Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

So prey is worth it? I have a laptop with an 860m, am I going to struggle to play it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

ilmucche posted:

So prey is worth it? I have a laptop with an 860m, am I going to struggle to play it?

Youll probably be ok on lower settings but yes, worth it.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

RagnarokAngel posted:

Youll probably be ok on lower settings but yes, worth it.

Cool. 30 eris seems like an okay price.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

ilmucche posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Len posted:

The fps was fine until it stopped being about being a jackbooted thug of a cyberpunk megacorp and you started fighting the power to topple the megacorp.

The multiplayer looked really good as well, and I'm kind of disappointed I never got to play it. It was a 4-player co-op affair, but you got most of the hacking mechanics that were available in the main game, and iirc it played out more like Payday 2 than Left 4 Dead. The whole game should have just been that.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

ilmucche posted:

It takes a while to get into it and you might gently caress up your first run. That's all kinda part of the design- it starts to click a couple hours in, once you get your head around the fact that it's doing its own thing and isn't really System Shock 2 or Bioshock. Less foreground narrative, more dungeon.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Inco posted:

The multiplayer looked really good as well, and I'm kind of disappointed I never got to play it. It was a 4-player co-op affair, but you got most of the hacking mechanics that were available in the main game, and iirc it played out more like Payday 2 than Left 4 Dead. The whole game should have just been that.

I've debated making a dead games with coop thread just for things like that or Dead Space 3.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The environmental take-downs in Sleeping Dogs are so loving brutal that it makes it really weird that the Triads suspect me of being a cop because I haven't killed anybody after I literally smashed someone's head through an electronic speaker and slashed a dude with a meat cleaver 20 times. Also the game's weird insistence that guns are the only way to kill somebody.

Yakuza 0 had a strange thing with this too, Majima's whole story was about the possibility of needing to kill someone and how there's never any coming back once you're a killer.

Then suddenly there's a Kiryu section where you're shooting people driving motorcycles, cars, and helicopters, and they're all exploding and THOSE PEOPLE ARE REALLY OBVIOUSLY DEAD

It didn't really drag it down for me, Yakuza 0 was great, but it was a real "what the gently caress?!" moment :v: Like the game never really acknowledges it and I don't know if Kiryu's just cool with murder or if they're trying to play off that the guy I shot in the face and blew up the helicopter he was in stuck the landing

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Agents of Mayhem's story could really use some work. Like how there's this whole thing about how the ultimate head of LEGION is this guy named the Morningstar but he never actually makes an appearance in the game. At most he's in some animated flashback cutscenes with no dialog. Also the setting doesn't make a lot of sense as Legion has destroyed huge chunks of the world but people are still just going around in Seoul like business is normal.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

muscles like this! posted:

Agents of Mayhem's story could really use some work. Like how there's this whole thing about how the ultimate head of LEGION is this guy named the Morningstar but he never actually makes an appearance in the game. At most he's in some animated flashback cutscenes with no dialog. Also the setting doesn't make a lot of sense as Legion has destroyed huge chunks of the world but people are still just going around in Seoul like business is normal.

The character design is pretty poor too, I appreciate that they didn't do Battleborne levels of grotesque exaggeration but at the same time when they're obviously putting so much thought and effort into being "diverse" and having "attitude" but all the women more or less have the exact same body and seem to differentiated entirely by their hair. The color too, it's supposed to a colorful superscience comic book world but it's somehow less saturated and duller than most of the Saints Row games.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Outside the obvious things like weapon degrading, enemies respawning, and the various other stuff rightfully excised between it and Bioshock, the supposed shocking reveal in System Shock 2 is ruined by the supposed person talking to you and the same person's audiologs having entirely different voices.

Like, I remember going into that game completely fresh, and going "OK, I get it, you're Shodan" from minute three.

E: vvv that, and the game's audio test sound is Shodan's diatribe from the first one.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 01:58 on Aug 27, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

MisterBibs posted:

Outside the obvious things like weapon degrading, enemies respawning, and the various other stuff rightfully excised between it and Bioshock, the supposed shocking reveal in System Shock 2 is ruined by the supposed person talking to you and the same person's audiologs having entirely different voices.

