Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Vil posted:

Another thing, considering that some of the upper tier mystic artes can be a little finicky to use directly, they're arguably a lot easier to pull off in mystic arte chains, where you do the switch character thing that has them fire off a mystic arte as they come in. If you cycle through all six characters like this, characters 1 and 2 in the chain do the tier 1 mystic arte, characters 3 and 4 do the tier 2, and characters 5 and 6 do the tier 3. If a character doesn't have a given tier unlocked (tier 3 unlocks in the final dungeon) they'll use the highest tier they do have.

Oh yeah, this too. It's pretty much the only way to see an AI character use their second and third mystic artes since they never combo enough to do them on their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Any tips for hail satan?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
speaking of page 666, crossposting some good starter advice for Binding of Isaac from steam thread

Dias posted:

BoI tips:

Keys are important and so are soul hearts. Do whatever you need to get both and DON'T WASTE THAT poo poo - aka don't go opening every golden chest or store unless you have 15 coins or taking damage on completely avoidable stuff.

Soul hearts are important because if you don't take red heart damage you get a Devil Deal after a boss, and Devil Deals have broken-rear end powerups in them. Yeah, you need to sacrifice permanent health for it but if you get a good deal you're not gonna be taking damage anyway (Brimstone is a win button and so are Guppy items if you get three of them). Learn how to identify tinted rocks because they give out both keys AND soul hearts if you blow them up. They look off-color and have a mark on them, it's pretty easy to pick them out on the first couple of levels.

Secret rooms are a good use of your spare bombs. They're usually surrounded by other rooms and technically reachable by any of them without flight/more bombs. Basically, if a room has a big hole/pile of rocks in front of where a secret room could be, you can safely assume there's no secret room there. Secret rooms give you a bunch of coins and sometimes other items (and sometimes nothing but hey RNG is a bitch).

Learn your items, go to http://platinumgod.co.uk/ if you need a cheat sheet. I value damage, flight and mapping above everything else. Soy Milk sucks, My Reflection sucks, Ipecac is good but you're gonna kill yourself, Tiny Planet is horrendous and I hate it.

Boss killing advice spoilered
You beat Gurdy by baiting her shot and moving diagonally to the next wall. You beat Rag Man by shooting his head and his spiders first. You beat Mom by baiting her stomp (or using The Bible on her). You don't really beat The Bloat so just give up.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Anyone get anywhere in Pandora's Tower who would like to share some beginner's tips? I've finished the tutorial dungeon but even in the first "real" dungeon, I'm finding it hard to manage my time and inventory space effectively. Is there some trick I'm missing, like "fast travel back to courtyard," "remotely add items to storage," or something? Glancing at the timer and realizing that I need to haul rear end back to the entrance pronto when I'm right in front of the boss door sucks.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Anyone get anywhere in Pandora's Tower who would like to share some beginner's tips? I've finished the tutorial dungeon but even in the first "real" dungeon, I'm finding it hard to manage my time and inventory space effectively. Is there some trick I'm missing, like "fast travel back to courtyard," "remotely add items to storage," or something? Glancing at the timer and realizing that I need to haul rear end back to the entrance pronto when I'm right in front of the boss door sucks.

It's been a while since I played that game, but from what I remember, you'll be making multiple runs into a dungeon - most of the time, you'll be doing runs to get stronger and progress further in the towers, unlocking shortcuts if you can. Eventually you should make a run intending on getting to the boss, avoiding as many enemies as you can and not wasting any time for pickups and such.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Eldred posted:

What's so bad about it? No stake in the game, just curious.

It's horribly balanced, glitch laden and laggy. Ubisoft are morons, and it'll probably never be fixed.

Hell, they just had a free weekend coinciding with their Season 3 launch and big promotion tournament to get people hyped and assure them the game isn't poo poo! The tournament was promptly won by a guy abusing exploits and glitches, who while accepting his prize on stage admitted that he "Didn't think it would be this easy", and that he hadn't played the game for three weeks prior to the tournament, and then ended with asking the Ubi rep to not patch out the glitches he was abusing to win. And I don't mean like old school "before combos were invented it was a glitch that you could chain two moves together" stuff from the 80s. He was using a glitch that let him make his moves unblockable. A glitch that has been around since release, unpatched.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
So, I played Bloodborne for about two hours when it came out. I just picked it up again, no DLC, and only prior Souls experience is about three hours of DS2. What do I need to know to help lessen the horrific beating I'm about to get?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
the beforeiplay wiki is pretty up to date, if you want a bit more guided tour you can look up the game progress route on the bloodborne wiki.

