Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Some Numbers posted:

Hard, certainly, but not impossible. There are some very good multicolor and hybrid commons that you should definitely run.

May I present, The Golden Monkey Cube :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

I've only read the UW section and I vomited a bit in my mouth.

A Vastly Superior Multicolor Cube

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Some Numbers posted:

I've only read the UW section and I vomited a bit in my mouth.

A Vastly Superior Multicolor Cube

Why do only Boros and Izzet get signets? Also, having Power Play in the cube without other Conspiracies to balance it out is a diiiiiiick move.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

Why do only Boros and Izzet get signets? Also, having Power Play in the cube without other Conspiracies to balance it out is a diiiiiiick move.

Because the Boros and Izzet Keyrune are very bad.

I can agree that Power Play and Unexpected Potential should probably come out.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

Some Numbers posted:

I have PP in my cube, but errata'd to just game 1. It's still really powerful, pick 1/2 kind of card, IMO.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Some Numbers posted:

I don't know. Boros' double striker works pretty well with all the pumps you have in the cube. Izzet, i agree with, though. Having two pairs get added 2 mana ramp seems kind of a big power gap, though.

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth
Dunno about these cubes specifically but Unexpected Potential is one of my favorite cube cards. Only problem is that it's almost universally first pickable, and I don't like cards like that in cube...

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
I only run lore seeker and cogwork librarian anymore for my conspiracy cards that mess with the draft or the game. I used to have a lot more but found it wasn't worth the extra logistics and confusion for newer drafters. Dack and daretti and recruiter of the guard etc are of course fair game.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I keep the conspiracies separate and only play with them occasionally.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Ok, weird.
It seems like you can't search for Conspiracies by card type on Gatherer. They're all on there, but searching by type = conspiracy doesn't work.
And if you search on magiccards.info you only get cards from the first Conspiracy set. None of the Take the Crown conspiracies seem to be on there. What give?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Has anyone in here run Conspiracies in powered cubes? I have avoided it since the power level seems too high when combined with some other things. Just curious if anyone else has tried it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Double Stroke with Time Walk sounds like a recipe for disaster.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I include Lore Seeker, Cogwork Librarian, and Agent of Acquisitions in by default since they just do stuff to the draft. The conspiracies are separate and only get included on occasion.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I have Unexpected Potential in my Peasant Cube in a mana-fixing slot.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

Some Numbers posted:

Double Stroke with Time Walk sounds like a recipe for disaster.

I had Double Stroke in because I got a foil one. First draft with it:
"Dude, you need to cut this. Double Stroke + Blightning in both games is not fun"
So I put in the Power-9 sideboard (its a Legacy cube, with the broken cards like Power 9, Conspiracies, etc kept standalone in a sideboard)

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Conspiracies were either overpowered/broke a bit too many fundamental of rules (in a powered list)/too much bookkeeping/too confusing/too unpowered.

That said I still run lore keeper and cogwork librarian and probably will forever.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Agent of Acquisitions is too good to not run, because who hasn't had that time when they wanted to take an entire pack?

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
So here's kind of a basic question I haven't seen a direct answer to in the resources I've been looking at. How many basic lands should I have on-hand for a 360 cube?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
25-30 of each should be enough, depending on how many dual cycles you're running

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
/\ /\ /\ Whattup whydirt! Long time man.

Flip Yr Wig posted:

So here's kind of a basic question I haven't seen a direct answer to in the resources I've been looking at. How many basic lands should I have on-hand for a 360 cube?

30 of each should be more than enough (if there's an appropriate number of fixing and/or utility lands in the cube list). If your particular list caters to several mono-colored strategies, you can expand it to 40 to be safe.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
I ran worldknit briefly and it was a logistics nightmare when someone drafted it and shackles/rofellos.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

Pontius Pilate posted:

I ran worldknit briefly and it was a logistics nightmare when someone drafted it and shackles/rofellos.

We always just had someone grab other basics and say "All my basics are islands/forests".

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Foolishly let someone shuffle and now I have a bent legends sylvan library :sigh:

Pontius Pilate fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 23, 2017

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

What's the alternative? When people draft your cube you just go around shuffling all their decks?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Ha yeah should've clarified. The initial shuffle when the piles are usually larger than 40 cards.

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth

Pontius Pilate posted:

Foolishly let someone shuffle and now I have a bent legends sylvan library :sigh:

The tension between collecting cards for use in cube and actually PLAYING with those collected cards is real... I would love to own power, for example, but would I actually let people put it in their decks??? Much better off paying $10 for proxies... no risk.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I'd take some bent cards to actually get people to play with my friggin' cube.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Hadn't picked up a foil abrade or earthshaker whatever (probably won't last, but abrade definitely will) and now the stupid pro tour made them expensive

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
I've started running a cube with the full complement of signets and a few other mana artifacts. Should I be counting them among my spells or my lands when building my manabase?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Half a land.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Ya, for (approximately) every 2 mana rocks or 3 mana dorks, you can shave a land.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
I didn't even think about druids and such. Danke.

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene
What draft methods do you guys use for drafting 4 or 6 of an 8 person cube?

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

muon posted:

What draft methods do you guys use for drafting 4 or 6 of an 8 person cube?

6 people: either normal (3 packs of 14/15) or mix it up a bit with 4 packs of 11/12 (more first picks, less stuff wheels)

4 people: can also do more packs of smaller size (like 4 packs of 12), but it's not great.
can also do stuff like 'take two cards. keep one, remove the other from the draft'.
Or, flip a pack of 6, everyone takes a card (order changes each time so it's fair), then no one gets the remaining cards.
I have tried other schemes, but really nothing is that great at 4 players. But it's Cube, so about any format is going to be fun.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Burn drafting is plenty of fun for 4 players.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
The cube I ripped off some other dude and have been playing a lot for a couple weeks now. I'm starting to develop thoughts on how to make it my own. The first thing I'm feeling is that it's lacking in the black removal department. White has some removal and red's got a fair amount of burn, but I think some of the black library manipulation could be swapped for removal. Any thoughts?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Flip Yr Wig posted:

The cube I ripped off some other dude and have been playing a lot for a couple weeks now. I'm starting to develop thoughts on how to make it my own. The first thing I'm feeling is that it's lacking in the black removal department. White has some removal and red's got a fair amount of burn, but I think some of the black library manipulation could be swapped for removal. Any thoughts?

Besides nostalgia, why would Dark Ritual be in there?

So I finally got all but 5 of the tri-color cards in the cube, leaving 1 of the shards card because the mana was better for them. Enough to make a person splash for that one thing. Added 1 more rare for each color.

http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/13649

I'm also on my way to get all signets in foil, because everyone loves signets.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
I only see one Plainswalker, Kiora. That seems horridly unbalanced.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

GoutPatrol posted:

Besides nostalgia, why would Dark Ritual be in there?

The rest of the cube list looks kinda shaky, but there's nothing wrong with supporting black aggro/tempo shells with Dark Ritual. It doesn't need a dedicated Storm archetype to be playable in cube. Dark Ritual ---> Hypnotic Specter has worked since 1993. :-)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

GoutPatrol posted:

I'm also on my way to get all signets in foil, because everyone loves signets.

I just finished my 10 as well. Those fuckers are surprisingly pricey for what they are. I think Azorius signet was the worst somewhere in the mid teens, but outside of commander, do they even see constructed play?