Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I kind of wonder if Cap's Hydra became far more overtly evil in the event compared to Cap's conception of it in his comic leading up to the event because Marvel realized everyone was calling him Nazi Cap anyway and they didn't want to be accused of whitewashing it by making him an antihero. I assume at some point everyone involved realized the whole thing was a mistake (especially because of the bad timing with Trump unexepctedly winning) and wished they'd done something else, so last minute editorial changes wouldn't surprise me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Uthor posted:

I only skimmed, this is what jumped out, now I wanna read.
It's two and a half pages in Secret Empire 0 if you really want to check it out.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sinteres posted:

I kind of wonder if Cap's Hydra became far more overtly evil in the event compared to Cap's conception of it in his comic leading up to the event because Marvel realized everyone was calling him Nazi Cap anyway and they didn't want to be accused of whitewashing it by making him an antihero. I assume at some point everyone involved realized the whole thing was a mistake (especially because of the bad timing with Trump unexepctedly winning) and wished they'd done something else, so last minute editorial changes wouldn't surprise me.

If they realized it was a mistake they would've canned it. No one was holding them at gunpoint forcing them to finish the story everyone told them not to publish.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nazis are and they've been trying to get a message out.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is Nick Spencer related to Richard Spencer?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Actual real world Nazis are trying to adopt Cap as a symbol of their movement and get turbo pissed if you tell them he was created by a Jewish man.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Do you all think Ike Perlmutter ever has Gary Cohn-esque regrets or does he comfort himself and ignore his role in making this poo poo happen by laser focusing in on how Trump is going to bomb their rear end and take their gas?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is Nick Spencer related to Richard Spencer?

No, Nick Spencer is a moronic bad Democrat who thinks poo poo like broken windows policing is awesome, not a Nazi

This story is not a secret heil, it's him trying to be all poignant about how American institutions are being subverted and loving up massively because he can't write and is extremely fragile when he gets criticism. If you look at his twitter feed that's really clear, he thinks its all great and even more "necessary" now.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Aug 27, 2017

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I still think there's an art imitating life defense, in which Captain America being subverted to lead an essentially Nazi organization mimics the country being led by a white nationalist, but I agree that a mainstream superhero crossover probably wasn't the place for it. I still think there's a lot of hindsight bias here though; obviously they didn't plan this after Charlottesville, or even Trump's election, and probably wouldn't have done so. That doesn't mean it was a good idea, but it wasn't at the time as monumentally stupid as it appears today.

Rhyno posted:

Actual real world Nazis are trying to adopt Cap as a symbol of their movement and get turbo pissed if you tell them he was created by a Jewish man.

White supremacists loved American History X too. These people are morons.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I wasn't opposed with the idea of Cap being mind controlled to be Hydra on principle(this sort of thing has happened before), but once I realized they were going to make into this whole thing I was saying this was ill-advised well before Trump got elected, and I wasn't the only one. And the dipshits at Marvel kept hiding behind "just wait and judge the story on the merits", like morons always do. It's the same spiel the imbeciles making that "Confederates won the civil war" show for HBO are spouting. Just a bunch of sheltered morons who think they can say something deep with controversial subject matter but at the same time refuse to acknowledge the idea that art can have social consequences.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

And that they're running this event during the centennial of Jack "I'ma personally kick the everfucking poo poo out of any Nazi I come across" Kirby is especially galling.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

howe_sam posted:

And that they're running this event during the centennial of Jack "I'ma personally kick the everfucking poo poo out of any Nazi I come across" Kirby is especially galling.

Jack "I'll be right down" Kirby

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Nick Spencer's Captain America issue with the protest at the university was the worst thing I've ever read and I read Brigade and Bloodstrike.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I thought "Consider this your trigger warning!" was a funny line.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kirby was known to exaggerate his war stories though.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Just like he exaggerated his role in creating absolutely everything he worked on with Stan Lee by himself (which Stan Lee was also guilty of doing).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Aphrodite posted:

So maybe he only killed 3 Nazis.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Unless you're saying that he exaggerated the fact that he hated Nazis, I don't think that's really relevant to the context of why that response was made in this thread. :v:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

(I'll take any excuse to post that)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Rhyno posted:

Two Jewish men.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I heard Captain America is now a Nazi? Is this actually true?
No there are some very fine people on both sides and he's one of them

Wheat Loaf posted:

I thought "Consider this your trigger warning!" was a funny line.
It's about as funny as that Ultimates line which everyone seems to like.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Aug 28, 2017

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

irlZaphod posted:

It's about as funny as that Ultimates line which everyone seems to like.

The only good thing about that line was the piss-take in Nextwave.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

DigitalRaven posted:

The only good thing about that line was the piss-take in Nextwave.

And a pisstake in Ultimates 2 that came out this month that I enjoyed.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

KaosMachina posted:

And a pisstake in Ultimates 2 that came out this month that I enjoyed.

Ewing made Next Wave Marvel canon.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Skwirl posted:

Ewing made Next Wave Marvel canon.