Choose the axe, buff vit to 25 & stam to 15 before you raise any other stats. hold r2 in 2handed mode and spin to win every day. Use every insight skull you come across. Spend all those shards for upgrades, you get more than enough throughout the game to upgrade at least 3 weapons to +9 and later you can buy them for souls and insight so don't worry about experimenting. If you can GET to the hunter's dream, you can probably do a little bit of the start of it.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 14, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
One more thing for Mass Effect 3:

- Don't neglect the bottom floor of the Normandy. It's the only place you can directly upgrade weapons, and if you don't feel like running around, you can use the requisitions console to just buy your way through a lot of the side-quests.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 15, 2017

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

I'm about halfway through Batman: Arkham Knight on PC and the frame drops are starting to really get to me. Are there any fan patches or tweaks that fix it? Chasing down lieutenants is obnoxious when you slam in to walls because you got no frames.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
My friend bought me it on GOG, so let's talk about the Turok 2 remaster. All this is already up on the wiki, but I'm also posting it here for posterity.

General
- Play on Easy or Normal at first, the difficulty ramps up pretty quick after the first couple stages.

- There is no autosave. Make sure you save early and often.

- The game expects you to switch weapons regularly, otherwise you'll quickly start running into ammo problems.

- Maneuverability is life. Try to always have room to strafe and somewhere to retreat to.

- On that note, watch your step, the game is an rear end in a top hat about bottomless pits.

- The shotgun has much less spread than you'd expect, but a fair bit of drift.

- Turning on or off objective hints is a personal choice. They're not too difficult to find with the brightness up at a decent level, though.

- The free health/ammo refills at checkpoints are tied to that specific point. Don't feel bad about using them, but consider saving them if you think you might backtrack to them soon.

- Every level has one 'trap' checkpoint that takes you to a fairly tough arena fight, so try to keep that in mind. Bright side, find them all and you can assemble the ultimate weapon.

Cheats
- Different versions of the game have their cheat codes changed for whatever reason, On the Steam/GOG release, the master cheat is BEWAREOBLIVIONISATHAND.

- You can play pseudo-co-op by entering multiplayer, then using the level warp cheat. Fair warning, this will completely disable checkpoints, so you may want to consider also turning on Infinite Ammo.

- Infinite Lives could very well be considered a quality-of-life improvement on the higher difficulties.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 15, 2017

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Total War: Warhammer
I don't know if this is the kind of thing you guys would want in the wiki, but even as an off-and-on again Total War veteran, I found a video detailing army control hotkeys and movement helpful just for quality of life. There are a bunch on youtube, but this was the one I personally used (as it was by a youtuber whos videos I watch anyway):
Lionheartx10 Hotkey and Tweaks video

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Finished Dragon Age Origins yesterday. Anything I should know for Awakenings? The wiki has nothing (that I know is specifically about the expansion). Also is there a reason to play the other dlc? Wiki says play Leliana's and Shale's but it doesn't mention if it's a quest in the game (since companions DO have their own quests, for example I never bothered to actually go to Honnleath) or if it's one of the dlc like Leliana's Song or Golems of Angorrak. I just ask that because I feel at this point they might be irrelevant other than fleshing out backstory details and it quite possibly has no bearing on Awakening.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Leliana is a standalone dlc. Shale is in game and gives you a fun new companion but since you're already done with origins you're not gonna get to play with it at all, they don't follow you into awakening

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

juliuspringle posted:

Finished Dragon Age Origins yesterday. Anything I should know for Awakenings? The wiki has nothing (that I know is specifically about the expansion). Also is there a reason to play the other dlc? Wiki says play Leliana's and Shale's but it doesn't mention if it's a quest in the game (since companions DO have their own quests, for example I never bothered to actually go to Honnleath) or if it's one of the dlc like Leliana's Song or Golems of Angorrak. I just ask that because I feel at this point they might be irrelevant other than fleshing out backstory details and it quite possibly has no bearing on Awakening.

