Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Melth posted:

!!!

I never played this game but I heard of it once and it sounded cool, yet because I don't know the name I could never find out anything about it.

Rise and Fall: Civilisations at War.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro4S8hxcTaQ&list=PLUrUX2JIzi4dE4zUa05kQlhCn1gnHD6-b

Released 2006. Somehow released for free with ads 2008. Somehow the US Air Force was involved with this.

Extra fixes are required to get it working thanks to issues. Frankly, I've given up on it.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Zore posted:

I have immense nostalgia for Impossible Creatures and Rise of Legends for their unique mechanics and settings even if they're a bit janky.

Both are highly enjoyable, but could be better yeah. But if you want a good game that's really janky, look no farther than Perimeter. Balls hard and weird as gently caress, but it is surprisingly deep and fun.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Glazius posted:

It may just be because you've pushed this game to its limits but at times it seems like they drastically underestimated the effects of a solid offense.

Oh absolutely. I think this is true in most RTSes though. The key to wild success in most RTS campaigns is to grab all your starting forces and do something unexpected and aggressive with them. The developers understood how fast you could build an economy and will have balanced the waves that come at you accordingly. The only unknown to them is how good you are with your starting forces.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Melth posted:

!!!

I never played this game but I heard of it once and it sounded cool, yet because I don't know the name I could never find out anything about it.

I believe it is Rise And Fall Civilizations At War

Mostly notable in my mind for letting you actually build ships and walls and put people on them and have fights like that. It does have a certain age of mythology feel to it so you probably would enjoy it. I played it a fair bit when I was young, a strange but cool game.

It is also, apparently, available for free because midway released a free version in conjuction with.. the us air force?

http://www.gamershell.com/news_61804.html

(heck yeah gamershell link)

E: last page was not the last page...

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 25, 2017

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Melth posted:

Oh absolutely. I think this is true in most RTSes though. The key to wild success in most RTS campaigns is to grab all your starting forces and do something unexpected and aggressive with them. The developers understood how fast you could build an economy and will have balanced the waves that come at you accordingly. The only unknown to them is how good you are with your starting forces.

There's at least one (extremely bad) RTS I know of where the easiest campaign strategy by far is to just turtle and tech until you have more of the biggest, baddest unit than the AI does, because the AI is completely incapable of dealing with them except by matching them unit for unit.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

OwlFancier posted:

I believe it is Rise And Fall Civilizations At War

Mostly notable in my mind for letting you actually build ships and walls and put people on them and have fights like that. It does have a certain age of mythology feel to it so you probably would enjoy it. I played it a fair bit when I was young, a strange but cool game.

It is also, apparently, available for free because midway released a free version in conjuction with.. the us air force?

http://www.gamershell.com/news_61804.html

(heck yeah gamershell link)

E: last page was not the last page...
Ah man I tried to download it but appears something is wrong with the authentication key

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Slaan posted:

Both are highly enjoyable, but could be better yeah. But if you want a good game that's really janky, look no farther than Perimeter. Balls hard and weird as gently caress, but it is surprisingly deep and fun.

Another good yet obscure RTS: Act of War: Direct Action and its expansion.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Another good yet obscure RTS: Act of War: Direct Action and its expansion.

Also yes hella good and full of cheesy westwood style cutscenes. Really really good air support mechanic which sadly was not carried over well to the sequel.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
So I can beat the next mission in under 7 minutes with zero casualties by a technique which is pretty clever but also skips all the battles. Show of hands, who wants that and who would rather see a longer and messier actual fight?

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Messier fight as primary video, but if you have the time when the LP is finished go back and show off your cleverness.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
I'm here to watch you make the game scream. I want to see maximum cleverness.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Do the skip, but give us a brief summary of what the map would normally be like in your narration

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Por que no los dos?

If its not too much then make the short video on the side, otherwise show us the more normal way.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Maximum cleverness, but if you've got footage of the two I wouldn't mind a little bonus episode.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

I would like to see the mission played somewhat as intended but wouldn't mind an explanation/side video of the trick

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Shoot if its only 7min, why not both? Sounds like its not a lot of effort added to doing the bigger video.

e: that said if you have to pick one, do the fun way, whichever that is to you.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

If you're willing to do both, that would solve that nicely, but if you aren't I vote for maximum cleverness. I'm sure I can dig up somebody playing through the campaign the normal way if I really want to see that, but it's just so much more fun to watch when you break the game in half.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I feel like it would be good to have a couple missions that involve a more straightforward and bloody approach.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

FoolyCharged posted:

Shoot if its only 7min, why not both? Sounds like its not a lot of effort added to doing the bigger video.

e: that said if you have to pick one, do the fun way, whichever that is to you.

Generally it takes me about 1 hour of total creation time per minute, so if I did a 7 minute video plus a 12 minute one (I've found I can do it with clever conventional play in about 12 minutes) that's gonna take me like 19 hours.

The vote here seems to have been a draw, so I'll make the choice and keep you all in suspense till then! (You may now begin placing your bets)

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Aw I shoulda voted for both.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I admit I enjoy seeing you just play through missions where you can't skip everything, but then I have fond memories of the game and that's perhaps not the point of the thread, per se.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I want the short version, but with explanations as to what would be the normal strategy, thanks!