Did he do that before or after The Captain showed up in Nova?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Brian Reed use the NW version of Machine Man in his Math Marvel run for like two years and Hudlin used the NW version of Monica in his BP run. Elsa Bloodstone popped up in a bunch of places and Boom Boom's ditsyness and design carried over the X-Force as well.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Mark Millar licks goats.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

prefect posted:

Mark Millar licks goats.
We don't care.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Before.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Nextwave was declared non-canonical as soon as it came out, but the problem rapidly became that all of Marvel's writers had loved it just as much as all of the fans did, and they just flat ignored editorial and put the Nextwave versions of those characters into their comics and referenced it like it'd happened. So you ended up with a rebellion from the ground up that eventually ended when editorial went "okay fine, HATE captured those five and put them in a weird simulator they escaped from, now you can use Nextwave stuff and we don't have to deal with the weird continuity that'd exist if any of that stuff actually happened".

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Before, the second to last arc of his Mighty Avengers was about The Beyond corporation. Monica Rambeau got her dreads and jacket back.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I prefer the explanation that it happened but everyone involved was on a lot of drugs at the time

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Mover posted:

I prefer the explanation that it happened but everyone involved was on a lot of drugs at the time

And since Civil War was around the same time (MARK MILLAR LICKS GOATS), I always just headcanoned it that Iron Man drafted them into the Initiative and did not let them keep HATE's helicarrier.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Is/was there really any meaningful impact to Nextwave being canon/writers acknowledging it exists outside of people writing Machine Man as Bender? That only stuck about half of the time that he showed up, and I don't really remember Boom Boom being particularly "Nextwavey" outside of I guess talking too much or having some sort of "wacky" trait adjacent to her Nextwave character in... X-Force(?) a few years ago? And then Al Ewing, lover of marginalia, folding it into continuity in a way in his Avengers books, which also have brought back concepts like Spitfire and the Troubleshooters, Psi-Force, Blue Marvel, and a bunch of other mostly forgotten characters and concepts.

It's been a decade, I'm not really sure that even if somehow a ground-up rebellion of writers just flat out telling their editors to go gently caress themselves, they're DEFINITELY going to have Machine Man be mean in Marvel Zombies 3. The editors swear up and down there is no way they can ever acknowledge NEXTWAVE, THE COMIC THAT MUST NOT BE REFERENCED, but they still defiantly write him as Bender. Marvel editorial is so enraged they greenlight more Marvel Zombies mini-series and the battle rages on in silence until an issue of Mighty Avengers four years later.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 30, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fin Fang Foom's pants are a serious issue.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Edge & Christian posted:

Is/was there really any meaningful impact to Nextwave being canon/writers acknowledging it exists outside of people writing Machine Man as Bender? That only stuck about half of the time that he showed up, and I don't really remember Boom Boom being particularly "Nextwavey" outside of I guess talking too much or having some sort of "wacky" trait adjacent to her Nextwave character in... X-Force(?) a few years ago? And then Al Ewing, lover of marginalia, folding it into continuity in a way in his Avengers books, which also have brought back concepts like Spitfire and the Troubleshooters, Psi-Force, Blue Marvel, and a bunch of other mostly forgotten characters and concepts.

Psi-Force is back? That and Star Brand were my favorite New Universe books.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

prefect posted:

This right here tells me you never read D.P. 7, which is a crime

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

Fin Fang Foom's pants are a serious issue.
I'm just saying maybe not all of the creators out there heard about their glorious revolution against the editorial overlords telling them not to reference Nextwave while they valiantly insisted they must reference Nextwave for epic wins, because Fin Fang Foom's pants were nowhere to be found in Drax or Monsters Unleashed. I'm sorry if this discussion is too serious and real for you.

prefect posted:

I mean, perhaps not as you remember it from the 1980s? I'd say it's more in keeping with the stuff Hickman did with Star Brand and Nightmask in his Avengers run. But pretty much all of that New Universe stuff (if not the explicit characters in all cases) have been folded into the mainline Marvel Universe now, at least on the fringes.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Pastry of the Year posted:

This right here tells me you never read D.P. 7, which is a crime

I also never read Kickers, Inc.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Edge & Christian posted:

It's been a decade, I'm not really sure that even if somehow a ground-up rebellion of writers just flat out telling their editors to go gently caress themselves, they're DEFINITELY going to have Machine Man be mean in Marvel Zombies 3 and the editors swear up and down there is no way they can ever acknowledge NEXTWAVE, THE COMIC THAT MUST NOT BE REFERENCED they still defiantly write him as Bender and Marvel is so enraged they greenlight more Marvel Zombies mini-series and the battle rages on in silence until an issue of Mighty Avengers four years later.

My girlfriend read this post over my shoulder this morning and thought she was having a stroke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

purple death ray posted:

My girlfriend read this post over my shoulder this morning and thought she was having a stroke
You should probably stop posting and get her to a doctor if reading more than a sentence of text gives here that much trouble.