The story of Witch Hunt is stand alone, and ties into DA: Inquisition if you plan to continue the series, and IMO is well worth a play through if you find Morrigan interesting (it seems made for those that romance her, but it's not only for them... I'd say why, but that's spoilers). Ofc you can't import directly, so its more a case of if you want to see the story first hand. For Awakenings, know that there is a Big Choice in plot, but it comes late, so I'll just say that there is a 3rd option to that situation. The point of no return is clearly signposted. Also the blacksmith shop eventually (or maybe even initially) will sell respec potions, so don't worry too much about points. Can't recall if it allows you to change specializations though.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Anything for West of Loathing? I've heard it might be pretty full of missables.

edit: Pyre is another game I'd love tips on.

flatluigi fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 19, 2017

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

flatluigi posted:

edit: Pyre is another game I'd love tips on.

There were a couple of posts on Pyre here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2969807&pagenumber=662&perpage=40#post474808654

Also you get a fair amount, and later on more potent versions, of the talisman upgrades available to buy so don't worry about hoarding too much.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Hmm. For West of Loathing ...

The game autosaves all the time, but you can have multiple characters, the option to switch between or delete them only appears on the main menu once you have multiple.
You can turn off/on the game spending XP for you in the options at any time.
The choice of book from Mom has no long term effects (the others will be available in various ways).
Hover over blue text in item and skill descriptions for an explanation of various game mechanics.
Days passing has some effects on some things.
A no killing run is possible, but does not have an achievement.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

flatluigi posted:

West of Loathing
  • you're going to miss things on each run. deal with it.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

flatluigi posted:

Eat food and stuff, it helps a lot

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Could someone add a Mass Effect Andromeda article to the wiki? Its not the kind of game I plan to play more then once so I'd like to have some knowledge going in for what works and what doesn't.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
For West of Loathing is there anything I should know about the ghost child/satanic ritual?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

flatluigi posted:

Don't increase your M* stats much, increase your G* stats and buff up with food and drinks, between that and equipment your M* stats will be higher than you could ever get them by spending XP.
Check in every spittoon
Things that really do nothing have "just sell it" in blue text, things that don't have it but have no practical use are probably used in crafting or wanted by some NPC that'll give you more than just selling them:
Cow bits are turned in for reward to circus boss, one of hippies crafts stuff out of bones and teeth(or you can make summon consumables if you get into necromancy), goblin jeweler makes things from rare gems, silver things can be turned to silver bullets and needles.
Revisit areas when you get new gadgets/skills - aside from obvious stuff like foraging, safecracking and lockpicking, hammer and nails can be used to turn loose boards into crates with loot, and there are two Vibrato things that reveal previously invisible stuff, also beanslinger specific crafting skill reveals new ore type in caves/mines that you use to craft gear.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Aug 22, 2017

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
If anyone's thinking of playing crimsonland its good to know that 'bonus economist', 'bonus magnet' and 'telekenisis' will win you pretty much any level handily.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Is there anything I should know for Dragon Age 2 before I get too far into it? Besides this being way more garbage than I remembered.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

juliuspringle posted:

Is there anything I should know for Dragon Age 2 before I get too far into it? Besides this being way more garbage than I remembered.

You can respec and change your character's appearance with The Black Emporium. There's also a box of freebies that will be overpowered for a while so you may as well use them.

Companion armor is upgraded when you buy the plan from whichever merchants sell them or when you find it in a chest. The last upgrades will be in the final act as quest rewards. The upgrade path is rigid so don't think you have to shop around for better upgrades or anything; just buy them as you come across them.

Rivalry can be just as handy as Friendship but commit to one or the other or you won't reap the benefits. Some characters are much easier to make rivals than buddies, especially Fenris and Anders depending on your take on mages.

