Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Acebuckeye13 posted:

edit: season 3 spoilers:

My own theorycrafting has been simpler than some of the people above : Toffie was in cahoots with Eclipsa the whole time and intended to sacrifice himself for his Queen. That's why he killed Moon's mother when she was so young, to push her into making a deal with Eclipsa for something that could kill him. When Moon chose a third option and instead shot off his finger, making his whole army flee, he himself left because he was suddenly not enough of a threat to kill. And the reason why he always put in some effort to not die? He didn't want to raise suspicions about his long-term goal by being seemingly okay with dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

What if Marco isn't the sun in this mural? What if the Blood Moon dance really was "meant" for Tom? With his control over fire, he would make a much more appropriate sun than Marco. Star also says "Since we're both royalty, there's sorta this pressure for us to be together" in Tom's section of the guidebook. What if that pressure comes from more than just keeping the bloodlines pure? What if Toffee isn't, as he believes, the only being to know about this prophecy?

It is worth keeping in mind that originally, Marco's name was going to be Sol-so if the mural is related to some kind of prophecy, then it almost certainly relates to Marco instead of Tom. There's also no apparent pressure from either Star or Tom's parents to attend the ball, so while there may have been pressure on the two to bring the Underworld under the domain of the Butterfly Kingdom through marriage, they weren't looking towards the Blood Moon to help accomplish that (If that's what your point was intended to be, and if that's even how the Blood Moon works*)

*The Blood Moon itself is interesting to talk about, since (Like so much else in this show) we know it's important, but the specifics of how or why are severely lacking. Hell, we don't even know how it binds souls, or what the effects actually are-did the Blood Moon make it destined that Star and Marco would get together? Was it merely a reflection of their already-close friendship, or a prediction of what was already meant to be? If they hadn't danced under the blood moon, would their relationship be different? I personally lean towards "It's predictive" instead of being strictly deterministic, but it's still a very open question.

X_Toad posted:

My own theorycrafting has been simpler than some of the people above : Toffie was in cahoots with Eclipsa the whole time and intended to sacrifice himself for his Queen. That's why he killed Moon's mother when she was so young, to push her into making a deal with Eclipsa for something that could kill him. When Moon chose a third option and instead shot off his finger, making his whole army flee, he himself left because he was suddenly not enough of a threat to kill. And the reason why he always put in some effort to not die? He didn't want to raise suspicions about his long-term goal by being seemingly okay with dying.

Eh, I don't think I really agree with that theory. There might be some personal connection between Toffee and Eclipsa (Though I personally doubt it), but Toffee's personality doesn't really suggest that he's someone who'd be willing to take orders (Or even die) on behalf of someone else unless it was to serve his own ends. Hell, he split off from the Monster King to put himself in charge and continue the rebellion back during the original war in Moon the Undaunted, and his entire arc in Season 1 and 2 revolved around manipulating Ludo to achieve his goals before eventually kicking him to the dirt-he's never stopped at trying to put himself on top through hook or crook, and being the mere underling of someone trapped in an ice crystal would just feel wildly out of character for him. (Plus, don't forget that part of his plan consisted of the corruption and ultimate destruction of magic on Mewni, something I don't think the famously powerful Eclipsa would be particularly fond of)

That said, I'm very much looking forward to figuring out just what the hell is up with Eclipsa.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I like all the stuff that points to the Mewnan monarchy being a really lovely institution even if the current King and Queen are personally well-meaning, hopefully Eclipsa brings that front and center.

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:
Finally caught up on the show. It was pretty fun on Season 1, but it really liked up from S2 through the movie!

I think Ludo's hand conversations was a Jojo reference

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

What, you thought I wouldn't keep these things going? Of course I would! A month is long enough to wait, right?

Episode 0301a: Return to Mewni

While Marco has completely fallen to pieces following Star's sudden exit from his life, Star and Moon must press on and visit the Royal Sanctuary to revive the Magic High Commission. Unfortunately, Toffee's ongoing corruption of Mewni magic has accelerated following the Commission's defeat and it's making things increasingly hard for the royal pair.

