Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

psydude posted:

I never got why managers get offended by people quitting.

There are managers that care about their employees as people, and work to help them succeed professionally, whether it's on their team or the next. These are managers who will help mentor you, and you'd put on your references for your next gig. You only leave these managers because they can't offer you the position or growth that you're looking for (and they know that).

Then there are managers that care about their employees as cogs in their machine, and work to ensure that you can never leave, until they want you gone. These are the managers that you have to make up an excuse if you wanted to interview somewhere else, and you won't list as a reference because they'd get pissed if they knew you were looking. These are also the managers that will steal credit from your work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I guess they believe people don't quit jobs, they quit on managers.

So each person quitting is a reminder of them being a failure.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

LochNessMonster posted:

I guess they believe people don't quit jobs, they quit on managers.

So each person quitting is a reminder of them being a failure.

To be fair, this can be quite accurate...

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Yep, getting a new lovely manager that replaced a decent boss that left was a large factor on me leaving the first three jobs in my career. Hopefully that trend gets broken with the current one and I think it will, since it's a profitable company that has good leadership and people.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Wibla posted:

To be fair, this can be quite accurate...

it is indeed very common for people to quit (just) because of their boss. It doesn't have to be personal though, which is what emotional people usually make of a situation like this.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

When we were acquired, I was forced to give up someone on my team to a team to our new parent company. I've been working steadily trying to get that person back on my team (or at least into a position that was better fit for that person's skills) and warned senior management more than once that if they didn't challenge this person that they would get bored and leave.

Well, finally on Friday I got movement on that and it looked like I was going to be able to perform a rescue. Nothing was official or communicated yet and I literally found out that it was a sound possibility at about 3:30pm.

At 5:30pm, that person came to me and told me that they had given notice earlier in the week and was moving on.

I'm happy for that person as it sounds like the new opportunity is great, but goddamn did that timing suck.

Bad management sucks and bleeds people like crazy.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

In our IT dept, my boss has had 1 person leave in 20 years and that's cause the guy retired. It's a mix of him being a good manager, and half the IT dept are absolutely 100% not at all big on career advancement and are happy just having a job.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Amazon has IT covered

http://www.sfgate.com/business/article/Here-s-where-Amazon-offers-2-hour-booze-delivery-11960908.php

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah you can get Prime Now deliveries of chilled beer in London, Manchester etc. as well. Though walking to the shop is cheaper.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Thanks Ants posted:

Though walking to the shop is cheaper.

I don't think you understand why delivered booze is awesome.

Hint: it's not the cost savings. :D

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

GreenNight posted:

In our IT dept, my boss has had 1 person leave in 20 years and that's cause the guy retired. It's a mix of him being a good manager, and half the IT dept are absolutely 100% not at all big on career advancement and are happy just having a job.
This sounds awful.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Vulture Culture posted:

This sounds awful.

Some people are 115% content to show up and collect a paycheck and as long as that isn't threatened, why rock the boat. See also local/municipal gov.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Vulture Culture posted:

This sounds awful.

It's actually not bad. They do their jobs.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Vulture Culture posted:

This sounds awful.

Sounds pretty nice to me.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

One of the guys that I worked with at two jobs is happy to be doing hardware repair. He feels like it pays well (probably about $25/hour, I don't know for sure), it's stable, and he enjoys it. Good for him, I guess. Some people have different priorities.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Those people are going to be completely hosed if they ever end up unemployed though.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

big money big clit posted:

Those people are going to be completely hosed if they ever end up unemployed though.

Nah, there's lots of companies out there that want their IT done exactly as some random company out there has done it for 20 years.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Nah, there's lots of companies out there that want their IT done exactly as some random company out there has done it for 20 years.

No threat to middle management with career advancement (up, or lateral to another team), just turns up and gets the job done for the foreseeable future. The ideal docile employee and can they have a dozen more like him please?

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Vulture Culture posted:

This sounds awful.

Depends really, as with leaving for another job people tend to stay for different reasons.

At my last place of employment people were there for 40 years and some of those did sound like they loved the routine and the predictability of it all.
Other people recognized that there's only 2 organisations in the country that would enable them to work on the problems and solutions they loved to work on and as the other one isn't hiring they see no reason to leave.

Hell, at my current job I'm one of the most experienced people when it comes to working in different organisations and it's weird to have both "the new guy" and "experienced veteran" aura because of this.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Plus, it's not a bad gig if you aren't looking to ever be promoted. 40 hour weeks, average benefits, etc. They're happy and that's fine.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Fewer every day.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

big money big clit posted:

Fewer every day.

There's more than enough.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

There's more than enough.

The economy will definitely never collapse again.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

milk milk lemonade posted:

Just put an offer letter out to someone who is apparently starting Tuesday but I'd said whenever is cool :thunk:

Either recruiting didn't relay what I was saying properly or this guy is not as employed as he said or his current job is horrific or I hosed up

Or he gave notice and they gave him gardening leave. It happens.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

SeaborneClink posted:

Some people are 115% content to show up and collect a paycheck and as long as that isn't threatened, why rock the boat. See also local/municipal gov.
Sure, I get that for any given individual. But an organization running with 0% attrition is an organization that, regardless of drive or competency, will never introduce a new perspective into the way it approaches problems. It's only viable if you never need to compete or adapt (see: municipal government).