There will be fewer setpieces than you remember. Traps, chests, and enemy spawns are generally always in the same spots. You really shouldn't waste your time running around a huge area for loot unless you know there's a unique item you want in a specific place. You WILL have to run around in empty areas a lot to finish wiping out the city gangs.

Speaking of sets, there are a multitude of armor sets in the game- one for each class in each act, and one for each class in each major DLC. You'll find most pieces by accident but if you're missing one and really want to finish the set, look up the location before leaving the act.

Anders will be your best healer at the beginning, and unless you plan otherwise will be your primary healer throughout the entire game. If you think you will hate Anders, make sure to pick up heals yourself or with Merrill.

Carver/Bethany WILL leave your party by the start of Act 2. Whether they leave as a corpse, prisoner or Grey Warden is dependent on your actions immediately prior and during the Deep Roads Expedition.

Your dog does come with you for pretty much the entire game. You just have to remember to summon him in each new zone.

Dual-wielding rogues got an upgrade from Origins. Archery and Sword+Shield are still boring as hell.

Buy every backpack.

im cute fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 24, 2017

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Iirc backpacks are carried by specific merchants in each act and if you don't buy it, it disappears. Assuming I'm right about that, it's worth googling to make sure you pick them up before act changes.

Or, if you're on PC, just cheat, who cares

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
Anything for The Elder Scrolls Online?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Nohman posted:

Anything for The Elder Scrolls Online?

- You are scaled up to the enemies level. This means that you can go pretty much everywhere and don't have to follow the quests. Due to your stat scaling your gear isn't really important in the beginning.
- Skills gain experience by being on your hotbar when you get experience points and in case of armor, depending on what you wear. So while leveling you generally want to wear at least 1 piece of each of the three armor categories (light, medium, heavy) and have 1 skill of each of your class skilllines on your hotbar.
- You want to pick either magicka or stamina and put all your stat points into them, because the size of your resource pools doubles as the stat governing the damage of of abilities. Stamina guys use weapons, Magicka guys use staves generally.
- Don't worry if your class only seems to have magicka skills if you are a stamina dude. Eventually you'll be able to morph skills, which adds extra effects to the skill and on some skills changes which attributes governs it.
- Alliances really only matter for PvP. The cash shop has an unlock that allows you to pick race independant of alliance.
- Even if you do not plan on becoming a crafter right now, you should use the research function to learn traits. Because the research system will limit you, should you ever decide to craft anyway and trait research takes real life time.
- Sell everything until you can afford a mount. All mounts are functionally identical. Everything after the first is just skins. At the beginning a mount is not fast, but it allows you to train riding skills once every 16 hours, which can increase mount speed, mount endurance and inventory.
- Respecs are cheap and skill points are, eventually, plentiful enough. So do not stress about spending them and just try out what you like.
- Roll Argonian and be a giant lizard.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Is TES:O actually a decent game? I'm a big fan of more unique MMOs like TSW or FFXIV, and by god I love the Elder Scrolls series. Is it playable for free or is the ESO+ subscription pretty much required? And speaking of which - anything for TES: Arena?

I actually came here to ask about PUBG though. I know there's probably wikis and millions of videos and fansites and probably several threads here but I just want like four or five bullet points so I can jump in and get killed organically. Like, if I find a cool red and white striped shirt, does it generally have any benefit other than letting my enemies know that I'm making a lot of Where's Waldo puns to myself while I kill them? I've only really had time to play one round so far but went in completely blind and had a blast, although mashing around on my keyboard to figure out how to chug energy drinks was a pain.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

food court bailiff posted:

I actually came here to ask about PUBG though.
Things to know:

