Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

In AoE, what are my options for cabling the IC2 machines that for some unknown reason i still have to use (age 5 or 6, i just killed the ender dragon, which, without flight, actually sucks).

My plan is to make a mob grinder (for gunpowder) so i can start running my base on combustion engines and vats.

So i need a way to convert rf to eu, and a way to hook it all up.

I am finding that my copper/iron insulated cables are disconnecting. Which requires either 1) the machines to be picked up and put back down
2) log out and log back in.

I've been lead to believe it is a chunk loading issue, but it is ic2, (all my ic2 runs off solar)

Also does IE stuff connect to conduits? I think it is time to get rid of all my LV stuff and start powering everything quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Meskhenet posted:

In AoE, what are my options for cabling the IC2 machines that for some unknown reason i still have to use (age 5 or 6, i just killed the ender dragon, which, without flight, actually sucks).

My plan is to make a mob grinder (for gunpowder) so i can start running my base on combustion engines and vats.

I am finding that my copper/iron insulated cables are disconnecting. Which requires either 1) the machines to be picked up and put back down

I've been lead to believe it is a chunk loading issue, but it is ic2, (all my ic2 runs off solar)

Also does IE stuff connect to conduits? I think it is time to get rid of all my LV stuff and start powering everything quickly.

There is no power conversion in AoE at all.

Age 5 RF power is 100% diesel. It takes a lot of steel, but one refinery/squeezer/fermenter (from immersive engineering) can power two diesel engines. Use garden cloches with melons (2-3) and unpack the blocks into slices with a compacting drawer.

e: each diesel outputs 4096 RF/t and the whole chain takes about 800 RF/t to operate

Gwyneth Palpate fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 26, 2017

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
WELP the twitch app does something new which breaks how minecraft reads configs and now a bunch of them are reverting to default in the modpack I'm playing. Or maybe not? The configs are getting new "modified by" dates but they're not changing? I swear I wasn't getting any onscreen durability icons for my equipment before.
edit: no I guess I was, I just remembered using the tool durability reading to know when my pickaxe was about to break. Weird that the configs are changing their dates like that.

edit2: awwww, PPM3 nerfed Signalum crossbows.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 26, 2017

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

FTBUtils chunk loading will also randomly eat AE cables at chunk boarders on server restarts

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

McFrugal posted:

edit2: awwww, PPM3 nerfed Signalum crossbows.
No, the creator of the mod that added the TE materials to Tinker's did that a long time back.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Meskhenet posted:

Don't make conduits, make HV wires. They are incredibly cheap and carry more power than max level conduits. (32k vs 20k)

Edit: Especially in AoE, conduit binder recipe was made a lot harder to make.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Aug 26, 2017

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

There is no power conversion in AoE at all.

Age 5 RF power is 100% diesel. It takes a lot of steel, but one refinery/squeezer/fermenter (from immersive engineering) can power two diesel engines. Use garden cloches with melons (2-3) and unpack the blocks into slices with a compacting drawer.

e: each diesel outputs 4096 RF/t and the whole chain takes about 800 RF/t to operate

Are you talking about the diesel generator by tech reborn? as that needs an age 10 machine block.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

immersive engineering

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Meskhenet posted:

Are you talking about the diesel generator by tech reborn? as that needs an age 10 machine block.

It's an Immersive Engineering multiblock. Make the guide book from IE, it'll show you how to make the multiblocks.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

That is a lot of steel ><

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So you are aware, an improved blast furnace from IE is very cheap (just take the blast bricks, add a steel plate to each, and rebuilt it as it was), and with two pre-heaters powered by a small amount of RF they can produce steel pretty quickly. Just make sure you always have a Coke Oven or two going at all times.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

This is a good series for learning IE, if you need one.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
We've decided to abandon the homebrew modpack we were working on. Too many conflicts, not enough time to troubleshoot them.

I found a pre-built pack on the TerraFirmaCraft forums that's pretty close to what we were looking for, but this new twitch interface is awful and I can't find it for the life of me. Apparently I'm s'posed to enter a pack code somewhere and this will pop up, but now that it's FTB is Twitch, that option seems to have vanished.

For reference, this is the pack (http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/10150-tfc-07929922-new-dawn-a-public-unlisted-ftb-modpack/)

Anyone have any clues?

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Black Pants posted:

So you are aware, an improved blast furnace from IE is very cheap (just take the blast bricks, add a steel plate to each, and rebuilt it as it was), and with two pre-heaters powered by a small amount of RF they can produce steel pretty quickly. Just make sure you always have a Coke Oven or two going at all times.

Yeah i have that up and running, I just dont have the coke atm.

I rebuilt my base too. I may build another coke oven.