Like, I remember going into that game completely fresh, and going "OK, I get it, you're Shodan" from minute three.

It's spoiled by the game's box art, kind of.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I remembered I made this post in the little things in games thread.

Cleretic posted:

People talking about FFXIV's musical batshittery and genre-hopping for raids like that's not the best part of the soundtrack.

The worst part is that Heavensward's story only knows one tune.

I remembered this now, because oh my god Stormblood is so much worse than Heavensward in this regard. It knows one tune, that tune is grating, and they use it in ways that don't even make sense. The theme is supposed to be the anthem of the empire that's occupying the nations the expansion's set in, so I feel like it probably shouldn't be the BGM of the secret resistance city you spend a lot of the early parts of the expansion working out of.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Those few years where it was mandated by law that your allies had to turn on you in the final act of every game, no matter how poorly thought-out or needlessly sudden the heel-turn was, were really tiresome.

Even Kid Icarus Uprising did that. I think it's generally because they made all these assets for friendlies and didn't want them going to waste.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Cleretic posted:

I remembered I made this post in the little things in games thread.

I remembered this now, because oh my god Stormblood is so much worse than Heavensward in this regard. It knows one tune, that tune is grating, and they use it in ways that don't even make sense. The theme is supposed to be the anthem of the empire that's occupying the nations the expansion's set in, so I feel like it probably shouldn't be the BGM of the secret resistance city you spend a lot of the early parts of the expansion working out of.

That song isn't used nearly as often as the Stormblood main theme, which is used as the dungeon boss theme, the theme for a dungeon, and the theme for a major city (as well as some other stuff). I actually really like the Stormblood main theme, though, so it doesn't bother me too much.

Also, regarding the anthem, it's the Ala Mhigan anthem, not the Garlean one. The Garleans changed the lyrics after conquering Ala Mhigo because they're dicks.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
After finding the first two NES Megamans at least interesting I figured I'd give the original Super Mario Bros a go, and wow it's a very slippery game. Momentum has hosed me really hard multiple times and it's tough to gauge how to get him to jump particularly high - I've never manages to launch myself high enough to hit the tops of any flagpoles. I'm probably just going to skip straight to the SNES generation of mario games because the NES is really hard to control. Also Mario's big sprite is way too big to be comfortable. Overall it has aged super badly.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

the original Super Mario Bros
who are you and what have you done to BioEnchanted

I can't help but agree though. But you should check out SMB2 because, while its physics are also more than dodgy, when I played it a while ago without savestates (well, saving between worlds), I found that it was actually really well designed and had a great learning curve.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I don't just play old and obscure games you know. I've talked about Horizon a bunch in the the other thread, along with others, I just often like to go back to old personal favourites, or check out an old classic to see how I do.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

BioEnchanted posted:

After finding the first two NES Megamans at least interesting I figured I'd give the original Super Mario Bros a go, and wow it's a very slippery game. Momentum has hosed me really hard multiple times and it's tough to gauge how to get him to jump particularly high - I've never manages to launch myself high enough to hit the tops of any flagpoles. I'm probably just going to skip straight to the SNES generation of mario games because the NES is really hard to control. Also Mario's big sprite is way too big to be comfortable. Overall it has aged super badly.

Mario 1 is the only one with wonky physics. Well, 2 is also I guess but it's a very different game and it works well for that game. 3 is when they really figured it out, so you really should play that one.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
West of Loathing is a fun and funny game and has made me laugh out loud at many points BUT 95% of the combat skills are totally useless [big shout out to Shootenanny, which will invariably burn all your action points to hose down empty squares with lead) and Doc Alice's one-hit-kill-a-skeleton attack takes waaaay the gently caress too long.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
AssCreed Revelations must be kidding if they expect me to 100% sync every mission

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Don't, also don't raise every assassin in your stupid world domination minigame to master assassin rank. It does nothing. I learned this when I did it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

