Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
gently caress cotton, Nomex is where it's at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Oh neat, sexism is over AND all polyester magically turned into Egyptian cotton! Flattering women's-cut khakis overflow from the shelves! Pink-collar work evaporates as the glass ceiling shatters! Female truckers no longer get raped, and all construction workers everywhere just forgot how to pronounce "HEY SHAKE THAT rear end FOR ME, SLUT!"

Why the hell didn't you speak up sooner?

Wait.

Are you trying to equate your personal difficulty in finding flattering Egyptian cotton slacks for your office job to truckers getting raped???

That's kind of sick.

All I was pointing out was that lots of women work low wage jobs and wear poo poo like jeans and a t-shirt. My own wife left for her $11/hr job this morning wearing just that.

For gently caress sake, what do you think the women who make your fancy pants wear to work?

And the women who get laid off from failing retail and take a job at the Amazon warehouse?

Looks a lot like jeans and a t-shirt to me. I guess you are just an out of touch piece of poo poo who forgot some women don't dress up and head to the office everyday. Who knew that one day I would have to explain to a goon that real people thrown on what ever is comfortable and go to their poo poo job.

Take your office job and your rape jokes and get lost. Come back when you can learn not to poo poo all over the women who make and ship your clothes.

For the rest of you interested in the future of retail, the above pictures are it. It's jeans and t-shirts and conveyor belts, and it runs 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It's loud and dirty, and it feels like you have to walk half a mile to find a bathroom. And while you all love to order stuff from Amazon, I'm sure you will be telling your kids to do well in school so they don't end up dressed like a slob at a warehouse job.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

Real American DESTROYS Liberal! +++MUST WATCH

This is all one massive :rolleyes: and you already got told on the statistics question, but I'd just love to know what "rape joke" I made.

Edit: Lmao you literally accused me of wearing fancy pants.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

This is all one massive :rolleyes: and you already got told on the statistics question, but I'd just love to know what "rape joke" I made.

Edit: Lmao you literally accused me of wearing fancy pants.

What is it about women wearing jeans and t-shirts that offends you so much?

Is it because you are "subconsciously unnerved and disgusted by a woman showing up to work in the boxy, saggy outfits"? The reality that many women wear dreary clothes to dreary jobs? Does peaking behind the curtain to see the machinery that fulfills your vapid consumerism bother you?

Again. What do you think the women who make and package your clothes actually wear? Tell me your faux-liberal hot take on how one should dress to impress the unblinking eye of the computer tracking your productivity at an Amazon Fulfillment Center.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Good god you dippy nitwit, are you drunk? Go home. Like literally the only factual thing you've posted today is that some non-zero amount of women can wear jeans and a t-shirt to work, which was never actually in dispute.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

For the rest of you interested in the future of retail, the above pictures are it. It's jeans and t-shirts and conveyor belts, and it runs 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It's loud and dirty, and it feels like you have to walk half a mile to find a bathroom. And while you all love to order stuff from Amazon, I'm sure you will be telling your kids to do well in school so they don't end up dressed like a slob at a warehouse job.

I've been meaning to take a ride out to some of the warehouse construction sites in my area. They are throwing up 500,000, 800,000, 1,000,000 square foot warehouses left and right. It's astounding. And it's all on prime farmland. People frequently freak out about how Iowa and the other midwestern corn/soybean mega operations are depleting ancient aquifers that aren't getting replenished. But here we are in an area of Pennsylvania where we have some of the most productive soil in the country, plenty of water, and it's possible to do decent sustainable farming, and we're paving it all because it's flat and easy to build on.

All Amazon, FedEx, and other retail product warehouses. Many townships zoned a lot of this land as light industrial thinking it would gradually fill in with light manufacturing or something. Instead, this warehouse wave hit in the last few years, and they're scrambling to update their zoning. These projects suck up huge amounts of acreage for a very small number of low-paying jobs. And in 10-20 years, how many will have been automated away? Goddamn depressing.

