Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Crain posted:

I feel like the bolded part is the issue.

We do not have competent leadership on the national level, key disaster recovery administration positions are unfilled, and the local level higher ups are contaminated with Libertarian dipshits who may be more interested in turning a profit on suffering than actually restoring the area quickly and effectively.

EDIT: Also getting the refineries restarted is barely even part of the issue. The refineries will structurally be fine, but the infrastructure they rely on to get their poo poo to market is going to be, and potentially remain, hosed for more than just "a day later" once the storm moves on.

The energy companies will fund the cleanup if need be, its worth it to them. And I meant the supply chain will operate later due to the giant problems. But for example, there will likely be enough undamaged roads that the refineries can start moving fuel once they are back online. However they will be inefficient country roads that take them out of their way and make it take way longer to get gas in arkansas or wherever but it will get there.

I fully expect the govt to not get poo poo done fast, and to see private industry look after themselves and only themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

He's up and RTing

https://twitter.com/dineshdsouza/status/902144656015671297
https://twitter.com/katiepavlich/status/901624721996963840

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

If I'm gonna selectively breed dogs for anything it will be for psychic ability.

No we should be selectively breeding those dogs that call 911 or smell cancer

Seriously tho gently caress cancer :(

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Who is she talking about? George Bush pardoning Scooter Libby?

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/901517130524504064

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Koalas March posted:

No we should be selectively breeding those dogs that call 911 or smell cancer

Seriously tho gently caress cancer :(

But I don't WANT to cure cancer. I want psychic prodigy dogs who can solve crimes before they occur!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Al Borland Corp. posted:

But I don't WANT to cure cancer. I want psychic prodigy dogs who can solve crimes before they occur!

:golfclap:

dog for content:

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Screw breeding super dogs. I want us to make color changing ray cats because I still find that idea hilarious.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Matsuri posted:

They're still good dogs. :(

gently caress horrible breeding practices.

Not all are that bad, most of the ancient breeds still are interbred to keep the gene pool fresh. Hell Cardi and Pem Corgis weren't even separate breeds until very recently.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Al Borland Corp. posted:

If I'm gonna selectively breed dogs for anything it will be for psychic ability. It took, what, seven generations for the Russians to make a wild Fox into a completely different animal with super smelling abilities. Surely I could make a telepathic dog given twenty years and a few ten millions of dollars. Imagine if you had telepathic dogs Uncle Sam. Dogs don't need a warrant to read someone's mind.

RIFTS player spotted.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

If we want to knock down and discredit lovely conservative hacks, we should track who DT RTs and lambast them. That's a lot of RTs.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

You're citing Mercola, one of the most infamous pseudoscience and fake/fraudulent alt medicine groups on the planet.

Yeah but they're right about this. It's not every breed, and for some breeds it's not every line (like GSDs, where you have functional, healthy dogs from "working" lines and the horrifying slope-backed mutants from "show" lines) but making dogs worse in the pursuit of aesthetics is absolutely a thing.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Does anyone better with Twitter have those tweets about the oil refining capacity being offline until Wednesday? I would appreciate it.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Discendo Vox posted:

You're citing Mercola, one of the most infamous pseudoscience and fake/fraudulent alt medicine groups on the planet.
The page Mercola is citing is actually this: https://dogbehaviorscience.wordpress.com/2012/09/29/100-years-of-breed-improvement/

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I think she might be talking about Oscar Lopez Ramirez (also commuted sentence not pardon) but who knows

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Peven Stan posted:

Most of western europe has a lower birth rate than japan, but for some reason whites are fixated on nippon and not their own ancestors from the old country

Makes u think

Immigration, that's why the issue is more pressing in Japan

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Yes. That page is the work of the blog author and cites as a reference:
Asher L, Diesel G, Summers JF, McGreevy PD, Collins LM. (2009). Inherited defects in pedigree dogs. Part 1: disorders related to breed standards. Vet J. 2009 Dec;182(3):402-11.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Warning: Incoming Flood

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
https://twitter.com/ACLU/status/902162131386236932

Right on.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Whats the latest on those dams?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

The energy companies will fund the cleanup if need be, its worth it to them. And I meant the supply chain will operate later due to the giant problems. But for example, there will likely be enough undamaged roads that the refineries can start moving fuel once they are back online. However they will be inefficient country roads that take them out of their way and make it take way longer to get gas in arkansas or wherever but it will get there.

I fully expect the govt to not get poo poo done fast, and to see private industry look after themselves and only themselves.

