Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Hellsau posted:

source please

Our good friend investor3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

The Sexual Shiite posted:

Our good friend investor3

That's the "reprint set cards aren't real cards" guy yeah?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

TheKingofSprings posted:

I played Yugioh with a friend in a doll house outside in the middle of Canadian winter when I was young

That's certainly more hardcore.

I played card games on home appliances because the only place to play cards was at local home appliance store where the owner's son had paintball and car audio equipment for sale and then bought out the old game store's stuff because his kids were into it. It was a mess.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

magic is good

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Lawnie posted:

Went 2-3 and dropped from Indy. They have some special playmat to give to the female player with the best record after day 2, that's pretty cool and apparently will continue to be a feature.

gp vancouver this year did something like this iirc. idk if it was a playmat, but they announced the top 2 or 3 female players in the event and i'm pretty sure there was a prize of some kind.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Zemyla posted:

Whenever you play anything on MTGO, you should get the refund window open just in case.

They gave it to me too, I guess time for one more draft

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Cernunnos posted:

That's the "reprint set cards aren't real cards" guy yeah?

Absolutely, if they don't come from a regular set or core set, they're faker than CNN.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Went 6-2 with bant spirits at the modern 3K today. Played against 8 different decks.

Got 21st out of 204. Was knocked out of top 8 by a teammate. Tournament review coming later. Bant spirits still the best 1973.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

GoutPatrol posted:

They gave it to me too, I guess time for one more draft

Just don't refund too much or they might suspend your account.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Procrastinator posted:

Just don't refund too much or they might suspend your account.

Punishing you for playing their buggy game. Sounds right.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Yeah, but the 'punishment' is that you don't have to play MODO any more.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

At this point, if you're playing at all, you're probably addicted enough to be hurt by not getting to play anymore.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
my last time i gave mtgo money I had to submit a reimbursement form because i got kicked off and couldn't reconnect until i restarted my computer. I still couldn't get back into my match because it ended prematurely, and was listed as a tie in one spot but a loss in another

when the reimbursed me they added a lecture about making sure my pc met the required specs and I had a secure internet connect, despite saying in my description that my pc and Internet were otherwise working fine

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
reminder that there no reimbursement forms in hearthstone, because they're not greedy enough to charge you money for the privilege of playing matches with a deck you already own

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

little munchkin posted:

reminder that there no reimbursement forms in hearthstone, because they're not greedy enough to charge you money for the privilege of playing matches with a deck you already own

on the other hand, you'd be playing a terrible game.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Wizards is lucky they have a better game, 'cause if any of these competitors were near as mechanically well-designed and fun at a base level as Magic is, they'd be in serious trouble.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

MrBling posted:

on the other hand, you'd be playing a terrible game.

this is why people work for wotc for no money until they realize they dont actually love mtg more than they love getting to eat food or pay bills

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Entropic posted:

Wizards is lucky they have a better game, 'cause if any of these competitors were near as mechanically well-designed and fun at a base level as Magic is, they'd be in serious trouble.

From what I can tell eternal is this. Though I can't be arsed to build up yet another collection and all that.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

From what I can tell eternal is this. Though I can't be arsed to build up yet another collection and all that.

Eternal is a really fun game, they need to market it a lot better though.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Entropic posted:

You ever hear of a company called games workshop?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Tournament report from yesterday's modern 3K:

R1 vs Classic Jund
win die roll
win 2-0

G1: Opponent drops a Bob and a Scooze, we trade hits until he drops an Olivia Voldaren (!!!!!) I swing past Olivia and drop my opponent to 5. He untaps (with 6 mana) and attempts to ping my selfless spirit so I sac it in response, in response to that he attempts to ping my mausoleum wanderer, so I flash in rattlechains, giving wanderer +1+1 and giving rattlechains hexproof. He attempts to ping rattlechains in response to the hexproof trigger, so I flash in a Drogskol captain, opponent passes. I swing and opponent is fornced to block with olivia, and then dies on my next swing.

