Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Crow Jane posted:

I recently bought a couch online (after admiring and sleeping on the same model while visiting a friend), and have been getting ads for the exact same couch ever since. It's nice and all, but I'm not sure what I'd do with two of them. Ironically, I might actually click on an ad that had coordinating rugs or chairs or whatever, but nope, apparently what I need is a backup couch.

Millennials are killing the disposable couch industry :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

cstine posted:

And whilst this is anecdotal as all hell, my friends in general thrifty in a way that I know my grandparents (Depression era kids, since I'm old) would have approved of. Fix things that break, buy things second hand, and whatever you do never get in debt because the bank owns you then.

What I've noticed, though, is that we tend to have a hobby or two we're okay spending a lot of money on, but generally don't see the point in new cars, new clothes, new furniture, and anything that my boomer parents would endlessly brag about having to their friends.

Millenials spend money on 'experiences'. Holidays, hobbies etc. Boomers spend money on 'status'.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

cstine posted:

And whilst this is anecdotal as all hell, my friends in general thrifty in a way that I know my grandparents (Depression era kids, since I'm old) would have approved of. Fix things that break, buy things second hand, and whatever you do never get in debt because the bank owns you then.

What I've noticed, though, is that we tend to have a hobby or two we're okay spending a lot of money on, but generally don't see the point in new cars, new clothes, new furniture, and anything that my boomer parents would endlessly brag about having to their friends.

I got on well with my granny as yeah, basically everything she drilled into me as a kid (aside from casual racism) is pretty applicable to my life today, cut costs where you can, don't waste, and never ever borrow if you can possibly avoid it. she would be about 75 now but grew up dirt poor in postwar britain so she still had stuff like rationing.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Aug 27, 2017

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I have thirty couches.

I bought a couch once and amazon just kept hassling me to buy another. So I did. that just made it worse of course.

There's no more room in my apartment and amazon keeps yelling at me about these great new and old couches they're selling please help.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Somewhere there is a startup lauding your couch buying habits as the coming of the couchlife revolution, all furniture will be replaced with couches.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

There's a name for this problem in recommendation matrices but it's slipping my mind.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Another couch just got delivered the door is blocked now and I can't get out!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I must destroy these couches before they destroy me.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

I have no bed and I must sleep.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

WrenP-Complete posted:

There's a name for this problem in recommendation matrices but it's slipping my mind.

Couch overdetermination?

Couch unity problem?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

He who buys couches must take care that he does not himself become a couch.

And if you gaze long into a couch, the couch gazes also into you.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Peak couch

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I've got a startup thats aiming to disrupt the couch delivering business.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

serious gaylord posted:

Millenials spend money on 'experiences'. Holidays, hobbies etc. Boomers spend money on 'status'.

Is there anything to actually back this up? I see it a lot but I'm not sure how true it is. Because I feel like I know a lot of my Millennial peers who are into having as nice a car or whatever as they can.

The other thing to consider is that with social media exposure, trendy "experiences" turn into status bragging in the same way. It's just easier and incrementally cheaper to Instagram your daily avocado toast than it is to buy a Beamer or whatever.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Crow Jane posted:

I recently bought a couch online (after admiring and sleeping on the same model while visiting a friend), and have been getting ads for the exact same couch ever since. It's nice and all, but I'm not sure what I'd do with two of them. Ironically, I might actually click on an ad that had coordinating rugs or chairs or whatever, but nope, apparently what I need is a backup couch.

That annoys me to no end. Or like a lot of times I'll go somewhere for work and then after I get home I'll get ads for the hotel I just loving stayed at.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

LogisticEarth posted:

Is there anything to actually back this up?
The rise of event music festivals?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
My couches burn, split upon an outdoor pyre. Amazon is silent. I go to enjoy a movie and then I realize

I have no couch to sit on.

I am free but at what cost.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Noooo, you were so close to cornering the couchsurfing market. :ohdear:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
The future's in stackable couches, if you ask me.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

paragon1 posted:

I have literally never worked a job that allowed a jeans and tshirt combo on anyone.

People working on a construction site, truckers, and restaurant wait staff where that's the uniform are about the only people I can think of that I've ever seen working a job wearing something like that.

I work for a F500 company and everyone wears a tshirt and jeans unless they are in clean room gear or are senior managers.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
On the flip side of a F500 company, I work at a supermarket and we wear jeans and t shirts

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Textile lab, generally non-managers wear what they want.

One of the technicians apparently had a rep for going commando under her labcoat.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
In my experience, even the millennials who fill their living spaces with overpriced useless garbage (like me) tend towards increasingly niche stuff, hobbies and collectibles. IE, nerds. Which it's hard to advertise for partly because no one wants to admit to catering to nerds and partly because they tend to be ever-increasingly specific and occasionally embarrassing.

