Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Good write-up, can we have one for the bolt rifle variants too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It's basically identical, except all of them having the same Strength means there's less outright variety.

Stalker: Heavy 1, 36", S4 AP-2
Regular: Rapid Fire 1, 30", S4 AP-1
Auto: Assault 2, 24", S4 AP0

The Stalker is decent at putting wounds on vehicles if you have nothing better to do with it, and is actually really good (relatively speaking) at putting wounds on heavy infantry. -2 AP is nothing to sneeze at, and with a 36" range you'll be shooting most squads turn one without moving. At 3+ BS, 4+ to wound, and 5+ saves against power armor (6+ against a typical 4+ save, and no save for anyone else) you're looking at a quick couple wounds against something very early and typically outside of good response range.

Regular: Jack of all trades, kills lots of stuff very well. Very good rapid fire range, AP is king against horde armies.

Auto: I am a Blood Angels player, and strongly suspect our chapter tactic is going to be "Advance then Charge", so this is going to be mine. It's literally a Storm Bolter from last edition, that's it. Plus the box mags look cool as poo poo.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Strobe posted:

Auto: I am a Blood Angels player, and strongly suspect our chapter tactic is going to be "Advance then Charge", so this is going to be mine. It's literally a Storm Bolter from last edition, that's it. Plus the box mags look cool as poo poo.

Hey, it's me!

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I could probably run numbers on expected wounds versus various toughness and armor save values at different ranges, but honestly that's getting way too :effort:. Suffice to say, the regular versions are better on average against any given target, the heavy are better against harder targets at the given scale (heavy infantry for Stalker Bolt Rifles, heavy vehicles for plasma), and the assault are better if you want your entire army moving all the time very quickly.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
The rapid fire variants are the best options in each instance, and it's not particularly close.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Before I go digging for it does someone have a handy link to the google drive with all the codicies pdf's?

I'm thinking about a thing and I'd like some help. I'm wrapping up my Blood Angels and I'm gonna start working on a new army. I'm planning on doing it in a Chris Foss style 80's loud & ridiculous paint style. The only thing I have to do is nail down the actuqal faction. Model wise I think that both flavors of Space Elf, Tau and Necrons are solid options for the paint style.

This leaves play style... I love my jumpy marines and I like big shooty. I don't much care for gun lines but the foot slogging inexhaustible armies of Terminators is somewhat appealing. I don't know which of the adequate armies fit that.

For reference I'm not just thinkling about that Black mask over vivid hues piece by Foss, I like the geometric ones too. I actually think I could pull of a space wolf successor army painted like that and using those cool flyer transport but I want to stay away from old marines at this point.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.
I think the Foss style on Tau would help them really look more alien as I feel their mechanical design is just too human.

That being said a lot of his ships scream Dark Eldar to me in the more 80's big hair space pirate theme than the Hellraiser gothclub thing; but the DE model sculpts really lean towards the latter and I don't know how to escape that short of just kitbashing the gently caress out of some Eldar and like Spacewolf or PP nautical bits.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Against massed Tyranid warriors, which bolt rifle variant is the best, and which plasma incinerator variant is the best?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
What armor save do they get, normally, and are you furnishing rerolls to hit and/or wound?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

They're T4, W3, and with 4+ saves. I guess I would have either my Primaris captain or the Primaris lieutenants from the starter box hanging around, possibly both at once.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

DiHK posted:

Before I go digging for it does someone have a handy link to the google drive with all the codicies pdf's?

I'm thinking about a thing and I'd like some help. I'm wrapping up my Blood Angels and I'm gonna start working on a new army. I'm planning on doing it in a Chris Foss style 80's loud & ridiculous paint style. The only thing I have to do is nail down the actuqal faction. Model wise I think that both flavors of Space Elf, Tau and Necrons are solid options for the paint style.

This leaves play style... I love my jumpy marines and I like big shooty. I don't much care for gun lines but the foot slogging inexhaustible armies of Terminators is somewhat appealing. I don't know which of the adequate armies fit that.

For reference I'm not just thinkling about that Black mask over vivid hues piece by Foss, I like the geometric ones too. I actually think I could pull of a space wolf successor army painted like that and using those cool flyer transport but I want to stay away from old marines at this point.

