Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

financially racist posted:

rogue squadron is extremely awesome however it was developed by factor 5, which is not a thing that exists anymore, so it is likely yet another great n64 game stuck in licensing hell

Disney let GOG have it so maybe there's a shot? You're definitely right in that it's a game with complicated licensing no doubt, especially for the N64 version of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

who knows? maybe disney would get the licensing back from whoever has it now. poo poo if they do that might as well go all-in and put episode 1 racer on there too.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Does the 8-bit do have a button that can act as the reset button?

I don't think this got answered, does anyone know? I heard down + select is like the home button on Switch for this controller, does it work the same way on the NES Classic as the reset button? (Thus likely working the same on SNES Classic)¿

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I don't think this got answered, does anyone know? I heard down + select is like the home button on Switch for this controller, does it work the same way on the NES Classic as the reset button? (Thus likely working the same on SNES Classic)¿

Yeah down and select should work. I don't have the receiver to test but it's a cool controller.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
If they use the same 512 MB drive that was in the NES Classic, you should be able to fit most of the North American library on there, right?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kevyn posted:

If they use the same 512 MB drive that was in the NES Classic, you should be able to fit most of the North American library on there, right?

And then some

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The saves probably take more space this time around if they're storing inputs back up to a couple minutes. Also I think maybe the manuals are actually on the device this time instead of just a qr code? Not sure about that one

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Personally I'd like to see Chameleon Twist on this hypothetical n64 classics. I miss that game.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The saves probably take more space this time around if they're storing inputs back up to a couple minutes. Also I think maybe the manuals are actually on the device this time instead of just a qr code? Not sure about that one

a couple minutes of inputs is like....2kb.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's good, but the manuals if those are in will take up a lot of space.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Kevyn posted:

The full SNES romset I have is almost 3 GB. Even separating out USA region games leaves it at 658 MB

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If you filter down to "desirable games" that gets a lot lower

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Al Borland Corp. posted:

If you filter down to "desirable games" that gets a lot lower

Yep. 0 MB.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Has there been any indication this will be as easy to hack as the NES Classic?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

TheManWithNoName posted:

Has there been any indication this will be as easy to hack as the NES Classic?

All speculation just based on the interface. I don't see why it won't be eventually though since it's a device that doesn't connect to the internet.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Kevyn posted:

The full USA ROMset is considerably more than that, and that could increase if you wanted to include some unreleased games (e.g. Seiken Densetsu 3, Star Ocean). You'd definitely have to whittle it down quite a lot, but there is quite a lot of cruft so it might not actually be too bad.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah I mean what percentage of that is lovely movie tie in games.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Yeah I mean what percentage of that is lovely movie tie in games.

If I can't put Home Improvement the video game on my SNES classic, I'll be livid.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Good soup! posted:

I was talking with my brother about games to put on the SNES classic once I got it and god drat I had completely forgotten about Lufia 2, that was pretty good back in the day but I haven't beaten it since the late 90s but I remember the soundtrack at least being dope as hell, is it a good rpg or is it going to be disappointing to go back and play it again

There's a lot of doofy, semi-unrelated quests. You spend a good bit of time arriving at a new place and solving all the problems there, even if it's not really related to your goals or the plot.

That, and several poorly-translated enemy and item names are my only complaints about it. It's really great IMO, and there's plenty of good things about it even now.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Thanks, that's good to hear, looking forward to playing through it again

AutomaticPrince
Jun 14, 2013
I found out a little tidbit about Toys R Us and the SNES classic some may find interesting. This may be a local policy but the one near me will set aside a portion of their stock for employee purchases. 1 per employee and it will be raffle based which employees get to buy one.

This could mean either they're expecting a decent enough supply that they can set aside a portion for employees. Or could have some fuckery on launch day.

(For the record, I don't mind this idea for the poor bastards stuck working retail)

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

AutomaticPrince posted:

I found out a little tidbit about Toys R Us and the SNES classic some may find interesting. This may be a local policy but the one near me will set aside a portion of their stock for employee purchases. 1 per employee and it will be raffle based which employees get to buy one.

This could mean either they're expecting a decent enough supply that they can set aside a portion for employees. Or could have some fuckery on launch day.

(For the record, I don't mind this idea for the poor bastards stuck working retail)

My gamestop straight up told me half their preorders went to employees.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Toys r us fact they aren't giving into the bullshit pre orders are making me choose them to go to on the 29th. Everything else about this is been a poo poo show

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Did they ever resolve the Hatchimals shortage and if so, what is Nintendo's excuse for their continuing shortages?

Sand Dan
May 15, 2017

welcum 2 our
sick cyberpunk h e l l

Jose Oquendo posted:

If I can't put Home Improvement the video game on my SNES classic, I'll be livid.

don't forget the official 7 Up video game, Cool Spot! :coolspot:

AutomaticPrince
Jun 14, 2013

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Did they ever resolve the Hatchimals shortage and if so, what is Nintendo's excuse for their continuing shortages?

I walked by a shelf of hatchimals at Target the other day. They either solved it or everyone stopped giving a gently caress.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Sand Dan posted:

don't forget the official 7 Up video game, Cool Spot! :coolspot:

IIRC, that's not a bad platformer at all. Wasn't it made by the dudes at Virgin who did the good Disney games and then went to make Shiny?

Sand Dan
May 15, 2017

welcum 2 our
sick cyberpunk h e l l
I don't know the details, but I def liked it back in the day and it's very Earthworm Jim like and I lol at the licensed stuff on SNES bc at least we were still sort of in the phase of "ambitious failures" for video games that were about soda and fast food and candy

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Tbf, Sneak King was better than it had any right to be.

