Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is the Ascension worth playing if I never played one of those games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Unlucky7 posted:

Is the Ascension worth playing if I never played one of those games?

I'll say this: I've never played one of these games, and I am having a lot of fun on my first scenario playthrough! Having no idea what the other games have been like up to this point, it's hard to imagine it without the rise-in-the-ranks system Ascension has.
It's like...Japanese console Crusader Kings, kinda. I dig it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS1UF1j_hcU

Another Attack on Titan game, coming early 2018.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I'll care when the first one isn't still $60.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

More characters from DW9 featured Looks like more weapon switcheroo going on, Zhang He using throwing knifes, Zhou Yu with a staff, and Ma Dai with twin axes. Sima Shi gets to keep his rapier though.

Also for some reason DW8 Empires, SW: Spirit of Sanada, and WO3 Ultimate are coming to Switch. No US release announced.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
All stars is out soon. Consensus was that it was bad right? Does it atleast have splitscreen?
Worth to get day 1? or wait for a sale?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Policenaut posted:

More characters from DW9 featured Looks like more weapon switcheroo going on, Zhang He using throwing knifes, Zhou Yu with a staff, and Ma Dai with twin axes. Sima Shi gets to keep his rapier though.

Also for some reason DW8 Empires, SW: Spirit of Sanada, and WO3 Ultimate are coming to Switch. No US release announced.

You see switch portd because they sell well. Bomberman r sold 500k. Disgaea 5 sold 100k when they barely hit like 20k on ps4.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Definitely sale material unless you're insane like me

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
That was launch honeymoon when the only big name was BotW though. Not sure they'll still pull big numbers come November.

Then again these are quick and dirty ports so they probably don't expect big numbers.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I mean where else are they going to port, the vita?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I took a quick look at how Dragon Quest Heroes 1&2 performed on Switch versus how just one of those two games did (DQH2) and I don't have much faith in these Warriors ports lighting up the Switch world like Bomberman R did for a bunch of desperate launch adopters looking for new games. Media Create figures, last known entries before dropping off the Top 20.

DQ Heroes 2 PS4: 259,001
DQ Heroes 2 Vita: 201,937
DQ Heroes 2 PS3: 113,461

DQ Heroes 1&2 Switch: 32,812.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Yikes. I'm surprised the Vita one sold as much as it did! Personally, I'm okay with Warriors games not coming to Switch, bc they'd probably run like rear end. I saw an article saying Attack on Titan 2 might not come to Switch and I was like "OK, I'll just get it on PC/PS4 because it will actually run like it's supposed to???

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Thank you. will wait and see. if i really have the itch to play all stars.

I like that the Vita did pretty well! I can't remember who it was. but there was an company that said that they found remarkable success only on the vita.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Policenaut posted:

I'd be down for all of those, assuming they don't run like poo poo

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
From what I saw of the demo for DQH1+2 I wouldn't hold my breath.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I couldn't get into either DQ Heroes game. They just felt generally off from other musou games. Pretty sure Hyrule Warriors 2 will have a place on the Switch, though.

And while I know I shouldn't be, I'm getting excited for All Stars.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Clone weapons are fine I guess, as long as the animations and charge attacks are all mixed up.

I mean it sort of happened before (Guan Yu and Zhang Liao in DW3 - DW5) so there's hope?

Edit:
Although I don't know how they'll split Lingqi and Xingcai in this regard... Hopefully Lingqi gets some hyper-aggressive high-damage moveset in line with her father while Xingcai stays the same as DW8.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Aug 26, 2017

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Edit:
Although I don't know how they'll split Lingqi and Xingcai in this regard... Hopefully Lingqi gets some hyper-aggressive high-damage moveset in line with her father while Xingcai stays the same as DW8.

Think of Linqui's EX's from 8 Complete and Empires. One's damage, one's a self+ally buff. Unlike her father, she gives a poo poo about others. It's possible it'll be aggressive, but if there isn't some buff, they'll have missed their own point; she's different. Better as a person and as a commander.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:
These weapon swaps don't make any sense and, since Zhang He has been my favorite character since DW3, are actively irritating. gently caress DW9.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Question for the thread: Which of the Musou games are worth checking out? I'll say that I'm pretty new to the series; I've played a little bit of Dynasty Warrior 8 on PC (albeit with some frustration over the control setup), but I was wondering what other games are worth checking out, or if there are others that a bit more polished or aren't as daunting.

Apart from DW8, I picked up One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 on Steam, but I don't know what else is recommended. I saw there was a new game due to come out at the end of the month with a bunch of Koei-Techmo characters crossing over. I'm curious if any of the older games still hold up.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Warriors Orochi 3: Ultimate is still pretty fun for an old game. The other two games are dated, but I find 2 is still playable enough. 1 is just really irritating and not worth it unless you gotta know what happened and don't care for summaries.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hyrule Warriors and Samurai Warriors 4 are the only must haves you haven't already mentioned imo and the first one requires you having a WiiU or New3DS.
Do not try playing it on a non-New one.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I would call PW3 a must play, but he owns that one already.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

A Bystander posted:

