But a force pull down refresh will change the threads displayed and the number of threads displayed. Note the scroll bar indicator size.

Auto refresh:

After manual refresh:

It's not a huge deal but kind of a pain to have to manually refresh all the time.

Current iOS version, current app version, iPhone 6

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Krazyface posted:

This might sound like a joke answer, but it’s not. When threads get to be thousands of pages long, the page selector dropdown menu gets so big that it can have a noticeable effect on load times, and in really extreme cases can even crash a desktop browser.

Senator Sprinkles
Aug 16, 2008

Diabolik900 posted:

This might sound like a joke answer, but it’s not. When threads get to be thousands of pages long, the page selector dropdown menu gets so big that it can have a noticeable effect on load times, and in really extreme cases can even crash a desktop browser.

Makes sense --I read the forums on a VERY old iPad (so take it for what it's worth) but even then, I notice unbelievably slow load times on longer 1k+pg threads compared to skimpy little 1-5pg GBS shitpost threads. Posting now from safari, in fact. Any way to solve or mitigate this, or is it an SA-side issue? First problem i remember ever having w/the app and I'm still really happy I downloaded it years ago, but it makes certain threads unreadable.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

The drop-down page selectors are roughly manual. You're lucky if they parse in linear time. Parser apps like this one have to read in the page in its entirety to generate the posts.

THE RADIUMCRATS!

EDIT: Goofed.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Aug 21, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Uploading pictures through the app suddenly doesn't work like 95% of the time. Typically code 0. Worked fine up until just recently.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

It's the end of the month so our Imgur allotment probably ran out. It's on the list to be figured out.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Ok cool. I had a similar question about the Imgur uploads not always working, figured it was an API key limitation.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Alright this may be a stupid question, but for the life of me I cannot figure it out. Is there way to put a user on your ignore list through the app?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
There’s a weird inconsistency with line spacing on iOS 11. Quitting the app from multitasking clears the problem up.

Normal:

With bug.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Valt posted:

Alright this may be a stupid question, but for the life of me I cannot figure it out. Is there way to put a user on your ignore list through the app?

No

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Trying to make a thread but the app wouldn't let me scroll down past a certain point to see what I was typing in portrait or landscape.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Possible bug? iOS 10.3.3, Awful 3.26, iPhone 7. Can't expand any of the sub-forums on the main forum list. Instant crash, even after clearing cache.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
[quote="“Valt”" post="“475655015”"]
[/quote]

can someone fix this quote issue i’m having on ios 11 beta 6 tyvm

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

can someone fix this quote issue i’m having on ios 11 beta 6 tyvm

disable smart quotes or whatever in the keyboard

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Just had a weird issue. I posted a reply to a thread, went back and edited that reply. Then I went to edit it again, but cancelled the edit. Someone then replied to my post so I went to quote him (and I'm sure I clicked on the right post). Instead of seeing his post quoted in the input box I saw the text of the post I'd edited a few minutes before. I selected it and deleted it, the wrote in my response to him. I submitted it and then discovered that it just edited my previous post instead of posting a new post.

TL;DR: I guess in this case quote=edit.

Oh yeah, I'm on the latest beta of awful on whatever the latest version of iOS 10 is on an iPhone 7 plus.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 28, 2017

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

GutBomb posted:

Just had a weird issue. I posted a reply to a thread, went back and edited that reply. Then I went to edit it again, but cancelled the edit. Someone then replied to my post so I went to quote him (and I'm sure I clicked on the right post). Instead of seeing his post quoted in the input box I saw the text of the post I'd edited a few minutes before. I selected it and deleted it, the wrote in my response to him. I submitted it and then discovered that it just edited my previous post instead of posting a new post.

Also experiencing this, running awful beta and ios 11 though.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

GutBomb posted:

Oh yeah, I'm on the latest beta of awful on whatever the latest version of iOS 10 is on an iPhone 7 plus.

This is actually an intentional design decision. It’s meant to allow you to go back and add additional quotes to a post that you’re in the middle of writing. This comes up a lot though, so it’s obviously a design that needs to be rethought.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Diabolik900 posted:

This is actually an intentional design decision. It’s meant to allow you to go back and add additional quotes to a post that you’re in the middle of writing. This comes up a lot though, so it’s obviously a design that needs to be rethought.

People only bring things up that they feel doesn't work. I'm sure a LOT of people get use out of it (myself included), they just don't feel it necessary to come into the thread and talk about something that is working as intended.

You may not be suggesting complete removal, but I just wanna say please don't remove it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

People only bring things up that they feel doesn't work. I'm sure a LOT of people get use out of it (myself included), they just don't feel it necessary to come into the thread and talk about something that is working as intended.

You may not be suggesting complete removal, but I just wanna say please don't remove it.

Could a button be added to distinguish the behaviors? Such as a save as draft vs delete draft?

• Locked thread