Drop as far to the 'side' of the flight path as possible so you can at least get a basic weapon before getting murdered. You can fly around 2 "squares" distance.
All shirts/boots/whatever are cosmetic.
Bind the 'loot nearby / inventory' key to something convenient and use it to loot rather than looking down and hitting F. Just run into a room and open inventory to see if there's anything worth looting in a pile.
Dragging loot over is faster than right clicking. Looting fast is absolutely critical to the game.
Larger cities have better items. Vehicles spawn along side the road. Mobility is life until the very end of the game, so try and get a vehicle.
Get in the habit of closing doors behind you, at least in the early game. If someone sees doors open they know you're around and can hunt or ambush on exit.
Pistols are bad after the first 2 mins (unless you've got a silencer), and you'll optimally want a modded rifle & a shotgun/smg and a frying pan as a melee weapon. Silencers+Scopes are A+
The key items in initial looting are helmet, backpack, police vest (armor) and medpacks/bandages + a weapon. Once you get those, get out there and get hunting and kill someone else for their probably better weapon. Looting and scavenging makes you vulnerable, so keep it to a bare minimum.
Don't use hip fire (holding right click) on any weapon except for the shotgun and SMG. Tap it to sight down the barrel for rifles.
Don't hoard ammo or mods, you probably won't get to use them before you die. You'll want backpack space so if you kill a guy you can run over and loot everything and sort it out later when you aren't vulnerable
NEVER STAND STILL. Especially while looting a corpse. Get in the habit of moving back and forth while looting. If you're fired at and duck behind something, keep moving left and right and alternating crouch as much as you can to make headshots harder.
If you start taking fire in the open, DON'T GO PRONE. It won't work and you'll die. Juke around and run for cover instead. Only go prone if you're sure no one can see you do it. The "grass" is only visually ~100yds out from your character so it's easy to see someone prone/ducking relatively far away unless they are in a bush. Turn yours to minimum in the options like everyone else does.
Bind the autorun key and hold ALT while running to look around you constantly. Check your flanks, check your back to see if someone's following.
Sitting still and waiting for the circle to contract is completely viable mid-game strategy, if a bit boring. The first few circle contractions don't do a ton of damage, so don't treat them like a death wall if you're in a skirmish or about to be in one. Just let it past you and soak the damage. The later ones do serious damage though so be careful if you make it to end-game.
Opening fire tells everyone exactly where you are and you WILL get opportunists shooting you in the back. Sound is more important than sight in a lot of cases.
You have to lead your shots significantly if you're gunning for someone running across a field, best to watch a video or don't try at all. Really re-consider before opening up without a silencer because it's a giant dinner bell.
7-8-9-0 are your medical hotkeys.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 27, 2017

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PUBG:

Tab is your default "open inventory" to loot whats around you button.
Your hair is part of your hitbox. If you're worried about early, pre-helmet gunfights, don't make your character have an afro.
You can crouch-jump through windows without actually knocking out the glass first. They don't have player-hitbox collision.
If you're playing third person, play like an enormous coward. Hide below/around cover and use your camera to peek. Defender should win every gunfight in 3PP because of this, as you can see them when they can't possibly shoot you.
Don't carry too many bandages once you have first aids and boosters (painkillers and energy drinks).
Carry all the boosters you find and all the medkits you can.
Don't hoard grenades. If there's a situation it seems like it might be useful to flush somebody out (or kill people you've knocked down), USE THEM.
Pros favor weapons that use 5.56 ammo. Particularly the SCAR and the M416. Snipers are also useful, with all the ones that come from crates being definitely worth having, the Kar98 and SKS being more of a preference thing.
Play on Low settings (except for draw distance, and textures if you prefer) even if your rig can handle higher. You're only gimping yourself with higher settings.
Don't assume grass will cover you if you're laying down in it. It's stop rendering at certain distances, so you'll just be laying there blatantly exposed in a lot of cases.
Shotguns have surprising range, especially with a Choke. Especially early, a single shotgun blast to the chest will kill someone. Once they get level 3s shotguns drop in effectiveness, but with a choke you can one tap someone out to like 40 yards. It's pretty decent, as far as video game shotguns go.
The Circle closes in at a proportional rate based on distance. So while it will take 30 seconds (or whatever) for the blue circle to reach the white circle, that is true for the entire circle regardless of distance. Therefor, the "thin" side, where the two circles are already close together, moves slower because it has less distance to travel in the same fixed amount of time.
This is personal preference, but I find the game far more fun as a duo than a solo (or especially than squads).
Also preference: Play first person perspective. 3PP is mostly about abusing the camera the best.