Fun facts: You might be fooled for a moment when you see the end-of-school decorations up, but all the exterior decorations are gone and the balloons are half-deflated, which means a few days must have passed since the last episode. I can personally attest that unflavored oatmeal does indeed taste like empty nothingness. Captain Blanche's Sugar Seeds is the brand Star tried to eat in "Crystal Clear." Star has a box of inferior Sparkle Cereal in the coach. The little red wagon is named the Butter Flyer. The ceiling carving in the Sanctuary shows people bowing down to Glossaryck. We only see three flowers in the sanctuary, but the wellspring has five spouts.

Food for thought: Do you think the hoodie Star wears is the one Marco misplaced in "Into the Wand?" Star ambushing the rats seems reckless even for her, but I imagine she just really needed a win at that point. Star keeps putting on wide-brimmed hats, much like the one Eclipsa wears.

Episode 0301b: Moon the Undaunted

At Star's request, Moon relates the events of how she made a deal with Eclipsa to defeat Toffee, the monster who killed her mother. Eclipsa is voiced by Esmé Bianco, best known as Ros from Game of Thrones.

Fun facts: Moon's mother is unnamed, but she has butterfly symbols on her cheeks. Count Mildrew is the man Aunt Etheria mentioned was still single in "Game of Flags." The lock is still in place on the Forbidden Chapter and Moon has to speak to Eclipsa herself to learn a spell, which implies that she wasn't allowed to read it when she was "about Star's age." The green lizard is clearly a younger Rasticore. Moon doesn't flinch: she aims for the finger on purpose, presumably so she won't free Eclipsa by killing Toffee. The stipulation is "once your enemy is killed," so she'll remain frozen if he dies a natural death. The marks on Toffee's shoulder skulls are spades and diamonds, but since Butterfly cheek marks are on skin and not bone he probably painted them on. Toffee addresses Moon with "Hello, Princess," probably as an insult since he knows full well she's queen now. Moon's confrontation with Toffee looks nothing like her tapestry, but then the winners write the history books (and design the tapestries). The monster leader bows to Moon at the end.

Food for thought: Omnitraxus' crystal ball rig looks like it runs on VCR technology, so it makes sense that it's the same in what's presumably the early to mid-90s. The alicorn stained glass window may be a reference to My Little Pony. Glossaryck's response to Moon's mother's death doesn't line up with what he says to Star about "having no feelings," but it does line up with the fact that he uses pink (love) magic. Every bit of Eclipsa's magic is purple-black. There may have been other ways to destroy Toffee for good, but then Eclipsa would have a very good reason to tell Moon that she has to make a magical contract to get the job done. Moon wears no gloves with her battle gear when she's young, but she always wears elbow-length gloves as an adult, which could mean the marks on her arms remained there for the rest of her life. There's one shot of her without them and without marks in "Mr. Candle Cares," but that could be a case of retconning. The monsters' sudden retreat seems like an easy ending, but it's perfectly in line with the behavior of Ludo's minions.

Episode 0302a: Book Be Gone

Ludo wakes up after the battle against the Commission knowing nothing about what happened or about how Toffee can now possess him at will. He meets up with Glossaryck, whom Toffee ordered to hide earlier, and when he hears "he" won the battle he decides to write it down in the Book of Spells. However, the Book of Spells has other ideas.

Fun facts: Bird's t-shirt and takeout bag match the logo for Britta's Tacos, which is the last place we saw Ludo's animals. Mina shows up for a split second during the temple devastation panning shot. How long she's been there and what she's up to are unknown, but the temple's surroundings (seen in "Face the Music") do resemble the last shot of "Starstruck." Between this and "Ludo in the Wild," it's clear Ludo's head can be used as a flotation device. Mewni's Waterfolk don't clean up after themselves, which is why the water during Ludo's march is full of trash. The march also shows deer-sheep, sheep-cows, and a mermaid skeleton with some very red hair.

