Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

Video game cover have been a travesty always

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Policenaut posted:

With all this DLC for Everybody's Golf apparently coming I hope they bring back the greatest Hot Shots Golf character: Adam Jensen

the cover sucks (we always get trash new covers for game boxes, see dark souls/ico/whatever else) but hotshots golf is a better name imo

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Hope it's not just on my end but PSN feels miserably slow tonight. Kiwami preload is downloading and it keeps bugging out and I have to keep manually resuming the dang download.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Renoistic posted:

Re: the Witness. I have finished enough areas to open the the locked box on top of the mountain. Do I beat the game if I do, or does it lead into the endgame?

I've heard the game doesn't let you continue of you beat it so I'd just like a 'yes' or 'no'. I've beaten 360 panels so I've still got some ways to go if I want to finish them all. I'll probably skip the "environmental" shapes. I've found around 20 and finding them all sounds tedious.

The spoiler thing opens into another area that you can freely exit from.

The point of no return is not explicitly spelled out (like everything else) but you can probably tell what will trigger the ending before you do it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They were pretty awesome in the 80s imo. Mostly in a tongue in cheek way.

Atari had straight up awesome cover art for the most part.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

corn on the cop posted:

Hope it's not just on my end but PSN feels miserably slow tonight. Kiwami preload is downloading and it keeps bugging out and I have to keep manually resuming the dang download.

Holy poo poo that reminds me I have to pick that up on Tuesday. Will also grab Uncharted Ladies because Uncharted is cool and good. Yakuza is also cool and good. This has been an awesome gaming year.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Wasn't there a Super Nintendo golf game where they changed it so that you were literally a robot instead of an Asian human when they localized it

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

ElwoodCuse posted:

Wasn't there a Super Nintendo golf game where they changed it so that you were literally a robot instead of an Asian human when they localized it

They replaced a Japanese golfer that no one in the west knew with a robot (he didn't play PGA I don't think). They also replaced the fellow Japanese golfers with caucasian family members as well lmao.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Stumiester posted:

So I've finally found my way into Bloodborne. Enjoying it alot but holy poo poo this game is utterly impenetrable and the first few hours are awful because of it. Correction: not the first hour+ getting to the cleric beast. I mean the time between getting your first point of insight and realising that you need to farm for echoes and look up guides to hidden armour/weapons before having a decent chance of taking it on.

Because speaking as a player new to the series, the amount of guides that give advice about how to defeat the cleric beast without any mention of how levelling up works or the existence of weapon durability or levelling up weapons or that doing these things might be useful rather than trying to kill the thing with starting armour and a broken cane are awful. Combine it with all the "git gud" and "its supposed to be hard" that surrounds the game/series and once you've opened the left gate its very easy to just slog away until you get frustrated.

I understand that limited information is the hallmark of this series, but it feels needlessly harsh on new players.

hi friend, i bounced off of bloodborne twice probably with really frustrating experiences. the second time i might have stuck but the threaded cane was just not a good weapon for me to learn the game with. eventually i decided i just wasnt the sort of person who was going to enjoy bloodborne and decided to watch an lp of it to at least see the story since i thought the setting was very cool. as it turns out that lp actually really helped me learn how to play the game, and i ended up playing through it until i started to feel "frustrated" and would watch more of the lp up until i finally beat the game. i went from "i am never going to beat the cleric beast or father g" to loving around in new game plus.

please ignore the stupid name, this lp is very approachable and the guy explains a lot of stuff you might be frustrated with as a new player

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The point of no return is not explicitly spelled out (like everything else) but you can probably tell what will trigger the ending before you do it

Cool, thanks!

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Renoistic posted:

Cool, thanks!

The game also autosaves right before the ending, so after seeing it you can just reload it to continue futzing around

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's a one-way area, though. If you go through it you'll have to turn around at the point of no return and walk aaaaaaall the way back out. Well, I guess there is a path out of there, but you might not have the knowledge to get to it?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
whenever the topic of video game box art comes up my first thought is always of breath of fire

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Akuma posted:

It's a one-way area, though. If you go through it you'll have to turn around at the point of no return and walk aaaaaaall the way back out. Well, I guess there is a path out of there, but you might not have the knowledge to get to it?