I paint a bunch of checker patterns and simplistic heraldry on my 30k Dark Angels.

Enjoy. :shepicide:

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

goose willis posted:

They're T4, W3, and with 4+ saves. I guess I would have either my Primaris captain or the Primaris lieutenants from the starter box hanging around, possibly both at once.

I'd use the rapid fire versions of both guns- Unless you have a specific strategy that demands the other ones. The rapid fire are going to be the best generalist guns but the others will all have a niche that you may need to fill, either additional range or mobility.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Stalker Bolt Rifle (assuming both rerolls): 10 shots, 7.77 hits, 4.53 wounds, 3.78 failed saves on average. You'll kill one Warrior, and sometimes put a wound on another with average shooting.

Bolt Rifle: 20 shots inside Rapid Fire range, 15.55 hits, 9.07 wounds, 6.05 failed saves on average. You'll kill two Warriors. This drops to 3.02 outside of Rapid Fire.

Auto Rifle: Same as above for shots, hits, and wounds, but you're down to 4.53 failed saves at full range.

Conclusion: The regular Bolt Rifle is best up to range 15". Outside 15" and up to 24", the Auto is best. Outside 24", the Stalker is best.

For plasma, it's a bit more complicated, but you'll get roughly the same numbers.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
After waffling back and forth between Blood Ravens and loyalist Alpha Legion, I saw the Alphic Hydras and the scales have been tipped.

I found a guide using Tamiya clear and I think I'm good. Here's a test model.

I like how the color came out, my only quibble is I have no idea how to highlight or detail that really.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
methinks you stuck with washes and glazes. Love that color though.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I think that for something like that you would do your highlights and shading before putting on the Tamiya.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

mango sentinel posted:

After waffling back and forth between Blood Ravens and loyalist Alpha Legion, I saw the Alphic Hydras and the scales have been tipped.

I like how the color came out, my only quibble is I have no idea how to highlight or detail that really.

Highlight the metal before the clear coat. So, build up progressively brighter silvers, then do the blue.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

I haven't painted a mini in about 5 years, here's my test model for my new Black Templars army.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

goose willis posted:

Against massed Tyranid warriors

What world are we living in

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
This is my favorite Tyranids paintjob ever

https://armiesonparade.com/2017/08/18/get-inspired-for-armies-on-parade-eddies-tyranids/

I posted about it when I saw it in White Dwarf last year, but now there's better pictures

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord

mango sentinel posted:

I recently experimented with silvers and washes and was able to get some iridescent purple going on.

I found I had best results with two Coats of the primary colour over the silver and then a coat or two of black wash to shade and darken the model. Experiment my man and try and get a solid shade with the colours.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Killer_Bees! posted:

I recently experimented with silvers and washes and was able to get some iridescent purple going on.

I found I had best results with two Coats of the primary colour over the silver and then a coat or two of black wash to shade and darken the model. Experiment my man and try and get a solid shade with the colours.

Those look incredible

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!

Soviet Commubot posted:

I haven't painted a mini in about 5 years, here's my test model for my new Black Templars army.

I need to know where I can get a ruff for my marines. :allears:

EDIT: Space Wolves don't count.

Sykic fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Aug 27, 2017

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Strobe posted:

Stalker Bolt Rifle (assuming both rerolls): 10 shots, 7.77 hits, 4.53 wounds, 3.78 failed saves on average. You'll kill one Warrior, and sometimes put a wound on another with average shooting.

Bolt Rifle: 20 shots inside Rapid Fire range, 15.55 hits, 9.07 wounds, 6.05 failed saves on average. You'll kill two Warriors. This drops to 3.02 outside of Rapid Fire.

Auto Rifle: Same as above for shots, hits, and wounds, but you're down to 4.53 failed saves at full range.

Conclusion: The regular Bolt Rifle is best up to range 15". Outside 15" and up to 24", the Auto is best. Outside 24", the Stalker is best.

For plasma, it's a bit more complicated, but you'll get roughly the same numbers.

Don't forget about the aux grenade launcher. Less useful on any but the rapid fire variant (either because you will want to advance with the assault or sit back a bit with the heavy). It replaces your 1-2 bolter shots, but the frag is better against a lot of T3 troops while the krak gives you a bit of multi-wound ability against T5/6 multiwound troops.
Granted I can't remember the price for it. Anything more than 5 points and it is probably not worth it. Also, without removing the restrictions on grenades only one marine per squad can shoot (they give you the option for 2 because of combat squad).

