Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

KillHour posted:

That's not what over/under means.

Linguistic creep.

Over/under as a synonym for 'what are the chances' is a thing. In fact I'd say i see it used more commonly in that sense than it's official definition online.

Common usage moves on, irregardless* of how you feel about that.

*:grin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
Fort Bend county now under mandatory evecuation:

https://twitter.com/SydneyStavinoha/status/902204071939112961

https://twitter.com/abc13houston/status/902193672221069313

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Hahaha

https://twitter.com/katherinemiller/status/902209748694597632

I'm sure this was posted a week ago, but I missed it. Glad to know the Right is still just projecting when they screech about false flags.

I recall people who said this looked fake were raked over the coals in this thread

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

KillHour posted:

A mandatory evacuation is basically the same thing. Nobody is going to come drag you out of your house or charge you with stupidity.

keep in mind that plenty of people have no real means to evacuate. a huge number of americans don't have $500 in savings, and evacuating costs money - especially if you dont have any family to stay with, or even a reliable vehicle that can fit your entire family

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Prester Jane posted:

Fort Bend county now under mandatory evacuation:

Several areas of the county are under evacuation, but there have only been a few recent evacuation order changes. Specifically, Pecan Grove has been upgraded to mandatory evacuation.

https://twitter.com/fbcoem/status/902212750922919939

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I'm sure Trump's Republicans in Congress are deeply concerned by this.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Deptfordx posted:

Linguistic creep.

Over/under as a synonym for 'what are the chances' is a thing. In fact I'd say i see it used more commonly in that sense than it's official definition online.

This sort of joyful reveling in ignorance is why Trump is the president.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Discendo Vox posted:

Several areas of the county are under evacuation, but there have only been a few recent evacuation order changes. Specifically, Pecan Grove has been upgraded to mandatory evacuation.

That tweet was retweeted by a meterologist who works for the Harris County Flood Control District. My read is that the entire county is now under mandatory evac according to this judges orders. It seems to be being passed along by county officials at any rate.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Varam posted:

This sort of joyful reveling in ignorance is why Trump is the president.

Is this a serious post

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Can someone define the difference between a mandatory and voluntary evacuation? It's not like the cops are going door to door to make sure that people are gone.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Your Taint posted:

Maybe it's just me understanding, hut isn't a voluntary evacuation order completely useless? I can voluntarily evacuate my home literally any day st any time, as could those people (theoretically). Isn't it just the govt saying "yeah, we think you should leave?"

Yes, but giving people permission gets some of them to move. Not enough usually.

Also I went ahead and looked into the Army Corps of Engineers reports on the dams to get some clarity for everyone regarding the various Top of Spillway numbers.

For Barker drat, the graph has a purple line indicating Top of Spillway at 104', but the statistics above say 107.6'. Similarly Addicks's graph had the top line at 108', but the statistics say 117.5'.

The 104' and 108' indicate where the water starts spilling over the far edges of the dam. In other words, the higher number indicates where the top of the dam is, but not how much it can hold. Addicks will, at it's wall, still be ten feet above water level when the water starts curling around the edges of the dam.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Can someone define the difference between a mandatory and voluntary evacuation? It's not like the cops are going door to door to make sure that people are gone.

The urgency they are trying to convey

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Voluntary is "If you have to evacuate do so, but if you seem safe stay in place". Mandatory is "If you do not leave right now you are going to die".

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Prester Jane posted:

That tweet was retweeted by a meterologist who works for the Harris County Flood Control District. My read is that the entire county is now under mandatory evac according to this judges orders. It seems to be being passed along by county officials at any rate.

Over 585,375 people live in Fort Bend county. 80,000 are under evacuation orders.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

BarbarianElephant posted:

Just like the nomination of joke-candidate Trump was great news for Hillary, right?

The only good thing about Arpaio is that he's 85 and way too old to run for President.

Senate. He's talking about running for the senate.

I mean if you think Flake would be easier to beat than Arpio (or ward), you're not necessarily wrong, we can't ever really know, but I doubt very much that overt racism is electoral kryptonite for democrats in the long term. The backlash to Trump's election has been massive.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Deptfordx posted:

Linguistic creep.

On the other hand, something is still wrong until it's right.

Language creep is incredibly annoying. I deal with old farts who can't accept new definitions, and I also work with a lot of young people who don't realize that precise word choice has value.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Information Post updated. There's a link to a better Fort Bend County evac map now.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

WrenP-Complete posted:

Over 585,375 people live in Fort Bend county. 80,000 are under evacuation orders.

I stand corrected then, my apologies. Thank you for clearing that up.

Also, this guy is the Harris County Flood Control District meterologist that I have been following, and he just posted this:

https://twitter.com/JeffLindner1/status/902221491386929152

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Prester Jane posted:

I stand corrected then, my apologies. Thank you for clearing that up.

