Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

N: Jeff Gordon and Tony Stewart, my two favorite drivers of all-time, both ran 22 Cup races I attended in person. 21 featured both drivers; the 1998 Coke 600 was Gordon-only, while the 2016 Coke Zero 400 was Smoke-only.

Gordon: 2 wins, 5 Top 5s, 10 Top 10s, Avg 16.3
Smoke: 5 wins, 10 Top 5s, 11 Top 10s, Avg 13.9

V: I am bored as gently caress at work and was inspired by this article: http://racereviewonline.com/2017/08/how-does-dale-earnhardt-jr-s-final-season-line-up-statistically-with-other-past-greats/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
Jimmie Johnson has just 3 top 5's this season! Jr isn't doing so bad!

I'm sure those 3 top 5's were just 5th place finishes, too...

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
whoa

http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2017/08/23/halmar-friesen-racing-truck-team-splits-with-tommy-baldwin-jr-forms-alliance-with-gms-racing/

SRA better take care of my boy

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

kidcoelacanth posted:

That loving rules, you dips

I don't think anyone is disputing this.

BMB5150 posted:

I thought this was a joke iRacing paint scheme. I'm wrong and I'm happy for it.

I swear I thought I had clicked my iRacing thread bookmark instead.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

https://twitter.com/roushfenway/status/900426592723382278

https://twitter.com/RPMReport/status/900522230408294405

https://twitter.com/JTGRacing/status/900417435513311232

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I fuckin love that Buscher scheme

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Green and white car with 33 on the side, you’re telling me it’s for Lowe’s Food? Sure.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
way to ruin the 17, morans

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

VikingSkull posted:

way to ruin the 17, morans

Hell no, that 17 owns bones. And on the 25th anniversary of DW's last win, where he kept Davey Allison from the Winston Million.

I'm with wicka on the 33. Mike Bliss already ran the Skoal Bandit two years ago, but would have loved to see it again.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Isn't that the same scheme the 33 runs every week already?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Yeah the shade of green isn't even the same. A shameful attempt.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Road America is Schwieger-free this weekend.

Dave Burns, Dale Jarrett, Ralph Sheheen,, Kelli Stavast.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

That was a loving finish :stare:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Fuckin good-rear end race

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cup really needs to do RA

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
I only have one NASCAR hat

it has a big 51 on it

:getin:

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

BMB5150 posted:

That was a loving finish :stare:

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

kidcoelacanth posted:

Fuckin good-rear end race

:agreed:

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

iospace posted:

Cup really needs to do RA

Only if they introduced local yellows, although it seemed like they did a good job at not jumping the gun at bringing out a caution today.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Race winner Jeremy Clemets.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I had to watch the finish on a slight delay and knew something was up when the Discord notifications were almost constant.

That race was 10/10 would watch again, Gooder Than Hell, with Mosport and all its wonderful last lap chaos just over the horizon. :getin:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

https://twitter.com/TheWilderThings/status/902536631562981376

This is good as hell

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I don't think it costs $40 million to run a car for the season.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

gret posted:

It can when the governing body is basically like "hey these people are paying us to make you use this new poo poo so you must use it or you cannot race" all the time

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The thing is 40m is F1 money, at least on the low end. I know the top spending Indy team spent in 2013 only spent 15m (likely Penske). It does seem stupid high, unless you're shelling out 40m to retain Dale Jr.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

gret posted:

How much does it cost?

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
All of a sudden I hear a voice in my ear scream, “ARE YOU PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN?”

I whip around to find a guy wearing a DRUNK LIVES MATTER T-shirt bending down so that his face is level with mine, about three inches away. He’s holding a big black flag that has both the NASCAR and Monster Energy logos splashed across it. I recoil and don’t say anything.

He responds to my silence with, “You should be.” Then he drapes the flag around my shoulders and puts his hand on my back.

“Stop it; what are you doing?” I say, swatting the flag and his hand away and jumping back so quickly that I almost fall over onto three shirtless, middle-aged men in front of me. Flag Guy stares directly into my eyes. He shakes the NASCAR logo in my face.

