Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
radlum
May 13, 2013
So...Cersei didn't have a miscarriage right? Was that leak from an actual script page and it was removed from this episode (so we can expect it to come out in Season 8)? or was it just speculation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

radlum posted:

So...Cersei didn't have a miscarriage right? Was that leak from an actual script page and it was removed from this episode (so we can expect it to come out in Season 8)? or was it just speculation?

It was a leak from Friki so probably a last minute cut. Why? Maybe HBO didn't want to have it in there because of potential controversy overshadowing the talking points of season 7. Maybe the writers decided Cersei and Dany being pregnant at the same time would provide much needed poetry as it rhymes.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

VanillaGorilla posted:

People probably shouldn't take those "leaked" s8 scripts too seriously - there are some pretty major internal inconsistencies in them. For example, they have Howland Reid both dying in ep. 3 and also having scenes with Jon in ep. 4 (non-flashback). It's pretty clearly someone's fan fiction produced after reading the S7 spoilers.

you are the 5678th person to bring that up and I'm the the 5678th person to mention that the leaked S7 plot outlines contained similar inconsistencies

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
The Theon scene was legitimately bizzarre. I still don't really know what they were going for. Every single beat was muddled and odd and bad.

But then I think everyone got distracted by an even more confusing frowning Tyrion standing outside the room for the entire time.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

VagueRant posted:

The Theon scene was legitimately bizzarre. I still don't really know what they were going for. Every single beat was muddled and odd and bad.

But then I think everyone got distracted by an even more confusing frowning Tyrion standing outside the room for the entire time.

It was to show that what he thought were his weaknesses were actually his greatest strength. I think I speak for all men when I say we live our lives in fear of being kicked in the balls and that fear over shadows almost all of the decisions we make. When Theon jumped off that boat earlier this season a lot of people gave him poo poo and called him a coward but I understood where he was coming from. That old fear of being kicked in the balls held him back. It wasn't until someone actually kicked him square where his nuts should be that it finally dawned on him that he was free now, he didn't have to be afraid of someone lining up a perfect knee to the gonads and dropping him like a sack of potatoes.

It was actually a really moving scene for me personally.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Haha yep they really have changed Westeros to be the size of England. Two weeks for the Dothraki to go from Kings Landing to Winterfell.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Pump it up! Do it! posted:

Haha yep they really have changed Westeros to be the size of England. Two weeks for the Dothraki to go from Kings Landing to Winterfell.

To be fair it took Robert a month with his big gently caress off carriages and slow rear end retinue. Reminder that Catelyn arrived in KL's before Ned when she rode with Rodrick to White Harbor and took a ship from there so two weeks for a 100% mounted force seems fair enough.

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account
Arya now has Littlefingers face and can get close to Cersei.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Pump it up! Do it! posted:

The Mongols managed up to 1000 km in a week during the invasion of Russia and Hungary (using the perfect steppe from Asia right down into Hungary for this). Of course the Dothraki are only the poor man's lovely Mongols....

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Rojo_Sombrero posted:

Arya now has Littlefingers face and can get close to Cersei.

The face of someone who betrayed Cersei and was publicly executed might not be such a great disguise.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

The Grey posted:

Hey guys - Anyone else notice that the ice dragon has holes in his wings now? So how is it flying? This show is so unrealistic.

Those are speed holes

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Nice touch

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?

I don't know what I'm supposed to be seeing here.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Sdoots posted:

I'm seeing a man severely overdressed for the climate.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Sdoots posted:

Look at the shoulder, the dothraki have been looting lannister armour.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Look at the shoulder, the dothraki have been looting lannister armour.

Which makes no sense at all, as the Dothraki don't wear armor on principle and not because they can't afford it.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Funky See Funky Do posted:

So why the didn't either of them say something earlier? Everything that happened in Winterfell this season was done entirely to set up this dumb fake out scene whether it made any sense or not.

:psyduck:

They have no idea what to do with any of these characters is the simplest answer. D&D just want to get to the 'rocks fall everyone dies' ending at this point.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

you are the 5678th person to bring that up and I'm the the 5678th person to mention that the leaked S7 plot outlines contained similar inconsistencies

The bigger issue is that there's no way a minor character that 99% of the viewing audience isn't even aware of will have a role to play in the final six episodes. All the players are on the board so to speak. Whether or not Howland Reed will play some role in the books is irrelevant, in the show Sam has figured out Jon's true parentage and the Citadel can back it up. Howland Reed is a redundancy that they are simply not going to bother with.

Fan fiction.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Is Tormund dead what the heck

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

DrNutt posted:

The bigger issue is that there's no way a minor character that 99% of the viewing audience isn't even aware of will have a role to play in the final six episodes. All the players are on the board so to speak. Whether or not Howland Reed will play some role in the books is irrelevant, in the show Sam has figured out Jon's true parentage and the Citadel can back it up. Howland Reed is a redundancy that they are simply not going to bother with.

Fan fiction.

You mean like Dickon? The guy they bought in for two episodes just so they could have a scene of Khalesi burning him alive? They're absolutely not above bringing in some rando characters for an episode or two if it gives the a cheap and easy way to do a scene they want to do.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Vitamin P posted:

Is Tormund dead what the heck

NO

Jesus christ, until you see a body, you always assume they're alive. Have you seen fiction before?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Jon demonstrated fire and dargonglass but conveniently left out valyrian steel. If anyone has a lot of valyrian steel stuff around its probably the Lannisters, cmon Jon.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

WampaLord posted:

NO

Jesus christ, until you see a body, you always assume they're alive. Have you seen fiction before?

