Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Lake Effect posted:

I wonder how the USS Texas is weathering Harvey right now. I wouldn't be shocked if we hear bad news about it.

They recently refurbished it a few years back, it's floating in a port with mostly mud surrounding it so I doubt it is in that bad shape. If it hits the dock it might get damaged but even then I think the dock would get the worst of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Weren't they supposed to be moving it into a drydock this summer?

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

I brought the Shiratsuyu for those games. 16 torps goes a long way even when the enemy BB does see it coming. I got a couple BBs the first game, a couple the second game, and went a couple games before I got the last. I would've brought the Akizuki for the ribbon mission, but was divving with T7 so I used Mahan. For the last I brought out my BBs again, and ultimately I think it was North Carolina that got me the mission.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Blindeye posted:

They recently refurbished it a few years back, it's floating in a port with mostly mud surrounding it so I doubt it is in that bad shape. If it hits the dock it might get damaged but even then I think the dock would get the worst of it.

Park officials are confident, her pumps are in working order and she's getting a new generator capable of powering all her electronics on its own very soon.

Sperglord Actual posted:

Weren't they supposed to be moving it into a drydock this summer?

She's in worse shape than originally thought, a large chunk of the original 25 million is going into making it so they can move her at all. It's not an 'It's utterly hopeless' situation, but she needs a lot more love before her antifouling can be put on display for all to see.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

I appreciate the Texas update^

Got the third blueprint. Also used the Kamikaze to farm BB kills. And I have like 8 stars into the second Yamamoto mission too, so im feeling pretty good.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Heh, just use a Fujin/Kamikaze and soar through that challenge (or a CV if you're decent in them). Completed the first step in TWO games with my Fujin. One of them was a 180k damage loss... :smithicide:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
I kept getting my kills jacked by pubbies so I eventually got tired and just had a friend queue with me in my Enterprise into coop with him in a Tirpitz to abuse mirror MM and get those easy DB citadels.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
:laffo: I got reported five times for saying the Bismarck was a bad ship in game chat.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Turns out the Graf Zeppelin is only poo poo if you're in a battleship, it's plenty loving dangerous if you're in a destroyer or a cruiser without defensive AA/with defensive AA on cooldown

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
My least favorite thing about tier 8+ play is having an invisible DD sitting in 8KM away from my battleship, torping, completely unopposed because our DDs are following the capital ships around like needy housecats. Go cap or annoy the poo poo out of the enemy battleships, you aren't doing anything over here.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

NTRabbit posted:

Turns out the Graf Zeppelin is only poo poo if you're in a battleship, it's plenty loving dangerous if you're in a destroyer or a cruiser without defensive AA/with defensive AA on cooldown

Yeah, that thing can loving eat a destroyer.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

ZombieLenin posted:

Yeah, that thing can loving eat a destroyer.

Which is ironic, since the speculation on her getting nerfed the way she was that she was too strong vs CAs and DDs.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Yuro's place of work closed down and he got laid off, which sucks and I know how he feels, but he's going to start making more botes videos again, so silver linings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIiV1Bn4ysw

e: Keep watching for his bit on Graf Zeppelin

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
So the reward for the 40 piece Yamamoto collection, which incidentally you've got to pay for the privilege of beginning the collection, is a lovely as Yamamoto flag?

Come on Wargaming, you can do better than that. I could care less--and I think most people are the same--about a, frankly speaking, unattractive flag that nobody will notice I'm flying but me, which provides zero bonuses.

Thanks, but I will pass. The signal flags that came with the first box were nice, but uh... can you turn off the lovely jpeg "collection" items? Even looking at them irritates me.

Edit

Hyperbole. I know there is to it than this.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Aug 28, 2017

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.

ZombieLenin posted:

So the reward for the 40 piece Yamamoto collection, which incidentally you've got to pay for the privilege of beginning the collection, is a lovely as Yamamoto flag?

Come on Wargaming, you can do better than that. I could care less--and I think most people are the same--about a, frankly speaking, unattractive flag that nobody will notice I'm flying but me, which provides zero bonuses.

Thanks, but I will pass. The signal flags that came with the first box were nice, but uh... can you turn off the lovely jpeg "collection" items? Even looking at them irritates me.