Also, this guy is the Harris County Flood Control District meterologist that I have been following, and he just posted this:

https://twitter.com/JeffLindner1/status/902221491386929152

No worries, I also thought it was confusing. Thank you for your help in keeping the resource list up to date!

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I recall people who said this looked fake were raked over the coals in this thread

To be fair, "I don't think it looks right" isn't really a good argument without something more supporting it than vague intuition.

For real though what kind of loving thought process is "ow I stabbed myself -> wait what if I said antifa did this???"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

DreamShipWrecked posted:

aside from communicating urgency, mandatory means that the police have the power to charge you with disobeying a lawful order. it's basically the legal justification for the police to remove you from your home if they need to. this is unlikely to happen but it's sort of a necessary procedure because otherwise the police can't force you out of your home. this is more important for first responders and other public safety resources who might be in danger after you finally realize, sitting on the roof of your house as it floats out to sea, that you probably should have evacuated by now and you would really like a boat to come rescue you please

TGLT posted:

To be fair, "I don't think it looks right" isn't really a good argument without something more supporting it than vague intuition.

For real though what kind of loving thought process is "ow I stabbed myself -> wait what if I said antifa did this???"

attention seeking dipshit, like everyone making GBS threads their hot takes on twitter or youtube

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 28, 2017

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

TGLT posted:

edit: oops, read the article wrong!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Quorum posted:

Was, yes. And "gay" was a word that meant happy.
This was a literal page from my high school yearbook in the early 90's.

(There's other ones that are worse.)

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

https://twitter.com/HouseInSession/status/902194757249716224

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
2008 Reminder : A McCain staffer/voter said two SSJ6346464 blacks attacked her and carved a 'B' for Obama in her face.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Are the people in this thread forensic analysts or medical doctors who personally examined him? Because yeah otherwise they should be raked over the coals if it was anything more than 'I bet he did it himself'

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I don't remember that. I remember it getting posted and people going :thunk: and then the most they got was "Yeah but there's no way to know" even when people pointed out how stupid the story was, and how lucky he was to have gauze on hand after getting randomly stabbed going out to get coffee, plus the blood was on the wrong door and such. Raked over the coals, though? Not really.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Boon posted:

Are the people in this thread forensic analysts or medical doctors who personally examined him? Because yeah otherwise they should be raked over the coals if it was anything more than 'I bet he did it himself'

getting stabbed in the meat of the thumb is a super weird defensive wound. imagine the sequence of events necessary for someone to lightly stab you once and only once on the palm of your hand when attacking you

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I don't remember that. I remember it getting posted and people going :thunk: and then the most they got was "Yeah but there's no way to know" even when people pointed out how stupid the story was, and how lucky he was to have gauze on hand after getting randomly stabbed going out to get coffee, plus the blood was on the wrong door and such. Raked over the coals, though? Not really.

Uh, I remember someone comparing it to not believing a rape survivor. I'm not sure if that qualifies as raked over the coals.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

evilweasel posted:

oh my god these russia emails almost could not be more incriminating

It's almost comical. The only way it could be more clear is if was worded like "I and Donald J Trump are going to have Russia interfere in the US presidential election. We are doing this while 100% understanding what we are doing is highly illegal and treason. We are doing this at the request of Putin and to make lots of money by, again, preforming treason against the United States and her government"

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

WrenP-Complete posted:

Uh, I remember someone comparing it to not believing a rape survivor. I'm not sure if that qualifies as raked over the coals.

:stare:

I must've scabbed that memory over, because jesus christ.

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002
God can you imagine if Obama ever so much as met a guy like Felix Sater?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Somebody was literally indicting "our side" for it, it was pretty obnoxious.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

It's almost comical. The only way it could be more clear is if was worded like "I and Donald J Trump are going to have Russia interfere in the US presidential election. We are doing this while 100% understanding what we are doing is highly illegal and treason. We are doing this at the request of Putin and to make lots of money by, again, preforming treason against the United States and her government"

And yet it will still cause almost no waves because this is the hell timeline.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

TGLT posted:

A lot of the people in this thread aren't just basing this on intuition though, but rather their knowledge and experience of stabbing people.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Disbelieving victims of alleged crimes is usually a bad habit to get into, except apparently if the alleged victim is a nazi.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

:stare:

I must've scabbed that memory over, because jesus christ.

Yeah, they were probated for it. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3821460&pagenumber=2601&perpage=40#post475536186

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Deptfordx posted:

Linguistic creep.

Woah

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Dr. VooDoo posted:

It's almost comical. The only way it could be more clear is if was worded like "I and Donald J Trump are going to have Russia interfere in the US presidential election. We are doing this while 100% understanding what we are doing is highly illegalive and treason. We are doing this at the request of Putin and to make lots of money by, again, preforming treason against the United States and her government"

This is the one time during his Presidency when this story would not get nearly all of the cable news coverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

withak posted:

Disbelieving victims of alleged crimes is usually a bad habit to get into, except apparently if the alleged victim is a nazi.

Its a good habit if the crime described is very stupid

• Locked thread