Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

kind of a lovely thing to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Paradoxish posted:

This is really unlikely to happen. This storm is going to be very bad, but the reason the potential for so much economic damage exists is because there's a huge amount of economic value there. Vulnerable cities like Houston may already be dead on their feet as we go into the coming decades, but that kind of abandonment will happen over a long period of time as economic interests slowly pack up and leave for higher ground. Major cities will always recover in the immediate aftermath of a huge storm because the cost of just abandoning salvageable but currently inoperable infrastructure is too high.

The economic value is the infrastructure itself as well as the skilled workers who live in the area. With the infrastructure effectively kaput and the workers unable to live in the area for months the city is going to see a substantial loss in population. This isn't a small enough event where a rapid rebuilding phase can largely mitigate those losses- the equipment needed to rebuild Houston is going to be needed all over southeast Texas, and said equipment is going to need roads rebuilt before it gets there. In the meantime attempting to feed and support so many people is going to consume the bulk of available resources for at least the next few weeks if not longer.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 27, 2017

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Trabisnikof posted:

New Orleans is a vastly different situation. Very little of Houston is actually below sea level besides the roads. There was a purposeful attempt in New Orleans to basically kick all the black people out they could by not fixing their neighborhoods.

Houston on the other hand is the North America operations core for some of the wealthiest companies in the world so they're going to have a big incentive to keep things going.

welp at this point since it's conjecture based on meteor models ima hope you're right.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

farraday posted:

Agreed it's the re-occurrence of flooding. Getting 10 to 25 year floods every year to two years really makes you recalculate where you want your business to be.

Yeah this is why most of the studies done on the economic impact of sea level rise focus more on storm surge/flooding levels than normal sea level at high or low tide. Being technically above sea level isn't much better than being underwater all the time if you're still dealing with catastrophic flooding every few years.

Nobody is happy with buying a house that's only in the ocean 1% of the time.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
How long before people blame Obama for the response to Harvey?

QuoProQuid posted:

kind of a lovely thing to do

Unlike the pigs blood myth, the pee tape is real.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Harvey's death toll is currently five
And in five days entire neighborhoods will look like this

Don't be an rear end.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

Throwing Turtles posted:

So if I wanted to donate, is Global Giving a good place?

I'd wait a bit to donate. It's going to be the coming days where we find out where the real issues are and where donations are really going to be most effective.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Yeah this is bullshit. Half of those "reasons" are loving dogwhistling.

I don't really blame Snopes for taking it at face value, I genuinely don't think they are aware that those are the same excuses white people have always used to segregate communities. But they are.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Push El Burrito posted:

Unlike the pigs blood myth, the pee tape is real.

Obama didn't tell him where the FEMA phone was, its not Trump's fault he couldn't find it in the span of 7 months!

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Hastings posted:

Hmmm.... that's odd, my grocery list says to buy a freezers worth of halo top ice cream.

halo top is pretty good ice cream (note: it's good ice cream that's also pretty low calorie and fairly high in protein), so I recommend it. 👍

the pee tape ice cream is, unfortunately, super fake.

(unlike the real pee tape)

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

JasonV posted:

I'd wait a bit to donate. It's going to be the coming days where we find out where the real issues are and where donations are really going to be most effective.

I already donated some, that picture of the patients in the rest home was depressing as gently caress.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Discussion Quorum posted:

I'm not "downplaying" flood damage. My parents flooded 2 years ago and they're flooding again right now. I just said it wouldn't result in the same massive permanent displacement as Katrina. :fuckoff:

edit: remember I was replying to people saying "THIS IS THE END OF HOUSTON"

But we don't know what type of displacement will occur. Houston's metropolitan area is so much larger population-wise than New Orleans, and sure, they might "only" have to relocate a few miles away to a new home location, but that's still displacement.

Sure, I think it's safe to say that you won't see the same permanent exodus from the overall metropolitan area as we saw after Katrina, but the overall amount of damage and displacement of residents is going to be much larger. :fuckoff2:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

BarbarianElephant posted:

The Red Cross? They help with pretty much every disaster everywhere.

https://www.redcross.org/donate/hurricane-harvey?campname=Harvey&campmedium=aspot
gently caress the Red Cross. It's a family thing for me because my dad and uncles piled sandbags all night to help fight a flood when they were younger, and then when they moved to dry ground to rest and refresh, they were shooed away from a table piled with coffee and food because it was only for the media, leaving them wet cold tired and hungry.

