Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Deadulus posted:

News report was saying the water is currently 2 feet from the top of the levee now. Also that the water is rising at 4 inches per hour even with controlled release.

If that rate holds the levee will be topped late afternoon today.

If it is topped without failure that pretty much means it will continue to hold, right? It should still be better than if it just broke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

FourLeaf posted:

They're definitely dangerously high but neither is only 2 feet from the top as of now.

Oh, that's because the spillway isn't the same as the levee. I'll try to find a map.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Al Borland Corp. posted:

If it is topped without failure that pretty much means it will continue to hold, right? It should still be better than if it just broke?

no.

once it starts going in a way it wasn't designed to it won't stop.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Al Borland Corp. posted:

If it overtops it's extremely likely to break.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Depends. I don't know how it is constructed by I would assume if it is topped it will start eroding the earthen walls like a saw chewing its way down.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

WrenP-Complete posted:

If it overtops it's extremely likely to break.

How does that work? I would figure at that point it is taking the maximum amount of weight on one side it can, and the stuff going over would shore up the other side.

Edit: oh, the non man-made parts would fail, and the levee is attached to those, ok I get it.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

WrenP-Complete posted:

Oh that's because the spillway isn't the same as the levee.

Ah, OK. Is there a place to get real-time information about the levee?

e: oh you edited

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Al Borland Corp. posted:

How does that work? I would figure at that point it is taking the maximum amount of weight on one side it can, and the stuff going over would shore up the other side.

Edit: oh, the non man-made parts would fail, and the levee is attached to those, ok I get it.

erosion, if it overflows the levee it's going to start eating away at it and making failure more likely

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Like so:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VRGTkCv3sU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Imagine a levee as a board with a bunch of dirt propping it up on one side. If you pour water on one side then it's fine, it will just sit there. But if you pour it on the other side the dirt will start washing away and the board falls over.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Water flow over the top erodes the structure of the dam increasing water flow over the top and allowing more structure to be eroded. Worst case scenario is it effectively chews through the earth like a buzz saw causing a catastrophic failure.

Captain Snaps
Jul 27, 2003

Maintol!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

If it goes over, the water flowing over can dig in to the ground BEHIND the wall, weakening the integrity of the wall.Once it goes over, it is a matter of time before it gouges a rut and causes the wall to fail.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Overtopping is what will cause the breach, assuming there aren't structural deficiencies that cause it to fail first.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The levee is an earthen mound with a thin strip of concrete on top. Once flood waters start to flow over it they will erode the backside, and that erosion will quickly cause the (inevitable once it starts happening) failure of the levee.

Also sorry all about misniforming you about the risk of the levee collapsing just from the pressure against it. As has been mentioned by several other goons I was in error.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Deadulus posted:

Depends. I don't know how it is constructed by I would assume if it is topped it will start eroding the earthen walls like a saw chewing its way down.

This. Water overtopping carries a little bit of earth with it as it goes, lowering the rim, which allows more and faster-flowing water over, which carries more earth, etc etc and now you have no more dam. Also all the stuff sloughing off the backside washes away, meaning a third of the mass holding back the water just got washed downstream.

If there's any flow at all over the top it's very very bad.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

FourLeaf posted:

Ah, OK. Is there a place to get real-time information about the levee?

Yeah, its slightly confusing because levees in colloquial speech can mean the sides of the embankments also, and I think also like "neighborhoods affected by levees" are also called levees. If you look at those harris county links, you can see "Key Elevation" markers at the top. Addicks at 103.58' and 103.8 is the next key elevation: Low Point of Barker Cypress Rd.

I'll see if I can find a map that shows a bigger picture of what's going on.

Here's current water channel status, to start with: (red is overflowing, yellow is at danger of overflowing)

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 28, 2017

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
This guy is a local meterologist with the Harris County Flood Control District.

https://twitter.com/JeffLindner1/status/902185372368678912

A nearby creek is (just about to start) flooding directly into the Addicks reservoir.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Prester Jane posted:

A nearby creek is (just about to start) flooding directly into the Addicks reservoir.

Addicks gate is OPEN in response, fyi.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Concrete armoring is unusual on levees IME.

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Loot at all this bullshit.
Who lets something like this happen?

WrenP-Complete posted:

Addicks gate is OPEN in response, fyi.

It's been open since midnight, and the water has kept rising...

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Prester Jane posted:

To explain this in more detail. Cyprus creek does not flow into the reservoir, it skirts the north of the city then connects with the San Jacinto river which flows through Lake Houston and into the bay.

However upper portion of the creek are near the watershed that flows into Addicks reservoir, and since the creek is flooding so much, extra water is flowing into the Reservoir from areas that wouldn't normally contribute.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

donoteat posted:

Huh, it was reading as closed on the website? Maybe something didn't update correctly on my end.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

KillHour posted:

This is bad.

