Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!

Soviet Commubot posted:

The torsoes and tabards are from Spellcrow

I'm starting to think I need to check third parties more often.

SRM posted:

These dudes are dope as hell, that paintscheme rules. You gonna do transfers/iconography on them?

I've never settled on a design for it, unfortunately. I've toyed with the idea of using a fleur de lis since the design evolved from some old Third Street Saints marines I painted a long time ago, but the name (Blood Dragons) would be better suited to something Salamander-like. A hydra, perhaps :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Zaphod42 posted:

This is my favorite Tyranids paintjob ever

https://armiesonparade.com/2017/08/18/get-inspired-for-armies-on-parade-eddies-tyranids/

I posted about it when I saw it in White Dwarf last year, but now there's better pictures

Tbh I really dislike this. Obviously there's tons of technical skill involved but it's so bright and busy that I think it makes everything indistinct.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I did Hivefleet Cockroach years ago but traded them off. I'm severely tempted to do it again instead of that Chris Foss army.

I would do them with more spots and a lighter brown base coat for more value.

What I wouldn't do is magnetize that carnifex. It didn't turn out that great

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

It took me this long to realize the guy painted them up based on the scheme native to mantis shrimps, truly the alpha predators of the meme crustacean world.

I'm definitely using mantis shrimps as the inspiration for my current paintjob, but I'm not quite so good :cheeky:

DiHK posted:

I did Hivefleet Cockroach years ago but traded them off. I'm severely tempted to do it again instead of that Chris Foss army.

I would do them with more spots and a lighter brown base coat for more value.

What I wouldn't do is magnetize that carnifex. It didn't turn out that great

Brown and Purple is the modern Zerg color scheme and what I almost went with before I decided to do crazy vibrant mantis shrimp / tree frogs

Its a good look

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

raverrn posted:

The Rapid Fire Hellblaster gun is far and away the best one, don't worry.

You mean the assault one...

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Uroboros posted:

You mean the assault one...

S7/S8 is a sweet spot for toughness values. Plus the RF range is pretty long.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

S7/S8 is a sweet spot for toughness values. Plus the RF range is pretty long.

Yup having to overcharge to get to S7 just doesn't cut it, and the rapid fire versions will be firing twice in most midfield ranges anyways.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Yup having to overcharge to get to S7 just doesn't cut it, and the rapid fire versions will be firing twice in most midfield ranges anyways.

Not to mention being able to overcharge to S8 is pretty huge. Being able to wound MEQ on 2s and most heavy armor on 4s is a big deal. The assault guns will work in certain situations (I hear people talking about using them with White Scars tactics) but the rapid fire version is significantly more flexible. I find that there's much less a choice here than between the guns on an Intercessor squad.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Pendent posted:

Not to mention being able to overcharge to S8 is pretty huge. Being able to wound MEQ on 2s and most heavy armor on 4s is a big deal. The assault guns will work in certain situations (I hear people talking about using them with White Scars tactics) but the rapid fire version is significantly more flexible. I find that there's much less a choice here than between the guns on an Intercessor squad.

Yep. The S7/S8 gap might be the biggest power jump in the game. S3->S4 is really important too, but for the higher powered weapons, S5/6/7 often function the same way, but S8 can be really important in a lot of situations.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
I'm a newb at magnetizing, what's the best size for magnetizing Helbrute weapon options?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
S8/S9 is also a huge jump, but I would rather have two shots than one.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

S8/S9 is also a huge jump, but I would rather have two shots than one.

Yeah, the heavy plasma ones seem silly unless you want an all big army. Lascannons/missile launchers can potentially put out more damage with much less risk. Plus you probably want these guys tooling around with a Captain for rerolls of 1s.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Send some to me. I only have three left.

If you seriously need some hit me up. I've got tons and it's an excuse to actually meet up for a game sometime.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

PierreTheMime posted:

I'm a newb at magnetizing, what's the best size for magnetizing Helbrute weapon options?

The current plastic helbrute kit? 1/16" thick and somewhere between 1/8 and 1/4" diameter. Assuming that you're going to be just putting a magnet in the middle of the stump that goes on the current model, that is.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Does anyone ever use the Imperial Bastion/Chaos Bastion? It looks overpriced but T10 W20 is appealing.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

TheChirurgeon posted:

The current plastic helbrute kit? 1/16" thick and somewhere between 1/8 and 1/4" diameter. Assuming that you're going to be just putting a magnet in the middle of the stump that goes on the current model, that is.

Yep. Exactly. I'll pick some up and give it a try. Thanks!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Felime posted:

If you seriously need some hit me up. I've got tons and it's an excuse to actually meet up for a game sometime.

Just picked up 8 off of eBay for like $5. That said I enjoy games and playing people.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Gilgameshback posted:

Does anyone ever use the Imperial Bastion/Chaos Bastion? It looks overpriced but T10 W20 is appealing.