Mario 1 plays fantastically, you just have to realize that Mario and Mega Man take completely different approaches to platforming. Mega Man is all about fixed-distance, precise jumps. You don't build up speed, and momentum doesn't affect his jump distance. It's much slower. Mario is all about controlling your momentum to change your jump distance, and constantly moving. You're having a hard time with it because you're trying to play it like a completely different game.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Action Tortoise posted:

AssCreed Revelations must be kidding if they expect me to 100% sync every mission

The AC series is bad in that mission-replay is a grinding choir that restricts the player to doing a certain set of actions with no room for self-expression. You're not allowed to use tools you get later in the game when replaying earlier missions. It's almost as if the whole sandbox aspect of the series was a lazy afterthought.

Meanwhile MGSV let's you re-do early missions aided by your big-tittied-sniper which happened before you recruited her, and the enemies get harder as well, and they don't expect you to complete every goal at once.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Those few years where it was mandated by law that your allies had to turn on you in the final act of every game, no matter how poorly thought-out or needlessly sudden the heel-turn was, were really tiresome.

Aw gee the home base area has a bunch of conspicuously locked doors and also interactive objects that I can't use because my weapons don't work here, I wonder what that could possible mean :thunk:

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

MGSV let's you re-do early missions aided by your big-tittied-sniper which happened before you recruited her, and the enemies get harder

that's a hell of an asset

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Assassin's Creed IV: Freedom Cry is one of the free PS+ games this month so I decided to give it a try. I haven't played any of the series since base ACII, and I really don't like how the combat feels now. I'm just pressing buttons and Adawale just kind of does things on his own. It's very fluid and looks cool in action, but there's just no "pop" to any of the animations so I feel like I don't actually have any kind of input. It's kind of hard to describe it but hopefully I'm getting the message across.

Tip Shades
Oct 28, 2016

Len posted:

I've debated making a dead games with coop thread just for things like that or Dead Space 3.

I'd be on board with that. Most of my steam library is games I got on sale long after people stopped caring about them and multiplayer is a ghost town.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
In Prey if you throw an object while floating in zero-G the force doesn't send you flying backwards :colbert:

Action Tortoise posted:

that's a hell of an asset

The dynamic responsive difficulty thing is pretty cool but it exists independent​ of story progress so if you replay early missions it's all A-ranked soldiers with endgame equipment. Theoretically you can make some missions even harder by holding off and getting upgrades rather than tackling it as soon as possible when the soldiers are weaker and don't have as many tricks like shooting down Fulton balloons or using decoys.

Also while it mostly works well (do a lot of headshots and dudes will start wearing helmets while if you use a lot of smoke bombs they wear gasmasks, for example) other parts are either bugged or incomplete because sneaking is supposed to make more cameras pop up yet you only ever see a handful in the entire game no matter how you play.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

In Prey if you throw an object while floating in zero-G the force doesn't send you flying backwards :colbert:

The dynamic responsive difficulty thing is pretty cool but it exists independent​ of story progress so if you replay early missions it's all A-ranked soldiers with endgame equipment. Theoretically you can make some missions even harder by holding off and getting upgrades rather than tackling it as soon as possible when the soldiers are weaker and don't have as many tricks like shooting down Fulton balloons or using decoys.

Also while it mostly works well (do a lot of headshots and dudes will start wearing helmets while if you use a lot of smoke bombs they wear gasmasks, for example) other parts are either bugged or incomplete because sneaking is supposed to make more cameras pop up yet you only ever see a handful in the entire game no matter how you play.

dude it was a dick joke

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Neir Automata taking away my ability to do anything but limp while there are multiple level 50 robots around is not my idea of a good time. They even punched me into the super deep hole in the city ruins twice and I couldn't climb out because this drat virus won't even let me use the ladder.

After the poo poo show that was route B I'm really struggling to find a reason to finish the game.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Guy Mann posted:

i think it sucks that they never implemented patrolling walkers in the open world. you only see them in the missions where they would appear.

also i dunno if it's possible to start a ruckus at one base to have other bases funnel their troops over for assistance so you could attack those now-exposed bases. i feel like that won't work because of the way the game handles chunks of the world.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

moosecow333 posted:

Neir Automata taking away my ability to do anything but limp while there are multiple level 50 robots around is not my idea of a good time. They even punched me into the super deep hole in the city ruins twice and I couldn't climb out because this drat virus won't even let me use the ladder.