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Sounds like you've already picked, but I'd prefer the short version. Seeing you break the game as much as possible (while still meeting all mission objectives) is amazing.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Have we passed any missions where sequence breaking would have resulted in a much faster time? I'd be curious to see how a true maximum gottagofast run of this game would look as a side thing. Also, have you considered submitting your fastest videos to speedrun.com? The only other runs I find are all on easy difficulty. (tip: record your practice runs, if they end up being faster, just submit that)

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Asehujiko posted:

Have we passed any missions where sequence breaking would have resulted in a much faster time? I'd be curious to see how a true maximum gottagofast run of this game would look as a side thing. Also, have you considered submitting your fastest videos to speedrun.com? The only other runs I find are all on easy difficulty. (tip: record your practice runs, if they end up being faster, just submit that)

Oh loads of them. If you sequence break you can basically skip all kinds of levels. It would be quite boring a lot of the time in fact, which is why I always said I'd do all the objectives.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
I'm using Labor Day Weekend (and a recent lull in stuff to do) to get ahead on this LP. I've got mission 21 already uploaded and ready for tomorrow and I just recorded 22 5 minutes ago

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Here's chapter 21:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H19Vd1nSgg

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Ahahaha.

I love you talking about how dangerous Circe can be and then just obliterating her. God powers are kind of nuts.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

:stare:

I shouldn't keep getting surprised at this point.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Was this a known tactic that existing speedruns use?

I'm really glad you decided to show off the fast way

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Maybe Odysseus really wanted to get laid?

Edit: Also, holy Hell that was one heck of a victory.

Emperordaein
Jul 1, 2013
So for more fun flavor text, Boar Arkantos and Boar Ajax have amusing descriptions on their info pages (Like saying that being turned into a boar didn't change Ajax's personality in any way) and for the pigs, the description for them reads: "Eating this pig will make you sad."

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Huh. I never knew about that priest.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's interesting how different they tried to make the development of these mythologies feel. The Norse are especially interesting - am I right in guessing the ox cart doesn't need to return to drop the resources, they're available the second they hit the wagon?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Completely right. It does need micro to be moved around and is a little slow so you don't really gain that much by having them instead of storage buildings.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
I always though the first talking pig sounded like Nathan Lane. "We're all going to die!"

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

cheetah7071 posted:

Was this a known tactic that existing speedruns use?

I'm really glad you decided to show off the fast way

I've never seen another video use it, but that's mainly because the other speedrunners are wusses who play on easy mode where you can just rush her with your starting forces and win.

One guy did comment on this youtube video that he also uses petrobolos, so I'm not the first person in the universe to think of it, but I'm 90% sure he doesn't have a video series about it.

Emperordaein posted:

So for more fun flavor text, Boar Arkantos and Boar Ajax have amusing descriptions on their info pages (Like saying that being turned into a boar didn't change Ajax's personality in any way) and for the pigs, the description for them reads: "Eating this pig will make you sad."

I really wish they'd left the option, but we can't even attempt to eat them! Converting your six worthless peltasts into food would be great on this map where food is nonexistent other than fish.

The text about Ajax is actually even better than that though, it's something about how being a boar might actually be a better fit for his personality.

Glazius posted:

It's interesting how different they tried to make the development of these mythologies feel. The Norse are especially interesting - am I right in guessing the ox cart doesn't need to return to drop the resources, they're available the second they hit the wagon?

Yeah, the Norse are definitely really interesting. They break so many RTS conventions and I love it. That the different civs play so differently has actually always been one of my favorite things about this game. And that they're all identical in age of empires has been why I never liked any of that series.

I'll get into the details of ox carts later, but yes you're correct. The ox cart IS a combined granary/mining camp/lumber camp. It's a mobile drop site. But it costs substantial resources including population, and you have to train them out of your town center which takes away from making villagers. And they're really vulnerable to raiding. Ox carts are a major liability, but they do help with a few things the norse are supposed to specialize in like hunting.

Melth fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 4, 2017

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Melth posted:

Here's chapter 21:

Problem solved.

That was such a simple yet effective and ironic method of dealing with Circe. I love it.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

I'm glad you mentioned and dismissed the bit of myth that involves Odysseus' bastard son coming back to killing him (and IIRC marrying Penelope and Telemachus ends up with Circe???). Poor guy spent two decades away, only one of which was sleeping with a goddess of his own volition -- give him a break! It's not like he was dumb enough to really cheese off the gods (cough Oilean Ajax cough).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Melth posted:

Yeah, the Norse are definitely really interesting. They break so many RTS conventions and I love it. That the different civs play so differently has actually always been one of my favorite things about this game. And that they're all identical in age of empires has been why I never liked any of that series.

That's not really true, in AoE3 there's a lot more differentiation between civs compared to the first two games (especially for the Ottomans), and I think it's fairly obvious they were looking for a middle ground between the relative homogeneity of the first two games and the extreme differentiation of Mythology.

Really, AoM is for all intents and purposes just the third game in the Empires series. Tons of the principles innovated in this game gets carried over to AoE3, as well the greater civ differentiation they have the same engine, units can take up more than one population slot, AoE3 villagers don't need drop off points like the Atlanteans, the campaign is more focused around a fictionalized single story rather than recreating specific non-connected historical events, there's more potential to modify your playstyle over the course of an individual game (in AoM you have the minor gods, in AoE3 you can choose similar advisers when you age up for small benefits, then there's the Home City and the Indian alliances systems), you get a hero-like explorer, extra perks are scattered around the map that the hero/explorer can exploit early on, in general buildings in both games are weaker and easily brought down to make the games less turtley. There's even a 'Revolution' mechanic in AoE3 that's nearly identical to the Ragnarok God Power.

• Locked thread