Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Radish posted:

They are apparently also using his tweets that had a BS rationalization based on nothing (we have to save money by kicking out trans people) as an example of how it's obviously discriminatory.

Dude would be a lot more efficient in his evil if he wasn't such a dumbfuck.

Yeah, the scariest thing about watching Trump is imagining someone competent out there watching him and getting inspired

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The Glumslinger posted:

Yeah, the scariest thing about watching Trump is imagining someone competent out there watching him and getting inspired

Yeah exactly. Knowing that the only real reason he's being opposed so heavily by the media is because he openly attacked them from the start of his campaign and they still keep clinging to the hope he will turn into an entirely different person is really scary. If Trump was smart enough to lay off twitter and have a folksy joke for every evil order he pushed we'd be totally hosed.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Does anyone know what the reliability of Harvard-Harris polling is? I'm seeing it get splashed around a lot on Facebook and their methodology looks sound enough.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Radish posted:

They are apparently also using his tweets that had a BS rationalization based on nothing (we have to save money by kicking out trans people) as an example of how it's obviously discriminatory.

See, I don't think it's intended to be discriminatory. I think Trump is so dumb, he can't hear the dog whistle and thinks its a good "business" decision that will actually save money. That's why he doesn't use dog whistles in his speeches - he's such a huge moron he takes everything at face value.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

CompeAnansi posted:

This is probably a fairer and more balanced view of the Red Cross. That said, I feel like not enough people know of the shitshow that the Red Cross was in Haiti, so I'll continue to link charities that haven't messed up yet.

They definitely screwed up big time. Their actions in Haiti were really, really stupid - basically the equivalent of a Kickstarter that gets too much money and decides that now their videogame will ALSO be an MMO. With similar results.

I'm hopeful they can go a decade or two without a similar error and get back to their previous reputation.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

KillHour posted:

See, I don't think it's intended to be discriminatory. I think Trump is so dumb, he can't hear the dog whistle and thinks its a good "business" decision that will actually save money. That's why he doesn't use dog whistles in his speeches - he's such a huge moron he takes everything at face value.

What do we make of him blaming "globalists" for China trade imbalances? Just parroting Bannon? Because he seemed to be attempting to aim that word at some certain people in the room.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

The Glumslinger posted:

Yeah. Republican politicians generally tried to avoid the unvarnished racism, even if they were privately massive racists, because it wasn't seen as a vote winner. Now they know it is, they are all no doubt yearning to unleash their inner Hitler.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Radish posted:

Sounds to me like they're banking on the sex-discrimination angle triggering intermediate scrutiny, since the government can probably meet rational basis but not intermediate or strict scrutiny.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

Does anyone know what the reliability of Harvard-Harris polling is? I'm seeing it get splashed around a lot on Facebook and their methodology looks sound enough.

Check if fivethirtyeight has them on their list of pollsters. If not, send them an email and they'll look into it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Data Graham posted:

What do we make of him blaming "globalists" for China trade imbalances? Just parroting Bannon? Because he seemed to be attempting to aim that word at some certain people in the room.

"Globalists" = people who don't put America first = traitors.

It literally has nothing to do with Jews in Donnie's mind.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Radish posted:

Yeah exactly. Knowing that the only real reason he's being opposed so heavily by the media is because he openly attacked them from the start of his campaign and they still keep clinging to the hope he will turn into an entirely different person is really scary. If Trump was smart enough to lay off twitter and have a folksy joke for every evil order he pushed we'd be totally hosed.

Worse is knowing that you have these talking heads and editorial hacks trying so desperately to make an 'in' on normalizing Trump's insanity, no matter how forced. Philip Rucker's and Maggie Haberman's reactions to his rally and pardoning of Arpaio are just the most recent examples, and it seems like there's no real upper limit to how far the equivocation can go.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Data Graham posted:

People in THIS VERY THREAD have used "globalists" to mean "globalization". I had a person attack me because I suggested you avoid the first term and use the second one.

It could go either way on Trump meaning "Jew" or not.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

KillHour posted:

He's been publicly racist and sexist for decades and has recently outed himself as a white supremacist at best and a nazi at worst. I'm not giving him the benefit of the doubt that somehow trans people are the oppressed group he's actually cool with and just happens to be doing something bad to them because he doesn't know better. The rest of his party has been trying to equivocate trans people with child rapists so screw that.

