Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Haha when I asked for a #14 lens Airgas opened by telling me they don't sell them for the eclipse. I simply said it was for government contract work and I couldn't tell them what it was for. They were sold out anyways. Like fuckers couldn't open with that information instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Weird they'd care who bought them. It's not like 14 is really in high demand for welders.

12 was pretty perfect, though. It was a way clearer view than those cardboard glasses, but still dim enough that your eyes had to adjust to even find the sun.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Used my auto mask cranked to 13... I wish I knew that pointing a remote on them will trigger it, since they wouldn't trigger at peak eclipse. My co workers wouldn't trigger at all.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

eddiewalker posted:

Weird they'd care who bought them. It's not like 14 is really in high demand for welders.

12 was pretty perfect, though. It was a way clearer view than those cardboard glasses, but still dim enough that your eyes had to adjust to even find the sun.

Because a few days later they'll eat them all as returns. I can't say that I blame them.

Also, actually got to do a real project on a buddy's car. The makita impact came in very handy, but lacked the umph to break some of the more stubborn exhaust bolts free. The gearwrench impact sockets grabbed perfectly and overall the small total package of impact and socket was nice given some of the tight spots we were shoving it. Also didn't even run down a single battery despite seeing plenty of use. Might still need a set of swivel sockets for the really fucky spots though.

The wera metal 3/8s ratchet also got turned with plenty of anger due to a distinct lack of space for a proper breaker bar of some of the crustier nuts. Didn't miss a beat and had 0 slop even after being reefed on hard. Buddy now wants an equivalent ratchet of his own after feeling how smooth the action was. This was immediately after I had just gone full 300lb floridiaman on it breaking free an exhaust nut.

A++ tools, would buy again.

Next up, I need a loving pry bar. Indexing or not still to be determined.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Recommendations for a vacuum brake bleeder? I'm finding myself doing more solo work and the hand pump does not cut it.

Contenders:

Vacula- Also sold as Snapon
https://www.amazon.com/vacula-vac120161050-bleeder-refiller-bottle/dp/b003hr418u

OTC 8104- Also sold as Snapon
https://www.amazon.com/OTC-8104-Vacuum-Brake-Bleeder/dp/B008S8W3QA

Mityvac- 6835
https://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-MV6835-Vacuum-Brake-Bleeding/dp/B0015POUXM

Capri- Knockoff of older Vacula design.
https://www.amazon.com/Capri-Tools-Vacuum-Brake-Bleeder/dp/B00OM751EC

Alternative- I have large MityVac fluid extractor for transmissions/diffs/oil changes and they apparently make an adapter.
https://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-7205-Evacuator-Bleeding-Accessory/dp/B000M6035O

the spyder fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 24, 2017

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I've never had any luck with vacuum-bleeders, but I love my DIY positive-pressure setup.

I picked up a junkyard master cylinder lid, drilled it for a hose barb and attached it to a garden sprayer. Works perfect. Just cut the spray tip off the wand so you can use the spray-trigger lock.

Should be out of the hardware store for less than $30.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I have a Sealey one that is seemingly identical to these:

https://www.amazon.com/Titan-TIT51885-Vacuum-Brake-Bleeder/dp/B016YW6XL2
https://www.amazon.com/BikeMaster-1-Liter-Pneumatic-Brake-Bleeder/dp/B00BANZSJO
https://www.amazon.com/8milelake-Pneumatic-Bleeder-Cylinder-Adapters/dp/B013WKCKW0

The bleed nipple cap doesn't get a perfect seal, and it definitely sucks air in around the side, but that doesn't seem to stop it working, and it let me bleed my Landie's twin leading shoe drums, which are legendary for being a pig to do. Cheap, too.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Irony is we have a Motive power bleeder and about 50% of the time I try it on a Rx-7, it leaks everywhere. I've tried different caps and even made a few of my own to no luck.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
is it leaking where it attaches to the reservoir?

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I have this and it's worked fine the 5-10 times I've used it. The only negative is that it sucks air in from around the bleeder into the vacuum line which doesn't have any impact on the bleed quality but does make it hard to know when to stop since the line is always full of bubbles.

I was going to get/make a pressure bleeder but I heard too many stories of trouble with the reservoir adapters and lost interest

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

BraveUlysses posted:

is it leaking where it attaches to the reservoir?

