Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

some guy on the bus posted:

It looks like Final Fantasy 4 DS. The game that every time I recommend it to someone I have to go "Yeah, I know it looks hideous as gently caress but the rest is so good it's worth putting up with how ugly it is."

Most of FF4DS's ugliness comes from its abysmal texture resolution, which isn't the case here.

e: also the faces are made of polygons and not the aforementioned mishmash of giant pixels.

Dross fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Anybody else playing the Dissidia NT closed beta?

I'm pretty down on it after playing a couple hours. I know it's a beta but the lag and matchmaking are loving horrendously bad. The UI is disgusting. The 3v3 is chaotic as hell and despite a lot of Dissidia 012 experience it's really overwhelming.

Finally turned it off for now after my first-ever match with no lag was me getting triple-teamed by Cloud, Squall and Tidus while my teammates did nothing at all.

Add to this the fact that I just found out there's no single-player RPG-style mode to look forward to in the full release and my hype's kinda dead right now. Maybe it'll click with some more practice, I dunno.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f21eDKOZEo

Hey guys, I hope you didn't wish for there to be a clean, simple User Interface. God help you if so.

EDIT: It's not just you thor, I've put well over five hundred hours into both Dissidia and Duodecim myself and this game looks trash.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Wait there's no single player?

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
Experience with NT Beta:

- Brave Attack (X) and Jump (O) need to swap buttons, this poo poo is killing me and there's no custom controller options

- 3v3 feels very overwhelming, there's a bunch of poo poo happening all over the place all the time

- I've only had a few laggy matches but they were god awful and a ton of my inputs were ignored

- No friend/party matchmaking, but it's a beta so eh

- I've had to kill the game from dashboard a few times because it would poo poo itself while trying to find/connect to a match and stop responding to controller input (couldn't review/change loadout or return to main menu)

- as far as I can tell there's nothing in-game that tells you what any character's EX Skill does, so I guess you have to look it up online

- Terra's gimmick is that she has an auto-charge that powers up her next attack if you don't use any attack for 2~3 seconds, but it also needs to be charged in order to even use her Meteor HP Attack. If you try to use Meteor without charge, she gets sad and the timer resets :what:

I'm having a hard time with this game in actual matches, and it's hard to tell whether it's more that I'm bad at it (which I definitely am) or just not used to the playstyle yet. I feel like any kind of 1v1 would be helpful, whether in an unranked match or just beating up a training dummy, but I guess people playing the arcade version had to learn 3v3 from the get-go so console has to follow suit. I'll give it some more time for sure, but the previous Dissidias definitely felt more intuitive and easier to wrap my head around. I hope the full release at the very least will allow for custom controller layouts and camera controls.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Norns posted:

Wait there's no single player?

There is, but it's not the expansive single-player RPG/board-game stuff of the previous ones. They've been vague and said something like the story 'progresses through the battles' or something, which some people think is code for basically an SF/MK-style arcade mode with some story beats between fights.

Vanrushal posted:

Experience with NT Beta:

- Brave Attack (X) and Jump (O) need to swap buttons, this poo poo is killing me and there's no custom controller options

- 3v3 feels very overwhelming, there's a bunch of poo poo happening all over the place all the time

- I've only had a few laggy matches but they were god awful and a ton of my inputs were ignored

- No friend/party matchmaking, but it's a beta so eh

- I've had to kill the game from dashboard a few times because it would poo poo itself while trying to find/connect to a match and stop responding to controller input (couldn't review/change loadout or return to main menu)

- as far as I can tell there's nothing in-game that tells you what any character's EX Skill does, so I guess you have to look it up online

- Terra's gimmick is that she has an auto-charge that powers up her next attack if you don't use any attack for 2~3 seconds, but it also needs to be charged in order to even use her Meteor HP Attack. If you try to use Meteor without charge, she gets sad and the timer resets :what:

I'm having a hard time with this game in actual matches, and it's hard to tell whether it's more that I'm bad at it (which I definitely am) or just not used to the playstyle yet. I feel like any kind of 1v1 would be helpful, whether in an unranked match or just beating up a training dummy, but I guess people playing the arcade version had to learn 3v3 from the get-go so console has to follow suit. I'll give it some more time for sure, but the previous Dissidias definitely felt more intuitive and easier to wrap my head around. I hope the full release at the very least will allow for custom controller layouts and camera controls.

Yeah the game is confusing as gently caress. I think they'll have trouble building a community if there's no 1v1 option at all, it's really hard to get a grip on things when you're just chucked into this 3v3 chaos right off the bat.

