Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Come Drink With Me (1966) 4/5
SPL (Kill Zone) (2005) 3/5 - Decent and does some interesting things with the heroic bloodshed film. Totally worth it for the last two fights, Donnie Yen vs Wu Jing and Sammo Hung
SPL2: A Time for Consequences (Kill Zone 2) (2015) 4/5
A Brighter Summer Day (1991) 5/5
Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981) 3/5
The Mission (1999) 4/5 - The music is really good and the film has neat rhythm to it for the genre. Too bad the dvd looks like rear end
Wolf Warrior (2015) 2/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

First timer here:

Twin Peaks (season 1) - 86/100 - Highly original, incredibly compelling and humorous. Prime melodrama with a slightly compromised vision, likely due to how dark it's actual themes are.

Twin Peaks (season 2) - 69/100 - Sort of kneecaps itself after Lynch departs. Spends a lot of time spinning its wheels, but not without its moments. Contains some absolutely essential moments in preparation for...

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me - 90/100 - Absolutely terrifying and heart-wrenching. Benefits from the tv series lore but also sort of overwrites it in a more grounded way, though I think viewing it without watching season 1 at least would make FWWM nearly impenetrable, but part of me is curious what a cold watch would've felt like. That being said, it's basically Mulholland Drive's older cousin from out of town. Too bad Sherilyn Fenn didn't have a cameo. Incredible stuff though, both riveting and unbearable.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Baby Face (1933): A
Blow-up (1966, rewatch): D

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Five Came Back (2017, Laurent Bouzereau) - 4/5 [Netflix]
Let There Be Light (1946, John Huston) - 5/5 [Netflix]
Why We Fight: Prelude to War (1942, Frank Capra) - 4/5 [Netflix]

MST3K Live: (5/5 for show)
Eegah (1962, Arch Hall) - 1.5/5
Argoman: The Fantastic Superman (1967, Sergio Grieco) - 1/5

Straw Dogs (1971, Sam Peckinpah) - 4.5/5 [Blu-ray]
Stop Making Sense (1984, Jonathan Demme) - 5/5 [Blu-ray - rewatch]
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (1984, Hayao Miyazaki) - 5/5 [Blu-ray - English dubbed]
Zaza (1923, Allan Dwan) - 3/5 [Blu-ray]
The Party (1968, Blake Edwards) - 4/5 [DVD - rewatch]

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Eegah is the rare movie where I can't tell what it's trying to be. It's not really an attempted horror film or a failed comedy, it's just sort of a movie.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
To Live and Die in LA
3/4? It was pretty unusual and cool but there were a few loose plot threads who shot the chinese guy? The fbi wouldnt shoot their own guy... but still a strong movie and great look

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Scores out of 100.

A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence (2014) - 86
Night of the Living Dead (1968) - 76
The Searchers (1956) - 60
Rawhide (1951) - 85
La Sapienza (2014) - 87
The Wolf of Wall Street (2013) - 90
In the Heat of the Night (1967) - 86

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Why so down on Searchers?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Egbert Souse posted:

Straw Dogs (1971, Sam Peckinpah) - 4.5/5 [Blu-ray]
Stop Making Sense (1984, Jonathan Demme) - 5/5 [Blu-ray - rewatch]
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (1984, Hayao Miyazaki) - 5/5 [Blu-ray - English dubbed]
Zaza (1923, Allan Dwan) - 3/5 [Blu-ray]
The Party (1968, Blake Edwards) - 4/5 [DVD - rewatch]

Hell, just give me all of them.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

got any sevens posted:

Why so down on Searchers?
The racism made me grumpy and the tonal shifts lost me.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I think the racism was the point

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

got any sevens posted:

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Logan Lucky - 5/5

As close to a perfect heist movie you can get. It never stopped being funny, it never stopped being interesting, at some points it felt like it never stops, but when it does, you kind of wish it kept going. I would watch the continuing adventures of Logan and Clyde and the Ocean's 7/11 gang.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

got any sevens posted:

Yeah, and it made me grumpy. So?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

got any sevens posted:

The exploration of Ethan's racism is often fascinating, but just as irritating to watch, and all the Look stuff is poo poo.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

The racism made me grumpy and the tonal shifts lost me.
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of any of the humor in this movie.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
It also doesn't help that the main lesson about racism in the film is that I guess he got over it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Samuel Clemens posted:

Hell, just give me all of them.

