Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Do the first three Uncharted games hold up well? I hear the second one is one of the best games of last gen consoles and I just finished the 4th one and thought it was pretty good.

Naughty Dog is a really good studio.

I actually just played through 1 an 2 again a week or so ago, and they still stand up pretty well. Worth playing again if you haven't in a while. Haven't played through 3 yet, though, and never played it before so I can't speak to that one. The boss fight at the end of 2 still sucks pretty bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

I'm currently playing Far Cry 4, and it's pretty good, but holy poo poo I hope they improve the driving. Everything feels weird as gently caress.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Just bought a Raspberry Pi 3 and set up Retropie on it. It's a pretty neat little device. Have any of you nerds used it and know of something fun to do with it besides emulators or cramming it up my rear end?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Marc Laidlaw (the writer behind Half-Life) just released a plot summary for Episode 3.

It's a nice piece of closure since Valve pretty much abandoned the series.

https://github.com/Jackathan/MarcLaidlaw-Epistle3/blob/master/Epistle3_Corrected.md

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Marc Laidlaw (the writer behind Half-Life) just released a plot summary for Episode 3.

https://github.com/Jackathan/MarcLaidlaw-Epistle3/blob/master/Epistle3_Corrected.md

Huh. Alright, then.

So that was Episode 3, I'm assuming that's the nail in the coffin for Half-Life 3 proper.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Seems alright for Episode 3. The scope isn't too crazy, why couldn't Valve just get it done?

The guy must've been kicking himself after he saw Titanfall 2.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Handsome Ralph posted:

Well, poo poo. That seems like it would've been great, but instead we got infinite hats, other cosmetics, and loot boxes :(.

EDIT: I was left alone, riding the weaponized research vessel into the heart of a Combine world. An immense light blazed. I caught a cosmic view of a brilliantly glittering Dyson sphere. The vastness of the Combine's power, the futility of our struggle, blossomed briefly in my awareness. I saw everything. Mainly I saw how the Borealis, our most powerful weapon, would register as less than a fizzling matchhead as it blew itself apart. And what remained of me would be even less than that.

Just then, as you have surely already foreseen, the Vortigaunts parted their own checkered curtains of reality, reached in as they have on prior occasions, plucked me out, and set me aside. I barely got to see the fireworks begin.

loving christ, they even had a fantastic ending. What the gently caress, Valve?

Missionary Positron fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Aug 25, 2017

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Valve realized early on that they can shake money out of nerds forever via Steam and add ons

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
That's just HL2 episode 3, right? Everyone's mourning HL3, but it's clear they just gave up on Ep 3 because they're not going back to do a version on Source or Source 2 or whatever engine it was when they've already been working on a crazy 4D VR version of HL3, right?

...right?

:suicide:

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008
Star Citizen doing what they do best at Gamecom right now.

If you start watching the stream right now, you'll probably catch it just in time for the second live game crash. They had to restart the whole presentation 20 minutes ago and still aren't to the point where they crashed the game...

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

To be fair whatever they showed previously like last year in the gameplay demo looked pretty good 🤷🏽‍♀️

Still all fun to laugh at

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
if this is gameplay footage it looks pretty boring

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.

Grognan posted:

I kind of want to start a revival of Natural Selection 2 but I am pretty sure the wraiths of the leet players that lurk would strangle anyone wanting to learn how to play it in a public server.

It's still loving awesome and it has two-four servers Max pop most hours of the day. IBIS, LUCKY FCKERS, AND DMD. I get in about four hours a week.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Valve should have kept the team that works on steam and the team that builds their game engines/vidja games separate but nope. They gobble up good dev teams like the dudes that did portal and then.. nothing.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

Valve should have kept the team that works on steam and the team that builds their game engines/vidja games separate but nope. They gobble up good dev teams like the dudes that did portal and then.. nothing.

What makes the whole thing even more depressing is the fact that the people responsible for the amazing writing in Portal 1/2 & Half-Life 2 + ep 1/2 (Laidlaw, Wolpaw, Pinkerton, Faliszek) have all left the company.

Nice going there, Gaben.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Valve is basically just a marketing company anymore

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

cowboy elvis posted:

How does that image make you feel, Jerry?

:stwoon:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

And they're raking in cash like never before.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

And apparently, a not very pleasant one.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

the game is rigged, but its the only game in town

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

the game is rigged, but its the only game in town

I like the point in the article that EA is an rear end in a top hat for Origin somehow

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
not sure which sports game i wanna get

i usually get one per year and last year i got nba 2k. haven't gotten a madden since 15.

i would buy all of them if they would let us keep using them in the future and just release official roster updates as some DLC for $10 or something.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I like the point in the article that EA is an rear end in a top hat for Origin somehow

well i mean Valve has gotten incredibly loving scummy over the past seven years but they also put out a product that works and before that all their games were rock solid. I'd love an alternate to steam but I'm not sure I want to trust EA either.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Steam is and always has been superior to Origin.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Origin got a bad name for breaking machines and installing drivers that were basically just malware/trojans that could hijack your machine.

Steam at least kept their DRM on the down low.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 27, 2017

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Those are all true statements, I just meant how people got all up in arms over EA's "obvious scumminess" vice Valve's apparent wholesomeness.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
gently caress EA forever amen

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
EA makes some good games

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

EA makes some good games

I like battlefield 3 and 4 and I hear Titan fall is OK

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Battlefield 1 owns.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I like battlefield 3 and 4 and I hear Titan fall is OK

BF3 and 4 took months to become good. I've only played Titanfall on console, but it's a blast.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Play Titanfall 2. Start with the single player and then come play multiplayer with Pesticide and I.

The single player for TF2 was way better than expected, and the recent coop update for Frontier Defense owns.

I had an OK time in BF1. Liked most aspects of the single player, multiplayer is ok. BF4 continues to outshine BF1 and BFH.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
hardline sucked. i had a lot of fun with bf4 because there was a lot of ways to gently caress around and troll people that was missing from bf1. i got a lot of mileage out of bf1.

haven't played titanfall 2 yet but i've been thinking about getting it.

did call of duty get better? anybody played ww2? or did it just continue to get more ridiculous and bloated? last one i played was either ghosts or black ops 2, whichever one came out more recently.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Steam is the kilogram standard of online game service clients. EA has their shady origin client, GoG has a Steam-like ripoff client with limited DRM, nobody mentioned Ubisoft & their always online requirement yet.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Yeah Valve is shady as gently caress just like every other loving company in the world but they are still putting out a product leaps and bounds better than the competition so I dunno where the e-rage is supposed to lead us

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

EA makes some good games

And they should've stuck to offering them on Steam.

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Steam is the kilogram standard of online game service clients. EA has their shady origin client, GoG has a Steam-like ripoff client with limited DRM, nobody mentioned Ubisoft & their always online requirement yet.

Its why I won't buy Ubisoft games anymore.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

And they should've stuck to offering them on Steam.

Its why I won't buy Ubisoft games anymore.

At this point I forget ubisoft even exists

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

At this point I forget ubisoft even exists

Seems like all the games I get are through Steam and Bethesda/Indie

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
loving lmbo at that article and all you chumps talking poo poo about valve being scummy. they are the reason there are still pc games, and even console players can thank them for getting games on sale regularly

how quickly you forget the old days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
people need something specific to poo poo on in every aspect of their life fam