Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Barudak posted:

Send the letter back along with a note saying they have the wrong person as youve never had any grandparemts

Wow.

Not saying I disagree, but that's ice cold, Jack Frost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

Wow.

Not saying I disagree, but that's ice cold, Jack Frost.

Its the only rea outcome, treat them exactly as reality indicates it has. I think i posted this story here before by a friend of mine in college recieved a letter from his father who abandoned him as a child that now that his new family son had died leaving him with only daughters and my friends older brother was gay, it fell on my froend to carry on the family name.

The response was roughly "the person who is the second son of [full name] and younger brother of [full name] is named [full name, no fathers last name]"

Barudak fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Aug 28, 2017

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

I [15M] bought my girlfriend's dad a PS4 and people are calling me a homo for it.

"guess i'm too much of a homo to date your dumbass friend" is the appropriate response

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

I [15M] bought my girlfriend's dad a PS4 and people are calling me a homo for it.

This is a super nice gesture and her dad will always remember you fondly, but note Im using past tense here because you are 15 and one of you to will assuredly gently caress this all up. You invested too heavily in long term dad futures in a volatile and frothy market

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

My eccentric girlfriend (26 F) has told my family that we are "lovers". I (28 M) am so embarrassed.

quote:

My girlfriend is great, I love her dearly and we're getting married soon (we've been a couple for 3 years). She is somewhat eccentric though, and using certain archaic terms for things is one of her eccentricities. She reads lots of old books and she thinks the words "lover" or "making love" mean something non-sexual.

She told several members of my family that we've been "lovers" for almost 3 years. My father is an Evangelical pastor, so my family's not big on pre-marital sex (actually that's putting it very mildly). And we're not having sex, we've never had sexual intercourse

Does it sound like my family (she said this to all of my siblings and my parents!) now thinks we are having sex? Is that what anyone would think if you knew that 2 people are "lovers". I'm so embarrassed by this, while she thinks that "they knew what she meant".

tl;dr My gf is somewhat eccentric and she tends to use antiquated words/phrases. She told my family that we have been "lovers" for 3 years. Do people interpret this as meaning we're having sex? Did she just accidentally tell my whole family that we've been having sex for 3 years (which we haven't)?

Well, first off, remedy the bolded bit, and secondly:

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/hot-tub-lovers/3505918

"There is no greater aphrodisiac than the hottub!"

"Yes, lover, form a human chain!"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

WampaLord posted:

My eccentric girlfriend (26 F) has told my family that we are "lovers". I (28 M) am so embarrassed.

I think you may need to sit her down and have "the talk" with her before she starts putting a dress on your dining room table to cover up its brazen harlot legs

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Yes, finance, yesssss

My [41M] wife [36F] having financial disagreement over savings

quote:

u/Riptide_NVN
I make around 20% more than my wife. We keep separate accounts. For several years I took care of over half our living expenses while she was in school. Now we split it 50/50.

A year ago I agreed to move closer to her family to save the marriage. We made an agreement to an amount each month to save for the move. I match her deposit. This seemed fair to me.

It has come to my attention she may be slowly building debt on credit to support her deposits into the move fund. She stated she does not want to make smaller deposits because I will then be matching less and it will take longer to save what we need. She does not want to delay the move. We've lived far from her family for years and she is at the end of her rope.

Am I being selfish by not wanting to put more into this than she is able?

tl;dr

One spouse expecting the other to save more towards a common goal than they are.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Milotic posted:

Yes, finance, yesssss

Whatever the hell is wrong with the both of you isnt going to get fixed by moving back nearer to the factory that hosed up your production run.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
"But, why would I share equally with the person I pledged to love and be a partner to for the rest of our lives? Just because we're supposed to share our hardships and triumphs doesn't mean I have to share my fun money too!"

