Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I feel like telling people to kill themselves and joking about rape are a fair bit worse than using virulent disease names as shorthand for "awful", even if the last isn't particularly tasteful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Star Man posted:

I used to play card games on top of washing machines.

Deal with it.

You didn't pay someone else a fee for doing it though. I think that is the big difference.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Jenx posted:

That article left me kind of ambivalent. On one hand, I don't use any of these terms, because 1. They're stupid and 2. It makes you sound like a 13-year-old edgelord.

On the other hand, I loving hate people telling me what I should and shouldn't be saying, because someone might be offended, and hell - if someone wants to talk like a 13-year-old edgelord, that's their problem, not mine.

and another thing, why can't i say the n-word

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

GeneX posted:

I feel like telling people to kill themselves and joking about rape are a fair bit worse than using virulent disease names as shorthand for "awful", even if the last isn't particularly tasteful

same but with racial slurs

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Again, this is anout the feeling of being uninhibited for a change in one small area of life. I'm depressed and sad alot and beong uninhibited by making exaggerations and absurd metaphors helps my mental health. Why are my feelings not important but thise who are easily offended are? Maybe people like me should go kill ourselves because there is literally no place where I can go and try to be silly?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
writing up my suicide note because I can no longer call Kevin a queer when he beats me at commander

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

mandatory lesbian posted:

and another thing, why can't i say the n-word

You're obviously not from the northeast. Or the south. Or the midwest. ...or the west coast. So I guess you're from Hawaii or another country entirely?

Edit: funny enough my first thought after reading the very first comment was "reply kill yourself." Then I remembered the whole point of the article and didn't say that (not that I would have anyway.)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Dehtraen posted:

I borrowed a friend's affinity deck and the first time playing it in paper I 4-0'd and thought to myself "wow this deck is broken I should buy it and just exclusively play it." The next event I borrowed it for I mulligan'd to 5 every game except one where I kept an average 7 and every g2 in the event I experienced one of modern's many wonderful artifact hate cards on curve and realized exactly why it isn't fun to play all the time.

Great deck but you can get punished so badly sometimes with it

The one regular Affinity player at our store moved a couple weeks ago, nice guy and I'll miss him but drat am I glad to not have to play against that deck anytime soon.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

little munchkin posted:

writing up my suicide note because I can no longer call Kevin a queer when he beats me at commander

The war on language is a distraction, the real problem is the reserved list buyout, which was clearly orchestrated by Soros. He's ruining my hobby by making Moss Monster spike. It's like I'm the only who can see it. Put it together, sheeple.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/902168905787076611

funny how leaking the regular rare sheet didn't clue us in at all that there could be a DFC sheet

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

So the B&R, i assume no changes?

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Marketing New Brain posted:

The war on language is a distraction, the real problem is the reserved list buyout, which was clearly orchestrated by Soros. He's ruining my hobby by making Moss Monster spike. It's like I'm the only who can see it. Put it together, sheeple.

No, it's the lizardmen. They see the Viashino as an insult, and are angry that they aren't otherwise represented in Magic.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Tales of Woe posted:

funny how leaking the regular rare sheet didn't clue us in at all that there could be a DFC sheet

That's a nice frame.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Tales of Woe posted:

So uh, anyone want to speculate as to why the back side of a DFC needs reminder text that tells you what the name on the front side is?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Jabor posted:

So uh, anyone want to speculate as to why the back side of a DFC needs reminder text that tells you what the name on the front side is?

Because it looks a lot like a token? At least that'd be my guess.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Jabor posted:

So it's clear what side to play first?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

suicidesteve posted:

You're obviously not from the northeast. Or the south. Or the midwest. ...or the west coast. So I guess you're from Hawaii or another country entirely?
What part of the west coast are you talking about? No one I know uses the n word in Seattle.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Ixalan is going to be a cool set

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Jabor posted:

normally you can't play the back side of a DFC because it has no casting cost but because this is a land it gets a reminder that you can't just play it on that side.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Jabor posted:

Because if you can tell me what the front sides of Rampaging Werewolf, Krallenhorde Howler, and Moonrise Intruder are without looking them up, I'll be impressed.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
I missed that treasure cove let's you turn Treasures into card draws instead of mana.

Ixalan is looking to be very fun.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Tales of Woe posted:

The leaks are fake but the cards are real

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Why does the Cove look more like a map than the Map itself?

:confused:

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I read one of the comments. It was awful.
If self-regulating one's language to make certain everyone else is comfortable is so much of a hassle and so stressful that they can't have fun playing magic, I don't want them to play magic.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Tales of Woe posted:

This is rad as heck and I love it.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Tales of Woe posted:

This card is perfect. Just perfect. There is not a single aspect of this card that I am not in love with.

Especially that frame and art on the back half, unf.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
They just posted all the leaked cards

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/behind-scenes-alleged-ixalan-card-theft-2017-08-28

The leaker was arrested and is currently jailed. Apparently WOTC was notified before it was posted online that someone was shopping the sheet around.

Tainen fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 28, 2017

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

B&R List update

All formats are unchanged except for Vintage, where Thorn is restricted, Mentor is restricted, and Bargain is unrestricted

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

quote:

Starting with this set, all planeswalkers past, present, and future will have the supertype legendary. They will also be subject to the "legend rule." The "planeswalker uniqueness rule" is going away. What does this mean? In short, everything that's true about legendary creatures will now be true about legendary planeswalkers.

Under the new rules, if a player controls more than one legendary planeswalker with the same name, that player chooses one and puts the other into their owner's graveyard. This means that if you control Jace, Unraveler of Secrets and cast Jace, Cunning Castaway, both Jaces can exist under your control.

Planeswalkers will continue to have planeswalker types (Jace, Nissa, Bolas, and so on). However, those subtypes won't be used by any rule to determine what a player can retain control of. Cards like Jace's Defeat will continue to be able to refer to those subtypes.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Mentor kinda deserved it, so that's good. Someone at Wizards must really hate shops. Unrestricting Bargain is like to change basically nothing, so it's probably a good idea.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Tainen posted:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/behind-scenes-alleged-ixalan-card-theft-2017-08-28

The leaker was arrested and is currently jailed. Apparently WOTC was notified before it was posted online that someone was shopping the sheet around.

This "arrest" story is just another brilliantly orchestrated marketing tactic by Wizards

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Tainen posted:

This is a smarter move than I would've expected from WOTC but I guess they've dealt with enough leaks to finally figure that there's little upside to playing dumb and clamming up.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The planeswalker change is huge game change. I would expect the 3 cmc's lilies to be more expensive in the short term.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

At first I didn't realize those were magic symbol tattoos on Jace and I thought he had a tank top tan line.

I propose that this Jace be known as Boaty McBoatJace.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tainen posted:

Boo, just give everyone the godbooks already.

TheChirurgeon posted:

This "arrest" story is just another brilliantly orchestrated marketing tactic by Wizards

Small price for the brilliant marketing team by the company that also brought us MODO.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
New/Returning Mechanics

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Sickening posted:

The planeswalker change is huge game change.
Yeah, no poo poo. I kinda would prefer them inventing new characters, but I guess this is one way for them to keep making Jaces.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Chill la Chill posted:

Small price for the brilliant marketing team by the company that also brought us MODO.

I was going to point out that the marketing team isn't responsible for MODO but then it occurred to me that it's so poorly coded that it's possible they could be

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
A note from the mechanics article. There are no double faced creatures in the set.

https://twitter.com/saffronolive/status/902184919492907010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
WoTC did the best thing, I can finally read the cards.