Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

shrach posted:

I think the strangest thing about this entire project is that no one can ever mentally reconcile how they have so many people working on it and so little to show. Occasionally a floor plan, or group photos gets posted and the numbers of staff do add up to what CIG are claiming and yet it still doesn't compute.

I see the most likely reason being that entire teams have nothing to do while they wait for bug fixes or other teams to finish artwork. After a few weeks, they get an asset into the hands and they have to do something with it, but inevitably there is some event looming and Crobberts wants it in the game somehow but since there is no game loop it's just an asset, a pretty thing to walk by or script into the fake demo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

Drunk Theory posted:

The one thing that stood out to me about the new Jgep is that the commercial for it is just completely focused on rubbing. In the past, concept ships have had roles, and advertising based on what you were going to do with that ship.
Now, it's just a commercial with some 3-d modeled people rubbing all over a 3-d modeled jpeg. It really tells me how much thought they've put into the ship and how it related to the game.

Very rubbable jpeg though, I'll give you that.

I like the gun sticked to its rear end.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

tuo posted:

The cockpit to me looks like a rounded version of the Asp Explorer's cockpit (which reminds me a bit about the cockpit of the Prometheus, whoever was first):

of course the rest of the ship is totally different

Eh, Prometheus had an underslung cockpit that actually looks a lot like the cockpit of the RSI Constellation from the inside

This one is different. Kinda like the Asp, I guess, but that's not what I'm thinking of. Man this is gonna bug me, cause I know they archered it from somewhere and I can't figure out where lol.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

You make it sound that rubbing is a bad thing.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

ZenMaster posted:

:siren: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ITxpWAieKo :siren:

Here it is, my new video review of the Gamescam 2017 CIG presentation.

You can actually hear Chris telling some guy not to go places where the game is not finished, lol

this is good

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

ZenMaster posted:

You can actually hear Chris telling some guy not to go places where the game is not finished, lol

I often forget that citizens think this build was built with a MMO architecture and need their hands held to see out of that.

7:37 - Chris Roberts: "Paul, don't go beyond the Buccaneer because it's completely bland on that side."

lol

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/6we9ua/star_citizen_gamescom_2017_presentation_no_dialog/dm7i1di/

this is nice.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

but guys it says so right on their website.
I'm not seeing it ingame, but on the website it clearly says its exist.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

his nibs posted:

I did a Gamescom thing

Warning: 11min dystopian nightmare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcUEKJRZtdc

music is gud

Prostheticfoot
Mar 27, 2002

Read this as "still haven't found the source of the tickling though..."

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Virtual Captain posted:

7:37 - Chris Roberts: "Paul, don't go beyond the Buccaneer because it's completely bland on that side."

lol

Kinda throws into sharp relief that Crobbers knows what state this is all in.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Sindai posted:

Full Gamescon presentation, as uploaded to the official youtube channel: 2:28:48

Presentation with all dialog and bugs edited out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb702V4_m4c

Less than one third the runtime.

Anyone notice that the NPC who starts the "maintenance work" on the panel is doing the work at his own shop? It's called Liberty Maintenance. lol

Handyman, maintain thyself!

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

ZenMaster posted:

This is great. Thanks commando o9

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Prostheticfoot posted:

Read this as "still haven't found the source of the tickling though..."

same

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

ZenMaster posted:

Anyone notice that the NPC who starts the "maintenance work" on the panel is doing the work at his own shop? It's called Liberty Maintenance. lol

Handyman, maintain thyself!

I've been telling my plumber for years to install a self-serve kiosk at his shop to reduce wait times.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

where's the youtube version with audio I wanna laugh again

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

nawledgelambo posted:

Star Citizen: Perpetually Future tense

Star Citizen: development in parpetuity.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Hav posted:

I refer everyone back to 38 Studios and how everything was fine up until the point they locked the doors.

"Terminated CIG employee disembowled by malfunctioning space door."

"A bystander was heard to scream 'nooooOOOOooooo!' as his body parts awkwardly bounced upon the barren landscape. When asked to comment, Coutts & co. said 'We just locked the doors as a standard part of asset seizure. We had no idea a door could be so shittily made. It's like some rear end in a top hat built it in his garage over the weekend or something...'"

Toops fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 28, 2017

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Variable 5 posted:

Just point out how often he's wrong about something, or make a photoshop he can post on his website without crediting you.

Makes me not want to shoop anymore without watermarking my name all over the place. Why you do this Derek? Why?

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Natron posted:

Once again, CIG marketing has hosed up severely and limited their cash flow by being missing the most lucrative road to milking whales.