Food for thought: Ludo's struggles with the book help this episode match up with the fact that several days pass between "Starcrushed" and "Return to Mewni." Toffee's corruption of Mewni magic doesn't seem to make it useless so much as it makes it useless for everything except green spells. This is not the last time we see a brown sphere with a golden glow during The Battle for Mewni, and that fact implies that Toffee is not the only character planning for the endgame (and also that Glossaryck knows exactly what he's doing throughout this episode).

Episode 0302b: Marco and the King

Between Moon's instructions to keep the kingdom happy and safe and his own coping mechanisms, King River has decided to party nonstop until Moon gets back. He only realizes the error of his ways when Marco shows up, having found the Sugar Seeds and decided to use them as an excuse to try and see Star. Unfortunately, between River's exhausting parties and Toffee's corruption de-powering the kingdom's protective spells, Mewni is unprepared to deal with an approaching kaiju monster.

Fun facts: Apparently Moon doesn't always take off her makeup before going to sleep. Ruberiot is alive and well despite fans' fears to the contrary. You can see a few people already tired of River's parties in the first sequence. River grabs the mascot head because the monkey pulls off part of his beard. Comes in handy, too. "Foolduke" = "Fooled You." Pay attention to River's arms during the monster perspective shot. River uses both "he" and "she" pronouns to refer to the monster since his/her gender is ambiguous and unknown.

Food for thought: I feel like episode 0302 should be called "Alan Tudyk's Emotional Breakdown." Presumably the fact that Battle for Mewni was marketed and presented as a single movie is how they got away with not giving Star a single line in this or "Book Be Gone."

Episode 0303a: Puddle Defender

When corrupted green magic overwhelms the Sanctuary, Star and Moon need to find a new place to lay low. Star realizes that Buff Frog's place would be the perfect spot, but it means that Moon must confront her issues with monsters.

Fun facts: The one bag left in the vending machine is Triangle Food, a callback to "Party with a Pony." Based on what Buff Frog says, Star has sat for the Buff Babies several times since "Starsitting."

Food for thought: According to the live chat that happened after the movie, Star spent two weeks at the Sanctuary. Add a few days before and after and the whole Battle for Mewni probably took just under a month. Once again we see that while most Mewni magic is fading, green magic is more powerful than ever. Presumably Moon is more prejudiced against monsters than most Mewmans because of what happened to her mother.

Episode 0303b: King Ludo

Ludo, having successfully conquered Castle Butterfly, is having trouble adjusting to his new role and responsibilities. Meanwhile, Marco works on an escape plan for him and King River, but River doesn't seem to think he's worth the effort.

Fun facts: In her framed photo, Moon blinked. River's "first rule of chess" and the last thing he tells Marco are deliberate bookends. Pay attention to the royal bedroom vent when you first see it; things are not how they're supposed to be. It's obvious when she speaks why the mime chose a silent profession, but then I probably wouldn't sound much better with a handkerchief rope stuffed down my throat. If you watch the key, the moment comes when Foolduke knocks both Ludo and Ruberiot down in one leap.

Food for thought: Why did that one rat eat a hole into its pancake? River could have led his people in a resistance movement, but he's probably still feeling down on himself after "Marco and the King" (plus the fact that he lost to Ludo at all). King River was confused and amazed by a toilet in "Royal Pain," so he presumably found out what it was for and had a solid gold toilet installed for his own use in the months between the two episodes. The dungeon sure has a lot of escape routes.

Episode 0304: Toffee

The events of the previous three episodes come to a head as Ludo grows increasingly mad, Star infiltrates the castle looking for her father, Marco attempts to make the artists do something useful, and Toffee's master plan reaches its final phase.