I still have Amazon Prime :(

EDIT: For reference, this is what's going on:
http://www.mcall.com/news/local/mc-lehigh-valley-inland-empire-20160907-story.html

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Aug 26, 2017

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I've found that it's a hell of a lot easier for me to dress well shopping at thrift shops, as opposed to department stores or the mall. That's obviously subjective and won't work for everyone (I live in a big east coast city and fall squarely in the medium range of clothes, so despite being somewhat Amazonian I probably have more to choose from at thrift shops than other women might), but it may be worth a look. The labels in my closet are fairly insane considering I rarely spend more than ten bucks on anything, and high end stuff is genuinely made a lot better, more built to last; I'll probably be wearing the $7 Escada blazer I scored til I'm eighty. A whole lot of that comes down to luck, however, and rooting through racks of secondhand clothes certainly isn't for everyone, but it can be insanely rewarding.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
In this context you're going to have to clarify what you mean by Amazonian.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Just tall/lanky. Works well for some clothing styles, but not others.

vvv Bookmarked, thanks!

Crow Jane fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 26, 2017

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Crow Jane posted:

Just tall/lanky. Works well for some clothing styles, but not others.

Seriously look at long tall sally. They have so much poo poo for you.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
How did a morbidly delightful thread about the coming archeological remnants of late stage capitalism shift gears into fibers, the fashion industry (design not retail), sexism, rape, and one small dinosaur who seems perpetually on the verge of an apoplectic aneurysm with each and every post? :question:

To contribute, reading about Best was enjoyable. My only memory of them involves getting the giant electronic T-Rex from the first Jurassic Park movie there, only to find it was defective.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Cancelled my prime subscription (it'll run til the end of the year). I don't really like the data gathering Amazon is going to do between Prime subscribers and Whole Foods. Google already has all my data etc. but I don't give them any money. Amazon is trying to sell me poo poo from morning til night, and I don't trust them.

I don't really like the idea of one company having information on so many categories of purchases: books, movies, consumer goods, food... especially when they set the prices for all of them. They already gently caress with pricing in deceptive ways. I don't want to give them more data fuel than I have to.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bloodysabbath posted:

I am very upset that women talk about things without my permission.

Neon Noodle posted:

Cancelled my prime subscription (it'll run til the end of the year). I don't really like the data gathering Amazon is going to do between Prime subscribers and Whole Foods. Google already has all my data etc. but I don't give them any money. Amazon is trying to sell me poo poo from morning til night, and I don't trust them.

I don't really like the idea of one company having information on so many categories of purchases: books, movies, consumer goods, food... especially when they set the prices for all of them. They already gently caress with pricing in deceptive ways. I don't want to give them more data fuel than I have to.

Yeah I've gone off Amazon too. I'd rather pay more and just buy things less often, and support local businesses when I can.

If you're serious about not being tracked you might consider running an adblocker and training it to block all of Amazon/Facebook/Google's tracking widgets. You can pick up affiliate cookies without realizing it - I think that's how SA-Mart's coupons subforum operates, for instance.

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 26, 2017

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

got any sevens posted:

I'd love if I could find jeans that are 28 or 29 long and 31/32 wide. They don't exist, afaik, i've checked every store at multiple malls over the last year.

I attempted to do this on Amazon (for women, right?) just now and it led down interesting paths of failure.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

(Bloodysabbath) is very upset

Oh neat, sexism is over AND all polyester magically turned into Egyptian cotton! Flattering women's-cut khakis overflow from the shelves! Pink-collar work evaporates as the glass ceiling shatters! Female truckers no longer get raped, and all construction workers everywhere just forgot how to pronounce "HEY SHAKE THAT rear end FOR ME, SLUT!"
Why the hell didn't you speak up sooner?

The person for whom this is standard posting style (and it is) likely doesn't have any sort of accurate baseline to measure what "very upset" looks like in a person with normal blood pressure.

(And, not upset at all, actually. Why would I be upset at the free entertainment provided by someone with a near 1:1 post count/meltdown ratio?)

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Yeah I've gone off Amazon too. I'd rather pay more and just buy things less often, and support local businesses when I can.

If you're serious about not being tracked you might consider running an adblocker and training it to block all of Amazon/Facebook/Google's tracking widgets. You can pick up affiliate cookies without realizing it - I think that's how SA-Mart's coupons subforum operates, for instance.

And only purchase with cash. If you ever use a credit card or write a check retailers will track you.

Don't sign up for any rewards programs or ever give your phone number.

Don't use in-store pick up.

Only use vendor coupons, many coupons are tracked to the individual. Mass market vendor coupons are not.

