Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Lmao Himawari >>> Neji.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Himawari had better end up being like the 10th hokage.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Naruto's best friends are Shikamaru, Choji, Rock Lee, Kiba, Sai and Shino because like good friends they got him shitfaced before he lost his true freedom, and got him home to safety.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

On the note of Gai and Lee it's entirely possible that Lee is an Orochimaru experiment, given he was pretty heavily into the weird cloning bullshit even then.

On a lighter note I agree with everything said about adult Naruto, and Boruto in general being pretty good. Although the absurd power levels are never going to not be silly and bad to me.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

The absurd power levels are fine in Boruto for now because they only show up when the adults have to get involved, which so far has been rarely. Of course that will change somewhere down the line when Boruto presumably has to save the village or something and his dad can't do it.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

JahRoo posted:

The absurd power levels are fine in Boruto for now because they only show up when the adults have to get involved, which so far has been rarely. Of course that will change somewhere down the line when Boruto presumably has to save the village or something and his dad can't do it.

Minor movie spoilers: Boruto does eventually take down a big threat, but it's more a matter of being in the right place at the right time than actually becoming super-strong. Sort of like Gohan "defeating" Vegeta in the Saiyan Saga. Come to think of it, the writers may actually have been inspired by Gohan vs. Vegeta. I guess that makes Sasuke Piccolo and Kaguya Raditz...

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
no, because piccolo is a good dad.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

seiferguy posted:

Naruto's best friends are Shikamaru, Choji, Rock Lee, Kiba, Sai and Shino because like good friends they got him shitfaced before he lost his true freedom, and got him home to safety.

It's this tbh. Sasuke is only Naruto's "best friend" in the most technical sense. They never hang out, and they've never hung out since before Sasuke left the village. Literally the only thing their relationship has going for it is that they're the only ones that are as strong as each other.
Naruto's crush on Sasuke would've made a lot more sense if it was actually a romantic crush, but as it is I dunno what he sees in the guy.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Eeeh, I think that's underplaying it. They were on a team together. They worked together, they trained together, they saved each other's lives more than a couple of times and before everything in Sasuke's life went to poo poo with Itachi showing up they were actually pretty good friends underneath the bitching and snarking. Team 7 was the closest thing Naruto ever had to a family so its not at all weird that he's insanely attached to and protective of all of them.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
It's downplayed in general, but a lot of people in Naruto's generation are broken people in some way or another. It kind of comes with the ground of being raised as child soldiers.

I think it's interesting that Boruto's generation is the first you could consider psychologically healthy as a rule, even if Sasuke and Sakura did their best to buck that trend with Sarada. It's a huge progression from the time of the Third, and especially the time of the First. The various life goals of the numerous Hokage may have been hilariously basic (hey, let's live in a town! let's have an organized mission structure! let's try to have standardized education! etc), and a lot of them weren't very well thought out, but at the end of the day they've really helped make each generation safer than the last.

Too bad Boruto is gonna gently caress all that up by having random villains from nowhere destroy everything.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Aug 26, 2017

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

Eeeh, I think that's underplaying it. They were on a team together. They worked together, they trained together, they saved each other's lives more than a couple of times and before everything in Sasuke's life went to poo poo with Itachi showing up they were actually pretty good friends underneath the bitching and snarking. Team 7 was the closest thing Naruto ever had to a family so its not at all weird that he's insanely attached to and protective of all of them.

they only spent time together up until the forest part of the chuunin exam, most of which one or both of them spent unconscious. afterward, kakashi immediately whisked sasuke away, and they met what, 2, 3 times between then and when sasuke betrayed the village? i wouldn't really call a handful of situations where the two of them had to cooperate or die the basis of a friendship. their 'friendship' is mostly based on naruto's fascination with the only other orphan he knew growing up.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

A reminder that in the world of Naruto, unending unhealthy relationships are the truest sign of love and should be rewarded.

See: Hinata and Naruto, Hashirama and Madara, Obito and Rin, Sasuke and anyone, etc.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

they only spent time together up until the forest part of the chuunin exam, most of which one or both of them spent unconscious. afterward, kakashi immediately whisked sasuke away, and they met what, 2, 3 times between then and when sasuke betrayed the village? i wouldn't really call a handful of situations where the two of them had to cooperate or die the basis of a friendship. their 'friendship' is mostly based on naruto's fascination with the only other orphan he knew growing up.

You're forgetting there's a lot of offscreen time before the chunin exams (though I grant you some of that could have been shown)

BlitzBlast posted:

A reminder that in the world of Naruto, unending unhealthy relationships are the truest sign of love and should be rewarded.

See: Hinata and Naruto, Hashirama and Madara, Obito and Rin, Sasuke and anyone, etc.

how is naruto and hinata in any way an unhealthy relationship??

