Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Go play on it while you have a chance! Go Go Go!

The McDonald playset ones were always a little unsettling to me.

Also, my school was kind of poor, so.. one day they just dropped off about 50 old tires for us to play with.

Edit: Let's add content for the top of a page.

PicklePants has a new favorite as of 18:55 on Aug 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's a tourist trap place called Caribbean Gardens here in Victoria with rides and a big flea market that has a trio of old Main Battle Tanks for kids to climb on. At least, they had them in the early 00's the last time I went.

Park near where I grew up also had a tank you could climb on and also get in the hatch although it was filled in so you could only get far enough to just stand in it

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

I remember a scarily-tall, rusty rocket-ship climbing frame as well. It was okay if you fell off, as there was asphalt strewn with gravel and broken bottles to break your fall.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

New Boards of Canada album lookin good

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's a tourist trap place called Caribbean Gardens here in Victoria with rides and a big flea market that has a trio of old Main Battle Tanks for kids to climb on. At least, they had them in the early 00's the last time I went.

According to this video they still had two tanks as of last August

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is the best derail I ever started. :3:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Who the hell installs a set of children's slides and then goes "Hmmm, something's missing ... I know, let's put a huge pile of rocks right next to this play equipment!"
:psyduck:

Better idea: the rock IS the play equipment

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

In Florida our jungle gyms were all like 20 feet tall, cemented into the ground, and surrounded by mulch (if you were lucky) or just right into the blacktop. Climbing on them in the summer was like trying to climb lava and if you fell off the top you would plunk your way down all the other rails until you landed onto the even more hot blacktop. When I moved up to Illinois they had real grass (grass in Florida is basically little green steak knives full of army ants) so falling off of the jungle gym up north was like landing on on a big cushy mattress.

Nowadays they have that spongy stuff and everything is made of safe plastic. It's pathetic. How is a kid supposed to break their leg and realize that grip strength is something to take seriously?

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

I was a little kid in the mid 60s in Dayton, OH, and Island Park offered not only the typical potentially deadly playground equipment, but also an old retired fire truck, and (due to the proximity to Wright-Patterson AFB), a loving F-86. To this day, I've never forgotten playing around in the bubble-less cockpit of that plane. Kids need cool poo poo to gently caress around with.

At at park near my step-dad's childhood home, they have a real train engine in the playground. Thing was freaking huge. Around the mid-90s they took it out and put up a train silhouette with holes and handles I guess to climb like a wall. It was incredibly lame.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Solice Kirsk posted:

Nowadays they have that spongy stuff and everything is made of safe plastic. It's pathetic. How is a kid supposed to break their leg and realize that grip strength is something to take seriously?

Bigger kids, generally.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Solice Kirsk posted:

In Florida our jungle gyms were all like 20 feet tall, cemented into the ground, and surrounded by mulch (if you were lucky) or just right into the blacktop. Climbing on them in the summer was like trying to climb lava and if you fell off the top you would plunk your way down all the other rails until you landed onto the even more hot blacktop. When I moved up to Illinois they had real grass (grass in Florida is basically little green steak knives full of army ants) so falling off of the jungle gym up north was like landing on on a big cushy mattress.

do you really even have run if you don't bleed at least once at the playground?

Also, the hot rear end blacktop in summer is real, especially since I went barefoot a lot as a kid.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

In Florida our jungle gyms were all like 20 feet tall, cemented into the ground, and surrounded by mulch (if you were lucky) or just right into the blacktop.

Parents built our local playground in my neighborhood. They got four old telephone poles, cemented them into the ground and put a wooden platform on top. The most dad playground ever.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

PicklePants posted:

The McDonald playset ones were always a little unsettling to me.

Also, my school was kind of poor, so.. one day they just dropped off about 50 old tires for us to play with.

Edit: Let's add content for the top of a page.

Oh god my childhood McDonald's had one of these and a giant purple Grimace on springs where you climbed inside him and rocked it around. What the gently caress was Grimace supposed to be in McDonaldland??? :psyduck:

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ok so that last one is ostensibly a dragonfly. What happened to the others? "Art?"

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Cartoon Man posted:

Oh god my childhood McDonald's had one of these and a giant purple Grimace on springs where you climbed inside him and rocked it around. What the gently caress was Grimace supposed to be in McDonaldland??? :psyduck:

I remember him, and the fry kids spring horse things. I looked up pics of those.old McDonald's playgrounds and holy poo poo was some that poo poo creepy...

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I remember him, and the fry kids spring horse things. I looked up pics of those.old McDonald's playgrounds and holy poo poo was some that poo poo creepy...