G2: Opponent makes what I think is a huge misplay here. Opponent goes Fetch -> shock -> inquisition and sees my hand of 2x land, hierarch, wanderer, CoCo, Drogskol Captain, rattlechains.

Opponent takes Mausoleum wanderer. I shrug and play the hierarch (assuming its going to eat a removal spell) opponent plays a land and bolts the hierarch and passes.

I draw a geist of st traft, and pass the turn. Opponent plays a tap land and scooze and passes, I rattlechains on his end step. I play land number 3, swing for 2 with chains, and pass the turn.

Opponent untaps, swings with ooze, and then taps out for a LOtV, it resolves, and he uses her edict ability. In response, I flash in a Geist of St Traft and sacrifice rattlechains (opponent does not play land 4). I untap, play my land 4, swing 2 at Lily and 4 at opponent.

Opponent goes into the tank and then leads with an Anger of the Gods. I consider CoCo'ing in response, but if I whiff then I essentially get 1 for 4'd, which is bad. so I let him have the 1 for 1 with the geist and then CoCo on end step (which is was 100% the right play) Then I untap, cast the captain that had been in my hand since T1 and swing for lethal.

R2 vs R/G Burn (????????)
Lose the Die Roll
Lose 1-2

G1: I have mausoleum wanderer's and a geist of St traft to put a bow on the game very quickly. I'm very confused because my opponent main deck skullcracks me (??) and also Magma jets me (???????????)

Board in: Rhox War Monk, Blessed Alliance
Board out: 2 phantasmal 2 path

G2: My opponent does nothing until he drops a shrine of burning rage (!) (no spell queller for that) and I follow with a rhox war monk after that. What follows is 3 turns of me swinging with the war monk, and three consecutive skullcracks, followed by one swing with the war monk where my opponent blocks with a swiftspear and then bolts his own swiftspear before damage to prevent me from gaining life. Then he cracked the shrine and domed me for 9 (lethal)

Board in: 2 qasali pridemage
board out: 2 rattlechains.

G3: I keep a hand of 2 land, mausoleum wanderer, qasali pridemage, blessed alliance, geist, rhox war monk. Too bad I never see a third land.

This made me feel very bad.

R3 vs Abzan Classic
Lose Die Roll
Win 2-0

G1: My opponent has T1 hierarch, T2 goyf, T3 lingering souls. I have T1 Hierarch, T2 Geist, T3 CoCo. Plus a path for goyf. Opponent chumps with spirit tokens and dies.

Side out: Phantasmal images
Side in: rest in peace

G2: My opponent plays the discard game to start off with, and eventually we get to a point where he casts LotV while I have a rattlechains out and 3 mana up. Similar to the Jund matchup earlier he edicts with Lily, but this time I flash in a drogskol captain, untap swing into lily, play a second drogskol captain, pass the turn, take a swing from my opponent, and then play a third drogskol captain. I topdecked two of those three captains back to back. Get lucky play adequately.

R4 vs Baral Storm
lose the die roll
Win 2-1

G1: Opponent and I make small talk as he leads off with a Polluted Delta->Steam Vents->Serum Visions. He says his previous loss was to Grixis Deaths shadow, in response to his opening play I respond with "oh lost to the mirror eh?" Opponent laughs and passes. I open with Razorverge Thicket into Noble, and my opponent goes "Bant eldrazi? Is that even still a deck?" I reply with "I think it's a good deck" as I pass the turn.

Opponent plays a fetch, but doesn't crack it casts a sleight of hand, and passes the turn.

I play a botanical sanctum and pass, opponent cracks fetch at end step, untaps, and tries to cast a Baral. I immediately Spell Queller Baral and my opponent just says "oh poo poo" I start chipping in, while building a board presence. My opponent eventually gets to 4 land and plays a gifts ungiven. I coco in response but don't get queller or wanderer or Phantasmal image) Gifts resolves choosing 2 rituals, grapeshot, and past in flames. I gravyard grapeshot and past in flames and let him have the two rituals (not sure if this is right, but it seemed to be the most mana intensive way to go at the time, but now I think ritual and grapeshot in the yard and leave ritual past in flames in the hand might be better) Opponent tries to storm off but can only get the storm count to 10 and I am at 15 so he scoops it up.

