Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
What are the major differences between Onward and Pavlov? I keep getting them mixed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Pavlov is either CoD or Counterstrike depending on who you ask, Onward is ARMA.

Pavlov gives you a considerable amount of survivability, relatively small and constrained maps, and most of your combat happens short to medium range. You can take a fair number of shots before you go down.

Onward is a lot more punishing about its ttk, maps are much more open, teamwork is very important and there are now tactical manuvers like lying down to go prone.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Pavlov is literally Counter-Strike in VR. Onward is a standing in a tent simulator.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Also Pavlov is way faster and is much more likely to make you puke than Onward

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Pavlov has an incremental teleport locomotion option ("out of body" or OOB), so it's actually much friendlier if you don't have your VR legs yet. It's documented right on the Steam page.

Pavlov is also less than half the price, and fully supports custom maps, so you're not stuck waiting for official patches to get new content.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've been playing Pavlov and didn't get VR sickness at all. Am I beyond experiencing this phenomenon now?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

PerrineClostermann posted:

I've been playing Pavlov and didn't get VR sickness at all. Am I beyond experiencing this phenomenon now?

No.

There's something out there that'll throw your tummy around. It exists.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Try something with controller-based smooth turning. Or worse, camera movement that has nothing to do with your intentions or head movements at all.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Ultrawings destroys me sometimes. Not all the time though. If I'm intentionally flying like an rear end in a top hat it's the worst.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

bobfather posted:

Ultrawings destroys me sometimes. Not all the time though. If I'm intentionally flying like an rear end in a top hat it's the worst.

That skycar thing someone recommended totally ruins me. I mean, I fly like an rear end in a top hat but still. Totally wrecks me for Vr for a few hours for sure.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

BMan posted:

Pavlov is literally Counter-Strike in VR. Onward is a standing in a tent simulator.

Onward is amazing and having played a shitload of it I would say that Onward is basically CounterStrike VR. Similar team sizes and map sizes. Similar weapons, grenades and game modes. Similar communication and coordination. Similar pacing. If you die then you go to the tent yes but it was exactly the same for CS.

They have recently updated the Tanker map which was a little lackluster before but is now really great. Shotguns have also been revamped and improved. There's also the new Operations mode which pits the human players against 4-16 bots, which I've found to be great target practice since the bots aren't as accurate as real players.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Just got my rift. I don't know if the other games are going to be any good but the tutorial with the robot was mind blowing.

I recently got an Oculus too, and I've been inviting friends to experience VR, so Dream Deck and the tutorial are my go to demos. I'll text them the next day, "You're still thinking about Oculus, aren't you?", they all say yes.

Also, Robo Recall, holy poo poo. Made me feel unnerved as hell during the intro though.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Remote User posted:

Also, Robo Recall, holy poo poo. Made me feel unnerved as hell during the intro though.

The Batman VR Intro did this to me (which is very much the point, I suppose.)

Those two experiences told me that I will never, ever be able to play a horror game.

To continue Onward v. Pavlov chat, is one better if I don't have room scale? I only have room for maybe a step in every direction. They both say standing is fine but you never know.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

PerrineClostermann posted:

This is how it happened with me. I felt dizzy playing free movement stuff, then I didn't. So far now everything I've tried (specifically VR stuff, not VR-added-on stuff for normal games) I've been 100% fine with. I wish I could point to a time or event or something but one day I tried it and didn't feel sick anymore. :shrug:

EDIT
I just bought the Deluxe Audio Strap from Newegg and those motherfuckers auto-added a ~protection plan~ on it for $11.99 when you add it to your cart. You can remove it easily enough but that's hosed up. I get Amazon has destroyed their whole deal but that isn't the way to higher profits you scrubs.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Aug 27, 2017

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Boxman posted:

To continue Onward v. Pavlov chat, is one better if I don't have room scale? I only have room for maybe a step in every direction. They both say standing is fine but you never know.
Those games both have stick movement primarily, room scale mostly comes into play when you want to do fine movements in a small area, like close quarters stuff or dodging or leaning around corners. You should be good

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

When you are talking about vr sickness, are you meaning a more intense version of roller coaster stomach (for lack of a better description) or a different type of illness? I got a little clenched up when I flew like a jackass in ultrawings but that's the worst I've been through so far. I haven't tried smooth turning yet though.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Parallelwoody posted:

When you are talking about vr sickness, are you meaning a more intense version of roller coaster stomach (for lack of a better description) or a different type of illness? I got a little clenched up when I flew like a jackass in ultrawings but that's the worst I've been through so far. I haven't tried smooth turning yet though.

With normal motion sickness your ears tell your brain you are moving and your eyes disagree, you get sick. With VR sickness it's inverted, your eyes are saying you are moving but your ears are saying you aren't. I don't typical motion sickness but VR sickness feels like how people describe normal motion sickness. Usually the biggest part that makes people uneasy is acceleration but for me the height changes were the worst, going up stairs, dropping down a level below, that stuff. You'll know immediately if you have issues.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The big difference for me between simsickness and other kinds of motion sickness, is that I notice I'm feeling it way earlier. Like by the time I notice I'm "a little carsick", which I'm not super prone to but it happens, there's a very real possibility I'm gonna puke if I don't do something about it. The first signs of simsickness for me though is just like a tightness in my stomach, and if I fight through it I just get kinda generally uncomfortable and hot. I've never been close to throwing up from being in VR but some games if I play them for too long I just have to take the thing off and sit around feeling uneasy for a bit.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Boxman posted:

The Batman VR Intro did this to me (which is very much the point, I suppose.)