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It's 1 point, and the Krak Grenade is flat out superior to the standard Bolt Rifle beyond 15", and is comparable with the Stalker Bolt Rifle up to its maximum range, slight advantage against T3 and T5/6. Against T5 (and only T5), the Frag Grenade is superior to the Auto Bolt Rifle, but is otherwise in every way inferior except for range.

Generally speaking, I'd run it in squads of 10 Auto Bolt Rifles with one Krak Grenade just for heavy infantry. Otherwise, the Auto is generally pretty good against things that want to get closer to you, because you can keep advancing and stay ahead of them. Or if you're Blood Angels, and the chapter tactic is actually to Advance and Charge (which would make the Auto Bolt Rifle hands down their best option).

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Sykic posted:

I need to know where I can get a ruff for my marines. :allears:

EDIT: Space Wolves don't count.

The torsoes and tabards are from Spellcrow

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I did a thing.

I consider the stock grenade launcher to be... inadequate.

Science Rocket
Sep 4, 2006

Putting the Flash in Flash Man

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I did a thing.

That is loving genius, I have like 10 billion grenade launchers from my guard...

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Science Rocket posted:

That is loving genius, I have like 10 billion grenade launchers from my guard...

Send some to me. I only have three left.

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi
Speaking of Black Templars, I can't find anything that says you need to take Grimaldus to take the Cenobyte Servitors now? So I can spend 6 points for a big aura of automatically passing morale?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Nighttheii posted:

Speaking of Black Templars, I can't find anything that says you need to take Grimaldus to take the Cenobyte Servitors now? So I can spend 6 points for a big aura of automatically passing morale?

Yes. Theyre seperate entities now.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Zaphod42 posted:

https://armiesonparade.com/2017/08/18/get-inspired-for-armies-on-parade-eddies-tyranids/

I posted about it when I saw it in White Dwarf last year, but now there's better pictures

It took me this long to realize the guy painted them up based on the scheme native to mantis shrimps, truly the alpha predators of the meme crustacean world.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I did a thing.

Thanks for this. Just ordered 12 of these from ebay for like 8 bucks, shipped.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
That'll do Beer4theBeerGod. That'll do.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

That is one serious Pro-Pipe. :stwoon:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

The Sex Cannon posted:

What if I don't bring tanks?

Then I'll finally have an army tailored to beat you, the T3 infantry meta won't know what hit it once it my footslogging close combat Black Templars come to town

Sykic posted:

It's not too late to be posting our bigmars, right?
These dudes are dope as hell, that paintscheme rules. You gonna do transfers/iconography on them?

Soviet Commubot posted:

This dude looks cool. I don't know if it's the photo or the paintjob, but it does look kind of low contrast though. The highlights aren't really popping anywhere and as a result the model looks a little muddled.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I did a thing.

This looks like a tacticool version of a gun from Splatoon and I kinda love it.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

For_Great_Justice posted:

But Ogryn can be put in regular guard tanks, or used to be at least. I don't know if thats still viable.

Each Ogryn takes up a three spot, so you can throw four of them into a Chimera, or three of them with a Ministorum Priest, say. With the changes to the Morale rules they don't need to be babysitted constantly by a Commissar like in the old days, so going four is probably viable.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

Zaphod42 posted:

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

It took me this long to realize the guy painted them up based on the scheme native to mantis shrimps, truly the alpha predators of the meme crustacean world.

If I ever got a hold of some nids I would want to paint them up something like this:

Grey/white on the body with black joints and forelimbs, yellowish upper limbs and then the yellow/black pattern on the armor plates.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Skails posted:

If I ever got a hold of some nids I would want to paint them up something like this:

Grey/white on the body with black joints and forelimbs, yellowish upper limbs and then the yellow/black pattern on the armor plates.

Ooo i like that idea! I would do something like this:

I always thought the poison frog look worked well on nids. Never liked the stock color scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
Painting something like that for an actual Nids army would be pretty rough. I painted almost 200 guants and I couldn't imagine the amount of time it would take to but that level of detail in each one. It would look pretty amazing though.