After the poo poo show that was route B I'm really struggling to find a reason to finish the game.

yeah, that happened to me too. that's the one thing i wished the game didn't bring back from mgr.

i thought it was worth it, because after route b you get chapter select and can clean up whatever sidequests or weapons you missed out on.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

...continuing from my post in the 'favorite little things' thread, sparing or killing the NPCs in Bioshock 2 ends up sort of beside the point since completing any variety of ending still ends with all of them drowning.

Ironically, this actually makes perfect sense from a game design-narrative standpoint since your decisions aren't ultimately about your morality, but the kind of person that influence turns Eleanor into. It just so happens that the kind of person she turns into is willing to cut her losses and get the gently caress out of Dodge, making her an ideal player stand-in! That's what makes it a little thing that annoys me rather than a major criticism, you see. :v:

Rangpur has a new favorite as of 23:24 on Aug 27, 2017

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
I'm playing through System Shock 2, and the wrench is kind of a piece of poo poo to use. It's very hard to get a good idea of whether it's going to hit something or not, and it's very frustrating. Now I'm stuck in Engineering by three turrets that I can't get past because I don't have enough ammo or cover to kill them before they kill me. It's got great atmosphere, but doing just about anything in this game is so annoying.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

So I was complaining about XCOM 2 and the alien rulers a while back and how I felt like they came out of nowhere. Turns out my buddy and I hadn't checked the box at the beginning of our campaign to generate the missions related to the rulers, so the game just introduced them randomly right out the gate. We scrapped our first playthrough because the Berserker Queen wiped our only non-injured fireteam (before we'd even seen normal berserkers), and then saw this option when we began a new one.

God drat. :suicide:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, the integration of the Rulers and their mission into the game was not particularly elegant. If you decide you don't want them in the game at all you either check the mission and ignore it or disable the DLC before you launch the game.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

marshmallow creep posted:

Yeah, the integration of the Rulers and their mission into the game was not particularly elegant. If you decide you don't want them in the game at all you either check the mission and ignore it or disable the DLC before you launch the game.

We opted to permanently ignore the mission. Much better now.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Inco posted:

I'm playing through System Shock 2, and the wrench is kind of a piece of poo poo to use. It's very hard to get a good idea of whether it's going to hit something or not, and it's very frustrating. Now I'm stuck in Engineering by three turrets that I can't get past because I don't have enough ammo or cover to kill them before they kill me. It's got great atmosphere, but doing just about anything in this game is so annoying.

System Shock 2 wasn't particularly fun to play when it came out and it hasn't aged very well in the years since then. It's definitely an important game and the sound design is pretty spooky (almost entirely by accident because it's so bad at accurately rendering the distance of sounds that you won't know if a monster is in another room or right behind you until it's too late, especially with the constant loud EDM playing in the background) but other than that I don't really feel too bad about never finishing it when I loved Thief and Deus Ex enough to play through them a whole bunch years after the fact.

It also kind of started that whole cliche where whenever you run into a character monologuing to you from behind unbreakable glass that they're totally about to get ganked as a Feels Moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daedo
May 5, 2002

Action Tortoise posted:

I just finished the game today whilst playing through the Ezio Collection, and there's several missions that had full sync requirements that were a pain in the rear end. Somehow I got the achievement for doing this on the 360, but that was six years ago and now I don't have the time or the patience to try it here. Especially because failing full sync means restarting the whole memory, as reloading checkpoints wasn't introduced until a later game.

im pooping! posted:

Don't, also don't raise every assassin in your stupid world domination minigame to master assassin rank. It does nothing. I learned this when I did it.

Actually this is worthwhile simply to get an assassin locking down each den in the city. That way you can get full notierety and not worry about Templars recapturing the den if you don't play the tower defence mini game,. Also an easy source of money throughout the game.