With the new 600i, CIG has set up a way to pay to name your ship, which sounds great. You can reward your players for spending a bit of extra cash by allowing them to give their ship a unique name. Of course, I am one step ahead of the world's best marketer since she was a little girl by introducing a MUCH better ship naming system: punishing those who don't pay extra.

As you can see below, this clever commando has bought a Goonrathi Rampaarp for the low, low introductory price of $50, BUT he also ponied up an extra :10bux: to name his chariot the SS "Derek Smart was Right". This is the sensible and correct thing to do, and he is handsomely rewarded for his brilliance.

However, this cheap son-of-a-whore has decided to only go for the basic package, and his sperg chassis was procedurally named by our subsumptive rear end in a top hat AI for maximum mockery.

So, fellow goons. The choice is yours. You can pay just a little extra to give your ship a majestic name of your choosing, or you can bumble around the 'laxy in your idiot wagon called "Pancake Nipples Mk. II" or "Fuckface McGee".

CIG should pay me a lot of money to milk the idiots they still have. I'm WAY better at this than they are.

:five:

Hello my old friend. Shall we discuss some new features for Solar Plebeian?

e: I have some ideas for a new immersive facial expressions technology.

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo
MoMa is Paul.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

LastCaress posted:

MoMa is Paul.
MoMa is refactoring his life

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot

LastCaress posted:

MoMa is Paul.

Hes a lowly employee at CIG. Not paid to post here but does to self justify himself. He enjoys toast on occasion and some light autoerotic asphyxiation with his fancy collection of belts.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

big nipples big life posted:

and they support them, Rebirth was a disaster when it launched but now it's a decent space game that probably shouldn't have been set in the X universe.

It's also a bit of an unspoken 'mea culpa' that for the next game they've gone right back to numerical format. Signals good things.

Mne nravitsya
Jul 14, 2017

no_recall posted:

Being honest..

Looks like the most original spaceship CIG has designed so far.

e: the more I look at it, the more I think it fits in the ED universe.

Is this made for her pleasure or his? Plus side is that it looks to be cordless, and tapers in a way that doesn't cause any over stretching or tearing on entry

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

aleksendr posted:

Its just a luxury yacht with side thrusters

Some modern yacht like the "Black Swan" are better at looking like spaceships than his designs

This is the$35 million dollar 2018 MONDOMARINE M57 Eidos. It is a very nice boat.

http://www.yachtmoments.com/yacht-sales/mondo-marine-m57-eidos-new-construction/

drluv
Feb 25, 2016

Please do not undercut me in front of the child.
so did anyone notice the physics grid swap?
right after the atv explodes
and the black dude enters the ship
the plasmacannon is wiggling extremly, and it looks like the player was told to remove the gun because right after this, the mobiglass was brought up

https://youtu.be/3DCbvu-uF4o?list=FLXZG-BnmXA-2COAR04VumHQ&t=5939

right here after the player enters the ship, mini t-pose too
looks like in a real enviroment, without a lan, this would cause MASSIVE problems. and this could also mean, that the destruction of the ATV had nothing to do with the physics grid swap. I wonder what would have happend, if the atv reached the physics grid from the ship...

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Transcend

Tgspectre
Oct 21, 2014

D_Smart posted:

Hope you like yours. I picked it out specially for you.

SA Avatar War stats

Changed (me) x 17 @ $5

Changed (them) x5 (Variable 5, Lazrin, big nipples big life, Jobbo Fett, Krycek) @ $9.95

So if I'm understanding this correctly, insult Dr. D, mention his ongoing avatar war in a way that implies you might be involved, and he'll reward you with a new monkey butt avatar? Wow sign me up!!

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

LastCaress posted:

MoMa is Paul.

Then he can finally say with good conscience "I don't work for CIG"

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Has moma posted since the abortion of a conference?

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Toops posted:

:five:

Hello my old friend. Shall we discuss some new features for Solar Plebeian?

e: I have some ideas for a new immersive facial expressions technology.

Yes. Yes we should. I also have ideas. I was thinking more along the lines of a tumescence sensor, but I'm intrigued with your all new facial expressions tech.

Edit: Dog Fort Tax

Natron fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 28, 2017

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Has moma posted since the abortion of a conference?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Scruffpuff posted:

In short, the most extreme cart-before-the-horse development the world has ever seen. Chris Roberts paid several A-List Hollywood actors millions of dollars to get on camera next to his unfortunate wife, and paid tens of millions of dollars for motion capture before they had a functioning game engine and before they knew if they could use any of it.

He spent millions more creating, throwing away, recreating, re-throwing away, and creating yet again several spaceship assets before he had a functioning game engine, and with no consideration as to whether or not those assets would work with each other, the engine, or the aforementioned motion capture. Spoiler: it didn't.