Straw Dogs - This is a fascinating film for how it manipulates your expectations. I found the film uncomfortable, but that's the point. It's a film about the dark side of humanity in the worst way. Having the lead character be an intellectual played by Dustin Hoffman is brilliant because you expect him to be above what the other characters do, except he's not. At the same time, Susan George's character almost seems masochistic and naive. Is it misogynistic? I think the rape scene is the logical conclusion to showing a woman in a broken marriage desperate for affection. Does she actually enjoy it first? I don't think the film answers that, but it shows the sort of darkness the hides beneath the surface. This is less a western, but more of a horror film. The lighting is natural and often subdued, but the real technical star is the editing. After the rape, the film uses brief multi-frame cuts to display Amy's trauma. Overall, I think Peckinpah was trying to make a film that makes the audience uncomfortable to prove a point - evil isn't something reserved for mustache-twirling villains, it's something we're all capable of and it's best we don't try to pretend it's not.

Stop Making Sense - After a grueling film like Straw Dogs, I needed a film that was a bit more uplifting. What better than the Talking Heads concert film? This strips down sound and vision to the essentials to let the performance take center stage. I love how the film opens with David Byrne playing Psycho Killer on an empty stage with just an acoustic guitar and a boombox playing a synth drum track. For a quarter of the film, each successive song adds more. Heaven adds Tiny Weymouth on bass, Thank You For Sending Me an Angel adds Chris Frantz on drums, Jerry Harrison joins in with his guitar on Found a Job, and the rest of the band comes in on Slippery People. No fancy costumes besides Byrne's big suit on Girlfriend is Better. Not even that much of a stage setting, with each song having its own unique lighting treatment. If performance was the most important thing at the concert, the film adds another layer - light. This is particularly obvious on Once in a Lifetime, which uses one key light to make Byrne look like a living shadow or the way he dances with a lamp on Naive Melody. This film is an absolute joy to watch and one of my go-to films for when I'm feeling down.

Nausicca of the Valley of the Wind - Every Miyazaki film I see becomes one of my favorites and this isn't an exception. What I love about his films is how he never lets plots become formulaic and obvious. He's not afraid to humanize antagonists instead of making them... well, cartoons. More so, I love how he excels at making strong women central to his films. Nausicaa is a brilliant character with so many nuances and quirks. You get an idea of her character immediately when she first appears. Instead of wasting time on romance, every moment of the film is used to build the plot or characters. For being a somewhat long film for animation (almost two hours), there's not a slow moment in the film. Of course, the animation and art design itself is absolutely splendid. It's amazing that this was made in the first half of the 80s, since it hasn't aged one fraction. There's also some genuinely beautiful moments, especially Nausicaa feared dead and being healed by the Ohms, all set to Handel's Sarabande. Perfection isn't something that happens often in cinema, but Miyazaki is one director that has made it his career to make perfect films.

Zaza - A "dramedy" starring Gloria Swanson. She plays a dancer who falls in love with a married man, except she doesn't know until it's too late. Perhaps not the most complex plot, but Swanson is fantastic in her role. There's also a "cat fight" that has to be seen to believed (and was allegedly done in one take, as duplicate props/costumes weren't available). Not one of the best silents I've seen, but worth seeing.

The Party - The first thing I'll get out of the way is the apparent racism of having Peter Sellers play an Indian actor. On the surface, it can look offensive, but Sellers gets so deep into character that he transcends stereotypes in favor of making a sympathetic character that happens to be Indian. The idea is that Hrundi is a fish out of water in the worst way. Taken out of his homeland to make American films, he's awkward by design. Obviously, a 90 minute film mostly made up of improvisation would never have been made at the time had Edwards cast an actual Indian actor, but Sellers is brilliant here and plays with total respect, with none of his comedy resulting from his race. Blake Edwards is obviously taking inspiration from the lengthy restaurant scene in Tati's Playtime, but favored working out things on the spot instead of laboriously working them out over years like Tati did. While this isn't exactly as brilliant as anything Tati did, there's enough to find funny here. There's some great running gags like a waiter that gets progressively more drunk, control panels that cause more destruction than convenience, and a bunch of supporting characters with their own quirks. I do think Blake Edwards too easily falls for overwrought comedy as if he's a bit too caught up in finding his own work to be funny, but it works here.