Fun facts: The elevator music is an easy-listening version of "Great King Ludo Is Great" from the last episode. Star may have learned how to levitate objects since "Baby," but she clearly hasn't learned the spell's name. "See that? Me! ME!" Ludo shouts, pointing at a banner that bears Toffee's distinctive missing finger. We actually saw River go through "way worse" than a Levitato spell during "Camping Trip." Ludo misspells "wand." Toffee greets Star with the same "Hello, Princess" he said to Moon. When Moon tries to use Star's wand, it fails because a) she's trying to cast a purple spell when magic has been corrupted by green energy and b) the wands are connected and the spirit that rose from Ludo's hand was the Italian Stallion from "Storm the Castle." As such, neither wand has a power source at that particular moment. Also, Toffee no longer has a heart.

Food for thought: Once again Star and Marco independently had the same idea, but I like the quiet touch that Marco did a much better job crafting his disguise than Star. Based on what happened last time, Star's skeleton is probably among the wreckage. While it's not explicit, this episode remains in line with the theory that yellow energy represents joy and healing (healing because Toffee has become a lizard-shaped pile of corrupted goo).

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Aug 17, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Possibly a previous Queen took a leaf out of Lord Vetinari's book and ensured the deepest, dankest cell in the dungeon is the easiest to escape from.

So what's the rundown on the magical colours? Golden yellow seems to be joy and healing, which Star uses in a very 'healing harms undead' manner, and Star's usual summon magic is pink. Anger, jealousy and hate power destructive green magic, which Ludo has great talent with, and Eclipsa's dark magic, which seems to be focused around breaking the rules of the world (spy where you can't see, kill what can't die) with consequences for the user. (though is Eclipsa shown to have corruption markings on her arms?)

...though the immortal-slaying spell is seemingly implied to have taken Toffee's living finger into the wand, given it was a source of corruption within it that Star had to excise. Does make one wonder what would happen if it had been used to kill an entire immortal lizard. Does it work via a loophole of absorption rather than destruction?

Speaking of, the ending seems to imply that while Toffee was able to reconstitute himself into what outwardly looked like his old body, on the inside he was basically a skeleton surrounded by goop; he's no longer immortal, because he no longer had the same biology as his old self. That may have contributed to Marco being able to punch straight through his body, though Marco is starting to get borderline superhuman himself. (He is being played a lot as a foil to King River, which River seems to approve of)

EDIT: \/\/\/ Yeah, but that kinda got reset physically and somewhat mentally (implied at least), so he's probably back to barely above baseline human for now.

Kinda funny that Marco's never really shown to have exceptional karate skills aside from knowing how to punch, kick and jump, but that's really all he needs to start off with, the rest is experience and cunning, and his sensei is competent in that area at least.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 18, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Marco spent like a decade and a half wandering across dimensions to beat a magical quasi-deity at her own game, I'd say he's well over that border.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Inescapable Duck posted:

Speaking of, the ending seems to imply that while Toffee was able to reconstitute himself into what outwardly looked like his old body, on the inside he was basically a skeleton surrounded by goop; he's no longer immortal, because he no longer had the same biology as his old self. That may have contributed to Marco being able to punch straight through his body, though Marco is starting to get borderline superhuman himself. (He is being played a lot as a foil to King River, which River seems to approve of)

I do wonder if they'll do anything with the fact that Star also had to reconstitute herself a new body, albeit out of pure, uncorrupted magic instead of Toffee's black goo. I mean, I don't exactly expect them to have Star confronted with her own skeletal remains, but on the other hand I didn't exactly expect them to do half the poo poo they pulled off in the season opener, so who knows where they might go with that.

In other news:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Star would totally be the type to recover her own skeleton and hang it up in her room, maybe talk to it every now and again.

Also, I was half expecting Rasticore to join in.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Inescapable Duck posted:

Star would totally be the type to recover her own skeleton and hang it up in her room, maybe talk to it every now and again.

Also, I was half expecting Rasticore to join in.

I was expecting their roles to be reversed since Rasticore is the tryhard between the two.

Popcornicus
Nov 22, 2007

This show is fantastic and I'm glad there's a thread with a great OP. I waited nearly a year for season 2 to show up on Hulu and binged it in ~3 days...it was worth it. Can anyone with skills help me shrink this image to avatar size without losing a bunch of quality?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I was expecting their roles to be reversed since Rasticore is the tryhard between the two.