Hamburglar died on the cross for your sins. That's why the Filet O' Fish is on sale on Fridays.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I was born in 81, so I saw a good number of injuries in playgrounds. Broken noses, severed finger, giant splinters. I got knocked unconscious on two occasions from being thrown by those old merry-go-rounds.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Cartoon Man posted:

What the gently caress was Grimace supposed to be in McDonaldland??? :psyduck:

Grimace's thing is shakes. What he's actually supposed to be, I'm not sure.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

John Murdoch posted:

I always thought he was a gum drop.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

John Murdoch posted:

i too grimace when i get the shakes :sludgepal:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I drove past my old elementary school about six or seven years ago and guys... It wasn't just the playground that was gone, they had torn the whole thing down.. like... 20 years earlier

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

PicklePants posted:

This is the one I remember growing up in the UK, with the old wives' tale of some kid getting too close to the swinging / rocking action and getting their knee smashed to pieces.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Randaconda posted:

do you really even have run if you don't bleed at least once at the playground?

Also, the hot rear end blacktop in summer is real, especially since I went barefoot a lot as a kid.

Well you were either bleeding, had first degree burns or a concussion and splinters throughout your body from the mulch.

The parks in South Florida are nothing like they used to be. The one near me growing up also had a pseudo-zipline that you could get a good running start on and it would fly down about 8 feet before stopping so abruptly that you'd go flying an additional 4 feet.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Picnic Princess posted:

I was born in 81, so I saw a good number of injuries in playgrounds. Broken noses, severed finger, giant splinters. I got knocked unconscious on two occasions from being thrown by those old merry-go-rounds.

faster faster we need another master

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Picnic Princess posted:

:same: (born in '81, anyway) Good times, getting little rust particles in my eyes from being in one of those rocketships; better than getting sliced open on a shard of the jagged metal, though. While I managed to avoid that, I did cracked my head open on a concrete tunnel, and I also managed to fall face first on a "slide" that was comprised of rolling steel bars.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Picnic Princess posted:

My favorite was being shoved by kids into a giant tire* My big win besides screaming for my life was probably killing a couple mosquitoes.

PCOS Bill posted:

I drove past my old elementary school about six or seven years ago and guys... It wasn't just the playground that was gone, they had torn the whole thing down.. like... 20 years earlier

:same:

wish someone discretely and safely destroyed the two high schools I went to that produced spree killers

*I am fairly certain I deserved it I was a playground rear end in a top hat

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

Taste bud.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
I was born in 76 but I never did any worse than skinning my knee on the wooden climbing structure or bashing by shin on Human Centipede/Blowjob statue

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

born:
30s-40s: bombed by Nazis
50s-70s: bummed by priests
80s: playground injuries
90s: bored to death
00s: outraged to death
10s: run over by Nazis

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Slenderman origin story worse than expected.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
The playground equipment at my elementary school was dinosaurs; pterodactyl swingsets, climable stegosaurus, brontosaurus with slides and a pole to climb to his head.

My school closed about ten years after I left and someone bought it and uses it as their house now. They kept the playground equipment.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Leavemywife posted:

The playground equipment at my elementary school was dinosaurs; pterodactyl swingsets, climable stegosaurus, brontosaurus with slides and a pole to climb to his head.

My school closed about ten years after I left and someone bought it and uses it as their house now. They kept the playground equipment.

I want to marry that someone.

nerd plus rage
May 12, 2014

It's a metaphor for something, probably
I broke a tooth falling from a playset in elementary school. It never got fixed so still have a big chunk missing from my right canine that hurts like hell when I drink cold liquids. I was the coolest kid with my broken tooth for a while.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

RFC2324 posted:

I want to marry that someone.

I'd love to just see what the guy did with it. From what I heard, he got the place for a song and dance, and I'm insanely curious to know how you refit an elementary school to be a house.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Leavemywife posted:

I'd love to just see what the guy did with it. From what I heard, he got the place for a song and dance, and I'm insanely curious to know how you refit an elementary school to be a house.

Should be easy, so long as there isn't much asbestos to remediate.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Picnic Princess posted:

I read this as "Broken noses, severed finger, giant spiders" and thought "wow, that's a pretty metal playground".

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
If you think about it, Splinter was already kind of giant

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

PCOS Bill posted:

They burned down my old school. Didn't take the first time, so someone else had a go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Drove by my old elementary school today. Some of the old seesaws are still there, but that's about it.

The back playground had a big cement shark. Its mouth was open and really small kids could sit in the mouth. At one point, the shark was hollow, but they filled it in after a kid got stuck in it. We also had tires to jump on and drag all over the playground, but on occasion they'd tell us to stay away because there was water in the tires and that attracted mosquitoes.

In fourth or fifth grade, the big thing for the boys to do was swing as high as they could, then jump out. We were told not to do that anymore because a kid broke his arm or leg, but I think they were lying to us. Probably more amazing that no one was seriously maimed.

This wasn't at school, but I played on one of these somewhere.