And don't return items, they'll use your Driver's License to attach the transaction to a customer.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

dont even fink about it posted:

I attempted to do this on Amazon (for women, right?) just now and it led down interesting paths of failure.

Amazon is hopeless for clothes - your best bet is to find some blogs/instagrams that specialize in the size range you're looking for and follow their recs.

Xae posted:

And only purchase with cash. If you ever use a credit card or write a check retailers will track you.

Only use vendor coupons, many coupons are tracked to the individual. Mass market vendor coupons are not.

And don't return items, they'll use your Driver's License to attach the transaction to a customer.

:rolleyes:

Is there anything goons won't get hysterically defensive about?

bloodysabbath posted:

The person for whom this is standard posting style (and it is) likely doesn't have any sort of accurate baseline to measure what "very upset" looks like in a person with normal blood pressure.

(And, not upset at all, actually. Why would I be upset at the free entertainment provided by someone with a near 1:1 post count/meltdown ratio?)

Lmao. You're one "I just think it's funny how..." from an eighth-grade breakup letter. Maybe you and xae should suck each other off and relax.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Xae posted:

I mean, uh, are you suggesting that companies don't collect data and use it to sell you poo poo?

Cos I'm pretty sure that happens.

If you go on your google account I think you can even see what person it thinks you are based on what it's picked up about you.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

I mean, uh, are you suggesting that companies don't collect data and use it to sell you poo poo?

Cos I'm pretty sure that happens.

If you go on your google account I think you can even see what person it thinks you are based on what it's picked up about you.

I'm saying that if you don't want to be tracked those are the steps you need to take.

Because I built systems that handled the match/merge of customers from those channels into the main CRM system.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

On the other hand some of those are easier to do that others? I don't think the complaint is that someone somewhere might be able to find out some sort of information about you, it's specifically that you don't particularly want to hand companies information to help them get money out of you, for no good reason.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

On the other hand some of those are easier to do that others? I don't think the complaint is that someone somewhere might be able to find out some sort of information about you, it's specifically that you don't particularly want to hand companies information to help them get money out of you, for no good reason.

All of that information is used to get money out of you.

And they'll purchase additional information from every vendor and exchange it with every partner they can to build better profiles.

Modern "Customer Relations Management" systems are specifically designed to be the central clearing house and make sure data from all sources is used to build the best profile so they can use the most effective methods of marketing based on how your customer profile is segmented.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes and once again, the point is, why help with that?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Xae posted:

I'm saying that if you don't want to be tracked those are the steps you need to take.

Because I built systems that handled the match/merge of customers from those channels into the main CRM system.

You're basically reacting to someone who said "I try to be extra careful about washing my hands during flu season" with "OH YEAH WELL YOU BETTER NOT GO OUTSIDE OR BREATHE AIR OR EAT FOOD IF YOU'RE SO AFRAID OF GERMS HUH."

It's unhelpful and it makes you seem bizarrely crazy-person defensive about consumer tracking.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

they're talking about just how pervasive and integrated these data gathering schemes are, and how data is sold to various corporations that integrate it with their internal profiles. it's insanely difficult to not be tracked and have your data collected by major tech cos in this day and age, even if you think you're blocking them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There is a difference between recognizing the hostile relationship between retailers and their customer base and that you can't really avoid it if you want to be able to do things like "buy food to eat" and saying "well I can't avoid participating in this so here come jam some USB cables into my eye sockets and suck my customer profile right out of my brain meats here's my credit card just order all the poo poo for me"

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Amazon is hopeless for clothes - your best bet is to find some blogs/instagrams that specialize in the size range you're looking for and follow their recs.

Lmao. You're one "I just think it's funny how..." from an eighth-grade breakup letter. Maybe you and xae should suck each other off and relax.

You are literally batfuck insane and unable to post twice in a row without insulting someone about something. As I said, it's entertaining in a way. You're like a forums Don Rickles with a massive personality disorder but none of the wit, and you have an awe inspiring level of life-shortening rage that is usually only seen in aging conservative talk show hosts. How do you keep your brain from hemorrhaging on a daily basis?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

FamDav posted:

they're talking about just how pervasive and integrated these data gathering schemes are, and how data is sold to various corporations that integrate it with their internal profiles. it's insanely difficult to not be tracked and have your data collected by major tech cos in this day and age, even if you think you're blocking them.