No you can start getting them in boxes after you complete the entire campaign, which if you don't get any of the Yamamoto boxes from the store won't be until all the campaign stages are unlocked.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Why ?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Going to guess your destroyers were godawful.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Knowing Hammerstein, they angered a witch.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner

NTRabbit posted:

Yuro's place of work closed down and he got laid off, which sucks and I know how he feels, but he's going to start making more botes videos again, so silver linings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIiV1Bn4ysw

e: Keep watching for his bit on Graf Zeppelin

I suppose his videos are blocked in Germany. The Hindenburg video featured the banned stanzas of the German anthem, and now this one ups the ante with an Hitler speech :laugh:

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
I think that Eurobeat has ceased to give a drat.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Speaking of seal clubbing, only just today I realised that for some reason the Arkansas Beta has six upgrade slots. :psyduck:

I guess it's all the extra capacity from having zero AA

Nordick fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Aug 28, 2017

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
One of those nights, 6 straight losses in my Tirpitz. Most were tier X games where the snipefest consisted of me being permaspotted and melted down to slag by hindenbergs, and tier 8 games, well...

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
You know how tier 10 games can involve a lot of maneuvering around in the first three minutes or so before one side commits?

Oh well poo poo, that isn't a good sign. Uuuuuh what is he in?

Wait, what

:whitewater:

He ran straight into the enemy, got caged in by the warships, and was pelted by dive bombers until he died. It was the most historically accurate thing I have ever seen. What did he have to say for himself?

Bonus: The retard screaming in caps was our NC, who sailed to the northern border of the map, got super mad that his team wasn't attacking in the direction he liked, and started shooting everyone defending the cap. He landed a full salvo across my cruiser and died to the reflected damage.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck the weekend.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Yeah I had a "great" weekend too. Unlocked the Henri IV though.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
I'm so glad my weekends are on Monday and Tuesday.

Mauzeraut
Aug 15, 2005

Ka-BEWWWWM!
Wrapping up the Donnie Darko. Ended up liking this ship a lot less than I thought I would.

Anyone mind giving me tips on the Moskva? I'm hoping I can afford to be fairly aggressive with it (to the same extent as a Des Moines, at least). Donnie wants to be in the rear sniping and shaking her rear end around more than anything, and it's not really clicking for me.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

You really don't want to be up close in any cruiser at all, except at point blank range to kill stuff with torps. But here is the thing: the Moskva doesn't have torps, so there goes the only reason ever to get close.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Mauzeraut posted:

Wrapping up the Donnie Darko. Ended up liking this ship a lot less than I thought I would.

Anyone mind giving me tips on the Moskva? I'm hoping I can afford to be fairly aggressive with it (to the same extent as a Des Moines, at least). Donnie wants to be in the rear sniping and shaking her rear end around more than anything, and it's not really clicking for me.

Yeah its tempting to snipe with the Moskva because it has the best gun ballistics in the game but doing that means you don't get to use its other strengths which are its radar, and tankiness. If you park at about a 10 degree angle from anything you will bounce all their shots and only take superstructure dmg. Straight on, it can get citadelled through the bow so a slight angle is the key. Sounds easy but the hard bit is realising what can have a broadside shot at you from further away.

Use AP on anything broadside (inc BBs) and for the most part forget you have a rear turret. Also use the Reload mod, not range.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Nordick posted:

Speaking of seal clubbing, only just today I realised that for some reason the Arkansas Beta has six upgrade slots. :psyduck:

I guess it's all the extra capacity from having zero AA

10.5km concealment and T9 gun upgrade on a T4 BB :getin:

Only downside to it is that pretty much all my top USN CA and BB captains have AFT, which is a horrible waste of points on it. Fire prevention would make it even dumber. There's a lot of CV's at tiers 4 and 5 but most of the sealclubbers disappeared with the manual drop removal, so it's even better than it used to be. It's not that widely played these days and it seems a lot of people simply aren't aware it has zero AA.

It's not the Nikolai (main shortfall is the 1.5 sigma where Nikolai has 2.0), but it actually gets surprisingly close. (That's with the accuracy mod which is what I run, but I've considered switching to reload instead.)

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Aug 28, 2017

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Cippalippus posted:

You really don't want to be up close in any cruiser at all, except at point blank range to kill stuff with torps. But here is the thing: the Moskva doesn't have torps, so there goes the only reason ever to get close.

Although at point blank the Moskva can even shoot a Yamato through the belt.... :black101:

Mauzeraut
Aug 15, 2005

Ka-BEWWWWM!

Hammerstein posted:

Although at point blank the Moskva can even shoot a Yamato through the belt.... :black101:

This, this is the reason I want the ship.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

kaesarsosei posted:

Yeah its tempting to snipe with the Moskva because it has the best gun ballistics in the game but doing that means you don't get to use its other strengths which are its radar, and tankiness. If you park at about a 10 degree angle from anything you will bounce all their shots and only take superstructure dmg. Straight on, it can get citadelled through the bow so a slight angle is the key. Sounds easy but the hard bit is realising what can have a broadside shot at you from further away.

Use AP on anything broadside (inc BBs) and for the most part forget you have a rear turret. Also use the Reload mod, not range.