There are a couple of options, but just backtracking takes a minute or two.

video games are art

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The Yakuza guys confirmed that Kiwami 2 will have 6's combat controls. This is like a dream for me. It's so improved over all previous games its not even funny. 2 is the best story-wise and combined with the best combat system it's gonna be the action-adventure game to beat.

edit: the smartphone game is going to be card battle based, as is the trend right now...well, for people who like that kind of thing, go nuts I guess?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Aug 28, 2017

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
you've activated my trap card!

It's a pistol, you got shot in the face.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

you've activated my trap card!

It's a pistol Walking Erection, you got shot in the face.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Hostess clubs gone wild in the new Yakuza. :eyepop:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

The Yakuza guys confirmed that Kiwami 2 will have 6's combat controls. This is like a dream for me. It's so improved over all previous games its not even funny. 2 is the best story-wise and combined with the best combat system it's gonna be the action-adventure game to beat.

edit: the smartphone game is going to be card battle based, as is the trend right now...well, for people who like that kind of thing, go nuts I guess?

I just hope you've got more combat options this time around. Ryu ga Gotoku 6 to me was like a step forward in some ways and a step backwards in others. Combat especially, felt much more visceral and had a lot of weight to it compared to the previous games, but I felt that Kiryu's actual moveset was somewhat lacking compared to previous games too. If Kiwami 2 keeps the feel of combat from 6 but gives you more options to play with, I'll be happy.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

11 hours till golf unlocks! :holy:

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

How's the ps4 version of Pillars of Eternity? I'm curious about it and am wondering if I should grab it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DXTdigI6Nc

Come golf, my lord.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Why's the Chip n Dale man shooting Trump?

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Doom guy gets an office job

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bombadilillo posted:

Why's the Chip n Dale man shooting Trump?

I remember this game being more or less an airport political potboiler in 90s FPS form. I do not remember why there are ninjas.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nomadic Scholar posted:

How's the ps4 version of Pillars of Eternity? I'm curious about it and am wondering if I should grab it.

Idk but i'd hate to do that much screen reading from the couch.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The new Uncharted is very cool and I'm already more engaged than anything from UC4

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Attitude Indicator posted:

Doom guy gets an office job

I honestly thought that was a photoshop of this when I saw that box art.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

This is extremely good.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

That cover owned

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Is there any way to track the number of players for FPS games on PSN? On PC you can track them with steam or Battlelog but can't find something like that for PSN.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Guillermus posted:

Is there any way to track the number of players for FPS games on PSN? On PC you can track them with steam or Battlelog but can't find something like that for PSN.

Only if the game has it itself. Sony doesn't publish their numbers.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Only if the game has it itself. Sony doesn't publish their numbers.

Oh that's a shame. Thanks!

I'm just wondering on what MP shooter should I invest for 2017 and next year (counting that I still play TF2). Overwatch and CoD aren't up my alley so that leaves less room to move.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Guillermus posted:

Oh that's a shame. Thanks!

I'm just wondering on what MP shooter should I invest for 2017 and next year (counting that I still play TF2). Overwatch and CoD aren't up my alley so that leaves less room to move.

Maybe Destiny 2. I'm not a big shooter fan, but someone can probably chime in.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

so far as I know, destiny and battlefront are the only big shooters being released this year outside of cod. maybe that lawbreakers game but that seems more like a pc shooter to me

battlefront will have a beta eventually just like every other dice game. destiny 2 seems to be identical to the first game from what I played of the beta, so watch some gameplay of that if you haven't played it

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I'm curious how it'll all pan out

Battlefront I was a huge turd

Destiny was a complete scam as well but had actual--albeit heavily repetitive--gunplay and such that kept people coming back. I'm kicking myself for getting it again but I'm a sucker :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the gunplay was good in battlefront and the game itself was very pretty. outside of that tho, it had a lot of dumb ideas (the coin system and 2 man squads) and not nearly enough content to justify buying it. it was fun to skip from one at-at to the next and lay waste to the other team tho

I haven't liked a dice shooter since battlefield 3 so I'm not expecting a lot out of this one