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
The last place I left, was super supportive and wished me the best. The place before that though. Oh man. They hadn't paid me for 6+ months and I told the ceo that I was quitting because i hadn't been paid. He then went completely ballistic. Called me a money wolf. that I only care about money. that he was going to give me 2% of the company shares. But now he wasn't going to do that. That I was throwing away a once in a lifetime chance. that people like me are terrible and i finally revealed my true colors.
I was so glad I left that company. It took me half an year to get them to finally give me the salary that they owed me for all the unpaid labor.

Never again.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Have they gone under yet?

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
They declared bankruptcy a year after I left.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Vulture Culture posted:

It's only viable if you never need to compete or adapt (see: municipal government).

Yeah... about that, I switched from (semi)public-service to corporate and people keep saying this. But I switched to this company, because they offered me a more stable environment than public service and their cutbacks/reorganizations.
It was like tapdancing on quicksand.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Thom and the Heads posted:

The more I think about it, the less bummed and more angry I get. My manager basically gave me a disappointed dad speech about how they took me when no one else would (lol I had a ccna and they were the first place I applied to) and how I "showed what kind of person I am". "This is why people don't hire millennials". Totally unprofessional.

That's grounds for just packing up and leaving. It's not like he was going to give you a reference anyway.

I'm still waiting to hear back from the university hopefully today. Maybe I'll finally get the offer letter, or get told there were too many issues with the hiring process and they're going with somebody else (haha I hope to god it's not this).

I checked and they are using Peoplesoft so that may explain why my application got corrupted.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

IndustrialApe posted:

Yeah... about that, I switched from (semi)public-service to corporate and people keep saying this. But I switched to this company, because they offered me a more stable environment than public service and their cutbacks/reorganizations.
It was like tapdancing on quicksand.
Stability of the company aside, where do the people in your company stand with respect to pursuit of advancement opportunities?

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Aug 28, 2017

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Vulture Culture posted:

Stability of the company aside, where do the people in your company stand with respect to pursuit of advancement opportunities?

Most of them are happy where they are and I've spoken to several people that have been working at this company their entire career (20+ years).

...to add to that, in my experience people at the municipal government tend to be governed by members of the council that tend to be like Vince McMahon-like in their attention span and demeanor.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Sefal posted:

The last place I left, was super supportive and wished me the best. The place before that though. Oh man. They hadn't paid me for 6+ months and I told the ceo that I was quitting because i hadn't been paid. He then went completely ballistic. Called me a money wolf. that I only care about money. that he was going to give me 2% of the company shares. But now he wasn't going to do that. That I was throwing away a once in a lifetime chance. that people like me are terrible and i finally revealed my true colors.
I was so glad I left that company. It took me half an year to get them to finally give me the salary that they owed me for all the unpaid labor.

Never again.

I get that poo poo happens. If my company misses a paycheck, I'll give them a week to rectify it, *maybe* two if they've proven to be trustworthy in the past, but after that, I'm out.

How the gently caress did you let that go on for six months?!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I wish I could just go 6 months without getting paid and just be like :shrug:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Oh poo poo I read it as six weeks.

The first time a paycheck got missed and there wasn't a firm answer that I actually believed on when I could expect to be paid in full I'd be packing my laptop up and looking for something else to do.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I was an intern there while I was studying. They hired me after the internship was over and paid me the first few months. I was still in school at that time. and stupidly let it go on for all those months. Because i believed that the experience would benefit me later on. I finally stopped it. and the last year I just focused on graduating.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
You don't pay me? I don't come to work.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I discovered I haven't actually gotten paid for the PTO I've taken this year. We're a small company with payroll outsourced, and the third party cocked it up.

So now I'm getting 21 days worth of PTO in one lump sum. :homebrew:

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Re: people leaving, I agree with the thread consensus that management should be chill and wish them well, but I make (made) an exception for people who don't stick for a reasonable amount of time. During my 13 years as a manager, the only time I ever complained about someone leaving was when someone came to my UNIX SA team out of the NOC, stayed barely long enough to get into our oncall rotation, and then quit. I told him straight up that I thought it was unfair to us, especially to the SA who had spend dozens of hours mentoring him, and that he should handle his job searches more carefully in the future.

Unrelated question: how long does it usually take vendors to deliver quotes for you? I'm constantly astonished that it takes our current VAR days to turn around what seem like straightforward server quotes. If I can do something in ten minutes on Dell's retail web site, why does it take days to provide corporate pricing for the same thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Unrelated question: how long does it usually take vendors to deliver quotes for you? I'm constantly astonished that it takes our current VAR days to turn around what seem like straightforward server quotes. If I can do something in ten minutes on Dell's retail web site, why does it take days to provide corporate pricing for the same thing?

If they're not crap, they're probably checking availabilities.