AutomaticPrince
Jun 14, 2013
Cool Spot was fun from what I remember. The Yo! Noid game was pure trash though.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Hatchimania resolved itself when people realized it was ~10 seconds of quasi excitement as they initially hatched.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

They are a QR code again, several previews have shown it. No worries about the manuals taking up precious game space.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Good soup! posted:

I was talking with my brother about games to put on the SNES classic once I got it and god drat I had completely forgotten about Lufia 2, that was pretty good back in the day but I haven't beaten it since the late 90s but I remember the soundtrack at least being dope as hell, is it a good rpg or is it going to be disappointing to go back and play it again

gonna sperg a bit about this, since Lufia 2 is one of my favorite games of all time.

The original Lufia was an early SNES game and had major flaws, the biggest being that targeting the same enemy with multiple characters, if the first hit killed it, the other characters would whiff the empty space instead of auto-targeting another enemy. Lufia 2 fixed this, and improved upon the original in basically every way(though I'd still recommend the original). Lufia 2 tells the full story of the prologue characters in Lufia 1, expanding upon them and not rewriting it, which I really appreciated. It adds new things to the combat like the capsule beasts and such, and combat moves at a fast pace, with you setting commands for your party members and then letting things play out in order. Honestly I felt as far as RPGs of the era go, it was on par with the likes of Final Fantasy 6 and Chrono Trigger, definitely one of the best of the SNES generation.

The biggest gameplay thing I remember from it, though, was the Ancient Cave. The Ancient Cave was an entire roguelike minigame built into Lufia 2, where you would enter a dungeon with 99 floors, and start with zero loot, spells, and characters start at level 1. Monsters scaled up as you went along, of course, but the biggest thing was chests. Chests could hold any item on most floors, including endgame spells on level 1, for example. You could get screwed by not finding any healing items/spells and being too triggerhappy with combat, or save up your mana to cast an endgame attack spell to get out of a tight jam early on. Mimics could really ruin your day if you were bad at picking them out amongst the regular chests. And at the end, you fought the boss of the Ancient Cave, a massive jelly who runs away after 3 turns if you don't beat it by then. The dungeon also had Blue Chests, which held items you could leave the cave with and come back with(and had mimic versions that very easily can wipe even the strongest parties), leading to progressively easier runs later on. It was kinda Rogue Legacy-ish decades before Rogue Legacy, in RPG form, and no game has ever even attempted to try to recreate the magic of it as far as I know. I spent HUNDREDS of hours playing the ancient cave as a kid, poo poo was revolutionary at the time. Still is, I guess, since nobody's replicated it.

People speedrun Ancient Cave runs nowadays, and they can be a blast to see, since there's a lot of mechanics and strategies you have to understand before attempting one. This fella's a longtime pro of AC speedruns:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6BnmqhXK5w&hd=1

And the soundtrack of Lufia 2 is definitely one of the best of all time. Energetic, unique, and dramatic as loving hell, it stands out amidst an era of amazing OSTs. Rather than going for an apocalyptic, tragic-tone to its music, almost everything was energetic, fit to be set to rock music. It brought back and improved the iconic theme of the first game, The Last Duel, which to this day is still my favorite "SAVE THE WORLD, HEROES!" theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsIXvHteoK0

There was a reimagining of Lufia 2 for the DS that changed a lot of things, but it included orchestral versions of the music, and their version of The Last Duel was very good too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1Rze9hwdto

The final boss theme was loving incredible, too. All of the boss themes were, but the Battle Against The Sinistrals theme was amazing. 100% pure "THIS IS THE FINAL RPG BOSS, STOP HIM OR HE WILL DESTROY THE WORLD" music, but less orchestra like say a Dancing Mad, and more heavy metal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBnYGYa6l3M

Again, lends itself to remixing as heavy metal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJgZ0eSj1qw

another boss theme, covered by the incredibly talented Johnny Atma:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABwEvYbzSvE

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

AutomaticPrince posted:

Cool Spot was fun from what I remember. The Yo! Noid game was pure trash though.

I think that was a just a re-skin of another Capcom game from Japan.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RodShaft posted:

My gamestop straight up told me half their preorders went to employees.

I'm okay with that really. Keeps them happy with a single decent perk in the face of general retail bullshit, stops units "disappearing" for customers.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

gonna sperg a bit about this, since Lufia 2 is one of my favorite games of all time.

drat, thanks for that. My brother loves that rouge like dungeon so much but I don't think I ever messed around with it. I had no idea there was a DS game too. The one thing I remember the most is the general boss theme, it was like Natsume or whoever made it took a hint from Capcom with figuring out how to get that rock guitar sound trough the SNES sound chip that was :krad:

My brother had the same thoughts on it that you did and I'm glad it's not just nostalgia, can't wait to play it again

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Some user on reddit reported that best buy canceled his order. Apparently they oversold pre-orders?

Man whoever said it a few pages ago was tight. It's just not a snes classic experience unless you've got an preorder canceled!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm on my like 3rd canceled preorder! I hope one of the others I have actually sticks!!!!!!

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Got an email from Walmart this morning saying that the release date has been changed from 10/6 to 9/29. I placed two separate orders, but only got this update on one. I wonder if this means the other was cancelled, which would suck since I'd hoped to grab it for a friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Morby posted:

Got an email from Walmart this morning saying that the release date has been changed from 10/6 to 9/29. I placed two separate orders, but only got this update on one. I wonder if this means the other was cancelled, which would suck since I'd hoped to grab it for a friend.

I got the same message which worries me because I got a similar message a few hours before they canceled my last pre-order.