Office Pig posted:

Worse is knowing that you have these talking heads and editorial hacks trying so desperately to make an 'in' on normalizing Trump's insanity, no matter how forced. Philip Rucker's and Maggie Haberman's reactions to his rally and pardoning of Arpaio are just the most recent examples, and it seems like there's no real upper limit to how far the equivocation can go.

Maggie Haberman used the pardon to insinuate that Jane Sanders was ok with his abuses when in actuality she was at his camps to shed some light on them. gently caress her she's scum.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 28, 2017

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Data Graham posted:

I have a wild theory: maybe he's a racist with a history of racism and a KKK dad and open racist theories and maybe there isn't any secret thing where he's not a racist in his true heart and is just a lenny forest gump that got lead astray by his pure innocent mind (that is narcissistic but otherwise pure of bad thoughts)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

People in THIS VERY THREAD have used "globalists" to mean "globalization". I had a person attack me because I suggested you avoid the first term and use the second one.

If Trump meant "Jew" he would say Jew. He would literally go on TV and tell the whole world that the Jews are to blame.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

News report was saying the water is currently 2 feet from the top of the levee now. Also that the water is rising at 4 inches per hour even with controlled release.

If that rate holds the levee will be topped late afternoon today.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

Trump may not specifically mean Jews, but Bannon did when he put the word in Trump's mouth and Donnie's fans sure know what it means.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

RIFTS player spotted.

RIFTS player spotted.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Radish posted:

He's been publicly racist and sexist for decades and has recently outed himself as a white supremacist at best and a nazi at worst. I'm not giving him the benefit of the doubt that somehow trans people are the oppressed group he's actually cool with and just happens to be doing something bad to them because he doesn't know better. The rest of his party has been trying to equivocate trans people with child rapists so screw that.

Maggie Haberman used the pardon to insinuate that Jane Sanders was complicit with his abuses when in actuality she was at his camps to shed some light on them. gently caress her she's scum.

No, he's totally a racist and sexist and he doesn't give a drat about transgender people. He just honestly thinks this is good policy BECAUSE of how bigoted he is. He's a loving moron and buys all the lies about transgender people being perverts and black people being thugs and Mexicans being rapists. His words are literally his current train of thought and there is no dog whistle or any filtering whatsoever.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Information update

Water running into the levees has been such that even during the emergency release, levels in the reservoir were continuing to rise. At this point it appears at least probable that one of the levees will go.

Brazos and San Bernard Rivers are also flooding more than anticipated. As a result, evacuation zones have been added and updated in the infopost. Please click there to see new, additional areas to :getout: of and a link to a set of charities that you can donate to to support the effected area, run by Charity Navigator.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Aug 28, 2017

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

KillHour posted:

If Trump meant "Jew" he would say Jew. He would literally go on TV and tell the whole world that the Jews are to blame.

"Sometimes bad people go and vandalize Jewish cemeteries, and sometimes it's the other way around."

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Deteriorata posted:

Trump may not specifically mean Jews, but Bannon did when he put the word in Trump's mouth and Donnie's fans sure know what it means.

You're not wrong.

I'm also, again, not saying he DOESN'T mean "Jew". Trump's a crazy person.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Glumslinger posted:

This is what scares me about Mike Pence, honestly.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Pence isn't really that competent either (he's the only loser that would join the Trump ticket after all) but after Trump the media is going to be desperate for a return to a monster that at least isn't announcing they are going to eat Tokyo before doing it.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
The takeaway here is that Trump is an idiot and you can't trust the things that he says or tweets in part because you can never be sure that he knows what he's talking about. You can trust that he's a racist piece of poo poo based on his actions, though.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Deadulus posted:

News report was saying the water is currently 2 feet from the top of the levee now. Also that the water is rising at 4 inches per hour even with controlled release.

Is that levee different from the Barker and Addicks (drat autocorrect) reservoirs? Sorry for a dumb question, just wondering because the reservoir sensors don't appear to be that high yet according to the website.

FourLeaf fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Aug 28, 2017

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Cythereal posted:

Mike Pence is not competent.

He is, however, absolutely not capable of ruining things internationally the way that Trump is.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

business hammocks posted:

"Sometimes bad people go and vandalize Jewish cemeteries, and sometimes it's the other way around."