Warriors Orochi 3: Ultimate is still pretty fun for an old game. The other two games are dated, but I find 2 is still playable enough. 1 is just really irritating and not worth it unless you gotta know what happened and don't care for summaries.
Seconding Wo3U. Insane amount of content, absurdly large roster, stupid-ridiculous story. Systems are pretty polished and give you a lot of different directions to take stuff in. There's just a lot of game there.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
https://twitter.com/KoeiTecmoUS/status/901481616127795201
https://twitter.com/KoeiTecmoUS/status/901474066745479169
https://twitter.com/KoeiTecmoUS/status/901466522110930944

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Zhang Liao didn't win only because he didn't have pretty hair as well.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
https://twitter.com/KoeiTecmoUS/status/901519368915267585 Heres the full rankings.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Xiahou Yuan gets no respect

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

If only Cao Ren and Xu Huang had the opportunities to be the badasses they truly were instead of one-note and mostly-AWOL :sigh:

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Urdnot Fire posted:

If only Cao Ren and Xu Huang had the opportunities to be the badasses they truly were instead of one-note and mostly-AWOL :sigh:

Cao Ren was a badass? What did he do?

I literally "know" 3 things about him:
1.) He was commander at Fan Castle
2.) He has a wicked cop stache.
3.) He is neither Cao Cao or Cao Pi.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Pulled a real-life Dynasty Warriors. Literally charged out into a siege laid by Zhou Yu to save his isolated men. Then did it again when it turned out he left some behind. This with only a few hand-picked men. Single-handedly broke the siege.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 27, 2017

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:

Bloodly posted:

Pulled a real-life Dynasty Warriors. Literally charged out into a siege laid by Zhou Yu to save his isolated men. Then did it again when it turned out he left some behind. This with only a few hand-picked men. Single-handedly broke the siege.

This on top of his previously demonstrated level head and competence when subjugating Lu Bu made him one of Cao Cao's best officers. He wasn't staring down the Sun-Liu alliance for years (so he could eventually participate in the battle at Fancheng) for no reason. Purportedly, he was much more ferocious than the video games make him appear.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I love the idea of someone so badass the Dynasty Warriors version is a disappointment.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Chachi posted:

This on top of his previously demonstrated level head and competence when subjugating Lu Bu made him one of Cao Cao's best officers. He wasn't staring down the Sun-Liu alliance for years (so he could eventually participate in the battle at Fancheng) for no reason. Purportedly, he was much more ferocious than the video games make him appear.

Really, just read the novels, and then the history to sort through what little is really known. There's plenty of cool stuff to go around.

Also consider how long it took Guan Yu to actually attempt to attack Fan. And only when Cao Ren's garrison was undermanned. The dwarf with the clown makeup is honestly kind of an insult to how much of a deal the man was.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Which novel translation would people here recommend? I've been meaning to read them since DW2.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

A Bystander posted:

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Seconding Wo3U. Insane amount of content, absurdly large roster, stupid-ridiculous story. Systems are pretty polished and give you a lot of different directions to take stuff in. There's just a lot of game there.

Sounds interesting, and it looks like it's on PS4 too.

I guess that leads me to asking if I should stick to buying Musou games on console, considering how Koei-Tecmo doesn't really handle PC ports real well.

Sakurazuka posted:

Hyrule Warriors and Samurai Warriors 4 are the only must haves you haven't already mentioned imo and the first one requires you having a WiiU or New3DS.
Do not try playing it on a non-New one.
(Un)Luckily enough, I do have a Wii U, so Hyrule Warriors is an option for me. I think the positive reaction to that game was what initially piqued my interest in trying a Musou game. The only thing that puts me off from buying Hyrule Warriors, though, is that new copies are still in the $60 range, despite it being out for about three years at this point.

That also reminds me that there were the two Dragon Quest Warriors games. I tried the demo of the second one, but it was over pretty quickly, and I didn't get a really great impression of it. Are those worth checking out?

I looked up Samurai Warriors 4, and there's two different titles; 'Samurai Warriors 4' and Samurai Warriors 4-II'. Is the 4-II a sequel, or a re-release with added content?

Billzasilver posted:

Which novel translation would people here recommend? I've been meaning to read them since DW2.
That actually something I've been meaning to ask about as well. Apart from Romance of the Three Kingdoms, there was also Water Margin (which the Suikoden games took some influence from). I don't know where to look for a copy, though. Amazon sells a couple of different versions, but some of them aren't really well-rated, and I don't know which one would be considered the most accurate version.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The DQ Heroes games are weird beasts, they're kind of Warriors mixed with an actual Dragon Quest game mixed with tower defence? Some people like em, some people hate em.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

for the book, i personally went with the moss roberts translation. 4-2 is a glorified expansion. they used to do them so they worked like the classic expansion packs you know, but a lawsuit put an end to that so you got 4-2. i highly suggest getting 4 instead. but also don't buy and play too many musou games in a row

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Davincie posted:

also don't buy and play too many musou games in a row

This is good advice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Davincie posted:

don't buy and play too many musou games in a row
This. Was pretty loving burned out on Musou after getting every DW/SW game from DW3 all the way up to and including WO, and then I just ignored the lot until DW8:XL. Haven't bought another since then either because I'm still somehow finding sudden bursts of several hours' worth of entertainment in it.

But hey, at least I was burned out before DW6 could eat my money.