Board out: 4 path, 1 selfless spirit
board in: 2x meddling mage, runed halo 2x rest in peace
The deck runs only grapeshot G1 with empty the warrens game 2 and lightning bolts from the board.

G2: Opponent gets a Baral an electromancer on his board. I lose this game but Mausoleum Wanderer is an all star card and taxes him for 3 turns while I search for either a cavern or a rest in peace, or anything. I don't find any but eventually die. I see zero sideboard cards.

G3: I mull to 6 but keep the hand with the T2 geist of st traft. Hand also contains a mausoleum wanderer, selfless spirit, and coco. I start the geist clock and put the wanderer and selfless spirit on the board as well. Opponent drops an electromancer but still has two lands while at ten life. He goes to start something and he taps a red for a ritual leaving an island up, I sac the wanderer to counter the ritual and my opponent pays for it with the island. Opponent storms out and makes a pile of mana then realizes that he has no blue mana and no manamorphose, so he settles for bolting my Noble (which I think is a possible misplay) I think he was trying to get me to bait out saccing the spirit to save the noble since I'd been attacking with exalted triggers a lot, or he assumed that I had a CoCo in hand and only 3 land in play and this would buy him the turn he needed. Opponent passes over to me, and I rip a land off the top, play it, and move to combat. Opponent is at ten life, I swing for 8 (geist + selfless spirit). Opponent decides not to block geist with his electromancer. I CoCo, my opponent looks me dead in the eyes and goes "show me the captain" as I count out the 6 cards. I show him two captains.

That was an incredible match of magic.

R5 vs Naya Splashing Black Evolution
Win the Die roll
Win 2-0

G1: I have no idea what's going on for the first few turns of this matchup. I throw a T2 geist down and my opponent plays a wall of omens on his T2. T3 I play a second Noble, a land, swing for 8 with geist, and pass. Opponent untaps and tries to Eldritch evolution his Wall of omens, which I spell queller (that's got to feel bad) and we move to game 2.

I don't think I made any changes to my deck.

G2: I go mausoleum wanderer into rattlechains and on my opponents T4 he casts an Orzhov Pontiff to try and wipe my board of Rattlechains and mausoleum wanderer. In response I flash in a Geist of St Traft so that the wanderer survives off the pump (rattlechains and my noble die). I start swinging with geist. Next turn I go to CoCo on my opponents end step and in response he taps all of his land and all of his creatures and says "Chord for 5?" I go "Sac Mausoleum Wanderer to counter unless you pay 1" And opponent scoops em up.

Lost to the onboard force spike, shameful.

R6 vs Grixis Deaths shadow (piloted by a known Alberta high level player, Curly)
I can't remember who won the die roll, I think me?
Win 2-0

G1: All my creatures fly and he doesn't have a discard heavy hand. Also I windmill slam a Kira on T3 so that helps.

Side in: 2x rest in peace, 2x blessed alliance, 1x runed halo.
Side out: geists and Phantasmal images. (geists out on the draw, geists in on the play was my reasoning)

G2: my opponent starts with fetch pass, so I play fetch pass. Opponent follows up with another fetch, considers passing the turn, but instead double cracks, double shocks, and plays a young pyromancer, I respond with fetch shock path to exile. I untap and slam a rest in peace, and we both play this super long attrition game where my opponent doest let his life get low enough to cast deaths shadows, but is removing anything I play. he eventually lands a Lily the last hope and starts plussing with no targets. I CoCo and swing her down for a bit until my creatures eat removal spells. I eventually successfully CoCo again and hit Kira and Selfless Spirit. I eventually kill new lily after several turns, and start attacking my opponents life total. I draw back to back spell quellers for my opponents hand full of removal spells, and win out.

in that match I learned that you can target a creature that can't be killed with fatal push, just to get rid of the kira trigger.

