Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Jerry Cotton posted:

Uhh... wrong thread?

Pretty much every gamer I know somehow thinks it has a good story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Midig posted:

Oh I don't know any "gamers" :shrug:

e: Am I confused here though - is FFX not the one that consists solely of the main character falling into water and then crying a lot, over and over again?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Midig posted:

but how? its the one where it turns out toodis' dad is a space whale and after learning that he lets out the worst laugh in history, right?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

U-DO Burger posted:

tag was pretty fun growing up imo

Spotlight was better, the stakes were higher

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I liked FFX because of the gameplay but gently caress me if the story, characters and the villain, THAT loving VILLAIN, weren't atrocious. FF poo poo is usually weak storytelling and their characters tend to be hackneyed, but never have I ever hated anything so much as Seymour.

The only FF story I remember liking was FF Tactics Advanced. It was simple, sweet and heartfelt instead of a quantum reality stoner philosophy bullshit generator.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Speaking of final fantasy, the best one was the original and there hasn't been a good one since 2-3 (yeah that's right I didn't use the japan numbers, what of it)

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Speaking of final fantasy, the best one was the original and there hasn't been a good one since 2-3 (yeah that's right I didn't use the japan numbers, what of it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pScXfvonzxY

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

I never knew before now that the game I need to play right now is an anime fishing simulator, but now I do and I feel like I should take back all my rude words about the newer final fantasy games.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

spit on my clit posted:

but how? its the one where it turns out toodis' dad is a space whale and after learning that he lets out the worst laugh in history, right?

I recently finished reading an LP of FFX. From what I could tell, Tidus is a dream of some people who've been dead for a thousand years. He's brought into the real world to destroy a monster that is his father, who somehow also ended up in the real world. It's pretty incredible because the more you think about it and look into what's going on, the less sense it makes.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I never knew before now that the game I need to play right now is an anime fishing simulator, but now I do and I feel like I should take back all my rude words about the newer final fantasy games.

Gay Twink Monster Fish Outing looks pretty tight, but if I had to play an actual final fantasy game in 2017 to do it I'm out

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Final Fantasy is weeaboo trash.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Aesop Poprock posted:

Gay Twink Monster Fish Outing looks pretty tight, but if I had to play an actual final fantasy game in 2017 to do it I'm out

aren't twinks inherently gay?

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Aesop Poprock posted:

Gay Twink Monster Fishing Outing is behind like bare minimum 6 hours of Final Fantasy slog and at least one melodrama cutscene about everyone dying and is also semi-hidden.

So basically it ain't worth it.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Curious: When Gay Twink Monster Outing was announced, they said they wouldn't include a female character because "guys act different around giiiirls!" Obviously this game was not intended for me, so I never played it. But now I gotta wonder, how much Grab Them By The Pussy dialogue actually showed up with no girls around to spoil the good times?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

There are some that hold up. Mostly the ones that were a simple concept, executed well. Like, a bunch of old platformers are still just as fun to play now as when they were new. Like, I'll still play HERO for the Atari 2600 every now and then. And one day I'll manage to beat it.

That was impressive though. It's hard to see why, looking at it from a modern perspective, but when you were used to the video games of the time it was obvious. And if you look at it in that context it's still interesting to see the progress of technology. Why should it be embarrassing to be impressed by things that are, at that time, impressive?

It was technically impressive but it looks like rear end now and it looked like rear end then. It's objectively hideous and the fact that early 3D titles were hideous in a way that no previous games were was always a really bad reason to pretend that they didn't look like hot garbage.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Das Boo posted:

Curious: When Gay Twink Monster Outing was announced, they said they wouldn't include a female character because "guys act different around giiiirls!" Obviously this game was not intended for me, so I never played it. But now I gotta wonder, how much Grab Them By The Pussy dialogue actually showed up with no girls around to spoil the good times?

none because they're all gay for men

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

spit on my clit posted:

none because they're all gay for men

Weird how that works, right?

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
Stephen Duffy's "Jane" is significantly better than the BNL version. I'm guessing this is an unpopular stance just based on the reactions I've had to the statement in the past. If it isn't, awesome.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Das Boo posted:

It's pretty basic Final Fantasy writing with like an attempt at modern casual back and forth that pops up once every twenty minutes because it's ostensibly a bachelor roadtrip. The closest it comes to any kind of lewd dialogue is one member of the boy band has a crush on the female mechanic you meet at the beginning of the game, but it's straight up 'adult man acting like a fifth grader' with how insanely chaste it all is despite the mechanic character dressing in daisy dukes and a tied up shirt showing off her bra.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
People posting gifs as a reply to posts on any forum anywhere should be a bannable offence, your gif sucks and so do you.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

ishikabibble posted:

It's pretty basic Final Fantasy writing with like an attempt at modern casual back and forth that pops up once every twenty minutes because it's ostensibly a bachelor roadtrip. The closest it comes to any kind of lewd dialogue is one member of the boy band has a crush on the female mechanic you meet at the beginning of the game, but it's straight up 'adult man acting like a fifth grader' with how insanely chaste it all is despite the mechanic character dressing in daisy dukes and a tied up shirt showing off her bra.