Oh, and if you get to terminal velocity while parachuting (by tilting your mouse straight down so you have no horizontal movement) you'll fall a bit further than you normally would before your chute opens. This lets you get to the ground faster, which is crucial if you're dropping somewhere contested.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

food court bailiff posted:

Is TES:O actually a decent game? I'm a big fan of more unique MMOs like TSW or FFXIV, and by god I love the Elder Scrolls series.

Some people really seem to dig it, my friend for example who just loves that world's lore, but it did nothing for me gameplay-wise. If you go into it expecting an online TES Skyrim style game, you will be disappointed, as they had to take some liberties with its combat due to its engine. Watch a combat video or two to see if that's your bag.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

More PUBG:

A punch to the head is an instakill if the target does not have an helmet, so go for headshots whenever possible in fistfights. A common tactic is to jump and melee for a superman punch.
Make sure to equip the default holster in your inventory. It gives a small amount of extra carrying capacity.
The pan can save your rear end, literally. Always pick one up.

e: Buy crates for in-game cash and sell them on the Steam market for funbucks.

Rectus fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 27, 2017

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

i tried to get into TES:O a couple times but they somehow managed to find a way to make the combat even worse than it is in normal TES games.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Full game's not even out yet in NA/EU, but from the Monster Hunter: Stories demo: (keep in mind this is all from the demo version and is based only on my own experience)

Whoever you're riding in the over world is your partner in battles. Be careful if you're transitioning into an area with a lot of enemies when riding a baby.

You and your monster share a MP pool. You regenerate MP with successful head to head battles and other positive actions.

You can be knocked out 3x before you're a goner. Sometimes it's worth getting in a big attack if you have hearts (lives) to spare, but don't be dumb; boss monsters hit very hard and a group encounter can get you from full HP to no HP in a hurry.

Rock-Paper-Scissors battles only happen with enemies you're going head-to-head with. If you're hitting enemies that are attacking your monster or preparing to use skills, your attack won't get a bonus or penalty.

You can save your monster from making a dumb attack decision by forcing them to use a skill. Obviously you can only do this if you have the affinity to use the skill.

Both you and your monster using the same attack type against a monster will occasionally trigger a massive tandem attack which gives a lot of affinity if it doesn't kill your enemy outright.

If things are looking bad, consider hopping on your monster's back for some riding action. Also, some bombs can put the enemy on its back, giving you a chance to pop a potion or rest.

Monster nests will spawn frequently, which is nice because you can carry as many as 12 eggs before you have to head back. If you clear out the monster den, there is less of a chance of a monster spawning in the egg area. Once you have your egg, moving to the egg area exit will move you out of the entire nest.

You can feed your monsters seemingly unlimited amount of food. In the beginning you can craft "Dragon Noodles" out of very common materials and feed them to an underleveled monster to catch it up in a hurry.

Sword and shield seem more useful than long swords. Not sure about horns or the last weapon type as there aren't any in the demo. Skills seem to be more important than pure damage.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm doing a replay of FF7 on account of it being 20 years old and I figured this is as good a thread to ask in as any.

Is there some bug relating to the red submarine and Key of the Ancients in the PC remake of Final Fantasy 7? I sank the sub, then got dialogue saying that the Huge Materia is in Junon about to be loaded on to a plane. The red sub is at the bottom of the ocean as it should be, but I can't interact with it. When I went for the Key that gave me the Materia instead and then disappeared.

It's been a long time since I last played this so I can't remember exactly how this bit is supposed to work, but it seems weird and I'm worried about getting stuck on some dumb bug.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
that's really really really not supposed to happen and that's also not a known (or at least well-catalogued) bug

you should be able to just edit yourself the key to the ancients if you use the jenova save editor here...
http://www.qhimm.com/
... but i can't say for certain if it'll work or not because it may not have run the event where you actually get the key, and that could be be a problem if the game actually has the progress event flag tied to the event that shows you in the sub getting the key instead of checking for "key item in inventory == true"

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Loading up a save from before Junon and replaying the Underwater Reactor and the sub fight fixed it. Let this be a PSA to everyone: Always keep a backup save.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Something for The Evil Within:

- You can kick burning hay bales. Might not be worthwhile compared to just downing an enemy and lighting them up though.