Yes and I've replaced the gaskets, used RTV to back fill the custom adapter. It's just frustrating. I was hoping vacuum bleeding is the answer.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

That's COUNT Vacula to you.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

That's COUNT Vacula to you.
Functional calipers? One! ONE functional caliper! Ah ah ah!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I agree with everything said about vacuum and pressure bleeders. Given the option, I prefer leaking fluid over air at the bleed nipples. A couple of rags kept me clean and safe up front while it pushed a pint of fluid easily through my system.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

StormDrain posted:

I agree with everything said about vacuum and pressure bleeders. Given the option, I prefer leaking fluid over air at the bleed nipples.
The air is going into be bleeder pipe past the seal on the nipple. It's not going into the brake system.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

My gunson pressure bleeder needs a new cap and they cost as much as a whole new kit. I need to go junkyarding.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

InitialDave posted:

The air is going into be bleeder pipe past the seal on the nipple. It's not going into the brake system.

Right, but it still makes it hard to tell when it's clear. Are there really 15000 tiny bubbles in the line or are they from the threads?

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00XWK7SNC/ref=pd_aw_sim_sbs_263_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=NB6MC6F417JG3457CF75

I got one of these clamp tight tools as a gift years ago and never really used it till today when i was short a hose clamp, it's pretty badass. It uses wire to make a hose clamp. You have to watch a video or something to see how to use it but its really easy and makes a drat good clamp. This thing and a roll of wire is going in my car toolkits from now on you could whip up a patch on a hose pretty easy with this. You could hold all kinds of poo poo together with it in a pinch really. Its pretty cool. No idea how well it holds up in the long run but i dont see why it wouldnt.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
For the bubbles off the nipple use like silicone or grease or anything really it won't suck into the brakes.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

DogonCrook posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00XWK7SNC/ref=pd_aw_sim_sbs_263_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=NB6MC6F417JG3457CF75

I got one of these clamp tight tools as a gift years ago and never really used it till today when i was short a hose clamp, it's pretty badass. It uses wire to make a hose clamp. You have to watch a video or something to see how to use it but its really easy and makes a drat good clamp. This thing and a roll of wire is going in my car toolkits from now on you could whip up a patch on a hose pretty easy with this. You could hold all kinds of poo poo together with it in a pinch really. Its pretty cool. No idea how well it holds up in the long run but i dont see why it wouldnt.

this is the only tool i found cool enough to buy at SEMA when i went a few years ago, still havent needed to use it yet

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

BraveUlysses posted:

this is the only tool i found cool enough to buy at SEMA when i went a few years ago, still havent needed to use it yet

In two decades you will find a reason to use it. Then you'll spend 3 hours trying to find it. Then 5 months will pass and you'll clean your garage and there it will it be. Right there were you left it.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I've seen that ClampTite thing before but it always seem to be sold as an emergency fix.

I'm about to plumb up my whole MG fuel and cooling system. If I get some nice stainless wire, could I do up the whole car presentably? I really don't want to buy a whole pile of worm clamps.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I would practice on various rubber hose bits first. Making "Presentable" clamps with that thing takes patience and skill.

Half rear end clamps that "get-er-done" do not.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I carry one in my toolkit for work. It's been handy a dozen or two times or so over ~6 years. They can be ridiculously strong in the right circumstances. I've only used it on hoses a few times, mostly I use it to make the worlds tightest/most UV resistant zip tie or for horrifying hack work to hold something together in the field.

I don't know if I'd want to use it for long term hose clamps in an engine bay just because the wire is relatively thin. I have no data to support that being a potential problem, though. The biggest issue might actually be clearance to get the tool on some hoses and managing to swing it around to finish off the clamp.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Aug 27, 2017

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Yeah its real selling point is how often do you have every size of clamp handy especially if a big hose clamp gives out. I never seem to have those.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Hypnolobster posted:

I carry one in my toolkit for work. It's been handy a dozen or two times or so over ~6 years. They can be ridiculously strong in the right circumstances. I've only used it on hoses a few times, mostly I use it to make the worlds tightest/most UV resistant zip tie or for horrifying hack work to hold something together in the field.

I don't know if I'd want to use it for long term hose clamps in an engine bay just because the wire is relatively thin. I have no data to support that being a potential problem, though. The biggest issue might actually be clearance to get the tool on some hoses and managing to swing it around to finish off the clamp.