This.

It isn't crazy talk or paranoid, reading any emotion into it is wrong. I'm explaining how people can avoid being tracked by retailers. If you want to take those steps and not be tracked, go for it. If you don't care then continue to not care.

Because I'm an rear end in a top hat and I know how they work I usually sign up to be tracked because I can game the profiling to my advantage, or at least I think I can.

Also turn off your phone when you are in the store and you sure as hell shouldn't use the Wifi.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

FamDav posted:

Just see my post above yours, Inevitable Third Goon.

It would be more interesting to explore how and why retail is failing so hard at selling clothes, a thing everybody needs and most people enjoy. I think a big part of it is how divorced merchandise buying is from the local store level. It used to be you could go up to the store manager and go "hey could you stock more short-inseam jeans?" and they'd either offer to special order some for you or take note of how many requests they've gotten and start stocking them regularly. Stores, even chains, used to carry slightly different things depending on local demographics. Now it's all automated to a level where even regional managers don't have much sway, which is why my local Target is stocked to the rafters with winter coats despite this being Southern California.

Retailers (and chain restaurants) completely abdicated their half of the capitalism deal - instead of selling things people want they seem to go out of their way to sell what people don't want, and then just yell at us for not wanting it.

I don't care about you and I don't care that you're mad that women were talking about something you're not interested in. Keep getting mad at that, maybe the stress will shorten your life.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What is marketing if not attempting to sell people things they don't want or need?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

What is marketing if not attempting to sell people things they don't want or need?

In theory marketing is about finding demand. In practice it is about creating demand.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

OwlFancier posted:

That's the poison pill right there. The only constructive use of marketing is to let people know that something they do want or need is available, and where to find it. What we're seeing now is the tower of bullshit starting to collapse. You can only manufacture demand for so long, and it only works when people have money. Cratering wages while shifting the selection of available goods and services ever farther into the "nobody wants this" range was a disaster anyone could have seen coming, but the bullshit purveyors are acting like we betrayed them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I do wonder if it's a generational thing that I don't really pay any attention to advertising because as you say, I'm not looking for things to spend money on because I ain't got any.

About the only marketing that does anything for me is maybe the steam front page, and even then maybe one purchase every two months. Everything else I buy is stuff I know I need so I go looking for it and I usually already know where it is, and where I go to get it is limited by where I'm going anyway. I assume the intent is for advertising to have more effect on people than that.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

OwlFancier posted:

I do wonder if it's a generational thing that I don't really pay any attention to advertising because as you say, I'm not looking for things to spend money on because I ain't got any.

About the only marketing that does anything for me is maybe the steam front page, and even then maybe one purchase every two months. Everything else I buy is stuff I know I need so I go looking for it and I usually already know where it is. I assume the intent is for advertising to have more effect on people than that.

I really think it is, and I think that's a big part of why boomers get so mad at millennials/as-yet-un-named-post-millennials. Marketing has never worked on any generation in human history so well as it worked on boomers. The modern practice of it was developed for them. One thing that doesn't get talked about so much is how insanely much TV their generation grew up watching and still does. Even if you grew up in a household with a lax attitude towards TV watching, you had video games and the internet competing with TV for screen time, so in terms of pure volume you're just growing up consuming less advertising, even if you were doing other brain-rotting activities. And I'm sure you and I are pretty typical for our generation in that the minute an ad-free version of some media we consume becomes available, we switch over and never look back. I haven't heard a radio ad since Pandora was invented. The only time I see TV commercials is in waiting rooms.

Modern consumerism was built on the assumption that people would get advertising pumped into their brains 24/7, and while I'm certainly not living an ad-free life, I'm consuming WAY less than the system was designed for, and my ad intake is probably above-average for my cohort because I still read print magazines. I have no idea what marketing-driven industries are going to do to adjust, but they have to figure out something soon because the trend's only getting stronger. Thanks to Netflix and Youtube there are a lot of kids running around in kindergartens today who have never even seen a cereal commercial. Can you imagine saying that about any of the generations that came before?

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Marketing has never worked on any generation in human history so well as it worked on boomers.

I don't think it's any less effective now, so much as what's left of the marketers have given into panic and are just plastering whatever bullshit on anything they can find and couching it behind 'metrics' and 'analytics' to confuse the hell out of anyone who is buying the ad space from them.

