Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

There’s literally no reason to get hyped over leaked episodes if they don’t actually, you know, leak. I wanna see how this poo poo plays out, not read about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

:agreed:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it's in like less than 15 hours

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Who would have thought the British could be just as bad at piracy as the Germans?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
From what I understand, Now TV has DRM up the wazoo.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Would OBS not work? Like if you set it to capture the whole monitor.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Too late crying over spilled milk. All we can do now is

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

And More posted:

Too late crying over spilled milk. All we can do now is

I have a coffee mug in that same shade of green as Dougie's jacket and now I think of him every time I drink from it.

It gives me peace in these troubled times.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

eSporks posted:

I wasn't sure about the theory before, but now I am convinced. She is 100% a snake person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGjJFRPtdDI

They even filmed her hatching!

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

chrysta bell was always cool

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

http://watch.nowtv.com/watch-entertainment/twin-peaks-return/cbcbfeb688f52510VgnVCM1000000b43150a____/seasons/1/episodes/16

Wait is it up here and I should just sign up for a free trial? I'm willing to go through the trouble.

To me this implies it's only going to be available in 2 days.

gently caress gently caress gently caress. i was at work goddamnit. i could have watched it.

i just switched my ps3 on, what i watch Now.tv with and it had part 16 for like half a second on the "new episode" list before it switched to 15. so close.

guess i'll have to wait till tomorrow like normal. :|

edit: 2 days left is how long you've got left to view it. its an error since all the season will be up until october, probably says 2 days because it's crapping out on itself going up early.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Aug 27, 2017

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I'm not trying to be a fuddy-duddy, but even that thumbnail (however obvious it may be) is pretty spoilerish. Can we not do that here?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That thumbnail is the same one they've been using all season. It's from the first two eps.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Cromulent posted:

I'm not trying to be a fuddy-duddy, but even that thumbnail (however obvious it may be) is pretty spoilerish. Can we not do that here?

I'm pretty sure that thumbnail is from ep 1 or 2

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think we're like 99% certain what's happening next episode anyway

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

multijoe posted:

If this were any other show, I'd agree. There's still a part of me that just can't see it happening.

And I didn't realize they always used the same thumbnail.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

multijoe posted:

Dougie's funeral?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
they use that thumbnail as a placeholder all the time then change it to a shot from the actual episode a few days later. its usually that one, the laura palmer intro or the albert and cole standing up/looking down one.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

I wish these streaming sites would either leak it in immediately-available great quality, or get their poo poo together and stop posting it early.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
haha yeah Showtime and Sky have hosed this up tremendously

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

not just them, there's an australian streaming service that started posting extremely spoilery promo photos on their twitter, and not just out of context shots of characters either, one of them straight up confirms/denies a character theory.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Vikar Jerome posted:

not just them, there's an australian streaming service that started posting extremely spoilery promo photos on their twitter, and not just out of context shots of characters either, one of them straight up confirms/denies a character theory.

They finally confirmed that Wally Brando is Booper's son?!

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

CJacobs posted:

They finally confirmed that Wally Brando is Booper's son?!

:aaa:

I'd really love one more Wally scene this season. Just him out riding would be fine. They should have treated his character like they are for Jerry Horne this season.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

multijoe posted:

someone had the idea we might not see any coop at all next episode and open the 2 hour finale with the scenes from the beginning of the season. I can see that.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
http://i.imgur.com/NSslaBF.gifv

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Dana Ashbrook showed up as the only living human in a world of androids in the Outer Limits episode I watched last night. Maybe Bobby Briggs was always cool??

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

The Walrus posted:

someone had the idea we might not see any coop at all next episode and open the 2 hour finale with the scenes from the beginning of the season. I can see that.

i was starting to think the last two episodes are "what real coop" got up during the whole season and we see him like, behind bushes and poo poo sneaking around giving context everything and him being there all along. nothing to suggest that tho.

i don't think he's ever coming back now, doogie is probably dead and thats that and we've just got evil cooper doing his poo poo. its all on deputy special agent andy brennan and bobby briggs now.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Maybe now that Dougie/Coop is dead he'll return to the waiting room and be able to switch places with Booper like he was supposed to.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I dunno about you guys but I have a pretty easy time avoiding spoilers, I don't even know what's going to happen in the Game of Thrones finale and I'm pretty sure that's been spoiled for like months or something. I just paid no attention to any of it and was somewhat surprised by it, but watch GOT after Twin Peaks, especially this season... It's just such a massively huge disappointment and seems so telegraphed and absurd, watching it is like making a checklist of expected tropes and it always talks down to the lowest common denominator like it treats the viewer like a 15-year-old sucking down two giant cans of Monster over the course of the episode, it's pretty inane. But still kinda fun.

Anyway, I also have TRULY no clue what will happen. I'm not even convinced exactly which Cooper is which anymore, frankly. And I fuckin' HATE the name 'Booper' it makes him sound like some cutesy cartoon character who likes to boop people on the nose. I mean what the gently caress, might as well call him 'Pooper' it actually sounds about the same out-loud.

But uh, anyway as for the episode, I have fairly high expectations. Mostly, I think it's because the show has basically been on a huge roll for 3 straight episodes now, the last two especially. It's like Lynch was done letting the characters and plot slowly unfold, and this sense of things slowing down starts right after episode 8, really. Frankly, not a whole heck of a lot happens in episodes 9, 10, 11, and 12. Seriously. If you look back, it's basically a whole lot of meandering about and talking about impending events or past events, and really it sort of CULMINATES in episode 11 and 12 where we get the most incredibly slow scenes we've had in the show: the Roadhouse sweeping scene set to "Green Onion", Cole with the French Lady, Audrey and Charlie's first scene and the withholding of the phone call (which honestly seems more intriguing now than it did before).