MST3K Live - I was a bit puzzled by Eegah being chosen for the first show since it's one of the best episodes of the original show, but drat if they didn't come up with another set of jokes just as funny. While Felicia Day and Patton Oswalt appeared via pre-recorded video (which is immediately mocked), Jonah and the Bots were there in person. What's amazing is watching a live MST3K episode with a packed audience (at least 1400 people) takes it to a new level. More proof that comedy is best when shared. The second feature was the inexplicable Argoman: The Fantastic Superman, which is just about one of the worst movies I've ever seen. The riffing is spot-on. Argoman switches robes half a dozen times in the first quarter of the film (and is immediately mocked in a host segment). This wins the award for best movie experience I've ever had in my life.

Five Came Back/Let There Be Light/Prelude to War - Five Came Back is a terrific look at the film unit of the War Department during WWII. It focuses on Frank Capra, William Wyler, John Huston, John Ford, and George Stevens. Lots of clips, plus each director has another modern director being their advocate (Guillermo del Toro on Capra, Paul Greengrass on Ford, Steven Spielberg on Wyler, Lawrence Kasdan on Stevens, and Francis Ford Coppola on Huston). There's a ton of footage used from the films, ranging from Capra's Why We Fight series to Huston's Let There Be Light. There's a lot of fascinating bits, but also morbid. Stevens had photographed carnage at D-Day and later at concentration camps like Dachau. Years later, he finally went back to look at his footage... and immediately put it back after a few minutes.

I also watched Let There Be Light and the first Why We Fight installment Prelude to War. Light is a masterpiece from John Huston, with an incredible humanistic look at PTSD. It's terrible to think the government found it unpatriotic since it's actually the opposite. It puts mental illness in a mature, loving light and shows soldiers recovering as if they've conquered death. Prelude to War is impressive for being mostly made up of seized footage from German, Italian, and Japanese films, but turning their own propaganda against themselves. Both are essential.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The Violent Men (1955): B+
The Mesa of Lost Women (1953): F

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Logan Lucky: 3/4, script isnt as tight as Ocean's 11 but it has some nice distinct touches

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I just watched Blade runner for the first time ever.

Things Blade runner has taught me :

Edward james olmos is a skeevy creepy motherfucker who makes my skin crawl

The scene in the freezer is awesome,i love the way Rutger haeur is lit and the way his coat gets frostier as the scene goes on

Rutger haeur is mesmerizing and steals every scene

Daryl Hannah was great as a proto android Harley

deckards apartment is an abomination

I noticed deckards eyes were orange in the bathroom scene

The android chase scene was great especially the squibs and falling through the glass, as was the next guys headshot

The entire abandoned apartment was beautiful I loved it,and rutger hauer smashing his head through the bathroom wall was hilarious

the ending was great

Edit : A+

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 29, 2017

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Witness for the Prosecution (1957): Great storyline that keeps you captivated, a lot of comedy, and a fantastic ending. If you're into court-room movies, give this one a watch.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I just watched Blade runner for the first time ever.

Things Blade runner has taught me :

Edward james olmos is a skeevy creepy motherfucker who makes my skin crawl

The scene in the freezer is awesome,i love the way Rutger haeur is lit and the way his coat gets frostier as the scene goes on

Rutger haeur is mesmerizing and steals every scene

Daryl Hannah was great as a proto android Harley

deckards apartment is an abomination

I noticed deckards eyes were orange in the bathroom scene

The android chase scene was great especially the squibs and falling through the glass, as was the next guys headshot

The entire abandoned apartment was beautiful I loved it,and rutger hauer smashing his head through the bathroom wall was hilarious

the ending was great

What version did you watch on this maiden voyage? Director's? Final Cut?

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Sightseers (2102) didn't work for me. It has strong scenes and a great performance by Alice Lowe, but as a story it leaves too many questions open. What motivates Chris? He comes across as a likeable if irritable good-natured person, but later later turns out to be dishonest and scheming. Why? I like the idea of a British Falling Down, basically a mean road-movie and this could have been it. Ah, well.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Bed Sitting Room (1969, Richard Lester) - 4/5 [Filmstruck]

Bizarre depiction of post-apocalyptic London with dry, dry humor. It's hilarious to see respected actors like Ralph Richardson and Michael Hordern treat the surrealistic dialogue like it's nothing unusual. I'm trying to catch up on Lester's 60s films since what I've seen so far is mostly terrific (A Hard Day's Night, Help!, and A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum are all great).

