Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Rhyno posted:

LoL, I thought that was him.

He was also a producer on the film, so it's not like he was just hired to be a background mook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Would it really he that unexpected? A briefly popular tv actor ends up taking any paying role. That's a pretty common story.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Rhyno posted:

Would it really he that unexpected? A briefly popular tv actor ends up taking any paying role. That's a pretty common story.

Like Paul McGillion from Stargate Atlantis playing the principal.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Phylodox posted:

Like Paul McGillion from Stargate Atlantis playing the principal.

Poor Carson.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

teagone posted:

Season 1 of Heroes was so good. I've rewatched it 3 times over now. Will probably again some time before the year's over.

If you change like the last 10-15 minutes of the finale you have a solid one season masterpiece.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Masi Oka, went on and got a job in digital effects with, I believe, ILM.

He still does some acting, but it is not his job.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

The Question IRL posted:

Masi Oka, went on and got a job in digital effects with, I believe, ILM.

He still does some acting, but it is not his job.

dog he was on hawaii five-o for 96 episodes

he worked at ILM before becoming an actor

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

BiggerBoat posted:

So Batman 89's a no go for my six year old.

Scared the Christ out of him and I'd actually forgotten how violent it really was, at least on the front end. We made it about 1/4 of the way through. Shame because I was appreciating certain parts of it. But then again, also found myself recalling why I never cared for it that much.

What a really, really odd film that is.

:colbert: Your child is broken, get a new one.

Just kidding, he is probably still too young for such movies. I was 8 when I watched it back in the cinema and had one hell of a time. Mostly because it was the first big Batman movie back in that decade. But the again, my parents allowed me to watch movies like 80's The Fly, so.... :stare:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I was about that young when it came out and my parents wouldn't let me see it. It's one of my favorite movies still. I knew the story almost completely because I had full sets of the Topps trading cards with that terrible Peepums Nasty Gum theyd give you.

It is a pretty strange movie. Keaton's Bruce Wayne is the weirdest person in the whole thing, which is saying something. The only part about it I don't like is they did a terrible job with Gordon. Between Batman 89s chubby goober and Batman 66s useless dork I didn't have a great opinion of Gordon. It's a dang good thing B:TAS didn't base their Gordon off the movie version like they had to for Penguin and Catwoman.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

purple death ray posted:

Peepums Nasty Gum

I've started MBMBAM recently so I get this reference.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

purple death ray posted:

I was about that young when it came out and my parents wouldn't let me see it. It's one of my favorite movies still. I knew the story almost completely because I had full sets of the Topps trading cards with that terrible Peepums Nasty Gum theyd give you.

It is a pretty strange movie.

Haha that gum that was like a razor blade.

It really is a strange film. I had mixed feelings about when I first saw it and felt the same way this last time. It's highs are really high and then other parts are just...I don't know how to put it..."off"? A lot of it just "misses" somehow but not by any valid critique I can drum up. I admit that's a dumb thing to say but I can't word my issues with it for some reason.

It's like the sum of the parts didn't add up as a whole somehow.

And yeah, to whoever asked, BvS was really nice to look at. Visually I had zero issues with it aside from CGI end boss.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I saw Batman '89 in like Kindergarten, when my only point of reference was Adam West reruns. I remember mostly just being very confused by something called Batman where the first 30 minutes was gangsters in suits taking and almost no Batman.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Wow these are some terrible clips. As good as the action and stunts were in SP2, here they're completely shoddy. SP3 was bad all around. I wish they had bothered using real life stunt men in the Harry fight, its something the Cap movies are pretty good about.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's been 10 years and I still can't work out Spider-Man 3. Was it Sam Raimi deliberately taking the piss because he didn't want to do most of what Sony wanted him to do in it?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's been 10 years and I still can't work out Spider-Man 3. Was it Sam Raimi deliberately taking the piss because he didn't want to do most of what Sony wanted him to do in it?

Sam Raimi tried to cram in the studio's venom movie and his ill-advised Sandman movie into a single feature so the result is a bunch of disjointed scenes that don't have much of a narrative or tonal connection, where plotlines just get resolved by absurd coincidences. Mix in Raimi's taste for camp, and it's one weird loving movie.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

BiggerBoat posted:

So Batman 89's a no go for my six year old.

Scared the Christ out of him and I'd actually forgotten how violent it really was, at least on the front end. We made it about 1/4 of the way through. Shame because I was appreciating certain parts of it. But then again, also found myself recalling why I never cared for it that much.