Maybe this is their way of dealing with the criticism that all their games with female protags are coincidentally their worst games. "Throw in some boobs for a 'no homo,' but otherwise nary a bitch in sight! GOLD!"

I could respect if they'd just said they wanted to tell a road tripping college teen boys story (forgot, Japan), but naw. They tried to pose it as in the interest of the quality and the realism of their dialogue.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Straight White Shark posted:

It was technically impressive but it looks like rear end now and it looked like rear end then. It's objectively hideous and the fact that early 3D titles were hideous in a way that no previous games were was always a really bad reason to pretend that they didn't look like hot garbage.

I didn't say it looked good. That cover steinrokkan posted says it "could be the best looking PC game of 1997" which is a lot of qualifiers but does imply that they think it looks good (at least in comparison to other games) but that wasn't the point I was making. Steinrokkan said that "it's embarrassing that we used to be impressed by that garbage", and it isn't. Whether it looked good or not, it was genuinely impressive and it's not embarrassing that we considered it impressive.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tarantula posted:

People posting gifs as a reply to posts on any forum anywhere should be a bannable offence, your gif sucks and so do you.

i know who you're talking about, and I agree.

Das Boo posted:

Maybe this is their way of dealing with the criticism that all their games with female protags are coincidentally their worst games. "Throw in some boobs for a 'no homo,' but otherwise nary a bitch in sight! GOLD!"

I could respect if they'd just said they wanted to tell a road tripping college teen boys story (forgot, Japan), but naw. They tried to pose it as in the interest of the quality and the realism of their dialogue.

if only you've seen how prompto looks at noctis. he knows that deep down, he's lying to himself

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

"Eat the rich" is a stupid phrase that sounds like it was coined by some edgy 10th grader who read that one Swift essay. I prefer "burn the rich."

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tarantula posted:

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Das Boo posted:

the roadtrip and setting is the only decent part of that game and it basically ends like 1/5 through the game, also i'm pretty sure the protag is either in or graduated from college and 2 of the dudes are a bit older than him the other is his best friend

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Das Boo posted:

The only good Final Fantasy has 3 female protagonists

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I agree, Tifa aerith and cross dressing Cloud

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Rinoa, Quistis and Selphie 😀

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Cecil, Lydia, and Edward

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

fruit on the bottom posted:

Cecil, Lydia, and Edward

Like, that's all a person's name?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Oh I thought we were naming the game with the best female protagonists

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

fruit on the bottom posted:

Oh I thought we were naming the game with the best female protagonists

I got confused and thought this was the terrible names thread :kiddo:

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Last names spotted recently: Courage, Conquest, Blood, Butt.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

All Final Fantasy games between 6 and 13 have exactly 3. Quina doesn't count.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
FFX's story sucked until the very end where instead of any rituals or traditions or other JRPG bullshit, they defeat the grand evil creature by blasting it with a giant loving gun, then beat the poo poo out of it until it dies. That owns.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I really liked X's story and Jecht is a cool guy

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

EmmyOk posted:

I really liked X's story and Jecht is a cool guy

I respect your right to have an opinion I don't agree with, but I will still exercise my right to laugh at it

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! AAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA!

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

FFX's story is actually good but completely tainted by the horrendous early voice acting. The sphere grid owned too and made FFX the very peak of the ATB system.

Oh and to the guy who said "the Japan numbers," uhhhh they're roman numerals my dude.

bradzilla has a new favorite as of 20:54 on Aug 28, 2017

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Final Fantasy VIII was the best one but Chrono Trigger is the greatest jrpg ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

bradzilla posted:

FFX's story is actually good but completely tainted by the horrendous early voice acting. The sphere grid owned too and made FFX the very peak of the ATB system.

Oh and to the guy who said "the Japan numbers," uhhhh they're roman numerals my dude.

He means the FF games pre-VII, where they only a few got translated and they were on their own numbering scheme...

FFII original US release is actually FFIV, FFIII is FFVI, etc.