Yeah over time i think you may be right even if you doubled the wrap its going to dig in. Eventually hose will ooze out of those slats in worm gear so this woukd probably just get swallowed up or cut through faster.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Looks cool for "in a pinch" situations but I wouldn't do an entire car with them. They're not really serviceable like a normal clamp. Imagine trying to get one off and on buried in an engine bay later down the road. NOPE.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

DogonCrook posted:

Yeah over time i think you may be right even if you doubled the wrap its going to dig in. Eventually hose will ooze out of those slats in worm gear so this woukd probably just get swallowed up or cut through faster.
If you use wire that's 1/8" diameter or more, it's likely no worse than standard wire type hose clamps.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

DogonCrook posted:

Yeah its real selling point is how often do you have every size of clamp handy especially if a big hose clamp gives out. I never seem to have those.

Agreed, I've got one on my wish list for this and field repairs. I once bought a box of Horror Fright hose clamps to try and fix the 'never the right size" problem. Turns out they're loving useless and weaker than zip ties.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Band-it Clamps are an alternative option. But we use them mostly for fire hoses and poo poo like that that you never want to come off cos you need an angle grinder to remove em normally.

https://www.band-it-idex.com/

I finally got to use the big 3/4" drive Milwaukee rattle gun to change a tyre on our bobcat at work- 3/4" wheel studs. They're normally done up to about 250 ft/lb and rusted on. This thing took em off like they were the nuts holding down a rocker cover, and putting them back on I could see the rim distorting as the nuts pulled down hard! :stare:

Its not THAT much bigger than the 1/2" drive hi-torque version either.... im almost tempted to get one for myself and a good 3/4" --> 1/2" adapter....

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
UK goons: I need a hub puller, one that isn't rubbish, and is in stock somewhere that's open tomorrow.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

You're pretty much limited to Machine Mart at this point.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

You're pretty much limited to Machine Mart at this point.
Yeah, figured as much, will pay them a visit tomorrow. Halfords only had the multi-leg type, which was predictably rubbish.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, figured as much, will pay them a visit tomorrow. Halfords only had the multi-leg type, which was predictably rubbish.

Was it Ripspeed branded?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BigPaddy posted:

Was it Ripspeed branded?
Nah, Laser.

It's not really the tool's fault, as such, they're all like that in my experience. Fine for lighter stuff, but out of their depth for ejecting a driveshaft spline that doesn't fancy moving.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

If you have the option to pick up anything by Sykes-Pickavant I can't recommend them enough. British brand, every part available as a spare, never had any complaints when I buy them for the lads at work. Nicely made stuff too.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Not sure if they're stocked by any of the usual suspects, but will have a look. They may be more than I want to spend on what is effectively a one-hit tool, too. Annoyingly, my mate has a seriously beefy old puller that by some miracle would be almost the perfect PCD for this hub, but unfortunately the centre bore isn't big enough for the hub spigot.

I'll see what i find.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Ferremit posted:

Band-it Clamps are an alternative option. But we use them mostly for fire hoses and poo poo like that that you never want to come off cos you need an angle grinder to remove em normally.

https://www.band-it-idex.com/

I finally got to use the big 3/4" drive Milwaukee rattle gun to change a tyre on our bobcat at work- 3/4" wheel studs. They're normally done up to about 250 ft/lb and rusted on. This thing took em off like they were the nuts holding down a rocker cover, and putting them back on I could see the rim distorting as the nuts pulled down hard! :stare:

Its not THAT much bigger than the 1/2" drive hi-torque version either.... im almost tempted to get one for myself and a good 3/4" --> 1/2" adapter....

I'm pretty sure the spec on those is like 160 ft-lbs, though. I've never needed more than a 1/2" impact to get them off, and I've worked on Bobcats that are maintained by farmers.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

cakesmith handyman posted:

If you have the option to pick up anything by Sykes-Pickavant I can't recommend them enough. British brand, every part available as a spare, never had any complaints when I buy them for the lads at work. Nicely made stuff too.

Sykes-Pickavant is the most British tool company name ever.

(I own a set of their trim removers, they're quite nice.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

EKDS5k posted:

I'm pretty sure the spec on those is like 160 ft-lbs, though. I've never needed more than a 1/2" impact to get them off, and I've worked on Bobcats that are maintained by farmers.

We're government. We're like farmers but the operators dont rely on or own the machine. If it breaks, they just walk away.

Normally lug nuts are done up by an 'operator' with the IR 1/2" air impact until it stops ugga dugging....