Is it going to be "levee breaks in New Orleans" level of bad?

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

donoteat posted:

I don't think it is fully open yet. The Houston OEM did a press conference talking about how they were going to increase the water release and warning people that the buffalo bayou area was going to have even more rising water.

But that may be the other Reservoir and not Addicks. Is Barker and Addicks to separate reservoirs or a single one?

Raccooon fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 28, 2017

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

If any levee fails then that's a full-on Katrina-level total destruction of a large swathe of Houston, right? :ohdear:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Deadulus posted:

I don't think it is fully open yet. The Houston OEM did a press conference talking about how they were going to increase the water release and warning people that the buffalo bayou area was going to have even more rising water.

But that may be the other Reservoir and not Addicks.

Barker and Addicks are have their gates open as of just after midnight per

https://www.harriscountyfws.org/GageDetail/Index/2010?view=full

And

https://www.harriscountyfws.org/GageDetail/Index/2110?view=full

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Deadulus posted:

This is correct from my information.

Also I believe the water being within two feet of the top of the levee also refers to cyprus creek.

https://twitter.com/JeffLindner1/status/902167149292204032

Oddly enough if this levee collapses it could be good news for Addicks as the upstream water will be able to flow into a new area down stream instead of moving into the Addicks basin.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

farraday posted:

Also I believe the water being within two feet of the top of the levee also refers to cyprus creek.

Oddly enough if this levee collapses it could be good news for Addicks as the upstream water will be able to flow into a new area down stream instead of moving into the Addicks basin.

Should the army corps of engineers calculate that risk and maybe blow the thing?

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Deadulus posted:

But that may be the other Reservoir and not Addicks. Is Barker and Addicks to separate reservoirs or a single one?

They are two separate (but parallel) reservoirs. A failure at either one is very bad. Like "high rise buildings in downtown Houston potentially knocked over" bad.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

I meant that the flood gates weren't opened to full yet, only a partial opening. The press conference was saying they would be slowly increasing the release and to expect the water in Buffalo Bayou to rise.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Should the army corps of engineers calculate that risk and maybe blow the thing?

that didn't go well in NoLA

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

farraday posted:

Unfortunately, it would basically flood a third of houston

It won't be like a huge wave out of a movie, just an insane loving flash flood

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Your Taint posted:

Is it going to be "levee breaks in New Orleans" level of bad?

Almost certainly yes.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Al Borland Corp. posted:

That would be basically the exact same thing as letting it fail on its own, and since the flood path of it hasn't been fully evacuated, it would probably be better to let it buy the Extra time and let it wreck itself

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Conroe dam is also doing a water release. More evacuations announced. Updating the resource list.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Just an fyi but the Twitter api will display the previous tweet in addition to the current when they're all linked together, so you can cut this down by half. Linked images/articles won't show up though unless it's the current tweet.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Not nearly an expert but probably not. While Cyprus creek is overflowing into the Addicks watershed, the majority of the watershed is still going to cyprus creek. Unless the watershed itself shifts (like a new channel is created) the overflow is relatively minor compared to the amount coming in from Addicks watershed.

Edit:

So brown here is the creek watershed and green heads into the reservoir, so you can see how overflow works, but unless the channel shifts to flow directly into the reservoir instead of to the east it's only a minor issue compared to the size of the watersheds.

farraday fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 28, 2017

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Deadulus posted:

I meant that the flood gates weren't opened to full yet, only a partial opening. The press conference was saying they would be slowly increasing the release and to expect the water in Buffalo Bayou to rise.

I'm not sure what full capacity is but they said they would be up to 4,000cfs from each by this morning http://www.swg.usace.army.mil/Media/News-Releases/Article/1291369/corps-releases-at-addicks-and-barker-dams-to-begin/

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
This is from a few pages back, but I don't expect any long-term ecological disaster when all of the nasty floodwater makes it into the Gulf. There will be local/regional impacts for months to a year or so but most of the nasty poo poo will get diluted and mixed into the larger Gulf.

I would expect some less-soluble toxic stuff like PAHs (from petroleum industry), lead, cadmium in sediments to be elevated for up to a few decades, so maybe limit your consumption of locally-fished shrimp, molluscs, and bottom-feeding fishes.

edit: oh also, the UT marine science institute in Port Aransas got severely damaged during the landfall, but thankfully no casualties and from facebook it sounds like they managed to save most/all of their samples in storage. Which is a pretty big deal. https://news.utexas.edu/2017/08/27/...=UTAustinSocial

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Information post updated.

• Locked thread