They just don't want the same poo poo that boomers want. Probably because if they want it they can just buy it second hand from boomers or get it as hand-me-downs. (Except for affordable housing and jobs, of course)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I'd gladly give over my complete customer profile but so far no company has deigned to offer me just things I want and need, or would like.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Isn't that an episode of Dark Mirror?

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
steer your way past the ruins of the altar and the mall
steer your way through the fables of creation and the fall
steer your way past the palaces that rise above the rot
year by year, month by month, day by day, thought by thought

they whisper still, the ancient stones
the blunted mountains weep
as he died to make men holy
let us die to make things cheap
and say the mea culpa that you gradually forgot
year by year, month by month, day by day, thought by thought

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

fishmech posted:

I'd gladly give over my complete customer profile but so far no company has deigned to offer me just things I want and need, or would like.
:same:
now if they would recommend me a good cheese grater that doesn't suck rear end right after i get frustrated as hell with my garbage rusting janky block grater, that'd be real great since i keep forgetting to buy a new one and everytime i get pissed off i'm like why the gently caress did i not buy a good cheese grater yet. tia advertisers

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

serious gaylord posted:

I've got a startup thats aiming to disrupt the couch delivering business.

Uber, but for couches

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
buying couchs is the easy part

getting rid of them is hard

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

got any sevens posted:

Uber, but for couches

Couber.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Xaris posted:

:same:
now if they would recommend me a good cheese grater that doesn't suck rear end right after i get frustrated as hell with my garbage rusting janky block grater, that'd be real great since i keep forgetting to buy a new one and everytime i get pissed off i'm like why the gently caress did i not buy a good cheese grater yet. tia advertisers

Wait till lowtax sells your post history

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Internet advertising is so hated at least partly because in the old days (and it hasn't gotten much better) it was completely unfiltered and selling people poo poo they couldn't possibly want, when it wasn't flat out scams and malware.

And heaven help you if you're outside the US, then you'll see the same five ads from local ad buyers and international chains every time.

I think in general the issue with marketing nowadays is that they're desperately trying to sell poo poo No One Wants. Like nearly everything Microsoft has done in the last decade and a half.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I'm guessing there's going to be more attempts to make internet advertising non subvertible. Otherwise yeah I can't see what they're going to do, the internet's basically replaced TV for everything I would use it for.

I feel like maybe social advertising, stuff like pinterest, where people basically advertise stuff to each other, is going to be an area of interest, I guess there's probably something similar going on with facebook information sharing. My other half was doing something related to that with her masters about how the travel industry has changed to tie into the proliferation of trip review websites which are apparently remarkably influential.

Pinterest is officially on my poo poo list because you can't image search anything anymore without hitting their lovely rehosting of other sites' content.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

cstine posted:

:same: if it isn't something you critically need or are actually interested in (in which case why not blow $$$ on it to get one quality one that lasts a while and doesn't suck) there's no point spending money on new things all the time *marketers' heads explode*

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Aug 27, 2017

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I have a theory. Lets test it.

sbaldrick posted:

I work for a F500 company and everyone wears a tshirt and jeans unless they are in clean room gear or are senior managers.

West coast?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

OwlFancier posted:

I got on well with my granny as yeah, basically everything she drilled into me as a kid (aside from casual racism) is pretty applicable to my life today, cut costs where you can, don't waste, and never ever borrow if you can possibly avoid it. she would be about 75 now but grew up dirt poor in postwar britain so she still had stuff like rationing.
Yeah but one of the most important things for budgeting is paying attention to small but cumulative costs, especially recurring expenses, and I think people are getting worse about doing things like putting their stupidly overpriced phone plan on autopay and forgetting it exists, or indulging in stuff designed to make spending a dollar as easy as humanly possible.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

OneEightHundred posted:

Yeah but one of the most important things for budgeting is paying attention to small but cumulative costs, especially recurring expenses, and I think people are getting worse about doing things like putting their stupidly overpriced phone plan on autopay and forgetting it exists, or indulging in stuff designed to make spending a dollar as easy as humanly possible.

Eh? Who really has a stupidly overpriced phone plan anymore and isn't aware of what they're paying?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah to me that's a sign of having too much money if you don't notice that a chunk of it is missing every month.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Crow Jane posted:

Wayfair is so poo poo for this.

"You bought a table, eh? Clearly you must be the sort of person that buys two tables a month -- here's a bunch of different tables, as well as the table you just bought!!!! Have you considered buying more tables? Continue to buy tables until literally every part of your home is filled with tables and you have to walk on all your different tables! Then start stacking some tables!"

Go away, Wayfair. I'm not that into you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Yeah, I used to work on software marketers would use to create decision matrices about what ads to show to a user based on their browsing and purchase history.

The results are only as good as the person setting them up, which generally means "not very". What we're seeing right now in most cases is likely very poor algorithm based results.

My story: my wife and I bought a mirror less digital camera (Panasonic G85) and for months we were bombarded with ads for other digital cameras, which of course didn't work. If instead we had been bombarded with ads for lenses and accessories that fit our camera we might have made a purchase.