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The fact that they're moving "to save the marriage" in the first place is a pretty telling sign

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Danaru posted:

The fact that they're moving "to save the marriage" in the first place is a pretty telling sign

Wasn't that how gone girl started

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Eh, if this is her requirement to save the marriage I can see why he wants her to take the lead in it (hence matching her contribution) but overall things do not sound healthy here. She seems to be putting a lot of pressure on herself to meet this target she has set.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

maskenfreiheit posted:

[TX] Getting divorced while being basically FWBs? (self.legaladvice)

This is a few pages back, but I'm responding anyway! Nah dude, the judge is totally gonna make you whip out your dick and she's gonna have to show her pussy, and HE'LL KNOW YOU BEEN HAVING SEX.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Barudak posted:

Send the letter back along with a note saying they have the wrong person as youve never had any grandparemts
:master:

Seriously, nothing would be as good as this.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Milotic posted:

A cheery story for the bank holiday Monday:

My [M 28] grandparents [M 71/ F 69] abandoned me 'cause I'm biracial - now my grandmother "wants to get to know me."

I read the comments section on this one, the OP mentions that his grandmother tried to contact him via letters when he was younger, but they stopped after a point as he never responded.

Saying they came from a different time where the man 'took the lead' sounds like granddad may have been a lovely controlling husband, and now that he's finally dead, she can try again to make contact. (I'm saying it's a possibility based on his mention of their different behaviors at the funeral)

However, the OP had a lot to deal with growing up, especially rejection by his only living relatives) so he has every right to decide to not respond to the letter.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Aug 28, 2017

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

MF_James posted:

This is a few pages back, but I'm responding anyway! Nah dude, the judge is totally gonna make you whip out your dick and she's gonna have to show her pussy, and HE'LL KNOW YOU BEEN HAVING SEX.

"bailiff, instruct the defendant to LEMMME SMELL YO DICK"

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Meanwhile, on Knifecrime Island:

My dad is threatening to sue me (self.LegalAdviceUK)

quote:

Ok so last week I gave an interview to a local paper about being gay. They asked me how I came out, and whether my parents were ok with it, and I answered honestly. My dad was not happy and it is a large part of why he and I no longer speak. I didn't identify him by name, although I am myself named and there is a photograph of me.

This morning he rang my mum and my sister to say that he is suing both me and the paper for defamation; the paper because they have money and me to 'teach me a lesson'. Is it likely that he will succeed? Does he have a leg to stand on, legally?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

LadyPictureShow posted:

I read the comments section on this one, the OP mentions that his grandmother tried to contact him via letters when he was younger, but they stopped after a point as he never responded.

Saying they came from a different time where the man 'took the lead' sounds like granddad may have been a lovely controlling husband, and now that he's finally dead, she can try again to make contact. (I'm saying it's a possibility based on his mention of their different behaviors at the funeral)

However, the OP had a lot to deal with growing up, especially rejection by his only living relatives) so he has every right to decide to not respond to the letter.

he was probably lovely and controlling but she is definitely not Encino Woman frozen in an iceberg in a pre-suffrage age and only recently thawed in the modern era. She is a contemporary of countless people who found a way to assert themselves against or extricate themselves from lovely controlling people, rather than enable their abuse of others. It's not the OP's job to sort out strange womens' lack of spine for them, especially given the very prospect of dealing with this one's poo poo is already doing him harm.

maskenfreiheit posted:

oh man that search is a goldmine

My estranged biological father (a trained lawyer) is threatening to have my adult adoption overturned and to sue me for filial support. Is...is this really possible? (MD)

quote:

My parents divorced when I was a teen. My father did not pursue custody, and cut off contact with me when his request that I get my mom to drop the child support order went unfulfilled. We’ve had no contact in the nearly ten years that have elapsed since then, although he occasionally pops to harass my mother over old paid-off debts and long-sold family heirlooms.

My mother went on to remarry a phenomenal man, who was overjoyed to add me to his squad of adoring daughters. We have many common interests and are very close. I call him “Papa” and “Pop”, and we are, in every sense but biologically, very much father and daughter. We decided to finally make it legit and went through the very quick and easy process of adult adoption (my mother also adopted his three now-adult daughters).

My bio-dad, somehow, found out about this (we unthinkingly shared our happy family news on social media, so I guess I dug my own grave here). This morning, I got a letter from him saying that he would not be cheated out of his parental rights, and that he will be having the adoption overturned. Although his law license was revoked when he was caught embezzling from his firm over a decade ago, it sounds like he’s sat the bar again and had it restored in his state (NJ), because he signed it “esquire”, which I’m under the impression is illegal for someone who does not have a valid law license to do. He specifically mentioned his right to filial support, saying that since he was forced to pay support for me since I’m biologically his, I should have to do the same, and that once he gets the adoption overturned, he’ll be filing for support. I was really freaked out to see that both New Jersey and my home state of Maryland have filial support laws that he could technically try to get enforced. I know it’s rare, but since he’s a trained lawyer, I’m afraid he’ll do whatever he can to mess with my life now that he knows I’ve removed him from it entirely. (I took my mother’s maiden name when I was 20, and that spurred him to embroil her in a lengthy court battle that I won’t go into except to say that it was very messy and expensive.)