But i have given up on anything ic2. If it needs something from one of those machines, i just give it to me. (Though i built the IE metal press and anything that i can to avoid ic2.)

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Weltlich posted:

We've decided to abandon the homebrew modpack we were working on. Too many conflicts, not enough time to troubleshoot them.

I found a pre-built pack on the TerraFirmaCraft forums that's pretty close to what we were looking for, but this new twitch interface is awful and I can't find it for the life of me. Apparently I'm s'posed to enter a pack code somewhere and this will pop up, but now that it's FTB is Twitch, that option seems to have vanished.

For reference, this is the pack (http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/10150-tfc-07929922-new-dawn-a-public-unlisted-ftb-modpack/)

Anyone have any clues?

It looks like if it's unlisted but has a pack code, you have to use the legacy FTB Launcher.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Meskhenet posted:

Yeah i have that up and running, I just dont have the coke atm.

I rebuilt my base too. I may build another coke oven.

But i have given up on anything ic2. If it needs something from one of those machines, i just give it to me. (Though i built the IE metal press and anything that i can to avoid ic2.)

Why even bother with a progression modpack if you're not going to abide by the progression? It sounds like you'd probably have more fun with another pack, honestly.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Why even bother with a progression modpack if you're not going to abide by the progression? It sounds like you'd probably have more fun with another pack, honestly.

On behalf of everyone that doesn't play games exactly like you do, I apologise. We understand that people not being exactly like you is hard for you to deal with. Heaven forbid someone gets enjoyment out of something in a different way than you, but unfortunately, that's life i guess.

(P.S. IC2 is garbage and cheating that poo poo in almost makes it bareable..... almost)

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Meskhenet posted:

On behalf of everyone that doesn't play games exactly like you do, I apologise. We understand that people not being exactly like you is hard for you to deal with. Heaven forbid someone gets enjoyment out of something in a different way than you, but unfortunately, that's life i guess.

(P.S. IC2 is garbage and cheating that poo poo in almost makes it bareable..... almost)

What? I'm just saying that it seems sorta self-flagellating to pick a challenge pack when you have no intention of actually abiding the challenging parts. Playing the game your way is fine, of course, but the specific point of the pack is to play by the rules it provides, whether it's in your comfort zone or not. God knows I loving hated having to deal with TechReborn, but I did it because the whole point of the pack was to deal with it and progress.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The problem isn't that IC2 is challenging, it's that IC2 is poo poo. If IC2 were replaced with a mod that didn't demand its own infrastructure and have poo poo randomly explode when you did anything wrong, which you will because nothing is documented, the modpack would presumably be less of a colossal pain in the rear end.

Industrialcraft is a Bad Mod and the fact that challenge packs keep including it anyway is a problem.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Well, AoE is big about not letting various mods share an energy system, so get ready for a lot of that. There's EU, RF, GP, and Joules, and no conversion exists or will ever exist between them.

Part of this "IC2 isn't so bad" bent isn't even because I think IC2 is interesting or anything, but because Tech Reborn is a mod that's also in the pack. Imagine everything about IC2, but then remove all of the documentation (ic2 has "okay" documentation) and have the tooltips lie to you about what tier of power the machines can receive. Combine this with no upgrade paths and arcane recipes and interactions and you have nightmare material.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

MechaCrash posted:

The problem isn't that IC2 is challenging, it's that IC2 is poo poo. If IC2 were replaced with a mod that didn't demand its own infrastructure and have poo poo randomly explode when you did anything wrong, which you will because nothing is documented, the modpack would presumably be less of a colossal pain in the rear end.

Industrialcraft is a Bad Mod and the fact that challenge packs keep including it anyway is a problem.

IC2 is pretty well documented, just not in-game.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Ditch IC2, make Futurepack the equivalent gate techmod in modpacks.

Edit: 'old' IC2 has some decent documentation. But I went looking for what power options were good for each power tier and couldn't find poo poo. I could find a list of what -used- each power tier, but not anything about what I should use to power them, except 'make these 1EU-generating things to begin with' and 'make this complicated nuclear reactor, here's how to automate it (using buildcraft and redpower 2 (post written in 2011)). It's probably going to blow up if you try to get any appreciable amount of power out of it and don't babysit it'.

Or, of course, make 512 solar panels for a High Voltage Solar Array.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Aug 27, 2017

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

So far, the pack is pretty fun.

Just not IC2.

I have nothing against different mods using different power. I do have something against only being able to supply power from 1 side, or having to match up 2 different sided of different machines, all of which you only get back a case if you use a pickaxe on it.