That was 50+ years ago. Theyre no better now.

quote:

In recent years, the Red Cross' fundraising expenses alone have been as high as 26 cents of every donated dollar, nearly three times the nine cents in [total] overhead claimed by McGovern. In the past five years, fundraising expenses have averaged 17 cents per donated dollar.

But even that understates matters. Once donated dollars are in Red Cross hands, the charity spends additional money on "management and general" expenses, which includes things like back office accounting. That means the portion of donated dollars going to overhead is even higher.

Just how high is impossible to know because the Red Cross doesn't break down its spending on overhead and declined ProPublica and NPR's request to do so.  
Thats 20-26% on fundraising alone.

https://www.propublica.org/article/red-cross-ceo-has-been-misleading-about-donations

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 27, 2017

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Prester Jane posted:

The economic value is the infrastructure itself as well as the skilled workers who live in the area. With the infrastructure effectively kaput and the workers unable to live in the area for months the city is going to see a substantial loss in population. This isn't a small enough event where a rapid rebuilding phase can largely mitigate those losses- the equipment needed to rebvuild Houston is going to be needed all over southeast Texas, and said equipment is going to need roads rebuilt before it gets there. In the meantime attempting to feed and support so many people is going to consume the bulk of available resources for at least the next few weeks if not longer.

Here is a creepily complete set of cameras from all around the city: https://traffic.houstontranstar.org/cctv/transtar/by_roadway.aspx?mnu=freeway&rd=SH-6

There is damage, you can see it. But there is no possible way you can click through these cameras and say "the infrastructure is effectively kaput" or that "workers will be unable to live in the area for month". The majority of the cameras and the majority of the city have no flooding at all. It is going to continue to get worse, and people are going to die and houses are going to get destroyed but don't get stuck in hyperbolic nonsense, this isn't going to destroy even a quarter of the city, or probably anything close.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Gnossiennes posted:

halo top is pretty good ice cream (note: it's good ice cream that's also pretty low calorie and fairly high in protein), so I recommend it. 👍

the pee tape ice cream is, unfortunately, super fake.

(unlike the real pee tape)

Been said before, gonna be said again, but the fact we have to actively factcheck this stuff demonstrates just what a loving weird timeline this is.

Edit: goddamnit, I can't stop. It's entirely plausible that a major news network would be defending the President's attacks on an ice cream company (and not some tiny little shop, but a largely distributed one) for making a flavor mocking the possible existence of his being blackmailed by a foreign government with his golden shower hooker tape.

Thaddius the Large fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 27, 2017

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Push El Burrito posted:

Everyone knows this is just #fakenews, I'm sure Fox will have something up soon about how all other news services are lying

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

coyo7e posted:

gently caress the Red Cross. It's a family thing for me because my dad and uncles piled sandbags all night to help fight a flood when they were younger, and then when they moved to dry ground to rest and refresh, they were shooed away from a table piled with coffee and food because it was only for the media, leaving them wet cold tired and hungry.

https://www.propublica.org/article/red-cross-ceo-has-been-misleading-about-donations

The Red Cross and United Way are little more than money launderers for corporate donations these days.

If I'm remember correctly Red Cross is run by a poo poo load of AT&T rejects who have been running it into the ground while milking the gently caress out of it to provide their buddies with high profile jobs.

Koalas March posted:

Yeah this is bullshit. Half of those "reasons" are loving dogwhistling.

I don't really blame Snopes for taking it at face value, I genuinely don't think they are aware that those are the same excuses white people have always used to segregate communities. But they are.

My NYC geography isn't what it used to be but the new location was still in the Upper West side and rich as gently caress. A mile seems like nothing for most people, but moving your kid's school a mile in Manhattan is a huge deal for logistics.

Xae fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 27, 2017

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Here is a creepily complete set of cameras from all around the city: https://traffic.houstontranstar.org/cctv/transtar/by_roadway.aspx?mnu=freeway&rd=SH-6

There is damage, you can see it. But there is no possible way you can click through these cameras and say "the infrastructure is effectively kaput" or that "workers will be unable to live in the area for month". The majority of the cameras and the majority of the city have no flooding at all. It is going to continue to get worse, and people are going to die and houses are going to get destroyed but don't get stuck in hyperbolic nonsense, this isn't going to destroy even a quarter of the city, or probably anything close.

you'd be right if this episode was even close to being over

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Prester Jane posted:

The economic value is the infrastructure itself as well as the skilled workers who live in the area. With the infrastructure effectively kaput and the workers unable to live in the area for months the city is going to see a substantial loss in population. This isn't a small enough event where a rapid rebuilding phase can largely mitigate those losses- the equipment needed to rebuild Houston is going to be needed all over southeast Texas, and said equipment is going to need roads rebuilt before it gets there. In the meantime attempting to feed and support so many people is going to consume the bulk of available resources for at least the next few weeks if not longer.
Also one thing that nobody in this thread is bringing up is the economic situation of the people who were being displaced from New Orleans post-katrina. It had tens of thousands of people who left within one or two weeks because they simply had no income opportunities and no savings and knew that they were completely taking a loss, so they knew that they'd have a better chance trying to move to stay with family or find public housing or shelters in an entirely different location.

Imagine the number of rental properties which will never be repaired, they'll just be insurance claims for landlords who will never rebuild, they'll just pray to sell to a developer.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

coyo7e posted:

:catstare:

All right then! Looks like I'll be looking for someone else to donate to!

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
I don't know what to believe. On the one hand, I don't want to panic over hyperbole. But on the other hand, I don't want to fall into the trap of assuming that just because something bad hasn't happened yet, or hasn't happened in a long time, then that means it won't happen now.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

coyo7e posted:

At this point you might as well just use a loving gofundme, and half of those are going to be scams, too.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Don't get me wrong, if you are in a hurry and you're just want to donate a dollar and feel better go ahead and send it to the Red Cross - because I'm sure $0.50 or more will get to someone who needs it eventually (not being snide, here.)

However I would probably wait around for more local charity suggestions since even if they get too many donations they'll be able to rebuild with that money.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Xae posted:

My NYC geography isn't what it used to be but the new location was still in the Upper West side and rich as gently caress. A mile seems like nothing for most people, but moving your kid's school a mile in Manhattan is a huge deal for logistics.

Maybe it's because I've never been to NY. If it really is that big a deal, then yeah I get it and apologize.

But logistics is genuinely one thing, some of that other poo poo was still suspect as gently caress.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

FourLeaf posted:

I don't know what to believe. On the one hand, I don't want to panic over hyperbole. But on the other hand, I don't want to fall into the trap of assuming that just because something bad hasn't happened yet, or hasn't happened in a long time, then that means it won't happen now.

Why does it matter? The degree you believe it will be bad to only actually makes a difference if you want to argue about theoreticals on the internet.

The main question at this point is whether or not some of the dams fail over the next couple days, Imo.

E: unless you're still in the area and trying to decide if you should evacuate, I guess.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 27, 2017

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I can't really bring myself, not being an expert in meteorology or climate, to say how many deaths there will be or how many homes will be permanently lost at the end of this storm, but I can understand that, at the very least, it is "real loving bad," and the preparedness of the government institutions designed to deal with such disasters has been ill-equipped at best.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Can't lie, I'm kind of enjoying watching owlofcreamcheese play out the climate science denialist tactic of 'nothing terrible has happened as of right now, so clearly we cannot extrapolate based on established trends and everything will be fine!'

In the middle of what the actual experts are acknowledging as a disaster in progress.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
For what it's worth, ProPublica actually has a pretty decent little article on the issues that Houston faces with flooding. Not sure if it's been posted before:

https://projects.propublica.org/graphics/harvey

quote:

Many scientists, experts and federal officials say Houston's explosive growth is largely to blame, along with climate change. As millions have flocked to the metropolitan area in recent decades, local officials have largely rejected stricter building regulations, allowing developers to pave over acres of prairie land that once absorbed large amounts of rainwater. In the decade after Tropical Storm Allison, about 167,000 acres were developed in Harris County, home to Houston. The map below shows that a lot of the new development is in or near floodplains.

Some local officials flat-out disagree with the scientific evidence that shows development has worsened the effects of big storms. Mike Talbott, the former longtime head of the local flood control agency, told the Texas Tribune and ProPublica last year that large-scale public works projects — like drainage basins — are reversing all the effects of Houston’s recent growth. (His successor shares that view). “You need to find some better experts,” Talbott said. When asked for names, he would only say, “starting here, with me.”