I finally got a worthwhile super container upgrade, instead of my two spotting plane durations, in one of the Yamamoto super containers--the radar upgrade.

I slapped that poo poo straight on my Moskva.

In other news, I'm up to 15 million credits. 6 million more and I can comfortably afford my Khabarovsk; however, I'm really tempted to re-buy a Udaloi, which I sold a couple months ago instead...

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Cippalippus posted:

Hindenburg disagrees with you, that ship loves to get into close range brawls because at close range nothing can actually citadel it. Admittedly it is a general rule of thumb and especially true for Moskva, given it is fairly easy to citadel with virtually any kind of shot into the side. Your visibility is utterly insane too, so you really shouldn't be sneaking into close range of anything - you in fact have worse concealment than said Yamato one may be able to shoot through at close range.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Yeah, but the Hindenburg is fearsome because it can close the range without fear of being nuked like the Zao. If you actually try to run away from a Hindenburg closing on you, you're going to eat a shitload of damage while broadside. Against a Mosvka, I can just angle and citadel him at leisure while he does minimal damage to my superstructure; a Hindenburg closes the gap and sends 8 torps on me.

edit: I'm now the #2 Gremyaschy player in EU http://wows-numbers.com/ship/4293801424,Gremyashchy/ :smugdog:

Cippalippus fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Aug 28, 2017

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Cippalippus posted:

Yeah, but the Hindenburg is fearsome because it can close the range without fear of being nuked like the Zao. If you actually try to run away from a Hindenburg closing on you, you're going to eat a shitload of damage while broadside. Against a Mosvka, I can just angle and citadel him at leisure while he does minimal damage to my superstructure; a Hindenburg closes the gap and sends 8 torps on me.

I like my Hindenburg, but I think that it's the gummiest of my Tier X cruisers. And this is because you're right, the Hindenburg needs to be far closer than the other Tier X cruisers to be effective; however meta at Tier 10 is engaging at medium-long distances for the first part of the match.

In practice this means I often end up overly aggressive and out of position in her, and thus die gloriously.

This can be mitigated a bit by using the range upgrade, but that is less than optimal/synergistic with the ship--from that perspective the reload upgrade would be better; however, I think these days the range upgrade is just what you have to use on her.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
So does anyone play enough CVs to notice the problem I've been having recently? Since the last patch I think its widely know there have been micro-stuttering issues, various Youtubers have pointed it out too. But for me the problem is excessively bad when playing CVs. Like literally every 30secs I get a massive lag spike, and when playing CVs that can be critical.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

kaesarsosei posted:

So does anyone play enough CVs to notice the problem I've been having recently? Since the last patch I think its widely know there have been micro-stuttering issues, various Youtubers have pointed it out too. But for me the problem is excessively bad when playing CVs. Like literally every 30secs I get a massive lag spike, and when playing CVs that can be critical.

I've definitely noticed the stuttering issues; however, I don't play carriers often enough to note whether or not it's been any worse when playing them or not.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

TheFluff posted:

10.5km concealment and T9 gun upgrade on a T4 BB :getin:

Only downside to it is that pretty much all my top USN CA and BB captains have AFT, which is a horrible waste of points on it. Fire prevention would make it even dumber. There's a lot of CV's at tiers 4 and 5 but most of the sealclubbers disappeared with the manual drop removal, so it's even better than it used to be. It's not that widely played these days and it seems a lot of people simply aren't aware it has zero AA.

It's not the Nikolai (main shortfall is the 1.5 sigma where Nikolai has 2.0), but it actually gets surprisingly close. (That's with the accuracy mod which is what I run, but I've considered switching to reload instead.)
Yeah I'm running the reload and range mods and the 26 sec reload is pretty nutso. The reload mod does make the turrets turn slower, but it's not a huge deal as they still turn faster than most anything at tier; The Wyoming's turn faster, but only very marginally.

Honestly I might just go full comedy option and replace the range mod with the secondary battery mod and start getting all up in people's faces. Together with AFT and flag it puts the secondary range at 5.3 km, which is still really short but doable at those tiers. And the drat thing has a lot of secondaries...

Nordick fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 28, 2017

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Every game with my Bismarck is basically me picking a nice hill to die on, running up the hill, punching some guys in the face, and then getting murdered to death with around 80-140k in damage. Then I usually lose because my team's battleships are a bunch of inept pussholes. I feel like I am not doing enough to guarantee wins, but playing passively with the battleships never seems to work out. :shrug:

I am not a great BB player, but I land shots and steer towards the enemy, which is more than most of them do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Bismarck is honestly one of my favourite battleships to shoot. Easy to light on fire and usually driven by potatoes.

As for cruisers, Hindenburg easily rivals Zao for best cruiser at this point in time.