There's a movelist here btw: http://weblet.square-enix.com/dissidiaffnt-moves/

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

thorsilver posted:

There is, but it's not the expansive single-player RPG/board-game stuff of the previous ones. They've been vague and said something like the story 'progresses through the battles' or something, which some people think is code for basically an SF/MK-style arcade mode with some story beats between fights.

Yeah the game is confusing as gently caress. I think they'll have trouble building a community if there's no 1v1 option at all, it's really hard to get a grip on things when you're just chucked into this 3v3 chaos right off the bat.

There's a movelist here btw: http://weblet.square-enix.com/dissidiaffnt-moves/

I think the recent gundam vs games have a small but decent competitive scene and that's 2v2. Idk anything about competitive dissidia though

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
NT is way more fun than 012 was. Shantotto's voice actress loving nails it, too.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I also really enjoyed the ps2 remake of Romancing Saga

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

NT is weirding me out, coming from EXVS. I keep trying to zunda and rainbow out of habit, even though it's way more melee focused.

Also, I can't use my stick because it forces chat to dpad. :negative:

Other than that, it's a lot of fun, but I do hope the final version has a control config.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I'm not in the beta sadly, but I saw a character list and where the gently caress are all the villains

the emperor in a team match would loving demolish faces given he's all about traps

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

The characters feel real simple compared to the PSP Dissidias but maybe the full release will have more move customization options that will make things more interesting. Terra is really cool, though.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

The characters feel real simple compared to the PSP Dissidias but maybe the full release will have more move customization options that will make things more interesting. Terra is really cool, though.

From what I understand of the arcade game, there will be some kind of progression system that unlocks more HP attacks, but I don't know if they're tied to specific skills like in the Beta or if you get to make your own loadouts. I'm pretty sure that Brave Attacks are set in stone for everyone though, I don't think we'll be getting any extras to swap in/out.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Final Fantasy XV question who is this guy in the mech that shows up at the end of Chapter 2? I take it he didn't escape the mech before it exploded and is now dead.

Also is there any reason to not be driving around in Regalia Type-D and doing sick jumps all the time?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Final Fantasy XV question who is this guy in the mech that shows up at the end of Chapter 2? I take it he didn't escape the mech before it exploded and is now dead.

Also is there any reason to not be driving around in Regalia Type-D and doing sick jumps all the time?

he will briefly show up later in a different mech and be similarly uninteresting!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

tithin posted:

I'm not in the beta sadly, but I saw a character list and where the gently caress are all the villains

the emperor in a team match would loving demolish faces given he's all about traps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUiV_xa00J8

A bunch of villains are in the game, just not the beta. Same with Ramza, Ace and Noct.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
Basically, everyone that was added after the initial release is not in the beta. Ramza, Ace, Garland, Emperor, Kain, Exdeath, Kefka, Sephiroth, Kuja and Jecht.

Character roster to date: http://www.jp.square-enix.com/DFF/character/

Edit: Please tell me this is getting localized. Square wouldn't bother with a Steam version if it wasn't, right? Right?

Edit: I'm slow, also, yes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9LXRCiKh78

Varance fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Aug 27, 2017

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Varance posted:

Edit: Please tell me this is getting localized. Square wouldn't bother with a Steam version if it wasn't, right? Right?

They put out a trailer and press release in English and you can pre-order it on the english PSN, so it's pretty likely, I'd say.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
That character roster has Bartz's name as Butz, the true and canon romanization.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

FFT is retarded.
I can not beat dorter slums and its the fourth battle in the game. The enemies completely steamroll me in the two first turns. I suspect its meant to be an even fight since agrath and delita are with you, but they just gently caress off into the corner and contribute nothing. I've bought equipment and leveled my dudes. I have a white mage, black mage and archer with me, besides making ramza and delita a knight and agrath another archer. What am i missing?
Also the touch controlls are terrible, every action takes 19 touches and the camera is a nightmare.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Attitude Indicator posted:

FFT is retarded.
I can not beat dorter slums and its the fourth battle in the game. The enemies completely steamroll me in the two first turns. I suspect its meant to be an even fight since agrath and delita are with you, but they just gently caress off into the corner and contribute nothing. I've bought equipment and leveled my dudes. I have a white mage, black mage and archer with me, besides making ramza and delita a knight and agrath another archer. What am i missing?
Also the touch controlls are terrible, every action takes 19 touches and the camera is a nightmare.

Try changing your white mage into a chemist, item usage is instant and more reliable than white magic

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Andrast posted:

Try changing your white mage into a chemist, item usage is instant and more reliable than white magic

I'll give it a go next time, but my WM already has access to items.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'll give it a go next time, but my WM already has access to items.