MST3K:
Deathstalker and the Warriors of Hell - Episode: 4/5 | Movie: 1.5/5
12 to the Moon - Episode: 4/5 | Movie: 2.5/5
Space Mutiny - Episode: 5/5 | Movie: 1/5
Girl in Gold Boots - Episode: 5/5 | Movie: 3/5

I was surprised how 12 to the Moon wasn't that bad of a movie, but it's really obvious they had zero budget for effects. Deathstalker and Space Mutiny are both awful movies, but the latter is one of the best episodes of the entire MST3K series. Girl in Gold Boots is one I have a soft spot for because it's such a sleazy film, but in the best way. Also one of the best MST3K episodes.

Also, almost done with the original Twin Peaks (probably going to watch the last 3 episodes during my travel tomorrow).

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

What version did you watch on this maiden voyage? Director's? Final Cut?

It was the final cut according to the DVD cover, I haven't watched any of the extras yet but I will soon.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Blazing Saddles (1974, rewatch): A
Moonraker (1979, rewatch): C-

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Out of 100.

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
(2007) - 90
What We Do in the Shadows (2014) - 82
Johnny Guitar (1954) - 88
High Plains Drifter (1973) - 84
Creed (2015) - 88
The Legend of Drunken Master (1994) - 83
10 Cloverfield Lane (2016) - 86
Midnight in Paris (2011) - 79
Thunderbolt and Lightfoot (1974) - 78
Meek's Cutoff (2010) - 89

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
It Comes at Night (2017) dir. Trey Edward Shults 8/10
Paths of Glory (1957) dir. Stanley Kubrick 10/10
Manchester by the Sea (2016) dir. Kenneth Lonergan 9/10
Dunkirk (2017) dir. Christopher Nolan 7.5/10
The Room (2003) dir. Tommy Wiseau 8/10
The Big Sick (2017) dir. Michael Showalter 8/10
The Silenced (2015) dir. Hae-young Lee 7/10
I'm happy to elaborate on the rest of these films as well but am electing to mention this one regardless because I feel like it's likely to go under the radar, and in particular because I've never been so frustrated by the good aspects of a movie being so wrapped up in something otherwise so underwhelming.

In particular, the good is that almost every shot of this movie is really well-crafted and interesting, the set-up is genuinely unnerving and disturbing, and the dynamic and chemistry between the two female leads (effectively a lesbian story without it ever being explicit/overt) is so good. However the pay-off to all the above is simultaneously over-the-top and generic (a rare combination...) and altogether dissatisfying and it really loses steam in the third Act in a way which taints the earlier parts as well. This is on Netflix so if you're looking for a Korean horror movie to watch on a lark I recommend this, but it's so irritating because the good (which I think is very, very good) is also mixed with trash; can't think of a movie in recent history I've wanted to be able to recommend more.
The Devil's Advocate (1997) dir. Taylor Hackford 7.5/10
When Harry Met Sally (1989) dir. Rob Reiner 8.5/10
Death Note (2017) dir. Adam Wingard 8/10

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Wind River - 5/5 Elizabeth Olsen and Jeremy Renner deliver. Favorite movie since Hell or High Water, which makes since it's the same writer (he also did Sicario). Brooding and emotional in just the right ways.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hell or High Water totally snuck up on me, so can't wait for the home release of Wind River. Looks so my jam, and I'm not one of these people who hates Renner's face which is a bonus.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I went in blind and in the first 10 minutes I was laughing at him being type cast again only to walk out thinking he might get an Oscar nod. Really impressed.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Westworld (1973): B+
2001: A Space Odyssey (1968, rewatch): A

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Hell or High Water totally snuck up on me, so can't wait for the home release of Wind River. Looks so my jam, and I'm not one of these people who hates Renner's face which is a bonus.

Haven't seen HoHW but I absolutely loved Sicario, so I'll definitely catch this on 2nd run.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
68 Kill - 3/5

This is a greasy, grimey, gross little crime thriller that reminds me a lot of Killer Joe. The film takes place in Trailerville, Trashtown. Chip is a down-on-his luck loser who pumps septic tanks part time. He lives with Liza, a sex worker who pays most of the bills by sleeping with her main rich sugar daddy. Liza hatches a plot to steal $68,000 from the sugar daddy but, predictably, things don't go so well.

I enjoyed my time with 68 Kill while at the same time finding it fairly lurid and sleazy. There's plenty of gore, plenty of violence against women, possibly some implied sexual violence against a male character, and a fairly nihilistic-yet-comical worldview. It definitely takes a lot of cues from early Coen films and early Tarantino and maintains a black comedy posture throughout. It has some genuinely funny moments and some real tension to it. The director, Trenta Haaga, has roots in Troma films and I would say he skews much closer to Troma than, say, Blood Simple or Reservoir Dogs.