Those two experiences told me that I will never, ever be able to play a horror game.

I promise, Stuff like arizona sunshine is loving TONS of fun, even if you dont think you have the nerve. Its so good, cuz its like being there. You end up panic empting clips into poo poo. Oh man. I can't count the number of times in games where I've had a OH poo poo! *BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK* moments that end in hysterical laughter.

Dont fret, Horror games will be fine! Get baked, Shoot some freds in the dark.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Aug 27, 2017

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Man, Office HQ (a well-made clone of the CS classic) in Pavlov is so goddamn fun with a good team and credible opponents. There's nothing like watching the last survivor on your team clutch the round against fully-geared enemies with a series of double-barreled shotgun ambushes :allears:

Boxman posted:

You may be at a slight disadvantage in Onward if you can't go prone, but that's minor; you'll get by in any touchpad-locomotion FPS. Be careful throwing grenades.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.
I just played the first 30, or so, minutes of Lone Echo... This is my life now.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Finally made a VTOL VR video. Still having issues with recording things- Shadowplay has a tendency to not record sound, and I'm still figuring out using OBS. Also using the Vive microphone with a jury-rigged pop filter that's still pretty poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYqK-IfYbX8

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Paingod556 posted:

Finally made a VTOL VR video. Still having issues with recording things- Shadowplay has a tendency to not record sound, and I'm still figuring out using OBS. Also using the Vive microphone with a jury-rigged pop filter that's still pretty poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYqK-IfYbX8

For your Shadowplay sound issue, try opening up your playback devices by right-clicking on the volume icon on your taskbar, click properties of your sound output device; go over to the advanced tab and uncheck "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device." You might need to reboot for it to take effect.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Aug 27, 2017

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

It might be that Shadowplay is trying to capture the desktop audio when it's only playing in the Vive. With OBS you should be able to set up the Vive's audio output as a capture target, or mirror the game audio to the desktop in SteamVR.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Unless you messed with your SteamVR settings, it should be setting the Vive to the default audio device.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Cojawfee posted:

Unless you messed with your SteamVR settings, it should be setting the Vive to the default audio device.

I did, since I used to set it to speakers for when my mates were playing it. It's set back to using the Vive for audio after I got the DAS (which is must have and should really come standard with new Vives)

Thanks for the tips, I've messed with a few things and I think I've got sound recording properly. Looks like it was the 'exclusive control' bullshit.

Also had a proper round of Pavlov tonight and yes, the last updates have made it so much better.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Am I the only one who finds the stock Vive headstrap perfectly comfortable for extended use? It was tricky to get adjusted right, but it's fine now.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

goon faces have different shapes :thunk:

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

kloa posted:

goon faces have different shapes :thunk:

mine doesnt

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
yeah mine either

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Ralith posted:

Am I the only one who finds the stock Vive headstrap perfectly comfortable for extended use? It was tricky to get adjusted right, but it's fine now.

I've never felt any comfort issues, only SWEAT

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

EbolaIvory posted:

That skycar thing someone recommended totally ruins me. I mean, I fly like an rear end in a top hat but still. Totally wrecks me for Vr for a few hours for sure.

Same here... I just tried Aircar for the first time. It's like flying around in Bladerunner, super cool. I was just slowing cruising around and first and felt mostly okay, then I tried doing some barrel rolls and a few other acrobatic maneuvers. After a couple minutes of that I had to take the headset off.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

For those with a Vive who were waiting, MotherVR the Alien Isolation mod just got vive support in the latest version. Seems like theres a few bugs, but otherwise works. I'm still holding off because crazily, the developer seems optimistic that he can get touch support, roomscale, and onward style movement working, which is nuts and worth waiting to see.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Ralith posted:

I was fine with it, aside from it coming loose when looking directly down and the hassles of adjusting it for my mates- real fun trying to make it fit a tiny head right after a boofhead.

Its more the fact that, after using the deluxe strap, the original can safely be hosed off. No contest between them

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
^ same.

I was fine with it myself, but readjusting it for friends and family to try was awful. And even though I thought it was ok before, the DAS is still twice as comfy and way quicker to put on/take off. It should really be the standard pack in from now on.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How long until we have a VR headset with a piped-in air cooling system?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
Sound boxing is still amazing. Just a tip for anyone who forgot they bought it.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Tom Guycot posted:

For those with a Vive who were waiting, MotherVR the Alien Isolation mod just got vive support in the latest version. Seems like theres a few bugs, but otherwise works. I'm still holding off because crazily, the developer seems optimistic that he can get touch support, roomscale, and onward style movement working, which is nuts and worth waiting to see.

Whoooooooooooooo hot drat.

Thats pretty ambitious, but I aint waiting

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Just got my rift. I don't know if the other games are going to be any good but the tutorial with the robot was mind blowing.

I've just got back from trying out the Rift at a VR arcade. I used to think Vive was the champ here, but the Rift with the Touch controllers is just as good. I actually prefer the Touch controllers because the Vive wands seem a bit to cumbersome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Oh thank god: Microsoft's line of headsets will support SteamVR after all.

Edit: Also, Dell are releasing a headset with inside-out tracking, inside-out tracked controllers and a welding helmet strap with flip-up display. For $359 $459 in October. If the build and lens quality is somehow good this might be the first headset that you could reasonably call gen 1.5?

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Aug 28, 2017