I would rather convert it into that Vortex Missile Muder House.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gilgameshback posted:

As long as you put it somewhere good during deployment and stick some firepower in there it can be alright. Really it's ~200 points to protect and give better line of site to a unit of heavy weapons. Probably not worth it, but can be fun to play with.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
:orks101: 8th edition has me jazzed about my Orks again, and looking to start some new armies. drat YOU GW JUST WHEN I THOUGHT I WAS OUT... :orks:

What are people using to store their models these days? I got stuff in shoeboxes and poo poo and need to upgrade.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Bucnasti posted:

:orks101: 8th edition has me jazzed about my Orks again, and looking to start some new armies. drat YOU GW JUST WHEN I THOUGHT I WAS OUT... :orks:

What are people using to store their models these days? I got stuff in shoeboxes and poo poo and need to upgrade.

KR cases are generally seen as the best deal these days.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Could anyone who's put together the Primaris Ancient from DI how tricky it'd be to snip off and replace the shoulder pads? I wanna add one to my DW since they're the only Ancient we have access to.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

SteelMentor posted:

Could anyone who's put together the Primaris Ancient from DI how tricky it'd be to snip off and replace the shoulder pads? I wanna add one to my DW since they're the only Ancient we have access to.

I did for mine and all my other DI guys, it's not too bad, just got to keep whittling away at it with clippers and a knife until the new pad fits right, and be careful not to remove too much material. It's definitely doable though.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

SteelMentor posted:

I literally did this for both of the shoulderpads, its easy enough with clippers and a knife.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Cheers for the responses, was worried there'd be parts of the trim connected to the main body like on some of the monopose Marines and these new anxiety meds make my hands too shaky to be doing anything too tricky with a knife.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

SteelMentor posted:

Cheers for the responses, was worried there'd be parts of the trim connected to the main body like on some of the monopose Marines and these new anxiety meds make my hands too shaky to be doing anything too tricky with a knife.

The left shoulder is, and thinking on it that might be a bit of a harder fit with the added trim of a deathwatch pad. I only got away with it since the new ultramarines pad covered the damage to the back anyway.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Bucnasti posted:

GW's newest cases kick rear end and are extremely flexible in how they fit different minis.

Proletariat Beowulf fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 27, 2017

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Fought a footslogging black templar army for week 5 konor, I was attacking. He had emperor's champ, primaris lt, gravis captain, 2 intercessor squads, crusaders, hellblasters, 10 caraphractii combat squadded, 2 melta dreads, 2 kheres contemptors.

It was pretty rough for him. The scenario gave him a chance, it meant my 3 predators had to try and make it up the table. My tanks and 3 of his dreads went at it, he won that engagement but it 2 dreads, and after my contemptor soloed one of the combat squads he finished those dreads off and in turn got killed by EC.

I managed to get my vanguard, apothecary, captain, terminators, and a tac squad off the table to win on turn 6.

We played again with the sides switched, with him having to advance into my guns it went badly for him pretty fast though.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Gilgameshback posted:

My friend uses it for his guard army. Generally he puts heavy weapon las teams, master of fleet, and/or a vindicare assassin up top. He puts a guard squad inside to run the guns and has valet parking for his artillery lambos behind it. From there he has huge LOS blocking terrain and murderous shooting for anything that tries to reach out to his murdertanks.

Depending on the mission and careful placement of objectives, he will either score on 2-3 objectives every round by default, or wind up with a brutal long range threat bubble while he runs his squads all over hells half acre trying to score VPs.

The only actual threat to his bastion backcourt came from Green tide orks just obliterating everything they got into close combat with. It cost the ork player 60+ boyz to get up the board, but once he did, the game was over in a turn and a half of close combat.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

koreban posted:

The only actual threat to his bastion backcourt came from Green tide orks just obliterating everything they got into close combat with. It cost the ork player 60+ boyz to get up the board, but once he did, the game was over in a turn and a half of close combat.

That sounds extremely fluffy.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Going back to the intercessor chat upthread, I'm having some good experiences with the aux grenade launcher.

being able to get an extra d6 shots downrange is a nice bonus, especially when you're dealing with a bunch of T5 units you're going to be wounding on a 5 anyway.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Do all Primaris squads with gun variants need to take the same variant for each member?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

goose willis posted:

Do all Primaris squads with gun variants need to take the same variant for each member?