Will he really be able to have the adoption overturned? We did everything by the book, but I know that regular adoptions are overturned all the time if the bio-dad shows up and says he wasn’t properly notified/didn’t consent/whatever. Obviously he doesn’t have parental rights over a legal adult (I’m 25), but could he have himself reclassified as my next of kin, over my pop? When we got the adoption done, we also had medical POA’s done, which list my mom and pop as my agents. Should the worst happen, they know that I wouldn’t want to be on life support, and would act accordingly. Now that this mess has come up, I’m worried that my bio-dad will attempt to overturn my POA. Is that even possible? I know that this is a far-out scenario, but now I’m worried that if something awful were to happen to me, my bio-dad will be able to show up and start a Terry Shaivo-style battle with my mom and pop over my wishes, since that’s essentially the only right that he would gain from overturning the adoption.

Although I know that lawyers make empty threats all the time, my suspicion that he’s re-taken the bar just to fight me on this makes me worry that there is something legitimate behind his threats to overturn the adoption and sue me for support. I would love some info on adult adoption/POA’s.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 28, 2017

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

maskenfreiheit posted:

I prefer Rum & Sodomy Quay, myself.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Milotic posted:

Yes, finance, yesssss

I have a feeling there's a lot more to the moving than we're getting, but if you're moving closer to her family to "save the marriage" there's a massive chance this all goes down in flames anyways but...I will forever laugh and wonder why people loving bother getting married when they get super anal about keeping their finances separated and get annoyed when their "financial independence" is hindered by their marriage partner.

If he's on board for the move and what it means to their relationship then be all in and contribute in a way that doesn't needlessly put you into CC debt and drive your wife insane. Don't be all "beep bop, but I agreed to match what you do, so if you do less then I do less" because you're not a company matching employee 401k contributions, dick.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
"Other people were able to leave their abuser, why didn't you" is always a gross argument. And in what way was the kid abused (unless you think not adopting someone is abuse?) and how did she enable that abuse? And how is she asking him to "sort out her spine"?

He doesn't have to respond, you can always just not, but all the evidence points to the grandfather being bad and controlling the grandma's life against her wishes. Whether the kid gives a poo poo is up to him, but that sounds like what the situation is.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

There is zero sign she was abused, what there is bountiful evidence of is that she participated in abandoning her grandchild. The Nuremberg Defense doesn't work for soldiers with an actual legal chain of command capable of imprisoning or executing them and I hold in fathomless contempt whatever ideology thinks it's valid for just, like, random fuckin' people deciding to back up racists picking on small children. Congrats on finding a social-justicey way to argue it's cool to disown your family for miscegenation.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 28, 2017

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The american foster system does not typically result in outcomes anywhere near as positive as the OPs experience, especially for kids of non-white ethnicities. I am not going to plumb the depths on abusive relationships, especially because there is nothing directly in the story or follow ups stating there was one.

What I am going to say is if you allow a blood relative to go into foster system when you are capable of caring for them they are not your relative and there are no letters that can rectify that.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
She didn't abandon him. She couldn't adopt him, but she still did what she could to try to communicate with him. The kid can decide that's not enough for him and that's fine, but it may have been all she could do. (Although tbh if she had somehow gotten controlling racist bad granddad to adopt him, that's not really looking like an improvement in the kid's life.)

But anyway yeah she was born in 1947, there's no excuse for her not to be woke and strong and #flawless, it's disgusting how she just let herself be controlled, and basically she did the holocaust

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

"well you see this racist who cut me out of her family for my tainted bloodline isn't that bad because she didn't actively cause the holocaust" - a totally sane, not retarded person

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

wait, no, that's both insane and retarded. anne whateley, you're a bad poster and a stupid person.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Anne Whateley posted:

She didn't abandon him.

quote:

When my dad proposed, they gave my mom an ultimatum – them or my dad. She chose the latter. In response, my grandparents disowned my mother and had nothing to do with my family.