I probably should've explained it earlier, but it's a joke based on a previous image the artist came up with. (The artist, incidentally, is the sister of storyboard revisionist Ariel V. H, also known as president of the Toffee Fan Club)

Popcornicus posted:

This show is fantastic and I'm glad there's a thread with a great OP. I waited nearly a year for season 2 to show up on Hulu and binged it in ~3 days...it was worth it. Can anyone with skills help me shrink this image to avatar size without losing a bunch of quality?

Something like this?

Bonus version with border:

Also, for the hell of it:

Come on Marco. Read my mind.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Aug 25, 2017

Popcornicus
Nov 22, 2007

Thanks dude. That is basically the result I got with Paint, but if I want higher quality I probably have to ask the original artist to redo the image at 180px. The other gifs are cool too and definitely belong in the OP.

This is one of my favorite pieces of fanart ever; it translates the subjective feel of the character to a different art style so well. It's just a bonus that it depicts indisputable best girl Jackie Lynn Thomas, whose effortless cool reminds me of Ferris Bueller crossed with Ramona Flowers. She would definitely make a better queen than Star, especially if she ruled alongside Lord Toffee, which could still happen (you can't prove it won't):

(Game of Thrones spoilers)
"Every time I'm faced with a decision, I close my eyes and see the same picture.

Whenever I consider an action, I ask myself: will this action help to make this picture a reality? Pull it out of my mind and into the world? And I only act if the answer is yes.

A picture of me on the IronMewnian Throne...and you by my side."

Popcornicus fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Aug 25, 2017

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Heckapoo is objectively best girl tho.

Popcornicus
Nov 22, 2007

Motherfucker posted:

Heckapoo is objectively best girl tho.

In a post-Korra & Steven Universe environment, the writers have precedents to take the shipping subplots in interesting directions.

A permanent state of Starco would get stale quickly. If the characters age up as in Adventure Time and the show's run is long enough, Marco will probably explore multiple relationships.

Marco nearly chose to remain in Hekapoo's realm because he prefers "the journey" to a settled life. It may be impossible for him to commit to a long-term relationship with Star. We could see Marco discovering that the Blood Moon is demonic magic that arrogates his free will and searching for a way to dispel it...or embracing it as the harbinger of an inescapable destiny.

Meanwhile, Star is on course to break with various Mewnian traditions, including racism against the "monsters" and the pointless chauvinism represented by the flag game. She may ultimately decide that she prefers ruling without a king.

Older Marco reminds me of Guts in the Black Swordsman arc, which is not a bad thing.

Popcornicus fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 27, 2017

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Janstar is endgame, duh

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Popcornicus posted:

In a post-Korra & Steven Universe environment, the writers have precedents to take the shipping subplots in interesting directions.

A permanent state of Starco would get stale quickly. If the characters age up as in Adventure Time and the show's run is long enough, Marco will probably explore multiple relationships.

Polyamory is probably still too interesting for children's television right now.

Popcornicus
Nov 22, 2007

Junpei Hyde posted:

Janstar is endgame, duh

Janna is a wildcard: we know nothing about who or what she wants, but her behavior hints at hidden depths. In Mewberty, Janna is preoccupied with Star's spellbook. In Gift of the Card, she tells Marco that she has collected all of his personal information, including his fingerprints and Social Security number. Later, Janna opens a hidden compartment behind Marco's locker where she keeps secret possessions, including a book on witchcraft. With this book, she is able to correctly identify the curse afflicting Marco. This is extraordinary: prior to this point, only beings of extradimensional origin have demonstrated practical mastery of occult knowledge.

I believe "John Keats" was a deliberate misdirect intended to placate the truth box, thereby concealing her feelings for a living person. To conceive this strategy, Janna must have already understood Star's climactic epiphany that human emotions are multivalent and changeable.

Janna spends more and more time at Marco's house as the series progresses, cleaving tightly to Star.

