Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

Niton posted:

It's been known / expected since before landfall that the Houston area could see 2ft+ of rain. The projections bringing it from 2 to 5 are fairly new, though, but.. this flooding has been "just" the 2 feet of rain that was originally expected.
The forecast was for 24-36" but that was for Sat-Tues total rainfall

We got 30" in 24 hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Wark Say posted:

I wonder how many people in his cabinet are constantly either going :doh: or just in a perpetual state of :ughh:

I just assume they're too busy salivating over destroying the country's infrastructure in their own respective domains to even care about Trump.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Just for non Houston goons that's a place where the road is undercut so it's below ground level.

So not that impressive but those spots kill somebody every year when it rains. Mostly idiots though.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Locals received conflicting messages from state, local, and federal authorities. I imagine that it contributed to some of the confusion about whether it was necessary to evacuate.

Also, the hurricane itself didn't become a major national headline until the night before. If you were watching CNN, you might have heard about it only in passing.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Lightning Knight posted:

I imagine there's more "how much money can I shove into this briefcase in between tweets?"

Annointed posted:

I just assume they're too busy salivating over destroying the country's infrastructure in their own respective domains to even care about Trump.
But hasn't Trump (not even the Trump administration; Trump himself) hindered even that?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Houston wasn't supposed to get hit this hard, right? My coworker's wife lives in Houston and he said they were just expecting moderate rain.

Weather forecasting is still super hard and is always just a list of possibilities and percentages. In living memory weather forecasting was outright bad, and I think people generally sort of take the "the truth is in the middle" about weather reports. That it won't be nothing and won't be the end of the world, and generally most people in most of the possible tracks are right, but one track has to end up being the real one.

Like remember this from a few days ago:

Until right before the storm is actually there the answer to "how bad will the storm be in X location" is always "it's hard to say".

Owlofcreamcheese fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Aug 27, 2017

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Wark Say posted:

But hasn't Trump (not even the Trump administration; Trump himself) hindered even that?

They're getting a better opportunity under Trump than they ever would've under Hillary.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Houston wasn't supposed to get hit this hard, right? My coworker's wife lives in Houston and he said they were just expecting moderate rain.

Looks like your coworker and his family are some kind of oblivious idiots.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/erickfernandez/status/901796674993086464

Jesus Christ

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't
I don't understand why Harvey isn't the top story everywhere, everyone's talking about the fight. Reminds me of when most of Missouri was underwater a few months back, you wouldn't have even known that was happening unless you lived there or knew someone there. At least this is trending.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/901814456505831424

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

when locals underestimate the threat of an imminent disaster, it's probably better to look at the officials responsible for getting the message out than to blame the people dying in their attics

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/901814456505831424

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Donald J. Trump: Weather Hype Man

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It'll be fine the president said everything is going well!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Those roadways are dug below sea level so it's not as bad as it looks, but yeah. This is bad.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Extensive Vamping posted:

I don't understand why Harvey isn't the top story everywhere, everyone's talking about the fight. Reminds me of when most of Missouri was underwater a few months back, you wouldn't have even known that was happening unless you lived there or knew someone there. At least this is trending.

Major fights between a black guy and a white guy tend to be a proxy for racial tension.

"Oh god please don't blame me for the bungled response"

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Reminder: https://www.texastribune.org/2017/08/25/officials-send-texans-mixed-messages-hurricane-evacuations/

Ahead of Hurricane Harvey, officials send Texans mixed messages on evacuations

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I do think it's entirely possibly that Trump manages a not-terrible job at this, or at least the appearance of one. Why? Because it's part of the presidential narrative. Like, coming into office doing This Stuff was probably just about the only thing he had any potential passion for (besides just being in charge.) The fact that he's spent so much time deconstructing the institutions he would need to put into play to actually help much also makes me pretty drat dubious he'll accomplish anything that an actually-good president couldn't do a thousand times better but I can see a world where he comes out of this with an approval bump just because he acts presidential for a bit.

E: yeah, I dunno that he's going to come out smelling like roses but I bet something like 5-10 point bump if he actually makes an effort.

Here's a livestream, fwiw. The reporter is in the process of getting a trucker's life saved. She literally just flagged down a police boat passing by.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWuk5BgKUO8

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 27, 2017

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

He will absolutely get a bump because there's no god or hope and we're all hosed

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Seriously will there ever be a point where he will shut up about his election win. Why does that matter so much to him?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Xae posted:

And also what prevent high density development in the first place.

Zoning as a concept is fine, but it is a political tool and like all political tools to favors those with political power.

Zoning laws are virtually never used for this purpose because when that's the political goal you can just not have any zoning regs. In the absence of zoning laws, developers almost universally create low-density suburban and non-mixed use commercial, along with monstrously inefficient crud like service road systems. Even when a developer goes for higher density construction, ad hoc NIMBY opposition is what sinks it, not zoning laws.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Extensive Vamping posted:

People actually paid top dollar (like 98 bucks on PPV? Can't recall) to see two fighters with the most boring fighting styles in their respective disciplines (but a lot of poo poo-talking skills to make up for it! :downsbravo:). You know how it goes.