He also spend untold millions of dollars building 4 studios around the world, because successful game development studios have that. The fact that real publishers earned them over time by actually creating and releasing games is lost on him.

They also spent millions of dollars creating a real-life Truman Show analogue consisting of constant video feeds, "behind the scenes", "lore", fake world assets, and thousands of hours of complete bullshit video intended to make it look like they're making progress on a "game."

What Chris did not do - what nobody in CIG has ever done - is decide what Star Citizen is. Nobody has created a game design, nobody has proposed a core game loop, nobody has considered even one single moment of gameplay or how any of this will work. It's just Chris Roberts continuing to exist as the genetic error he was born as. Stupidity is expensive.

:same:

It's really hard to imagine what his end game is; because by now, just like this top tier devs, he HAS to know that the project is FUBAR.

SA Avatar War stats

Changed (me) x 18 @ $5

Changed (them) x7 (Variable 5, Lazrin, big nipples big life, Jobbo Fett, Krycek) @ $9.95

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 28, 2017

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

no_recall posted:

Being honest..

Looks like the most original spaceship CIG has designed so far.

e: the more I look at it, the more I think it fits in the ED universe.

It looks like the Imperial Spy ship from SWTOR to me.

Thronde fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 28, 2017

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Has anyone said MoMAs been skimmed yet?

Mne nravitsya
Jul 14, 2017

xXAdmiralBekHarXx posted:

Actual average AAA dev time is like 3-5 years right? Low end if its rehashed stuff and long end if its brand new stuff/poo poo goes wrong.

On the forums they say average dev time is either 5-9 years or 7-10 depending on what they're handwaving.

Yes. The average dev time with a full staff is about 3-4 years before your project hits negative ROI and it's not worth making for the marketplace. It's one of the big reasons you see games that are so far along, get killed by publishers. They have passed the point. Once you cross the sales projections, it's no longer worth the investment of another X million to then market the game, because it's all dead money: It will never earn out. I wrote a piece for the board last week on why Blizzards games take so long, but it rubbed me the wrong way when Dr. D mined my other post for his twitter and blog, and didn't even bother to pm with a "Hey, do you mind if I archer this?"

The burn rate of 300-400 person teams is absolutely nuts. Then you factor in all the dev partners (here's a freebie Croberts, go talk to Confetti, they did the global illumination system for Battlefield 1. You could use their help) other outsourcing vendors, and all the other fun costs that people don't realize have to be paid to run the studio (equipment and software licenses will smash you for years upon years of renewal costs)

This shits expensive, so: Getting it right in the early stages is crucial. Otherwise it's the death march. When team over 200+ people passes a 5 year mark, you can safely say that whatever they are making, is probably never going to earn out.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

SomethingJones posted:

Can I just say that the Gamescon video with goons rolling around in hysterics and drunk derek in the middle of it all was one of the funniest things I have ever watched.

Even the text comments from both discord and twitch was just too much.

Also the AI, why isn't there more on here about the AI, afaik the whole way they wanted to do AI is completely hosed and the mocap doesn't fit the models or even the scenery

Fake edit - just saw G0rf replying to Beer about players manning the cash registers. Yeah that sounds about right.

:grin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Alchenar posted:

It's also a bit of an unspoken 'mea culpa' that for the next game they've gone right back to numerical format. Signals good things.

I can dig out the actual mea culpa's directly from Berndt; Literally 'We're very sorry and miscalculated. Please bear with us'. I'm still waiting post-release on X4 because they did loving market Rebirth like crazy.

At release, you could have a single freighter, and you'd have to wait until it got to the dock you were at to load/unload, then you'd have to go to the destination to wait for the freighter to arrive before unloading it. It was also buggy as gently caress, so the freighter might just get lost and refuse to do anything. The travelling between locations was originally a minigame with nine positions that you moved between to avoid traffic; no autopiloting.

You used to have to land and find a particular person hanging around in a station to engage in a minigame that might give you a discount, or access to a pilot. I think that's devolved to scanning the outside of all of the components of a station and comms, removing the need to land and find your guy, but I haven't loaded it up since before the DLC.

They had remote-piloted vehicles, but apart from a single tutorial mission in which you 'hack' something, they were useless.

Oh yeah, no targetting. Your ship would target the thing in front of you, so dogfights were loving confusing and painful.

They fixed most of this after release, but some of the fundamental parts of the game were utterly broken, like being stuck in a ship called the 'Albion Skunk' for some amusing reason.

Mne nravitsya posted:

Is this made for her pleasure or his? Plus side is that it looks to be cordless, and tapers in a way that doesn't cause any over stretching or tearing on entry

If you believe that, there's a dragon dildo with your name on it.