What a really, really odd film that is.

Maybe Batman Forever? I saw Batman & Robin in theatres and I was around that age, so it might work.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I think it also had something to do with the scheduling, and I remember some hullabaloo about script changes. Either way it was a massive disappointment.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I will stand and defend the Peter Parker musical number scene.

It's stupid, it's dorky, its cringey to watch, and it's perfect Peter Parker. Even at his worst, he's still a total dweeb.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Execs decided to meddle with the movie and instead of relenting, Raimi tried to meld two totally incompatible things into one movie. He should've just done the Venom movie. I know it's not what he wanted, but like...too bad, I guess? Suck it up and do a good film. It's not like they forced the Hypno Hustler on him.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Plus what he wanted sucked.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
He literally could have just adapted the Ultimate Venom origin story and it would have been fine.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Batman and Robin would be great for a six year old. It's the most PG of all of them, full of one liners and flashy costumes

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Batman and Robin would be great for a six year old. It's the most PG of all of them, full of one liners and flashy costumes

6 is a little young to begin questioning your sexuality.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It's too boring for a 6-year old.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ojjeorago posted:

6 is a little young to begin questioning your sexuality.

You joke but no it's not.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Netflix's Death Note was surprisingly fine. 6 or 7/10. It should have been a series and not a movie - it rushed through a lot and would have definitely benefited from cliffhanger endings. Agreed that it gets a lot better near the end.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I was six when it came out and I thought Bane was scary. :(

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I really don't know, can 6 year olds read? Because Batman: Lil' Gotham might be up his alley. There's even an issue about divorced parents still loving their kids.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Wheat Loaf posted:

I was six when it came out and I thought Bane was scary. :(

For all of the one minute he's in it?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Like I said, I saw Batman & Robin in theatres around that age, and when you're a kid you'll love all kinds of stupid poo poo. I'm sure their kid would love it too, but remember: the parent's watching as well.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Watching rise of silver surfer with my girlfriend. What a mistake

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Al Borland Corp. posted:

For all of the one minute he's in it?

I was a massive wimp at the time.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

catlord posted:

Like I said, I saw Batman & Robin in theatres around that age, and when you're a kid you'll love all kinds of stupid poo poo. I'm sure their kid would love it too, but remember: the parent's watching as well.

Hey man that movie is loving great.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

catlord posted:

Like I said, I saw Batman & Robin in theatres around that age, and when you're a kid you'll love all kinds of stupid poo poo.

Yep. My son is all about Spiderman 3 right now. Loves Venom. I've been watching it and the Sandman stuff is really well done. The effects anyway.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Hey man that movie is loving great.

Were you involved in that discussion about it that happened in the Animation Thread? I know there were a couple other people who would agree with you.

I'm not one of them, but I will defend Forever.

Edit: ^^Haha, yeah, one summer my brother watched The Phantom Menace at least once, often twice, and on occasion three loving times, a day every day for like, a month.

catlord fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 27, 2017

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I like Batman and Robin

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Batman & Robin is unironically one of the best movies in the Batman franchise.

Batman Forever and Batman 66 are up there too.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I'm glad there's a different Batman movie for every taste, everyone's happy in the end.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There's only one thing I hate in that movie, the Robin/Ivy fight where they edit in reverse looped footage real bad. It's the laziest thing I've ever seen in a Schumaker film and I can't believe that made final cut. Also Bane is pretty lame.

Things I love:
Bat nipples
Alfred's speech about Batman's motivation
Bat credit cards
Me Freeze wearing polar bear slippers and a robe watching Christmas specials in his frozen lair while his henchmen freeze their asses off
The loving pose Batman does for no one in particular when he captures Freeze
Freeze puns
That old lady played by the wife of the creator of Batman who keeps telling everybody she knows other important people
Ivy's burlesque routine in a gorilla suit
The giant statues all over the place in Gotham
That dog that gets frozen peeing on a fire hydrant
Bat skates
The whole arc of Robin wanting to take more responsibility and Batman treating him like a kid but learning he has to trust him
Ivy's origin with John Glover hamming it up
George Clooney is the most charming Bruce Wayne to date, and the most charming Batman though generally you don't want him to be charming

Things I could take or leave: Batgirl. She's fine, but completely unnecessary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's probably the worst big budget movie ever made and can't even be enjoyed ironically unless you're a really dedicated contrarian.

• Locked thread