Despite these apparent clues, Janna's long-term agenda remains wholly mysterious. She could be a benign sidekick growing into her potential as a powerful witch, or a nascent late-season villain. Her predilections for dark occultism and testing [Marco's] boundaries invite comparison with Eclipsa.

Popcornicus fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Aug 27, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's a few Earth characters that are a bit ambiguously human/normal; Janna could be a teenage girl who's picked up scraps of magic from extradimensional influence (it is pretty much stated as clearly as it can that Earth has no native magic, given it was unaffected by the magic downturn and there's no supernatural influence on the climate and ecosystem beyond what Star adds to it) and happens to be a skilled thief, or she might be something more. Likewise with Jackie and her mermaid motif, and the random guy who may or may not be a werewolf. Hell, even the mall karate guy has managed to display similar near-superpowers to Marco just from practice with old karate tapes.

(Though we do have an established ghost with Bon Bon the Birthday Clown, but there's a funny cartoon/anime thing where ghosts are ALWAYS real)

Of course, it's established early on with Miss Skullnick that humans can be supernaturally influenced, stay that way, accept it and go on with their lives. Who says she's the first?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Will Ludo ever get a boyfriend?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Will Ludo ever get a boyfriend?

his hand is now toffee's hand so... kinda

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Motherfucker posted:

his hand is now toffee's hand so... kinda

Someone's not caught up.

I did a re-watch and Bobbin's episode guide helped with pointing out some stuff that I probably wouldn't have caught, so thanks! Afterward, I was thinking about the Season 3 opening movie and the end credits would work really well as a replacement Princess/Queen song for Star since her debut one was a bit of a disaster. And I think it would work; it's not the traditional style, but kind of is with how it shows Star in a positive light like Moon's song.

Popcornicus
Nov 22, 2007

Coffeehitler posted:

I did a re-watch and Bobbin's episode guide helped with pointing out some stuff that I probably wouldn't have caught, so thanks! Afterward, I was thinking about the Season 3 opening movie and the end credits would work really well as a replacement Princess/Queen song for Star since her debut one was a bit of a disaster. And I think it would work; it's not the traditional style, but kind of is with how it shows Star in a positive light like Moon's song.

The vocal tracks in season 2 & Battle for Mewni are awesome and replayable. I hope they do full versions of Too Little Too Late and Waiting for Me at some point.

Per these tweets from Marco's voice actor, Jarco will suffer its brutal end in season 3. I wonder how long they're planning to draw out the collapse.

Junpei Hyde posted:

Janstar is endgame, duh

Yeah, it says so right here on this thing. This...paper, piece of paper...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Coffeehitler posted:

Someone's not caught up.

I'm almost glad there's not a longer version of the end credit song because if there was I'd have had it on loop for the last several months.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Popcornicus posted:

The vocal tracks in season 2 & Battle for Mewni are awesome and replayable. I hope they do full versions of Too Little Too Late and Waiting for Me at some point.

Per these tweets from Marco's voice actor, Jarco will suffer its brutal end in season 3. I wonder how long they're planning to draw out the collapse.

I really don't care about Jarco or whatever, but I like Jackie as a character and I hope she doesn't just get written off the show.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

I really don't care about Jarco or whatever, but I like Jackie as a character and I hope she doesn't just get written off the show.

:same:

Popcornicus
Nov 22, 2007

The writers will figure it out. The shipping nonsense is neither necessary nor sufficient for the development of any of these characters, but sometimes it seems to be what (non-goon) internet fans talk about exclusively, so the show has to deliver.

Random wants for season 3:
  • More universe building and seedy Mewnian politics, including a peasant uprising that forces Star to pick sides
  • Battles against Eclipsa with her own unique summons and chocolate; a returned Glossaryck fighting at full power
  • Marco using skills and knowledge that he explicitly gained in Hekapoo's realm
  • Fake trailer for Janna spinoff set in downtown LA and totally ripped off from Angel

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I hope she develops and/or reveals a character flaw; that's been bugging me ever since I noticed it. Pretty much every character with even a fraction of Jackie's screen time has at least one significant flaw, but the worst you can say about Jackie is that she's maybe a bit too big into skateboarding and she's way more chill than Marco probably deserves. And neither of those are significant enough flaws that she would need to work on improving herself.