He literally thought Democrats were going around vandalizing Jewish cemeteries to make the alt right look bad, yes. I'm not apologizing for the guy, I'm saying "know thy enemy." The dude is a petty thin skinned moron who has to deflect all attacks as fake because he has more cognitive dissonance about himself than North Korea has about the Kims. It's so transparent and anyone who thinks he's hiding some sort of master plan is deluded.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Mike Pence, for his Himalayan-sized pile of faults, is unlikely to start a shooting war with another country over Twitter without first informing State and the DOD.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

theflyingorc posted:

They definitely screwed up big time. Their actions in Haiti were really, really stupid - basically the equivalent of a Kickstarter that gets too much money and decides that now their videogame will ALSO be an MMO. With similar results.

I'm hopeful they can go a decade or two without a similar error and get back to their previous reputation.

For additional context, it didn't just happen randomly when they found themselves with lots of money. There were a lot of outraged articles at the time of "The Red Cross might end up using your Haiti donation for some other disaster somewhere else!", I recall.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

theflyingorc posted:

You're not wrong.

I'm also, again, not saying he DOESN'T mean "Jew". Trump's a crazy person.

With racists, "globalists" tends to both mean "Jews" and "rich liberals" at the same time, ambiguously and in different contexts. So a hard-right Jewish guy would not be a "globalist" to most right-wingers who aren't actual Nazis, but a guy like Warren Buffet, a liberal agnostic Presbyterian, would definitely be. They get really crazy when someone is *both* like George Soros.

I'm sure sociologists could write whole books on this.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

FourLeaf posted:

Is that levee different from the Barker and Addison reservoirs? Sorry for a dumb question, just wondering because the reservoir sensors don't appear to be that high yet according to the website.

Possibly. I was listening to the live conference going on in Houston about the flooding. The spokesperson just said the water was two feet below the top of the levee. I don't know if he was talking about a different one or not.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

FourLeaf posted:

Is that levee different from the Barker and Addison reservoirs? Sorry for a dumb question, just wondering because the reservoir sensors don't appear to be that high yet according to the website.

They are super high, I don't know what you're seeing?

https://www.harriscountyfws.org/

But levee can also refer to Conroe dam:
https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv/?site_no=08067600&agency_cd=USGS

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 28, 2017

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

Mike Pence is not competent.

He is, however, absolutely not capable of ruining things internationally the way that Trump is.

Pence is, at least, a small-d democrat, who believes in the rule of law and Constitutional separation of powers (as far as we know, anyway). He's a different sort of evil, but one who at least will use the system to wreak his havok rather than just destroy everything.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BarbarianElephant posted:

I'm sure sociologists could write whole books on this.

My girlfriend is a sociologist who specializes in attitudes towards immigrants and I want to pick her brain about this so bad but she won't talk about it because it makes her angry.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Deadulus posted:

This is bad.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

You can almost hear the exact moment he regrets his part in all this, and then Trump decides he needs to go. This was a great speech, but part of me thinks I was only moved because we've dealt with Trump for so long that speaking basic English would come across as a beautiful sonata at this point. There is one blessing to Trump though: what we are seeing is conservatism taken to its full, logical end. This isn't 'a few bad apples' creating this divisiveness. This is that 'compassionate conservatism'. The GOP has always been about otherism and now its happening.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

WrenP-Complete posted:

They are super high, I don't know what you're seeing?

https://www.harriscountyfws.org/

But levee can also refer to Conroe dam:
https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv/?site_no=08067600&agency_cd=USGS

They're definitely dangerously high but neither is only 2 feet from the top as of now.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Cythereal posted:

Mike Pence has all the charisma of a punctured colostomy bag and was dramatically unpopular in his home state after literally acting to increase the STD epidemic in Indiana via shutting down clean needle programs. He has none of the allure of a "successful millionaire outsider businessman" which gets Trumpers all hot and horny for authoritarianism and all of the baggage of being a single-term Governor who hosed up his state hard being one of the "usual politicians" trumpesters claim to hate.

Trump is given a pass by his followers for playing a role as a successful business owner on TV (because they literally worship the wealthy via prosperity theology) and Trump declares himself a "winner" at every turn. Pence is a horrible loser and would've lost re-election in his home state, so people will be less willing to go to bat for that fucker.

Edit: soundly beaten but still, gently caress Pence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Radish posted:

Pence isn't really that competent either (he's the only loser that would join the Trump ticket after all) but after Trump the media is going to be desperate for a return to a monster that at least isn't announcing they are going to eat Tokyo before doing it.

There is no timeline that flynn going down doesn't take pence out with him since horsefucker was in charge of the transition and already knew flynn was under investigation and sat on the information. oh he also lied about knowing anything when it turned out flynn was working for at least the turkish government while sitting on the security council.

• Locked thread