Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Yaws posted:

If someone states they like the prequels they almost certainly grew up with them. It's the only thing that makes sense.

I can personally attest that this is not the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I like all the star wars, except the romance in attack of the clones. I think it's what the kids today call 'cringy'.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I grew up with them and liked them. My brother did too, but then he jumped on the "actually they're bad" bandwagon. My dad saw them all as they came out from 1977 on, and he likes the prequels. But he and I are pretty easy to please, as far as movies go.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I liked Episode 1 a lot as a kid. Episodes 2 and 3 did not excite me because I was a cynical teen and enthusiasm was uncool, but I came out of the theaters thinking I had seen something I enjoyed. As time passed, I came to accept the conventional wisdom of the prequels' badness, though never to the hyperbolic extent of some others. I could not really explain what was bad about them, but, of course, I never had to, since everywhere I went it was taken for granted. Then I came back and watched them critically, and found that they were interesting and had things in them worth defending, and eventually this led to the discovery that they had actually been good all along.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I was 13 when TPM came out and I liked it at the time. It's not a good movie though. I was 16 when Clones came out and I was over Star Wars by then. I'm still over it but Rogue One and r/prequelmemes have their moments.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I love episodes 2 and 3 and I'm almost 40 so.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I saw the first two prequels in theater, and while I liked the first and didn't think the second one was bad so-to-speak, it left me very uncomfortable. Anakin was so uncool. I never really disliked the films, but I felt no reason to see the third and I kind of absentmindedly accepted the popular wisdom online that the films were bad.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Yaws posted:

Umok is really awkward around women, surprising no one.

This is exactly what I meant. I was a creepy goony gently caress. But, like Anakin, I some how still attracted women and got in relationships that ended horribly.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I saw ep 3 in the theater like 8-10 times . I was ... 28?

Idk I love Star Wars :shrug:

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Yaws posted:

If someone states they like the prequels they almost certainly grew up with them. It's the only thing that makes sense.

I've seen every Star Wars movie in the theater in its first run. I saw RotJ when I was 14 and I still think it's the shittiest SW movie. Also, I think RotS is no worse than the third best.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I've seen every Star Wars movie in the theater in its first run. I saw RotJ when I was 14 and I still think it's the shittiest SW movie. Also, I think RotS is no worse than the third best.

So you must be like 80 years old? Do you think your dementia is the reason you like the prequels?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I am heartened by how many people realize that ROTJ is balls, but by far the best part of it is Palpatine.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I am heartened by how many people realize that ROTJ is balls, but by far the best part of it is Palpatine.

The throne room stuff is the good part of RotJ, pretty indisputable.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

starkebn posted:

The throne room stuff is the good part of RotJ, pretty indisputable.

Absolutely. I do like the Ewoks, Boba going out like a bitch, Leia rescuing herself, etc but the throne room stuff is on a different level than the rest of the film. Lando, for example, is just along for the ride and has nothing to do in the film.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

When Return of the Jedi is on, it's very on. But it doesn't cohere. These plot threads do not form a sweater.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Bongo Bill posted:

When Return of the Jedi is on, it's very on. But it doesn't cohere. These plot threads do not form a sweater.

It makes a sweater. It's just a very itchy sweater.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I actually really like the Ewoks beating the poo poo out of the idiot Stormtroopers, a lot of the space battle is cool, the do some pretty incredible stuff with the camera for 83. The Throne Room is generally great(although Darth Vader turning into a bitch between movies kind of sucks).

But the movie looks like crap a lot of the time, Jabba's palace sort of sucks, and talk about Lando having nothing to do--Han has nothing to do. He just makes lame jokes the whole movie. His big character beat is realizing he doesn't have to cuck Luke. Harrison was right, he should have died.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

porfiria posted:

But the movie looks like crap a lot of the time, Jabba's palace sort of sucks, and talk about Lando having nothing to do--Han has nothing to do. He just makes lame jokes the whole movie. His big character beat is realizing he doesn't have to cuck Luke. Harrison was right, he should have died.

Yeah absolutely. Han has gently caress all going on in ROTJ, Luke and Leia should've left him as a trophy.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Yaws posted:

So you must be like 80 years old? Do you think your dementia is the reason you like the prequels?

Not quite there yet. Some pretty rudimentary math would have led you to my age. But yes, I'm old.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Bongo Bill posted:

Your first sentence is why I can't ever say RotJ is the worst Star Wars movie. Parts of the movie are the best the franchise has to offer, even if the rest of it is subpar. Once the Rebels enter the shield generator I'd be hard pressed to suggest improvements to the rest of the movie, especially the space battle and throne room, with the exception of the lightsaber choreography.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It can be both good and the worst, if necessary.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

If I ever made a movie I'd be thrilled to death if it were as good as the worst Star Wars movie.

Sometimes I feel like, even though it was such a milestone and set the stage for them all, and is great, the original is the worst one.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

On this day I feel that The Force Awakens is worst. But it is impossible to evaluate them out of context, and the context will change.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I think the first Star Wars was the best, it tells the best story all in its running time.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I read the first few pages of the current Star Wars spoiler thread which was half a year before TFA was released. Everybody assumes Finn is the force sensitive jedi character and not Rey. Which strikes me as sexist as hecko.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
the posters had him holding a lit lightsaber while rey had a stick

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, they tried really hard to hide the fact they Rey ever got her hands on the lightsaber. To the point of Disney filing claims against people who posted photos of Rey-with-Lightsaber action figures that got sold early.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah I don't believe that's 100% of it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Lampsacus posted:

I read the first few pages of the current Star Wars spoiler thread which was half a year before TFA was released. Everybody assumes Finn is the force sensitive jedi character and not Rey. Which strikes me as sexist as hecko.

If it had been the other way around would you be claiming racism?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Count Dooku's first name was Barron, obviously

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Lampsacus posted:

He is literally shown holding a lightsaber in multiple scenes that made it into trailers. It was a deliberate misdirection on the part of the film-makers. Were some people making the sexist assumption that it couldn't be Rey? Of course. But "sexist as hecko" that a large part of fans fell for the marketing? I'm not so sure.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'm still mad Finn got chumped tbh

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Well, he is a stormtrooper.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Fin is black as hecko.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Not quite there yet. Some pretty rudimentary math would have led you to my age. But yes, I'm old.

It's cool man. The alternative is being dead :)

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Detective No. 27 posted:

It makes a sweater. It's just a very itchy sweater.

A christmas sweater, even.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I'm still mad Finn got chumped tbh
He was very much a blaster guy though

Never put much thought into melee, yet he still got a hit on Kylo, who then beat the poo poo out of him

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

FuturePastNow posted:

Count Dooku's first name was Barron, obviously

Given Lucas' influences this would have been great. Flash Gordon had Barin. Prince Barin.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I think Finn did okay with a lightsaber. Probably because he trained with one of those electro-batons that Stormtroopers use now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Kylo was essentially Mayweather to Finn's McGregor and just toying with him. Until it became clear he was gonna be able to get a lucky hit in (which Finn did) and Kylo had to turn it to up to get him to gently caress off.

• Locked thread