Can't wait for Stannis to win this Game of Thrones

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Funky See Funky Do posted:

You mean like Dickon? The guy they bought in for two episodes just so they could have a scene of Khalesi burning him alive? They're absolutely not above bringing in some rando characters for an episode or two if it gives the a cheap and easy way to do a scene they want to do.

Sam's family was introduced in season 6 so we could see what a terrible rear end in a top hat his dad was. The Tarlys were referred to as a major house and important to the Lannister's war efforts.

Howland Reed is a character only book readers could name, father of the girl who stuck with Bran for five seasons only to dip out this season to, quoting the leaked episode outline here, "walk out of the room and the story." With Sam learning the truth about Jon via the Citadel and Broogle, there is pretty much zero reason for them to introduce a major character (and explain to the show audience why exactly he's so important) this late in the game.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Soul Glo posted:

Can't wait for Stannis to win this Game of Thrones

Exceptions are given for characters that we trust confirming a death via dialogue. Though there were plenty of "Stannis is still alive!!!!" believers for a while, so thanks for proving my point.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

WampaLord posted:

NO

They explicitly show him and Beric getting out of the blast zone on the western side of the wall that still stands. They are presumably running to Castle Black, where they will send a Raven to alert Winterfell.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

drunken officeparty posted:

Jon demonstrated fire and dargonglass but conveniently left out valyrian steel. If anyone has a lot of valyrian steel stuff around its probably the Lannisters, cmon Jon.

Valyrian steel kills the white walkers, not the wights, but they didn't really get brought up at all for no apparent reason.

"Well, you brought proof of the dead walking, but we have yet to see one of these, white walkers you speak of."

Jon - "she's raht, we've gaht to assemble the team ahgain and capture a waht wahlker or they won't believe the threat is real."

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

WampaLord posted:

NO

To be fair, his placement in the scene is a really muddled. We get the shot where he yells at everyone to run, followed by a snippet of him running along the wall while it's coming apart behind him. He turns around in that latter shot, and you see the collapse stop which heavily implies he's safe on the still intact western edge, but then it cuts back to more footage of Viserion tearing poo poo apart. There should be a reaction shot where he and Beric watch the army of the dead march through the breach, but I guess the show runners prefer an obviously false cliffhanger over narrative coherence.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's actually quite clear.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

There are very few Valyrian steel weapons in the world, and the Lannisters didn't have any until Tywin melted down Ned's sword. It's still an oversight not to mention them, but I think there are a total of, like... five Valyrian weapons in the show? Jon, Jaime, Brienne, and Sam's swords along with Arya's dagger. I think that's it.

Vintersorg posted:

It's actually quite clear.

I would have said the same, but I've seen a bunch of people speculating on his death. I guess you could just call them idiots, but I do think the scene could be cut together better.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

The morale of this season is that the world would be a better place if more men were gay. Prevents incest, corruption, rebellion and war the safe way.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

The Lannisters had famously been trying and failing to buy valyrian steel for years until they captured Ned and got Ice from him.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah it's weird they only talk about the dead. Like it's terrifying, but they're stupid and can't swim.

I guess everyone just knows the tales of the white walkers and this implies all of that? They kind of eluded to that.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Shame the Wall coming down had no impact because all the characters decided a few episodes ago that the ultimate battle would take place in Winterfell - a keep easily detoured around OR starved out by a zombie army.

Seriously, why were the characters not talking about getting the armies all to the Wall and making a big deal that it was obviously their best defense and position? Such a small thing that would've vastly improved the plot point.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I'm confused why did Danny and John need Cersei's help in the first place? I thought they massacred most of the Lannister army like, 3 episodes ago which is why Cersei is desperate to hire the Golden Company? Seems like with the magic teleportationthat Danny's army has, she could easy take Kings Landing and finish the war then and there before heading up north.

This also would have negated the Night King's ice dragon, as his other plan was to apparently to march to the wall and..stare at it?

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 28, 2017

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

VagueRant posted:

Shame the Wall coming down had no impact because all the characters decided a few episodes ago that the ultimate battle would take place in Winterfell - a keep easily detoured around OR starved out by a zombie army.

I don't recall anything about them planning to have the battle at Winterfell. It's their rally point, and it makes sense to mass their armies there before moving on to the wall as it's the most well supplied position that far north.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I'm confused why did Danny and John need Cersei's help in the first place? I thought they massacred most of the Lannister army like, 3 episodes ago which is why Cersei is desperate to hire the Golden Company? Seems like with the magic teleportation magic that Danny's army has, she could easy take Kings Landing and finish the war then and there before heading up north.

Most, but not all. They weren't angling to get help, just a truce so they could focus on the north without worrying she would re-marshal and march a fresh army right up their rear end in a top hat while they're busy dealing with the dead.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 28, 2017

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I'm confused why did Danny and John need Cersei's help in the first place? I thought they massacred most of the Lannister army like, 3 episodes ago which is why Cersei is desperate to hire the Golden Company? Seems like with the magic teleportationthat Danny's army has, she could easy take Kings Landing and finish the war then and there before heading up north.

This also would have negated the Night King's ice dragon, as his other plan was to apparently to march to the wall and..stare at it?

They don't. Sweeping in with the Dragons and killing her would have meant getting most of her few remaining forces without the headache. But... Drama :ducksiren:

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
Reading autistic posts from goons about the realism of an undead ice wyvern taking out a chunk of a 700 foot wall was more entertaining than the episode.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Theon is a hero now because he doesn't have a dick. Thanks Tumblr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I'm confused about why valyrian steel and dragon glass needs to be two separate things. Functionally they're the same aren't they

• Locked thread