Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

KillHour posted:

If Trump meant "Jew" he would say Jew. He would literally go on TV and tell the whole world that the Jews are to blame.

Trump called Hillary a "nasty woman" but we know he meant "bitch". We know what he meant when he Just Asked Questions about second amendment people possibly being able to do something.

He's not that dumb. He uses that perception as a cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hastings posted:

You can almost hear the exact moment he regrets his part in all this, and then Trump decides he needs to go. This was a great speech, but part of me thinks I was only moved because we've dealt with Trump for so long that speaking basic English would come across as a beautiful sonata at this point. There is one blessing to Trump though: what we are seeing is conservatism taken to its full, logical end. This isn't 'a few bad apples' creating this divisiveness. This is that 'compassionate conservatism'. The GOP has always been about otherism and now its happening.

i think mattis views himself as less of playing a part in all this, and more in trying to limit the damage

i am sort of torn if he's actually doing that or not but i think that's his view: he's not loyal to trump personally, to the republican party, or to conservatism: he's loyal to his idea of america (whatever that is, which I'm not that clear on) and to his troops.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
My Aunt and Cousin are evacuating today. They are in the SW burbs and previously thought they wouldn't have to, but with the river rising they are getting out.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
It is my belief that Trump only hired Mattis because his nickname is 'Mad Dog'.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

This is very much appreciated just FYI. It can be hard to find good info sometimes.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Looks like the Addicks dam successfully dumped some water.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Javes posted:

also that he's a general

trump really likes surrounding himself with generals because it makes him feel powerful

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

FourLeaf posted:

Looks like the Addicks dam successfully dumped some water.

Wouldn't bet on it. Addicks measurement has been a little glitchy since they started outflows.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
https://twitter.com/EricHolthaus/status/902199433906888704

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Is it still raining in Houston? Is the projection still rain for another few days? Trying to keep updated on this but the live update sites I've found are more focused on rescue efforts. Which is good, but I'm curious whether it's starting to abate or what.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ague Proof posted:

Trump called Hillary a "nasty woman" but we know he meant "bitch". We know what he meant when he Just Asked Questions about second amendment people possibly being able to do something.

He's not that dumb. He uses that perception as a cover.

This implies that he's okay with people thinking he's dumb, which I very much doubt.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Hellblazer187 posted:

Is it still raining in Houston? Is the projection still rain for another few days? Trying to keep updated on this but the live update sites I've found are more focused on rescue efforts. Which is good, but I'm curious whether it's starting to abate or what.

I saw that the NWS was saying it is possible for Houston to get another 20 inches of rain.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Javes posted:

Oh it's been obvious since November.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Hellblazer187 posted:

Still raining. Rain forecasted for next few days at least.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Hellblazer187 posted:

The center of Harvey is back over the Gulf again, and it will make a second landfall near Beaumont on Wednesday. So the poo poo is still flying.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

evilweasel posted:

also that he's a general

trump really likes surrounding himself with generals because it makes him feel powerful

The guy who dodged Vietnam due to cowardice and insulted the honor of fellow Republican John McCain who was badly wounded in the war, does love to play tough military man.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I don't suppose anything like covering the top of the levees with sandbags is worth trying

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

evilweasel posted:

also that he's a general

He went to military school. I suspect he still sees military leaders as surrogate Daddies.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Deteriorata posted:

The center of Harvey is back over the Gulf again, and it will make a second landfall near Beaumont on Wednesday. So the poo poo is still flying.

poo poo. And that's close enough that Houston is going to get slammed again, isn't it?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

https://twitter.com/wsyx6/status/902199995742466049

Discount Dracula
Aug 15, 2003

Nap Ghost
Joe Arpaio may challenge Jeff Flake for Arizona Senate seat

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I have a crazy idea

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWwqIO_4VNw&ab_channel=KHOU11

KHOU Houston live streaming on youtube if you want to follow local news. They were chased out of their studio by rising flood waters and are huddled around a desk at the public broadcasting station at the university.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I don't suppose anything like covering the top of the levees with sandbags is worth trying

Getting that many sandbags there would probably be basically impossible. Not to mention the amount of man power that would be better spent on rescue efforts and the fact that adding maybe 4 ft to a 30 ft wall isn't going to do very much if it even works, which seems dubious.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'd joke about the irony of something surrounded by water being on fire but it isn't funny at all because a fire aboard ship is just about the worst thing you can face as a sailor.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

No, you idiots! Fire is WEAK against water. We need grass!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

farraday posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWwqIO_4VNw&ab_channel=KHOU11

KHOU Houston live streaming on youtube if you want to follow local news. They were chased out of their studio by rising flood waters and are huddled around a desk at the public broadcasting station at the university.

I have to say, these reporters are loving insane. What they are doing is important, both to get info out and to keep people from thinking the world was ending, but Christ.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Probably not. Measuring the levees. Barker is about 22 km long and Addicks is about 18 km.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

I know one of the guys working on the New Orleans pump system.

The problem is that the pump system is super old and runs on 25Hz power (US standard is 60Hz). Currently they can't produce enough 25Hz power to run all the pumps. Apparently they broke one of the 25Hz turbines.

They have now bought a bunch of locomotive engines and were suppose to arrive today. They are working around the clock to get them hooked up and reworked to produce 25Hz power.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

evilweasel posted:

also that he's a general

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Hellblazer187 posted:

poo poo. And that's close enough that Houston is going to get slammed again, isn't it?

It's maybe an even worse place for it to make landfall than the first time, since it'll be at least as heavy rain in Houston but ALSO much closer to NO than the first landfall as far as I can tell.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/NWSHouston/status/902203628131414017

They are super boned.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Deadulus posted:

The problem is that the pump system is super old and runs on 25Hz power (US standard is 60Hz). Currently they can't produce enough 25Hz power to run all the pumps. Apparently they broke one of the 25Hz turbines.

They have now bought a bunch of locomotive engines and were suppose to arrive today. They are working around the clock to get them hooked up and reworked to produce 25Hz power.

Jesus christ, what an ill prepared shitshow. Surprised that the city didn't have a bucket brigade as their disaster plan at this point.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Jesus christ, what an ill prepared shitshow. Surprised that the city didn't have a bucket brigade as their disaster plan at this point.

Infrastructure week :smith:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

So it looks like those worst case estimates of 60 inches is going to be correct

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Yeah the turbine is like 100 years old. They were doing maintenance on it which required removing the housing. They missed some bolts so when they lifted the housing it cracked.

They found one other turbine like it in the world in Indonesia, but they wouldn't sell it to them. Then they spent a bunch of time arguing about how to fix it and if it needed to be rebuilt at current day standards or the original design.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Deadulus posted:

This is really friggin' interesting and I'd be really interested to know anything else about retrofitting power generation for a 25hz system.

It's insane that they've been using the same pumps since, what, WWI?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Newscasters on KHOU are saying the dam isn't going to breach because they *won't let it breach,* which is very different than the concern the dam experts were expressing earlier. :ohdear:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Deadulus posted:

Yeah the turbine is like 100 years old. They were doing maintenance on it which required removing the housing. They missed some bolts so when they lifted the housing it cracked.

They found one other turbine like it in the world in Indonesia, but they wouldn't sell it to them. Then they spent a bunch of time arguing about how to fix it and if it needed to be rebuilt at current day standards or the original design.

They also fired a bunch of people in charge of it after they lied about the level of preparedness this summer. Wouldn't be New Orleans without chaos at all levels at all times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine
Dammit Facebook...

• Locked thread