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

You're forgetting there's a lot of offscreen time before the chunin exams (though I grant you some of that could have been shown)

It's not, really, but a lot of people like to call Hinata a "stalker."

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
girl likes an idiot, eventually manages to get through to said idiot, they get married and live happily.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

girl likes an idiot, eventually manages to get through to said idiot, they get married and live happily.

Yeah, if anything that's one of the healthiest relationships we've seen in this series.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

does anybody else here try to struggle thru the boruto manga, lol its so ugly

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Calibanibal posted:

does anybody else here try to struggle thru the boruto manga, lol its so ugly

ha, no.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Larryb posted:

Yeah, if anything that's one of the healthiest relationships we've seen in this series.

Ino/Sai, and Temari/Shikamaru imo.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ino randomly hooked up with a brainwashed double child soldier (double because they are all already child soldiers) with stunted emotions, social skills and sense of self. this was a serious step up from her schoolgirl crush on the local bad boy, and she seems to have lived a very happy life.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

naruto has a good ramen wife

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

It somehow turned into one (that's what I meant by rewarded), but before that Hinata was straight up willing to kill herself for the sake of someone she barely talked to.

The only reason it wasn't creepy is because Sakura was such a terrible character that Hinata looked way better.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ino randomly hooked up with a brainwashed double child soldier (double because they are all already child soldiers) with stunted emotions, social skills and sense of self. this was a serious step up from her schoolgirl crush on the local bad boy, and she seems to have lived a very happy life.

That's a good point actually, Sai's a little lacking in social skills thanks to his upbringing but he's a good dad and is actually there for her and their son. Sakura, meanwhile, married her childhood crush who proceeded to return to his self-imposed exile after their daughter was born leaving Sakura behind to raise her alone (and keep in mind that Sarada only just met her father in the most recent episode who barely recognized her at first).

Yeah, I'd say Ino actually ended up coming out on top overall.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Aug 27, 2017

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It would be very, very difficult to not come out on top if you're setting the bar at Sakura.

You'd have to barely exist like Tenten to do worse.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
also sai taking ino's last name is super cute

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Dexo posted:

Ino/Sai, and Temari/Shikamaru imo.

Because we have literally seen nothing of their relationships.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Because we have literally seen nothing of their relationships.

you can infer a lot about their home lives from how their kids behave. well, except lee's. i have no fuckin' clue what his marriage is like, if it even exists.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Blockhouse posted:

also sai taking ino's last name is super cute

:kimchi:

Apparently Chocho's super popular. Which is true and good, because she's by far the best kid.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

Wasn't Sai just a fake name and he didn't have a last name before? Makes sense to just take Inos then.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

UnderFreddy posted:

Wasn't Sai just a fake name and he didn't have a last name before? Makes sense to just take Inos then.

Yeah, unless it was revealed in some kind of supplementary material I don't think Sai ever had a real name. His first name was borrowed from Danzo so it would make sense that he'd borrow a last name from Ino.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
since they have clans presumably they adopt spouses into them. granted, we never actually saw more than a single family for most of these supposed clans, but w/e. they weren't terribly important.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

BlitzBlast posted:

It somehow turned into one (that's what I meant by rewarded), but before that Hinata was straight up willing to kill herself for the sake of someone she barely talked to.

The only reason it wasn't creepy is because Sakura was such a terrible character that Hinata looked way better.

If you're talking about the time Hinata threw herself at Pain to save Naruto, it sort of makes sense. Naruto was out there literally sacrificing himself against a threat against Konoha, and Hinata is probably going to die if Naruto fails anyways. And sure, they barely talked, and it was always a childhood crush that she had on him, which gives some sort of motivation for it. It was more motivation than almost everyone else had there.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

since they have clans presumably they adopt spouses into them. granted, we never actually saw more than a single family for most of these supposed clans, but w/e. they weren't terribly important.

I think the Uchiha and Inuzuka have been shown to be multiple families, but I don't think we've seen any of the others as multiple families besides the Hyuuga who have their own thing going on.

The Uchiha had an entire district/neighborhood though, so they have to have been a fairly sizable number of families living in one spot.

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012
https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/896491299372621824

Naruto is dead. Long live Bort's dad!

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

my favorite parts of boruto are when kurama talks

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'd like to see a scene where naruto introduces kurama to his kids

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

i'd like to see a scene where naruto introduces kurama to his kids

Himawari is going to terrify and torment poor Kurama.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Dexo posted:

Himawari is going to terrify and torment poor Kurama.

She already has though, from that scene when she activated the Byakugan and chakra-gut punched Naruto, and it showed Kurama wincing at the same time.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

right in the eight trigrams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

they should just write boruto off the show, send him to clown college or something. make sarada the star of the show.