Yes

Anyway I still think I would like to have a 5 man squad with stalkers as objective holders, but seeing that the auto rifle is better at 16-24 inches is interesting.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The number of shots is really important. Double the number of S4 shots overcomes a lot of armor. Against a 2+ save, or against T5-7 where you're going to have sharply reduced wounds in the first place and each AP is going to be multiplicative for your chances they might be better.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Has anyone done any mathhammer on frag grenade, krak grenade, and 2 bolter shots on various targets?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Vs. T3 and Armor 4+

Frag Grenade: 3.5 shots (on average) means 2.33 hits, wounding on 4s means 1.17 wounds on average, no AP means 0.58 failed saves.
Krak Grenade: 0.66 hits (on average), wounding on 2s means 0.55 wounds, AP-1 means 0.37 failed saves.
1 Stalker Shot: 0.66 hits (on average), wounding on 3s means 0.44 wounds, AP-2 means 0.37 failed saves.
2 Bolt Rifle shots: 1.33 hits, wounding on 3s means 0.88 wounds, AP-1 means 0.59 failed saves.
2 Auto Bolt Rifle shots: 1.33 hits, wounding on 3s means 0.88 wounds, AP0 means 0.44 failed saves.

Vs. T3 and Armor 5+

Frag Grenade: 0.78 failed saves
Krak Grenade: 0.46 failed saves
Stalker: 0.44 failed saves
Bolt Rifle: 0.73 failed saves
Auto Bolt Rifle: 0.59 failed saves

Vs. T4 and Armor 3+

Frag Grenade: 3.5 shots is 2.33 hits, wounding on 5s means 0.78 wounds on average, 0.26 failed saves.
Krak Grenade: 0.66 hits, wounding on 3s means means 0.44 wounds, 0.22 failed saves (0.44 damage against multiwound models).
See previous posts for rifle performance

Vs. T7 and Armor 3+

Frag Grenade: 2.33 hits, wounding on 6s means 0.39 wounds, 0.13 failed saves.
Krak Grenade: 0.66 hits, wounding on 5s means 0.22 wounds, AP-1 means 0.11 failed saves (and 0.22 average damage)
Stalker: 0.66 hits, wounding on 5s means 0.22 wounds, AP-2 means 0.15 failed saves (but only 0.15 average damage)
Bolt Rifle (Rapid Fire): 1.33 hits, wounding on 5s means 0.44 wounds, AP-1 means 0.22 failed saves.
Bolt Rifle: 0.66 hits, wounding on 5s means 0.22 wounds, AP-1 means 0.11 failed saves
Auto Bolt Rifle: 1.33 hits, wounding on 5s means 0.44 wound, AP0 means 0.15 failed saves (I was not expecting Stalker and Auto Bolt Rifle performance to be identical versus T7 vehicles, at all)

Vs. T8 and Armor 3+

Everything sucks use heavy weapons.

EDIT: Surprisingly conclusions: always use Frags except against heavy tanks, and even then you're more likely to actually land a wound, it just won't do as much damage.

EDIT II: shots does not mean hits. Frag Grenades are the less runaway victor, but are still on average better or equivalent to using a bolter. against everything except tanks.

Strobe fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 28, 2017

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
We're those 3.5 average hits supposed to be shots? They don't auto hit.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

WhiteOutMouse posted:

We're those 3.5 average hits supposed to be shots? They don't auto hit.

You are absolutely correct and I am dumb. Going back and fixing numbers.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Indomitus Crusade Howling Griffons are taking shape!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Decided to do a more in-depth one showing damage to a wider variety of armor values. Looks like frags lose out to kraks or the bolt rifle vs a lot of targets. It's always worth it to throw a grenade if you have a bolter or assault bolter.

Ignoring BS, assuming all shots hit, here's the damage inflicted. Average of 3.5 frag grenade hits vs 1 krak hit vs 2 bolter/bolt rifle hits. It looks like in the one you posted earlier you were having all the frag shots hit but using BS for the others.

pre:
Toughness/Armor     Frag     Krak                            Bolter/Assault bolter   Bolt rifle
T3 5+               1.17     0.69 (1.38 if multiwound)           0.89                     1.11 
T3 4+               0.88     0.55 (1.11 if multiwound)           0.67                     0.89
T3 3+               0.58     0.41 (0.83 if multiwound)           0.44                     0.67  

T4/5 5+             0.77     0.55 (1.11 if multiwound)           0.67/0.44                0.83/0.55   
T4/5 4+             0.58     0.44 (0.89 if multiwound)           0.5/0.33                 0.67/0.44
T4/5 3+             0.39     0.33 (0.67 if multiwound)           0.33/0.22                0.5/0.33
T4/5 2+             0.19     0.22 (0.44 if multiwound)           0.17/0.11                0.33/0.22

T6/7 3+:            0.19     0.25/0.17 (0.5/0.33 if multiwound)  0.22                     0.33
T6/7 2+:            0.1      0.17/0.11 (0.33/0.22 if multiwound) 0.11                     0.22

T8+ 3+:             0.19     0.17 (0.33 if multiwound)           0.11                     0.17
T8+ 2+:             0.1      0.11 (0.22 if multiwound)           0.06                     0.11

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 28, 2017