Not to mention even the 'action' scenes in those episodes are rather drawn out, long, and hosed up. The two that stick out most is Richard attacking his grandmother in episode 10, and then the scene with Bobby, Shelly, and Becky at the diner and the kid firing the gun and the woman beeping and screaming with a passenger who also had weird crap dripping from her mouth; like the drunk and the fellow Above the Convenience Store/at the Dutchmans who flips the switch. Two very weird long scenes with repeating sounds.

Weird long scenes with repeated sounds. I guess that sorta falls into the "Drink full, and descend" category. Like the Sarah Palmer scene with the Boxing Loop. All the truly weird Sarah Palmer scene were in this span of episodes, barring the one where she takes her face off which feels like it set off a new set of Sarah Palmer scenes.

And then right after all these slow episodes, the narrative start to picks right up in Episode 13, starting with Evil Coop going to the farm and the hilarious "Arm Wresting Match", plus assorted other fun things that happened in that episode, such as Ed's introduction or the aformentioned Sarah Palmer scene with the Boxing Loop. And then Lynch kicks the pacing into overdrive in episode 14 and episode 15, and it really doesn't look like it's gonna stop.

But you know. Repeated sounds loops. That's what The Fireman was asking Cooper to listen to at the very very very beginning of the series. He was playing that record, but all we could hear was the sound of it skipping. The Woodsman who looked like Lincoln kept repeating the same thing, first "Gotta light?" and then the whole "drink full and descend" bit. What's 'Dougie Cooper' constantly do? Echo back the last thing someone just sound, almost like it was a record skipping.

Not sure what all this means but I'm pretty sure there's something important there? About records skipping? Is this all one big record scratch somehow and the nuke is the point that it keeps going back to or... something? I really don't know but the whole theme of skipping/repeating is just really standing out to me all of a sudden in bright colors.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 27, 2017

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

kaworu posted:

I dunno about you guys but I have a pretty easy time avoiding spoilers, I don't even know what's going to happen in the Game of Thrones finale and I'm pretty sure that's been spoiled for like months nor something. I just paid no attention to any of it and was somewhat surprised by it, but watch GOT after Twin Peaks, especially this season... It's just such a massively huge disappointment and seems so telegraphed and absurd, watching it is like making a checklist of expected tropes and it always talks down to the lowest common denominator like it treats the viewer like a 15-year-old sucking down two giant cans of Monster over the course of the episode, it's pretty inane. But still kinda fun.

yeah this is why i watch GOT first before twin peaks, less disappointment and i spend the rest of the day riding that twin peaks high.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 27, 2017

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
I like spoilers. I still enjoy watching.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I don't even know why someone would bother with Twin Peaks spoilers. I find it hard to believe that a description of some of these scenes would even come close to what they're really like.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I usually don't mind spoilers, but with Twin Peaks I avoid like the plague.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/24/arts/television/twin-peaks-game-of-thrones-hbo-showtime.html

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

i was starting to think the last two episodes are "what real coop" got up during the whole season and we see him like, behind bushes and poo poo sneaking around giving context everything and him being there all along. nothing to suggest that tho.

i don't think he's ever coming back now, doogie is probably dead and thats that and we've just got evil cooper doing his poo poo. its all on deputy special agent andy brennan and bobby briggs now.

I'm extremely dubious Coop is dead, electrical outlets have been heavily linked with the passage of spirits since FWWM. My money is on Coop returning to the Red Room, having that Episode 1 conversation with The Giant The Fireman and returning with his faculties restored.

Lynch may like left-field turns but just killing Coop off my means of accidental suicide would be absurd, I just cannot see that happening.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My prediction is that Coop's head will have be been exploded and then Evil Coop kills everyone the end

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
My prediction yet remains the same. Cooper gotta go back to get his shoes.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

It's a fun comparison, really, but GOT is also just objectively worse than it used to be. They should have spent like 4 seasons on the events of Books 2 and 3 and then 2 season (instead of 4) on what essentially were the events of books 4, 5, and apparently most of 6 as far as the show is concerned. Like, they sped up when they should have slowed down, and after speeding through the good material they kinda, well, dragged out the bad. I kinda feel like it was somewhere in the middle of season 4 when it went off the rails - so much easier to locate that moment in retrospect.

To get back on topic there was a really great interview with David Lynch (this is the first interview I've read with him since the series started) from about 10 days ago regarding the Sound Design work he did on Twin Peaks:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/17/arts/television/david-lynch-twin-peaks-interview.html

David Lynch posted:

And then there’s dialogue, and then behind that dialogue there’s sometimes background sounds. Then there are the sounds that are in between music and effects. Mood things. You can have three or four or five or a hundred things running together. Sometimes hundreds of tracks are going into the mix, and for the mix you try to get everything balanced out. Stuff coming in the right way, and going at the right volume. Going up and down in volume. It’s a tricky, tricky business, to get it to feel correct all the way through.

I love reading David Lynch interviews because I read all his answers in Gordon Cole's voice. Which is just pretty much just how Lynch talks except amplified.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Speaking of background sounds, a few episodes ago I watched on Showtime's live stream and noticed they do some kind of audio normalization; in quiet moments the background sounds got much louder, then someone spoke and they shot down again. It was super distracting, anyone else notice it?

I rewatched that episode on demand and it wasn't present there, nor when I checked it on Amazon. I hope they aren't doing that on the cable feed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Escobarbarian posted:

All of it is actually a part of the series, tied in with all the time fuckery. Some places see the episodes out of order.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Dana Ashbrook showed up as the only living human in a world of androids in the Outer Limits episode I watched last night. Maybe Bobby Briggs was always cool??

Yesterday I learned that he was also the kid on the boat in the Jaws-parody scene from "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes".