Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013

Billzasilver posted:

Which novel translation would people here recommend? I've been meaning to read them since DW2.

Moss Roberts translation is pretty much the only one worth reading. There are lots of cheap copies of the books around, but the translation in those might be done with Google Translate.

If you rather listen to a podcast, there is a fantastic podcast made by John Zhu. He has a website at 3kingdomspodcast.com.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Max Wilco posted:

Sounds interesting, and it looks like it's on PS4 too.

(Un)Luckily enough, I do have a Wii U, so Hyrule Warriors is an option for me. I think the positive reaction to that game was what initially piqued my interest in trying a Musou game. The only thing that puts me off from buying Hyrule Warriors, though, is that new copies are still in the $60 range, despite it being out for about three years at this point.

That's the combination of Nintendo IP and a *Warriors game for ya. Nintendo games and *Warriors titles rarely go on sale unless they're digital.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
https://twitter.com/KoeiTecmoUS/status/901881755380072448

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Surprising absolutely no one.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Billzasilver posted:

Which novel translation would people here recommend? I've been meaning to read them since DW2.

I've actually started reading this apparently-newer translation by Ronald Iverson and Yu Sumei and it seems to be well done. I spent the summer reading a not-so-fantastic translation of the Icelandic sagas, and after that these things read like they're native english. Maybe that's bad? I don't know. There are samples there to see if it's something you like too, and my thought was hey, at least they seem to use the same name transliterations as the games, which makes it easier for me to follow. It is spread across three books, if that's a problem or not for you.

EDIT: Someone points out on a RotTK forum that there are fewer footnotes. That might be a Thing. But they seem to appreciate that there was a native Chinese speaker working on the translation too. Comparing the two, I suspect it's more literal.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 27, 2017

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
What is it that everyone saw in Zhao Yun again that makes him so ultra popular?

(Jiang Wei should be dead last on that poll imo)

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Lunethex posted:

What is it that everyone saw in Zhao Yun again that makes him so ultra popular?

(Jiang Wei should be dead last on that poll imo)
Basically just that he followed Romance-glorified Liu Bei from the start and wasn't a monster historically like Zhang Fei or Guan Yu, so they were able to project all kinds of falsified heroics onto him. From there, Koei made him the poster child and very handsome.

The top five is a travesty, and Fa Zheng especially doesn't deserve to be sixth from the bottom. At least Pang Tong squeaked it into the top ten, love that weirdo mothman.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

pretty boy who's playable in what feels like 2/3s of Shu's story.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Also Shu has a pretty poo poo roster. Looking at that gallery I thought "wow, there is not a single one that I actually like." Might as well go for Sanada Zhao Yun.

Although I will admit that Pang Tong has grown on me since watching the Three Kingdoms series.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Who is Xu Shu? I have no recollection of him in DW8 somehow.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I'm surprised Yue Ying didn't end up in the bottom half, but not displeased. Also how bad do you have to be to lose to Liu Shan lmao

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
What kind of monster hates ying ping

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

lurksion posted:

Who is Xu Shu? I have no recollection of him in DW8 somehow.
That's because there's not really much to him. He joins Shu for a few battles, all while saying how much better a strategist Zhuge Liang is, and then is captured and conscripted by Wei until he dies at Chi Bi. The most action he sees is in the two factions' hypothetical routes where he lives to the end and remains loyal to whichever faction's story you're in.

RentACop posted:

I'm surprised Yue Ying didn't end up in the bottom half, but not displeased. Also how bad do you have to be to lose to Liu Shan lmao
Guan Suo really is that bad. At least the games make Liu Shan lightly endearing in a "he's trying" kind of way. Guan Suo just praises his dead rear end in a top hat dad.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Urdnot Fire posted:

Guan Suo really is that bad. At least the games make Liu Shan lightly endearing in a "he's trying" kind of way. Guan Suo just praises his dead rear end in a top hat dad.

I remember being amused at... what was it, 7? I think 7's interpretation from jin characters that Liu Shan actually is fully aware what's going on, he just doesn't give a gently caress because he doesn't feel like throwing his and everyone else's life away for old grudges. So he plays dumb and faffs about while everyone is MUST AVENGE ZHUGE LIANG GRRR

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I think Shu as presented by Dynasty Warriors the past couple of games is kinda fascinating. Divorcing actual history (gently caress Zhang Fei), Shu is basically a group of generic anime (for lack of a better discriptor) protagonists that fail horribly and utterly.

Compared to Wu and Wei, Shu actually appeared to give a poo poo about the actual people being caught up in the war, rather than ideals of family and order, respectively. And Liu Bei was such an honorable man (Again, divorcing history as much as one can do. Again, gently caress ZHANG FEI) that his allies literally went behind his back to launch the attack that would establish his kingdom.

However, when Liu Bei was tested with Wu's betrayal and the death of his brothers, like with Cao Cao and the death of his sons Dian Wei and the ridiculous conga line of tragedy that is Sun Quan's life, he broke. Utterly, and completely. And threw away all his ideals and compassion to launch an insane war as vengeance against the Wu and hosed things up so utterly that THE BESTEST MOST SMARTEST GREATEST GUY IN THE WORLD Zhuge Lliang is scrambling to minimize the damage. That stage in 7 was actually my favorite. Not so much in 8; being actually able to win the battle is just missing the point.

From there the kingdom never recovered, between a king that was even less competent than Liu Bei and a strategist that was so dedicated to defeating Wei to the point where he is kind of a crazed terrorist.

EDIT: TL;DR Shu in DW is an entire kingdom of gently caress ups and that is the most interesting thing about them.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 28, 2017

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Davincie posted:

but also don't buy and play too many musou games in a row

you're not my real mom! i'm gonna play them all and play them all in order for scientific purposes and i'm gonna like it, drat it!

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/KoeiTecmoUS/status/902243133953515520

Welp, rags-to-badass commander Ding Feng came in dead last and lifelong rear end in a top hat/noted child-murderer Gan Ning came in second because Koei made him a pretty boy.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I'm assuming Zhou Tai is #1 because he has hanzo steel, right?

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Urdnot Fire posted:

Welp, rags-to-badass commander Ding Feng came in dead last and lifelong rear end in a top hat/noted child-murderer Gan Ning came in second because Koei made him a pretty boy.
Noted child-murderer with a great Musou attack and bells on, you mean

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I thought for sure Zhou Yu would win, so this is a pleasant surprise (even though he was my pre zhou tai fave)

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Urdnot Fire posted:

Look, man, Liu Bei literally spiked his firstborn son, you can't go bringing actual history into this stuff.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Oof. Main character of the faction only showing up in the bottom row? That's rough.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Did KT USA do a Jin poll? Really curious to find out who's where with a roster of characters who's only been around for a game or two.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Policenaut posted:

Did KT USA do a Jin poll? Really curious to find out who's where with a roster of characters who's only been around for a game or two.

#1 Wang Yuanji

#2 people who are not Wuang Yuanji

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Same

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Well yeah I just naturally assumed Yuanji is number 1 but I'd like to know the rest.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Lu Su is #1 in my heart.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i like the police baton dude

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Urdnot Fire posted:

Sanguozhi posted:

Gan Ning would kill for pleasure, and he gave outlaws refuge and lodging in his offices. Whenever he went in or out, if he was on land there were horsemen and chariots drawn up in array, and if he travelled by water there were lines of small craft, all with followers in embroidered clothing. Wherever he halted he used a silken rope to moor the boat, and when he moved on again he cut the rope and left it, to show how little he cared.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
I'm not surprised Sun Quan is so low, given he's boring as gently caress in the games. Shame, too, as he was interesting guy historically. Sun Quan was an alcoholic who was also quite possibly insane, with noted deeds such as "stripping Zhou Tai naked in front of the entire court", "setting fire to Zhang Zhao's house" and "sending two generals out with a fleet to find two mythical islands of yore, and get enraged and execute them when they did, in fact, fail to find the Ancient Chinese equivalent of Atlantis".

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
how accurate was the "the romance of the three kingdoms" chinese tv show?

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

Sefal posted:

how accurate was the "the romance of the three kingdoms" chinese tv show?

Which one? There have been several.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Brony Hunter posted:

Which one? There have been several.

This one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ewJ_IO1RSU
I still really like the opening

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
They're all generally quite accurate to the Sanguo Yanyi, the eponymous literary Romance of the Three Kingdoms. But the Romance was written a thousand years after the event, explicitly as a work of propaganda in a future north/south divide of China, based primarily off of folk legend, and directly contradicting surviving primary sources. Also, the Taoist magic thing.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

It's a pretty good adaptation of the novel, takes a lot of liberties as many adaptations do. It's quite entertaining with one of the best depictions of Cao Cao I've seen in media. Liu Bei 'n' pals are mostly white bread, though, sadly. A lot of Wu stuff is glossed over as well, even more than the novel does.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

And yeah the Romance is explicitly a novel and work of fiction, it's beautifully written and a wonderful story, but should not be considered historically accurate at all. In many ways, the history is actually more interesting and fascinating than the fiction

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
there's probably something interesting you can say about the differences in cao cao's portrayal in the 1994 and 2011 TV adaptations vis a vis the rapid change in modern chinese society between those years, but i'm not even remotely qualified to make that commentary

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

The way I've heard it described which sticks with me, is that Romance of the Three Kingdoms is the greatest piece of fan fiction ever written.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

The Doomhammer posted:

Lu Su is #1 in my heart.

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Blooming Brilliant posted:

The way I've heard it described which sticks with me, is that Romance of the Three Kingdoms is the greatest piece of fan fiction ever written.

nah romance of the three kingdoms is historical fiction. dante, however, is a tremendous piece of fanfic