And dont confuse challenge with tedium. IC2 is not challenging, it's straight up boring. I havent gotten to techreborn yet.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Meskhenet posted:

all of which you only get back a case if you use a pickaxe on it

you, uh

do know that ic2 has a wrench, and it can pick up machines without breaking them, right

like that is one of the oldest mechanics of minecraft modding, it's been a thing since minecraft 1.1, maybe even earlier

e: and that the very same wrench, when right clicking, orients machines, and shift right clicking orients the machine to the block opposite of the one you clicked

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Black Pants posted:

Ditch IC2, make Futurepack the equivalent gate techmod in modpacks.

Edit: 'old' IC2 has some decent documentation. But I went looking for what power options were good for each power tier and couldn't find poo poo. I could find a list of what -used- each power tier, but not anything about what I should use to power them, except 'make these 1EU-generating things to begin with' and 'make this complicated nuclear reactor, here's how to automate it (using buildcraft and redpower 2 (post written in 2011)). It's probably going to blow up if you try to get any appreciable amount of power out of it and don't babysit it'.

Or, of course, make 512 solar panels for a High Voltage Solar Array.

Base IC2 pre-nuclear power generation now consists of some weird thing where you connect one block that generates something via fuel (or passively) to another block that converts that something into usable EU. The names for each block are super unintuitive, too. I think people generally use the equivalent of wind turbines.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

so in AoE here's the progression of ic2 power, minus solar because gently caress solar

tier "one": coal generator (just "generator")

tier "two": windmill (good for cost, but requires a good sense of how IC2 power works or you suffer massive line loss), semifluid generator (works with AA's fermented canola oil, but not crystallized or empowered)

tier "three": kinetic wind turbines (requires rotor item and paired kinetic generator), forestry bio-electric generators, 0-chamber nuclear reactor

tier "four": 6-chamber reactors (use 400 EU/t design for higher plutonium output)

tier "five": 84.95% heat MOX fuel reactor, pressure vessel reactor

tier "six": advanced generator being fed immersive engineering biodiesel (50 turbine generator requires just over one refinery working full time) or ethylene (eight times the energy density, upgrade to this asap)

tier "seven": creative quantum generator lol

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

you, uh

do know that ic2 has a wrench, and it can pick up machines without breaking them, right

like that is one of the oldest mechanics of minecraft modding, it's been a thing since minecraft 1.1, maybe even earlier

e: and that the very same wrench, when right clicking, orients machines, and shift right clicking orients the machine to the block opposite of the one you clicked

Does the wrench still have a 15% chance of loss unless you use the powered wrench in a special mode which holds a laughably miniscule amount of energy, meaning that to recover machines 100% of the time you have to recharge the thing constantly?

IC2 is poo poo.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fortis posted:

Does the wrench still have a 15% chance of loss unless you use the powered wrench in a special mode which holds a laughably miniscule amount of energy, meaning that to recover machines 100% of the time you have to recharge the thing constantly?

IC2 is poo poo.

Not that I'm aware of but the powered wrench is neither difficult to make nor difficult to keep charged.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Black Pants posted:

Not that I'm aware of but the powered wrench is neither difficult to make nor difficult to keep charged.

Alright, then they fixed it. Good on them, I guess, but I think IC2 is still one of those early-days MC mods where the entire design philosophy is "gently caress you for playing," and with so many better alternatives the fact that it still gets used blows my mind.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I managed to figure out how to dump at least some block names with metadata using some custom code. I am having to roll my own since none of the mods seem to want to dump that info. So I might yet write a migration tool for the BFSR quest book and tutorial dimension.

The bad news I have this time since I am hunkered inside, waiting for Harvey to stop trying to drown us all.

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
IC2 only gets used if you download a pack with it in, I ditched it in my packs a long time ago :eng101:

That's not to say I think IC2 is bad, it's not, and lol if you can't even play through it one time and enjoy and appreciate what it is without immediately gratifying yourself with creative mode I mean I'd probably just give up playing games if I got to the point where every time something unexpected happened to me I made a cowardly post about how the fault is with everyone else for not holding my hand like when your first machine turned into a machine block because you used a pickaxe on it did you literally stomp your feet and start yelling NO FUN cus that's what I imagine you did right before typing /gamemode 1

I'll tell you what I did, five years ago when it happened to me, I said oh hey that's pretty cool a pickaxe probably wouldn't be the best tool for taking down a machine and when I inevitably applied the wrong voltage to a machine and had it explode I was more impressed with the idea of having to think about what I'm doing before I do it as opposed to thinking the mod author has some sadistic purpose and is a bad person and proclaiming the entire mod to be bad because it doesn't do exactly what I expected when I expected it based on some arbitrary standard I invented in my head about what should have happened. figuring out how to move a bunch of EU around without anything blowing up is way cooler than plopping down some EIO conduits and calling it a day. The playthrough where I learned IC2's peculiarities and built up to advanced solar panels and UU-matter production is still the one I remember the most :allears:

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

frenzy posted:

IC2 only gets used if you download a pack with it in, I ditched it in my packs a long time ago :eng101:

That's not to say I think IC2 is bad, it's not, and lol if you can't even play through it one time and enjoy and appreciate what it is without immediately gratifying yourself with creative mode I mean I'd probably just give up playing games if I got to the point where every time something unexpected happened to me I made a cowardly post about how the fault is with everyone else for not holding my hand like when your first machine turned into a machine block because you used a pickaxe on it did you literally stomp your feet and start yelling NO FUN cus that's what I imagine you did right before typing /gamemode 1

I'll tell you what I did, five years ago when it happened to me, I said oh hey that's pretty cool a pickaxe probably wouldn't be the best tool for taking down a machine and when I inevitably applied the wrong voltage to a machine and had it explode I was more impressed with the idea of having to think about what I'm doing before I do it as opposed to thinking the mod author has some sadistic purpose and is a bad person and proclaiming the entire mod to be bad because it doesn't do exactly what I expected when I expected it based on some arbitrary standard I invented in my head about what should have happened. figuring out how to move a bunch of EU around without anything blowing up is way cooler than plopping down some EIO conduits and calling it a day. The playthrough where I learned IC2's peculiarities and built up to advanced solar panels and UU-matter production is still the one I remember the most :allears:

These sentences run on more than the beleageured lack of a point.

IC2 is poo poo, and you weirdo fucks are really closing in on purestrain 'CAZHULS IN MAH VIJEMOGAMZ' level complaints about honor in suffering.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm completely serious about Futurepack by the way. Its largely linear research tech tree would be perfect for a progression backbone. To learn how to make Y you need to scan X which requires materials from <insert mod here>. Bam. Progression.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Was going to say that the ic2 wrench is garbage.

Sure its not hard to keep charged, but its a waste of time. It's also another piece of junk to keep in inventory.

Even with gamemode 1 ic2 is garbage.

And aoe isnt my first pack with it. Ive suffered through it before. Its like setting crop breeding to 1 and removing weeds when youve already done agricraft.

or setting thaumcraft to all research unlocked.

The only difference between those and IC2, is those others have a use. ic2 exists solely for itself.

There is a reason packs have it at the start of the progression, it slows down the initial start and once you've by passed it, you never look back. (unless other mod rec's are nerfed)

It's bad, its loving awful.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Meskhenet posted:

There is a reason packs have it at the start of the progression, it slows down the initial start and once you've by passed it, you never look back. (unless other mod rec's are nerfed)

IC2's extremely prevalent in basically all parts of AoE

this isn't a "u cheater pls die" comment, it's a "FYI it doesn't get better" comment

mensrea
Mar 17, 2016

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I managed to figure out how to dump at least some block names with metadata using some custom code. I am having to roll my own since none of the mods seem to want to dump that info. So I might yet write a migration tool for the BFSR quest book and tutorial dimension.

The bad news I have this time since I am hunkered inside, waiting for Harvey to stop trying to drown us all.

Would you mind uploading these programs you're using to migrate the map somewhere? I'm in the same boat and could really use some stuff like that.

Also, about IC2, does it still have a config to disable the wrench mechanics and exploding machines/melting power lines behavior? I know 1.7.10 didn't have the onerous power mechanics on by default, but there was a config option to turn it on.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Since Azanor said he would release the source code for Thaumcraft, did anyone pick up developing it?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Since Azanor said he would release the source code for Thaumcraft, did anyone pick up developing it?

I think McJty was going to, but there hasn't been confirmation one way or the other yet.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Sexual Aluminum posted:

He said he would not release the source code, but might allow someone else to work on it in his place. So far, that has not happened.

If he'd released the source code, guaranteed someone would have jumped on it already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

mensrea posted:

Would you mind uploading these programs you're using to migrate the map somewhere? I'm in the same boat and could really use some stuff like that.
They should wind up in GitHub as I go. I have to push some code up before I do a hard disk swap soon anyways. BabysFirstSupportMod goes up in there when I make major changes. That had the rattle and teleportation logic.

The downside is "odds are good, but goods are odd." It's going to be dumps from a hand-written mod that are then ingested by a pile of Python scripts. If you are used to that kind of chicanery then you'll manage, but I doubt I'll have a really good user interface.

In your case, what exactly are you trying to do in migration? I am curious in case I am forgetting some important poo poo.

Regarding progress: I started the 1.10 code migration for the supporting code. Tons of poo poo changed and I have to overhaul every source file... once I figure out what the alternatives even are.