Unfortunately, I've recently seen I Can't Feel At Home In This World Anymore by Macon Blair, Green Room by Jeremy Saulnier, and Lost River by Ryan Gosling. All three are crime thrillers that take place in depressed areas or with characters struggling with poverty. ICFAHITWA is a gory crime thriller while also being emotional and charming, unlike 68K. GR is a crime thriller (really just a thriller) with better directed tension and terror than 68K. And LR is a crime thriller with stunning visuals and an artistic flair missing from 68K.

So, all in all, I had fun with 68 Kill, but I don't expect to remember it by next year. It was competently made, showed some style, but ultimately, should Haaga find long-lasting success as a director, I think it will always exist as a technically just-okay freshman effort rather than a cult classic. But hey, there's nothing wrong with that! I would definitely watch his next one to see where he ends up next.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Inland Empire - 77/100
Good Time - 87/100
We Need to Talk About Kevin - 78/100
Miami Vice - 89/100 (rewatch)
Columbus - 79/100

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Residue: 7.5/10

This movie is a lot better than I expected. It's hokey and low budget and you realize that it's very self-aware and pokes fun of itself, sometimes in pretty sly ways such as the actor who played Max Headroom spends most of the movie as a Talking Head(less corpse), or having Cancer Man from the X-Files reprise his old role because why the hell not.

The main plot is something something there's this guy and he ends up reading this magic book that eats people or something, it's pretty confusing for most of the movie but ties together well, and the ending was refreshing in that I didn't expect it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Phantom of the Paradise (1974, Brian DiPalma) - 4.75/5 [Blu-ray]

This has to be one of the most fun movies I've seen in a while. Great performances from the leads, awesome soundtrack, and candy-colored visuals. I can understand why it's a cult classic because it's such a fearless film with every trick in the book. Easily the best "version" of Phantom of the Opera by far.

Twin Peaks (1989-1991, various) - 3/5 to 5/5 [Netflix]
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (1992, David Lynch) - 4/5 [Amazon Prime] (rewatch)
Twin Peaks: The Return (2017, David Lynch) - 4.5/5 [Amazon Prime]

Over the last two months, I watched all of the original Twin Peaks, followed by a rewatch of FWWM, then binged on the new series over the weekend. This is one of the most unique shows I've seen and that's not even counting the epic of this year. Even the frankly idiotic plots of the latter half of Season 2 are forgivable because it works as a whole. You really get to know these characters and even when the plot doesn't make sense, I was hooked. The new series takes everything even further, almost acting as Lynch's "ninth symphony" because it distills everything his films have been about into one singular work. On one end of the spectrum, you have dark and creepy images that stick with you like exploded heads... then you have bizarre slow-burn comedy as if Jacques Tati directed a Coen Bros. script (and every bit as funny). There's also one episode with a lengthy, haunting depiction of "evil" being born out of the first atomic bomb, followed by what could easily be a continuation of Eraserhead. As for the ending? I think it meant that...

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Highway to Hell should be seen because it's a nice showcase of the extremely hellish places in Northern Arizona, and some of the extremely beautiful ones as well (although they don't linger there much). Also it's so absurd that you have to see it or you will think people describing it are making poo poo up.

It (2017) should be seen for the nice "teens hanging out in a small town in the summer and learning the value of friendship" parts that ultimately made the movie worthwhile to me even if the horror was extremely tepid.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Aguirre, The Wrath of God
5/5, it was electrifying despite appearing subdued

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
It - B+

I was honestly quite pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed It. The acting was solid all around, and the scary factor was effectively amped up from the original. It did still have darkly comedic moments, but they never got in the way of the overall feeling. I've only ever seen the original film and have never read the original text, so I can't speak to whether or not it's a faithful interpretation, but I suppose it's still admirable to see how much it changed with the advent of better filming tools and techniques. Not sure how much of this is a spoiler, but it was interesting to see how they never showed the kids as adults, and that they merely hinted at Pennywise being a big spider-like creature. However, upon seeing Chapter One at the end credits - implying that there will be more chapters - I was a bit disheartened, because I hate when studios do that to movies based on principal. I guess I'll go and see the following chapters when they come out, albeit grudgingly.