Adam Vegas
Apr 14, 2013

Can people in this thread please stop saying that things don't 'phase' people? (I.e. saying mcgregor's punches 'didn't phase' mayweather)

When you're talking about not being bothered it's faze. Faze/fazing/fazed. I realise there are far more important things going on re: Trump/Harvey but this seriously drives me nuts

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Electric Phantasm posted:

Seriously will there ever be a point where he will shut up about his election win. Why does that matter so much to him?

What else does he have?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

i would love for the trump administration to do an excellent job at emergency management and disaster recovery, but, at this point, it's too early to tell.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Waffles Inc. posted:

He will absolutely get a bump because there's no god or hope and we're all hosed

Good? what the gently caress is wrong with you? You should hope he does a great job and no one dies and nothing bad happens. Trump can lower his own score with his own crises that he pulls out of no where, we don't need to root for people to die to get his score down when he is so good at that on his own.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

cochise posted:

His administration already said they plan to head down there this week to survey the damage. Do they not understand that the storm will still be in the area? Rescue efforts will be ongoing and his dumbass will hamper them even more because of security concerns. I hope Gov. Abbott tells Trump to go gently caress himself and not enter the state.

I hope he goes down there his helicopter gets struck by lightning and he drowns

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Shot:
https://twitter.com/DWCBC/status/897934020566241280

Chasers
https://twitter.com/WCPO/status/901553973517324289
https://twitter.com/wretchedrefuse0/status/901629453649969152

It was pointed out in the other thread that due to his charges, he will be unable to vote for Trump in 2020.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

But I thought Obama hosed up the response to Katrina? :allears:

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Adam Vegas posted:

Can people in this thread please stop saying that things don't 'phase' people? (I.e. saying mcgregor's punches 'didn't phase' mayweather)

When you're talking about not being bothered it's faze. Faze/fazing/fazed. I realise there are far more important things going on re: Trump/Harvey but this seriously drives me nuts

we've reached peak goon

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Good? what the gently caress is wrong with you? You should hope he does a great job and no one dies and nothing bad happens. Trump can lower his own score with his own crises that he pulls out of no where, we don't need to root for people to die to get his score down when he is so good at that on his own.

Waffles Inc. isn't saying they expect Trump to do a good job, they're saying they expect Trump to do a bad job but not suffer for it in the polls because he's at least "acting presidential."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Because he's a narcissist who lives only to win for the adulation and praise it gets him. He won the election. He hasn't won much of anything else since then.

Adam Vegas
Apr 14, 2013

skylined! posted:

we've reached peak goon

Man I am picky and goony as gently caress about words and I will fully cop to that, no worries there

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Pakled posted:

Waffles Inc. isn't saying they expect Trump to do a good job, they're saying they expect Trump to do a bad job but not suffer for it in the polls because he's at least "acting presidential."

It's this

But to elaborate further, he'll get credit simply for tweeting and doing nothing else, and even worse than that, some part of his twisted loving brain is going to think he actually is helping just by tweeting

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Also it's CHAMPING at the bit. Not chomping.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

QuoProQuid posted:

Also, the hurricane itself didn't become a major national headline until the night before. If you were watching CNN, you might have heard about it only in passing.
I live in Europe, and I've been hearing about the hurricane on its way to drown Texas for nearly a week.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

"Toe" the line, like you're stepping up to the start of a race and getting every inch you can. What the gently caress does 'tow the line' mean?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

NmareBfly posted:

"Toe" the line, like you're stepping up to the start of a race and getting every inch you can. What the gently caress does 'tow the line' mean?

Don't get me started on "hard road to hoe".

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

NmareBfly posted:

Pulling on the rope that is towing some load? The wrong spelling actually makes more metaphorical sense for the phrase's common usage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

NmareBfly posted:

I do think it's entirely possibly that Trump manages a not-terrible job at this, or at least the appearance of one. Why? Because it's part of the presidential narrative. Like, coming into office doing This Stuff was probably just about the only thing he had any potential passion for (besides just being in charge.)

You sweet summer child. Trump is a clinical narcissist who is literally addicted to adulation. Trump will make this situation about himself, hamper/impair any serious response, and then blame the Deep State for intentionally sabotaging the response to make him look bad.

Make no mistake, even Obama would be incredibly hard pressed to handle this situation competently. Texas has spent the past 30 years slowly starving all of its non-vital infrastructure of funds and outside of the areas that commerce depends on heavily everything in Texas is running at a fractional capacity. Massively complicating this is the idiotic libertarians running many Texas localities that have no psychological capacity for dealing with an actual disaster, resulting in evacuation orders not being issued and many more people being trapped in the disaster area than really should be. On top of all that Texas has absurdly loose regulations w/r/t oil production and many of those oil facilities are in no way capable of handling this- there will be areas where the flood waters are turned into toxic (and potentially flammable) sludge by massive leaks of petroleum products.

This is very likely the end of Houston as a major metropolitan area and hub of commerce (at the very least it is a several years pause in that), and its is going to deal a massive blow to the American economy once the reality of how much of our domestic oil production has been destroyed finally sets in.

• Locked thread