Basically, Houston is in a bad place for a big, sprawling suburban city and Houston's planners don't want to come to terms with that fact.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The red cross seemed to be marginally better in 2016, but they still only get 2 out of 4 stars for financial efficiency.

https://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=3277

The united way is harder to nail down because they are splintered into seemingly hundreds of entities, with each state having 2 or 3 united ways. My local chapter (united way of central iowa) seems to be doing OK at 3 stars, but I'm sure other united ways are poo poo.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

skylined! posted:

you'd be right if this episode was even close to being over

I don't know man, it's possible for something to be bad without being the worst disaster in human history or the end of huston or huston is going to cease to exist. Hundreds of people are going to die and if it gets bad that might a thousand people. But people talking about this being the end of the city or the city having no infrastructure left standing or something are being absolutely absurd.

Huston is mostly 50-80 feet above sea level, new orleans was 1 to 2 feet BELOW sealevel with a dam that kept the water out and the dam failed. The two are not comparable events. They can be both bad, but I think people are confusing "more cameras on the damage" with "more damage".

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
Speaking from my experiences with homelessness the Salvation Army will never get one cent or one hour of donated time from me. 100 years ago George Orwell was homeless and spent some time in a Salvation Army shelter, which he considered to be lovely and authoritarian by the standards of the time. (1920's England.) My experiences with the Salvation Army while homeless have lead me to conclude that fuckall has changed in that organization the 90 years hence.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I lived in Houston for 30 years but even a glance at photos of areas I am familiar with has me like "that's quite a bit more water than I've ever seen through the peak of all the other hurricanes I've been there for". And it's not over yet.

Also a bunch of the buildings are liable to cause health problems for a while due to mold and such.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
My twin brother, my sister and her husband and two kids and my aunt all live in Houston and all of their homes are still high and dry. Feeling pretty lucky right now.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I don't know man, it's possible for something to be bad without being the worst disaster in human history or the end of huston or huston is going to cease to exist. Hundreds of people are going to die and if it gets bad that might a thousand people. But people talking about this being the end of the city or the city having no infrastructure left standing or something are being absolutely absurd.

Huston is mostly 50-80 feet above sea level, new orleans was 1 to 2 feet BELOW sealevel with a dam that kept the water out and the dam failed. The two are not comparable events. They can be both bad, but I think people are confusing "more cameras on the damage" with "more damage".

How can you be so confident that assessment is "absurd", internet forums poster "owlofcreamcheese"?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

N. Senada posted:

What is this from?

It's a quote from an episode of Chapo, apparently.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

coyo7e posted:

Don't get me wrong, if you are in a hurry and you're just want to donate a dollar and feel better go ahead and send it to the Red Cross - because I'm sure $0.50 or more will get to someone who needs it eventually (not being snide, here.)

However I would probably wait around for more local charity suggestions since even if they get too many donations they'll be able to rebuild with that money.

As of right now, I'm basically waiting, yeah. I'll help my friends out directly however I can - if they need or want it - and hoping for tips for some local charities that can use some extra cash to rebuild.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
The thing that amazes me about the Red Cross and how much money it spends on fundraising, is that I've lived my entire life hearing their name constantly in all forms of media but I honestly can't recall having ever seen an advertisement

They get priceless AND free advertising every time there is any kind of serious disaster or even a moderate one, when they're bored and have nothing to do.. I mean their name and symbol are the international sign of aid..!

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Liquid Communism posted:

Can't lie, I'm kind of enjoying watching owlofcreamcheese play out the climate science denialist tactic of 'nothing terrible has happened as of right now, so clearly we cannot extrapolate based on established trends and everything will be fine!'

No, I'm saying hurricanes are always bad and people have died and lost their home in every hurricane and dumb dumbs in this thread get to watch this one on periscope and twitter so they think this is bigger than all the other ones that have happened in their life instead of those having all the same bad things happen quietly where they can't see.

This is going to end the lives of many people, as did andrew and sandy and ike and whatever but because people get to watch this live they are treating it like some new biggest deal ever and ignoring that the other things happened too, just not on twitter so they were easier to ignore.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Other reasons why the Red Cross is poo poo, they threaten law suits for anyone using a red cross in any sort of design.

Copyright/trademark/whatever law is bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I haven't argued that Houston is going to cease to exist, only that this event will leave it only able to support a fraction of its current population. This effectively is the end of Houston in its current form- it will go on of course but it will be a dramatically changed place with substantially fewer people living in it six months from now. I don;t think you appreciate just how much infrastructure is being damaged and just how difficult/expensive it will be to effect repairs on said infrastructure. I also do not think you quite appreciate just what sort of a logistical nightmare is going to begin to emerge over the next 3 days across all of south east Texas as people start to run out of first water, and then food.

• Locked thread