Chemists have a built-in passive skill that makes your items ranged

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FFT is retarded.

There are ways to get around this as mentioned but understand that fights only get progressively more bullshit from here so if youre feeling frustrated now hooooooboy

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Barudak posted:

There are ways to get around this as mentioned but understand that fights only get progressively more bullshit from here so if youre feeling frustrated now hooooooboy

Not really. Dorter is a pretty hard mission when you are starting out since you haven't learned the systems properly yet and have so few options.

There are a few dick moves later in the game but Dorter is definitely a difficulty spike.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Actually the Dorter battle is a pretty big early hump as far as Tactics goes and if you can get past it you can coast for a while. Don't be afraid to grind a little, but make sure it's just a little as random encounters scale up with you (while story battles do not).

Also make sure you're saving in multiple slots.

EDIT: Dangit

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FFT is retarded.

Dorter is one of the three hardest battles in the entire game. It's a massive early difficulty spike. Nothing afterwards is going to give you nearly as much trouble until like halfway through the next chapter, if I'm remembering when that fight is correctly.

Seconding others' advice: use items with a Chemist so they can throw. Send someone up to go kill the Archer at the top of the building you start next to. If I remember correctly, taking out that Archer quickly is a big help in making the rest of the fight go smoothly.

This won't be the last time you think FFT is bullshit, but this is definitely one of the hardest fights in the game, and it's early enough that you don't have a ton of ways to just power through it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

fft was hard...?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

That fight where I had to walk back and forth and yell was kind of annoying back in the day

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

fft was hard...?

Dorter is a fairly difficult fight if you haven't played SRPGS/tactics games before

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

fft was hard...?

Nah, there are just like three difficulty spike fights, and if you've played before and know they're coming you can blast through them pretty well. The others I'm thinking of are the Execution Site and the infamous Wiegraf duel.

I think Dorter is really tough, at least the first time you play through, because it's the first time you have to deal with a bunch of really threatening enemies with terrain advantages over you. And the fights after aren't nearly as challenging.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

the duel was hilarious when i played fft back in high school because i always had a black chocobo on my team

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
FFXV's post release life has been sort of absurd. I was already critical of paying to get the game completed after the fact, but in practice as well it seems to be a lot of fairly small content updates and a lot of just...weird poo poo. Like, an Assassin's Creed event? What?

Trying to give an RPG a post-game life like an MMO might do is a novel concept, but I don't think it is feasible from a company standpoint and I'm not really sure if all these additions to FFXV are really making it a better game or are a good investment of time and resources. It sort of leaves me baffled as to what they think to do with this.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Probably a boardroom of Square execs looking at each other and asking "well we spent a million bazillion dollars making this game, what are the cheapest things we can do that will allow the highest ROI?"

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Giving a gsme a long post release life is an extremely common thing nowadays so I'm not sure why people are confused that Square Enix is doing it too.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

The GIG posted:

Giving a gsme a long post release life is an extremely common thing nowadays so I'm not sure why people are confused that Square Enix is doing it too.

Well you see after a game has been in development for 10 years...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FF has teamed up with AC before for the record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyXkwySVGwE

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

8-Bit Scholar posted:

FFXV's post release life has been sort of absurd. I was already critical of paying to get the game completed after the fact, but in practice as well it seems to be a lot of fairly small content updates and a lot of just...weird poo poo. Like, an Assassin's Creed event? What?

Trying to give an RPG a post-game life like an MMO might do is a novel concept, but I don't think it is feasible from a company standpoint and I'm not really sure if all these additions to FFXV are really making it a better game or are a good investment of time and resources. It sort of leaves me baffled as to what they think to do with this.

they released a terrible unfinished game and are desperately trying to dig their way out

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Harrow posted:

Seconding others' advice: use items with a Chemist so they can throw. Send someone up to go kill the Archer at the top of the building you start next to. If I remember correctly, taking out that Archer quickly is a big help in making the rest of the fight go smoothly.

You remember wrong. The Archer is the least threatening dude, since he doesn't even have a bow lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

the duel was hilarious when i played fft back in high school because i always had a black chocobo on my team

he's talking about the riovanes castle duel where you are strictly 1v1 against wiegraf no items fox only final destination. you're thinking of the one where you're isolated from your team against GAF GAFGARION but technically you can still jump, fly, or teleport your friends in to help even if you don't open the gate

though the wiegraf duel isn't so bad as long as you have auto-potion and a bunch of x-potions.