When my parents died, my grandparents refused to take me in.

:thunk::thunk::thunk:

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Milotic posted:

My [M 28] grandparents [M 71/ F 69] abandoned me 'cause I'm biracial - now my grandmother "wants to get to know me."

Respond cautiously, but then warm up over a series of letters. Make plans to visit. Don't show up. Stop responding to letters. Ghost her just as the grandfather did.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
In the comments he says she wrote letters.

I mean I see she had 3 possible choices:

1 - Somehow convince granddad to take him in. Granddad is still hella racist and controlling. Seems unlikely to end well.

2 - Roll the dice on someone better than granddad adopting him, and try to stay in touch secretly. Pretty risky roll of the dice.

3 - Leave granddad and take him in alone. She's already retirement-age and chances are granddad was the breadwinner. How they're going to function cut off from money and family seems questionable.

I mean I absolutely hope I'd choose #3, but I also wasn't born in 1947 and haven't lived with a controlling guy for 30 years. That poo poo will gently caress with you.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

well granddad came to adulthood in the 60s as well, he probably knew a racist. really nobody's to blame and if you think about it actually nobody did anything wrong, OP should just suck up his entitlement to things like 'a family' and 'not being abandoned as a child'. it's unreasonable to expect that anyone ever do a decent thing for a black person until we trace all evil back to the unmoved mover who invented cruelty without ever having personally experienced it beforehand, for we are all but helpless slaves to his sinister design

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Anne Whateley posted:

She didn't abandon him. She couldn't adopt him, but she still did what she could to try to communicate with him. The kid can decide that's not enough for him and that's fine, but it may have been all she could do. (Although tbh if she had somehow gotten controlling racist bad granddad to adopt him, that's not really looking like an improvement in the kid's life.)

But anyway yeah she was born in 1947, there's no excuse for her not to be woke and strong and #flawless, it's disgusting how she just let herself be controlled, and basically she did the holocaust

Nah, gently caress her. Your choices have consequences. This poo poo wasn't just "they were racist" it was "we disowned family and abandoned our grandchild over how racist we are". You don't get to come back from that with a few sweet letters saying it's totally not my fault, I knew it was wrong but there's an order to this world! Please forgive me! Haha, nah, go die cold and alone.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

This is a super nice gesture and her dad will always remember you fondly, but note Im using past tense here because you are 15 and one of you to will assuredly gently caress this all up. You invested too heavily in long term dad futures in a volatile and frothy market

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I say give it a try so you never have to wonder if you made the wrong choice. If she still sucks you're validated, if she doesn't you get a grandma.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Admiral Ray posted:

Nah, gently caress her. Your choices have consequences. This poo poo wasn't just "they were racist" it was "we disowned family and abandoned our grandchild over how racist we are". You don't get to come back from that with a few sweet letters saying it's totally not my fault, I knew it was wrong but there's an order to this world! Please forgive me! Haha, nah, go die cold and alone.
Yeah if you read my posts, I keep saying the guy doesn't ever have to talk to her again and that's fine. I mean it.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Anne Whateley posted:

Yeah if you read my posts, I keep saying the guy doesn't ever have to talk to her again and that's fine. I mean it.

Reading interferes with snap judgements and is also for chumps

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Milotic posted:

Take giant poo poo on grandpa's grave, take a picture of it, send it to Grandma with a note that says "You're next"

maskenfreiheit posted:

Yes, sue the paper, make a bigger story out of it than it already is. Way to prove the point.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

I also wasn't born in 1947

Anne Whateley posted:

But anyway yeah she was born in 1947

My dad was born in '47 and witnessed the Detroit riots firsthand yet still didn't end up in a situation where he'd ever consciously make the choice to leave their grandchild's future up to chance because of the color of their skin. "Oh but they're olds" doesn't really work when we're talking about being disowned in 1989.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
If she thinks you have forgiven her, you might end up in her will, which means you get some money. Just do a cost-benefit analysis.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress that, poo poo on her grave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ride The Gravitron posted:

gently caress that, poo poo on her grave

Is that deuce worth $400,000?