I'm not saying I want Jackie taken down a peg or anything, I just get the feeling that the she (and by extension the showrunners) is hiding something, and I'm curious what it is. It'd actually be pretty amazing if it turned out to be that fan theory that she's a wannabe mermaid-in-disguise, especially if she later (or in the same episode) went to visit the Mewni Waterfolk and got disenchanted by how they're a bunch of regular slobs.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Hook up Jackie with Tom.

Though yeah, Marco and Jackie's relationship not lasting seems like it'd make sense; aside from that they're teenagers in their first relationship, they don't really know each other that well aside from that they get along and find each other attractive. Marco explicitly had barely talked to her at the start of the show.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Becoming infatuated with people you barely know who seem generally nice and realizing how incompatible you are as you spend more time with them is a very realistic representation of teenage love so I wouldn't be surprised if they went that route with Marco and Jackie.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Though they strike me as the type to have a relatively amicable separation. It's annoying when writers want to break up a pairing so they turn one of them (usually the woman) into a raging jerk suddenly for no reason.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Popcornicus posted:

Take Adam's tweets with a grain of salt, since while he's very open about personally shipping Starco he doesn't have any actual input on the direction the show's going, and wouldn't intentionally divulge information about the upcoming season in any case.

On a related note though, he recently did an interview where he talked a lot about his work on Star, which some of you may be interested in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTgSMxTr5cM

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

My only hope is that Starco isn't endgame. Male-female BFFs are almost nonexistant in fiction and I feel like it'd be healthier to show that these relationships can exist and are normal.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

paradoxGentleman posted:

My only hope is that Starco isn't endgame. Male-female BFFs are almost nonexistant in fiction and I feel like it'd be healthier to show that these relationships can exist and are normal.

On the one hand, you're absolutely right, and this is something that Star's VA pointed out herself back in the early days of the series. Unfortunately, even if Star and Marco don't ultimately get together, that ship has really already sailed to an extent. The only consolation really is that while they've gone down the path of portraying a budding romantic relationship, they've handled it about as well as anyone could hope-and in the process, absolutely affirmed that both members of the pair value the other's friendship far more than any other kind of relationship. Of course, we're also less than halfway through the series, and there's still plenty of directions they could ultimately go.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
Everyone knows that Stanco (Star/Janna/Marco) is end-game anyway.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I'd love to see more Janna. She's wonderfully chilled. Also totally agree on Jackie, she hopefully can remain good friends with Star & Co.

In fact, all of the classmates are entertaining. Especially when Star took them on the Magic School Bus trip from hell. I prefer them to the peasants of Mewni.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
As always, crew fanart is the best fanart:

More here

Edit: Bonus Eclipse Eclipsa

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
After randomly catching the second half of season 2 and then the crazy amazing beginning of season 3 I went back and rewatched the whole show. A few thoughts:

1. This show is shockingly great and I loving love the bizarre fantasy world they've concocted.

2. You can actually see the evil queen in the back of Rhombulus' lair in "Crystal Clear". Awesome foreshadowing:

3. I didn't catch it on the first pass but it seems like Glosarick intentionally left Star with the forbidden section of the book unlocked to see if she'd be seduced by dark magic.

4. Baby/Running with Scissors is easily the best episode combo in the show outside of season 3. That's actually the first one I watched which got me into it.

5. They've really built up Star to be the most powerful queen since Eclipsa which hopefully means the next season or two will be awesome.

6. I'll miss Toffee that creepy Patrick Bateman motherfucker. The show got soooo much better the minute he was introduced.

7. Ludo is one of the most tragic cartoon villains I've seen in a long time. I can't tell how much of that is writing and how much is Alan Tudyk but hopefully he'll reappear later in the season.