R7 vs 5 color collected humans
Lose the die roll
Lose 1-2

G1: Oh great I'm paired up against a one of the guys Who convoyed up with us. This match can go either way. But my opponent windmill slams the T2 Meddling mage naming Drogskol captain with strands two of them in my hand. It's the lack of respect that hurts the most. I phantasmal Image copying meddling mage naming thalia's lieutenant, so he reflector mages my phantasmal image. I am fully wrecked.

G2: I have a T2 Geist and my opponent stumbles on mana.

G3: I try to keep pressure on and we both hit CoCo's My rhox War Monks get reflector mage'd and I see no lords, and he sees thalia's lieutenants and both Thalia's.

Upside is he went on to top 8, losing to the guy who won it all (on U/W Control)

R8 vs Jeskai Control
Win the Die Roll
Win 2-0

G1: We play draw go for a while because I have a relatively slow hand and I don't want to tip off what I'm playing too early. I know this is a little risky, but I also assume that he has lots of removal. I eat an electrolyze and a lightning helix and then build a board that my opponent Path, path, snapcaster, paths. This puts me at 7 mana which lets me CoCo with Spell queller backup. We get into some weird tempo fights where my opponent resolves 4 Cryptic Commands, and I have two cryptic commands under spell quellers (one of which is a phantasmal image that CoCo'd into) Once I get to 8 mana, I CoCo hitting my second phantasmal image which comes in as a snapcaster mage targeting the Collected company in my graveyard which I then use when my opponent tries to Cryptic again. Eventually I win by pathing my opponents collonade when we're both in topdeck mode.

Sideboard: Path to exile out
Sideboard in: 2x meddling mage, 2x rest in peace

G2: Cavern in opening hand, Cavern casting Kira feels dirty in this matchup. Meddling mage comes in naming Supreme Verdict (technically I should have named Cryptic Command) Either way opponent has nothing.

So I went 6-2 for 21st place in a 204 person 3K.

Bant Spirits can beat up on control and midrange decks all day. And there were a pile of control and midrange decks.

Also Prismatic Omen scapeshift, and nobody was respecting primatic omen.

Top 8 was:
Sultai Deaths Shadow
Bant Eldrazi
Dredge
U/W Control (winner)
5 color collected humans
Scapeshift (2nd)
(2 other decks decks I will remember later)

Modern is cool and good.

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 27, 2017

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

What do people traditionally pair with green for ramp decks? I'm currently looking at red cause one of my available ramp cards(rattleclaw mystic) happens to make red too but then again my gut tells me that I actually want black for some kill spells that help with the whole not dying part of ramp decks. White is also an option though since blowing up the whole board is real good if you're trying to stall. I could also just add colorless stuff and play big eldrazi fucks that hopefully come down early enough to block...dang I forgot how much time you can sink into deckbuilding even if your collection actually isn't that big

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Tin Tim posted:

What do people traditionally pair with green for ramp decks? I'm currently looking at red cause one of my available ramp cards(rattleclaw mystic) happens to make red too but then again my gut tells me that I actually want black for some kill spells that help with the whole not dying part of ramp decks. White is also an option though since blowing up the whole board is real good if you're trying to stall. I could also just add colorless stuff and play big eldrazi fucks that hopefully come down early enough to block...dang I forgot how much time you can sink into deckbuilding even if your collection actually isn't that big

These have some common ramp things.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/589840#paper
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/464353#paper
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/394701#paper

I hope it helps.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Hah, anyone see that MTG Minecraft tie in ad this weekend during GP coverage? What a joke

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Eternal is really cool and has potential for greatness; I hope it gains some momentum and the playerbase keeps growing. It's basically what I actually wanted when I was playing Hearthstone

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Sickening posted:

I hope it helps.
Thanks duder. I'm missing most of those cards but seeing the decks gives me a better idea of what is needed to end up with something that functions

E: Probably trying to go the eldrazi route though since I opened two copies of ulamog from bfz and that guy just seems silly

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 27, 2017

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
IDK why i ever stopped playing Affinity...