“You just got baptized by the greatest thing this country has,” he says.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

NASCAR 2017 - You just got baptized by the greatest (worst) thing this country has

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

quote:

I made it in time for Chase Elliott’s press conference this morning, but I shouldn’t have bothered racing to get there. The 21-year-old son of NASCAR legend Bill Elliott (aka Awesome Bill from Dawsonville) just offered platitudes about trying hard — he’s been running well this season but he hasn’t won a race yet. The most interesting thing he said was that he wants to watch the upcoming solar eclipse from an airplane.

I passed Chase in the pits a few minutes ago and asked him if I could ask him a few questions. He told me I have to go through his PR guy or he’ll get in trouble. He's a smart kid who knows better than to offend anyone — an easy thing to do in the age of the internet — and put his sponsorships or public perception at risk. He keeps it vanilla.

One of the future superstars of this sport is boring as gently caress and the way things are in NASCAR isn't helping him not be boring as gently caress.

quote:

Cars and money matter more than talent now. You can be the most gifted driver in the world, and it doesn't matter if you don’t have the cash.

...“But yeah, I could send one tweet and ruin my entire career,” he jokes, tapping his phone, which sits on the table in front of us. I tell him I could too, and we both laugh, fall silent, then shudder before continuing our conversation.

2010sNASCAR.txt

quote:

In a sport where viewers’ loyalty centers on individual drivers, a guy like DiBenedetto, or Darrell “Bubba” Wallace Jr. (who wasn’t racing at Bristol because he currently doesn’t have a sponsor), or Ryan Blaney, or Landon Cassill, could be instrumental to bringing in new, younger fans — if they could win. Most of the other personalities just aren’t that interesting.

2010sNASCAR.txt

quote:

In 2007, owner Bruton Smith resurfaced and modified the track to create more space and allow drivers to race side by side with plenty of room to pass.

No, silly writer! Bruton's rogue engin-eer did that! Upstanding NASCAR Hall of Famer Bruton Smith wouldn't do THAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!

quote:

For a few moments, as they battle it out, the race is thrilling. I get a taste of what the sport used to be, and I’m struck by a sense of loss. I miss something I never knew.

Way to attract fans, NASCAR. Excite the new fan, then make them realize what they missed and have them reach for the Celexa.

quote:

another article stealthily pushing a liberal agenda under the guise of experiential journalism

SB Nation should be ashamed that they continue to enable your insidious work.
Posted by Proud Defender of Academic Integrity on Aug 29, 2017 | 11:28 AM

Hey, there's Brian France's account!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

CBJSprague24 posted:

2010sNASCAR.txt

To be fair, money is tight around all forms of racing ever since tobacco (got) pulled out. Pay drivers are likely going to be the order of the day across all series unless you're really something special. That's on top of racing being an expensive sport to start with anyway.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
this is just the down time before marijuana edibles step in

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

daslog posted:

How much does it cost?

Top teams look for ~$20m.

Also Chase is changing numbers to the 9 and Byron is taking the 24.

https://twitter.com/TeamHendrick/status/902675679094771712

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

Mods change my name to proud defender of academic integrity

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Cygni posted:

:rip: The #5 car.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Cygni posted:

But the 24 is going to be the 5 team and the 9 is going to be the 24 team so it's kinda messing with the legacy.

I think I remember Rick Hendrick around the time where it was rumored Smoke might go there saying the 5 was a special number to him and he really didn't want to give it up since he'd already switched 25 for 88. (Is it bad I'm slightly more likely to pull for the 24 again now?)

Is this legacy going to be like Marco Andretti where they keep changing the number and he still doesn't win?

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 30, 2017

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/bobpockrass/status/902880427828011010

Welp.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Had a feeling when the Leavine Racing rumor with Kahne and Hendrick assistance popped up this week that GMS was off the table.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

They made the decision after NASCAR asked about them for ideas for their cup merchandise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

When I get back on my computer that's going in the OP (unless Kid C does it first)

• Locked thread