Amazon is a great example of this; I go buy some socks, and I see *nothing* but ads for socks for the next week. That's great, but why are you trying to sell me something I've already bought?

Edit: or, more clearly, the only ads I see anymore are ads for either sites I've visited and not bought anything from, or Amazon telling me what great deals can be had on the thing I just bought from them.

cstine fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 27, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm guessing there's going to be more attempts to make internet advertising non subvertible. Otherwise yeah I can't see what they're going to do, the internet's basically replaced TV for everything I would use it for.

I feel like maybe social advertising, stuff like pinterest, where people basically advertise stuff to each other, is going to be an area of interest, I guess there's probably something similar going on with facebook information sharing. My other half was doing something related to that with her masters about how the travel industry has changed to tie into the proliferation of trip review websites which are apparently remarkably influential.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

cstine posted:

I don't think it's any less effective now, so much as what's left of the marketers have given into panic and are just plastering whatever bullshit on anything they can find and couching it behind 'metrics' and 'analytics' to confuse the hell out of anyone who is buying the ad space from them.

Amazon is a great example of this; I go buy some socks, and I see *nothing* but ads for socks for the next week. That's great, but why are you trying to sell me something I've already bought?

Edit: or, more clearly, the only ads I see anymore are ads for either sites I've visited and not bought anything from, or Amazon telling me what great deals can be had on the thing I just bought from them.

gently caress with the system.

Add things to your cart, leave them there for a while then remove them.

You'll probably get an ad with a small discount on the item.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

cstine posted:

Yeah, I never meant to imply that advertising doesn't work. Of course it does, it's just that it can only do so much. It can't wring a "yes" from a "hell no." It's especially funny when amazon decides you just started a new hobby collecting some big-ticket purchase people seldom repeat. Like theoretically you'll need new socks at some point, but I'm only going to buy so many air conditioners in my life.

OwlFancier posted:

I'm guessing there's going to be more attempts to make internet advertising non subvertible. Otherwise yeah I can't see what they're going to do, the internet's basically replaced TV for everything I would use it for.

I feel like maybe social advertising, stuff like pinterest, where people basically advertise stuff to each other, is going to be an area of interest, I guess there's probably something similar going on with facebook information sharing. My other half was doing something related to that with her masters about how the travel industry has changed to tie into the proliferation of trip review websites which are apparently remarkably influential.

Definitely - social media "influencers" are the big focus right now, but the range of products they can feasibly promote is pretty limited even if you ignore how many of their followers are fake. And it's that old refrain, but advertisers haven't adjusted to the fact that young people just plain buy less stuff. The days when a high schooler would work an afterschool job purely for fun money and blow it all at the mall are over.

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 27, 2017

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

The problem is that social peer-to-peer stuff, while more effective a form of advertising (see prior comment on how people pay lots of attention to hotel reviews), are also less controllable: It's alot harder to get people to share that form of advertising in a scaleable model which makes an advertising company money (and when you do, it appears artifical to consumers and loses most of that effectiveness) . The most effective form of advertising (Google Adwords) is also the simplest: Which of course kills the entire advertising "industry"

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

And it's that old refrain, but advertisers haven't adjusted to the fact that young people just plain buy less stuff.

And whilst this is anecdotal as all hell, my friends in general thrifty in a way that I know my grandparents (Depression era kids, since I'm old) would have approved of. Fix things that break, buy things second hand, and whatever you do never get in debt because the bank owns you then.

What I've noticed, though, is that we tend to have a hobby or two we're okay spending a lot of money on, but generally don't see the point in new cars, new clothes, new furniture, and anything that my boomer parents would endlessly brag about having to their friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Yeah, I never meant to imply that advertising doesn't work. Of course it does, it's just that it can only do so much. It can't wring a "yes" from a "hell no." It's especially funny when amazon decides you just started a new hobby collecting some big-ticket purchase people seldom repeat. Like theoretically you'll need new socks at some point, but I'm only going to buy so many air conditioners in my life.

I recently bought a couch online (after admiring and sleeping on the same model while visiting a friend), and have been getting ads for the exact same couch ever since. It's nice and all, but I'm not sure what I'd do with two of them. Ironically, I might actually click on an ad that had coordinating rugs or chairs or whatever, but nope, apparently what I need is a backup couch.