While you're not wrong about the refineries moving in if the state and federal responses are lacking, and I'll even grant that they many have plans for this already written up, I do not believe that these companies have their own private road crews, disaster recover engineers, etc at the ready waiting to move in as soon as the higher ups decide that the government's time is up.

They're going to have to hire these people, probably from far away since local groups may already be contracted into service for the government. They are going to have to do their own assessments of the damage, then get permits and permission to do the repair work, and that will have to be organized with the government entities that will already be on the ground trying to work.

Exxon can't just roll up with a road crew from Tennessee and be all "gently caress off this is our turf now." and start doing work around crews that are already in place.

Plus it's not even just a roads, power, and water issue for getting the refineries running. The people who run these things are displaced, their homes are destroyed, their job sites need to be cleared and made useable again, hell the loving parking lots are probably gone too.

There is no possible way I can see a private company moving in to ensure a "quick fix" here, and even the quick fixes still have potentially huge economic effects.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Whats the latest on those dams?

Dams are currently holding. I'm listening to the dam guys talk on local news and they say a breach is possible. They did a controlled water release but the levels still rose due to all the rain. Also that river flooding could also impact the reservoirs, and that's what we should expect to see a shift (from flash and bayou flooding) to in the next day.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Discendo Vox posted:

Warning: Incoming Flood

If that water were collected into a cube next to Houston's downtown, it would be approximately four miles square and two miles tall.

CUBES DON'T WORK THAT WAY!

EDIT: VVVV *Sigh* VVVV

Old James fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Aug 28, 2017

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Old James posted:

Read it again, slowly.

It's poorly-worded of them but not incorrect. The cube itself would have a footprint of 4 miles square, while being 2 miles high.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Idk what you all are talking about, now the oil tanker ships can float right up to the crackers, it's a model of improved efficiency

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I asked the question last night and if it was answered I didn't see it, so I shall ask again:

I want to donate a bunch of clothes my kids have outgrown so they get directly to the displaced kids in Texas. What would be the best way to do that?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Your Taint posted:

I asked the question last night and if it was answered I didn't see it, so I shall ask again:

I want to donate a bunch of clothes my kids have outgrown so they get directly to the displaced kids in Texas. What would be the best way to do that?

It's ultimately much better to donate your clothes locally and donate money to disaster relief. Those charities will buy clothes for people more efficiently than having to sort through donations.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Old James posted:

It'd be a droplet due to surface tension of the liquid.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Did I miss a derail about millennial dogs not being as tough and strong as 1800s dogs? Maybe that is why farmers were loving them so much back then.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Your Taint posted:

Basically to not to. Donations are great and everything but Red Cross really needs money and canned foods. Red Cross literally just gives clothes away to other charities because they have so many. Your kids clothes are basically just gonna sit in a warehouse somewhere. Clothes also cost them money because they have to wash them and sort them

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The name escapes me but I think she means the trans person Obama gave clemency to?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Discendo Vox posted:

Purebred dogs are still royally hosed up healthwise.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Your Taint posted:

Donate any used professional lady clothes to the local woman's shelter. I know it's not about the kiddos but my wife's going through old stuff and said that's the best place for those.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Purebred dogs are still royally hosed up healthwise.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Your Taint posted:

Yeah, donating clothes turns out to be a terrible idea. They can't take your word for it that it's clean and vermin free, so they have to launder, sort, and size everything before they can even think about distributing it.

It's far cheaper and more efficient for charities to buy new clothing in bulk than have to deal with used, however well-intentioned it is. Donate your clothes locally or directly to someone who needs them, and send money to Houston.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Sexual Aluminum posted:

The name escapes me but I think she means the trans person Obama gave clemency to?

Manning is the mentioned "traitor". The terrorist is more oblique.

I'm choosing to believe that she's got some misconceptions about the Ayers-Obama relationship, because that would be funniest.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Oh, from the context of it being below a Souza tweet, I though she was talking about Desouza's old boss.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Paracaidas posted:

Manning is the mentioned "traitor". The terrorist is more oblique.

I'm choosing to believe that she's got some misconceptions about the Ayers-Obama relationship, because that would be funniest.

Maybe she thought he sent back the Lockerbie bomber?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Well, given the massive change in tone regarding WikiLeaks... :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Chelsea Manning, yeah.

Heck, knowing these idiots levels of brokebrain a fair amount probably think Obama saved Bin Laden with ST6 and pardoned him before covering with a burial at sea.

Playstation 4 fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Aug 28, 2017

• Locked thread