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

mcmagic posted:

IDK why i ever stopped playing Affinity...

I borrowed a friend's affinity deck and the first time playing it in paper I 4-0'd and thought to myself "wow this deck is broken I should buy it and just exclusively play it." The next event I borrowed it for I mulligan'd to 5 every game except one where I kept an average 7 and every g2 in the event I experienced one of modern's many wonderful artifact hate cards on curve and realized exactly why it isn't fun to play all the time.

Great deck but you can get punished so badly sometimes with it

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I remember a game with Elves against Affinity where I managed to get Kataki out on turn two with Eldritch Evolution. The turn before that, my opponent laid out several artifact creatures that can only attack or block and had only Glimmervoid, Mox Opal, and Springleaf Drum. It took a few minutes for him to figure out how to pay for Kataki's tax and not lose all of his mana sources in the process.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Does Elves only play with the Druid/Vizier combo now? I don't see any lists recently not running it.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Mezzanon posted:

Top 8 was:
Sultai Deaths Shadow
Bant Eldrazi
Dredge
U/W Control (winner)
5 color collected humans
Scapeshift (2nd)
(2 other decks decks I will remember later)

Modern is cool and good.

This is a very encouraging result.

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program

GoutPatrol posted:

Does Elves only play with the Druid/Vizier combo now? I don't see any lists recently not running it.

Still shows up in company shells sometimes:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/742534#online

And my new favorite best/worst deck idea, all in druid combo:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/729611#online

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

GoutPatrol posted:

It's too good to not just play it. Even if you lose the 1 of vizier the deck functions well having the druids so it's worth the chance to go off.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Rides Naked posted:

Still shows up in company shells sometimes:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/742534#online

And my new favorite best/worst deck idea, all in druid combo:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/729611#online

x4 Hall of the Bandit Lord

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Mezzanon posted:

Tournament report from yesterday's modern 3K:
Modern is cool and good.

:agreed: I kinda regret getting rid of my CoCos, even though they haven't really gone up in price since I did so.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Eternal is fantastic, and if you aren't playing it, you should be. You can easily get in a draft per day with only a small amount of grinding, and unlike Hearthstone, you get to keep the cards you draft, so your collection builds up fast. I had a full tier-level deck after playing for a week.

Shamelss shill: use my referral link and you get an extra starter deck and 3 packs when you finish the tutorial campaign.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Dehtraen posted:

I borrowed a friend's affinity deck and the first time playing it in paper I 4-0'd and thought to myself "wow this deck is broken I should buy it and just exclusively play it." The next event I borrowed it for I mulligan'd to 5 every game except one where I kept an average 7 and every g2 in the event I experienced one of modern's many wonderful artifact hate cards on curve and realized exactly why it isn't fun to play all the time.

Great deck but you can get punished so badly sometimes with it

That's just modern though.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

"Don't read the comments. Don't read the comments. Don't read the comments."

*reads the comments*

:suicide:

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
That article left me kind of ambivalent. On one hand, I don't use any of these terms, because 1. They're stupid and 2. It makes you sound like a 13-year-old edgelord.

On the other hand, I loving hate people telling me what I should and shouldn't be saying, because someone might be offended, and hell - if someone wants to talk like a 13-year-old edgelord, that's their problem, not mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Jenx posted:

That article left me kind of ambivalent. On one hand, I don't use any of these terms, because 1. They're stupid and 2. It makes you sound like a 13-year-old edgelord.

On the other hand, I loving hate people telling me what I should and shouldn't be saying, because someone might be offended, and hell - if someone wants to talk like a 13-year-old edgelord, that's their problem, not mine.

You sound like someone who really likes South Park.