Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

marriage equality rally today in melb. rough estimate of 15k people turned out

my feet hurt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
I feel bad for bailing the rally, looks great.

I made phone calls with the Greens on Wednesday though, that was fun.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

If the WA public take to Shorten's solution to the GST issue, the federal Libs are well and truly hosed

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

IMO that was deffo one of Shorten's better appearances. Energetic, lots of great sound bites and he made sure to hammer every single Liberal gently caress-up. Now if he just did that 24x7 it would be great.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Mad Katter posted:

I feel bad for bailing the rally, looks great.

I made phone calls with the Greens on Wednesday though, that was fun.

If that was in Melbourne we probably met on Wednesday and didn't know it.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Aug 26, 2017

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I tried to find you after but my feet were killing me!

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Synthbuttrange posted:

my feet hurt

This is amazing

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I will 100% be at the Brisbane rally also

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012
I couldn't make the rally due to work, but I ponied up and joined the Greens instead.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/aug/26/captain-cook-statue-and-two-others-in-sydneys-hyde-park-attacked-by-vandals
The Australian prime minister, Malcolm Turnbull, has likened the vandalism of statues of Captain Cook and Lachlan Macquarie to Stalinist purges

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

open24hours posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/aug/26/captain-cook-statue-and-two-others-in-sydneys-hyde-park-attacked-by-vandals
The Australian prime minister, Malcolm Turnbull, has likened the vandalism of statues of Captain Cook and Lachlan Macquarie to Stalinist purges

You'd think they'd be defending Stalin considering his statues were purged.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Communists as bugbears must have really polled well with the focus groups 'cause the LNP are hitting that as hard as they can.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

Starshark posted:

Communists as bugbears must have really polled well with the focus groups 'cause the LNP are hitting that as hard as they can.

I think it shows they are so bereft of ideas they are left only with the classics. Shows their always excellent timing to run this line with low wage growth, rising energy and housing bills while trying to push corporate tax cuts.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Mr Potatohead finding all new lows to sink to.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/investigations/federal-government-to-launch-crackdown-on-asylum-seekers-20170826-gy4vnh.html

He is cutting off income support and booting people out onto the street, making them fend for themselves, after explicitly denying them the right to work.

gently caress this country.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
that's disgusting

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

NPR Journalizard posted:

http://www.smh.com.au/national/investigations/federal-government-to-launch-crackdown-on-asylum-seekers-20170826-gy4vnh.html

He is cutting off income support and booting people out onto the street, making them fend for themselves, after explicitly denying them the right to work.

We're Baby USA now. Or USA's retarded little brother. It's going to get a lot worse.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Starshark posted:

This is good. The more they hammer it, the closer communism gets to a mainstream ideology.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Synthbuttrange posted:

my feet hurt

I belive you are mistaken- that's the queue for the Mind Games 40th Anniversary sale. There were queue's inside the store to go up and down the stairs.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

NPR Journalizard posted:

Was going to post this. Between Dutton and Trump today has been utterly vile.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Lot of whistles being blown.

Good.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

NPR Journalizard posted:

Communism and bashing refugees. There's probably going to be a big announcement regarding national security or maybe a raising of the threat level soon I reckon for the LNP talking point trifecta.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Shows how out of touch they are. I'm not sure the demographic they're terrified of even knows why they should be afraid of communism or was even alive during the red scare days.

May as well issue warnings about the saxons or vikings to an internet cafe full of confused starcraft players.

But I'm sure the crusty oldies and their internal True Believers will eat it up.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

gay picnic defence posted:

Communism and bashing refugees. There's probably going to be a big announcement regarding national security or maybe a raising of the threat level soon I reckon for the LNP talking point trifecta.

is there an election soon

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

bandaid.friend posted:

You know if this keeps up long enough I wonder if they'll try to suspend the next one due to "security concerns" or something. Not like the rule of law means anything to them.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

bandaid.friend posted:

The next one is a by-election for New England

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

bandaid.friend posted:

He is racking up polling losses

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Cleretic posted:

If that was in Melbourne we probably met on Wednesday and didn't know it.

I'd PM you if you had it enabled, but I have a feeling I know who you are. I'm pretty sure we've attended a greens associated board game event a while ago.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

DancingShade posted:

May as well issue warnings about the saxons or vikings to an internet cafe full of confused starcraft players.

This mirrors the disastrous course the US Republicans are taking wrt demographics. That they think 'communists' is a sure-fire winning label is playing to an audience which is dying off.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
They really should just say feminists. That'd get the shithead youth vote as well as the older anti-communist vote.

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination
If you'd have told me in 2010 that I'd see actual Literal Nazi's on streets and the paper tiger of "Communists!" being wielded by the ruling party to scare voters back in line, I'd have thought you were mad. Sadly here we are and at least here and now that ruling party needs to scare people back to it's side because it's not sure if it's okay to let LGBT(I forget the full acronym sorry) people marry.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

They really should just say feminists. That'd get the shithead youth vote as well as the older anti-communist vote.

But lose them even more of the women's vote. And before you say it, despite their prevalence in the media, based on my own experiences I do not believe that more than 5-10% of women are taken in by Devine/Albrechtsen's waffle. Especially not women who are not already rusted on.

Openly slagging feminism would do less damage than it should, but likely enough to finish off the libs, given their thin AF margined in all but the most affluent seats.

So yeah chances are Tony will push for it

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If the Mad Monk can stay sober long enough to push anything that isn't a shopping trolley filled with grog that is.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

bandaid.friend posted:

Probably.

That, or a leadership spill

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

gay picnic defence posted:

Probably.

That, or a leadership spill

Spilling their drinks perhaps. Pretty clear how the Mad Monk broke that fancy table at taxpayer expense a year or so ago when Turnbull took charge.

Well took charge on paper anyway.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm reminded of when the Liberals tried to make a big deal out of Kevin Rudd visiting a strip club in New York and it probably helped him in the process; Australians can identify with irresponsible drunkenness and debauchery. If a politician spent his time time naked in an inner tube in a lake they'd probably win handily.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Just imagine if an aboriginal politition missed a vote because he was too drunk.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Aug 27, 2017

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Inescapable Duck posted:

I'm reminded of when the Liberals tried to make a big deal out of Kevin Rudd visiting a strip club in New York and it probably helped him in the process; Australians can identify with irresponsible drunkenness and debauchery. If a politician spent his time time naked in an inner tube in a lake they'd probably win handily.

Unless that politician was female, in which case they would be labelled a whore and the nation would be up in arms about loose women in parliament.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Just imagine an aboriginal politition

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

NPR Journalizard posted:

Unless that politician was female, in which case they would be labelled a whore and the nation would be up in arms about loose women in parliament.

Well obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/Eddie_Obeid/status/901345594924335104

• Locked thread