Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

UmOk posted:

Unpopular opinion. The early 2000's Fantastic Four movies were good. They captured the goofiness and family dynamic pretty good.

i liked the first one well enough I didn't even mind that version of doom but the second one didn't have the balls to do galactus and i'll never forgive it, i was so hype to see that goofy poo poo. i have never been so disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Karloff posted:

One of the core themes it seems to me of Batman V Superman is "never question the powerful, they are always correct". If it wants to criticize Superman, than it can do better than framing every thing negative associated with him; the massive deaths at the end of Man of Steel, the opening international incident, as the fault of "someone else".

That's a weird core theme to take away, seeing as every other powerful figure in the movie (the president, Luthor, Batman) is explicitly wrong over and over again.

Superman is pure. He's literally and explicitly a Jesus figure. The point isn't that he does anything wrong, the film isn't trying to criticise him. You can tell this by your own analysis: that he is never actually criticised.

Burkion posted:

And believe you me, he learns NOTHING in Civil War.

Batman V Superman has Batman realize, holy poo poo, I'm wrong, I must atone for my sins because I got Jesus killed.

Civil War ends with Jesus calling Tony up after beating the poo poo out of him for being an idiot dickhead, and asking him if they could still be besties forever, with Tony making zero effort to change or even be what so ever remorseful for what he almost did.

Tony in Civil War starts out a selfish rear end in a top hat in it for himself, and ends it a selfish rear end in a top hat in it for himself. It's his guilt that matters, nothing else. His pain that's more important. Steve has to come to HIM to patch things up.

The best part of Civil War is Stark lecturing everyone else about the human cost of the Ultron incident (which he directly caused) including a girl who lost her entire family and country. He then goes on to break every rule in the book to achieve what he wanted to do, after deciding that everyone else needed a rulebook and oversight

He's essentially an alcoholic who tells everyone else to stop drinking, while popping down the bar every night.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Snowman_McK posted:

He's essentially an alcoholic who tells everyone else to stop drinking, while popping down the bar every night.

Well yeah, he can handle it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Well yeah, he can handle it.

Except he demonstrably can't. His last bar visit in the movie results in him nearly killing his friend.

As an interesting side note, he loses the fight because he forgets that Steve is his friend. He blocks his face, not his reactor, forgetting that Cap just wants to stop/win the fight, not kill him. In Stark's head, that's a fight to the death. Makes sense, since he's personally killed all his enemies, and Cap hasn't.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

UmOk posted:

Unpopular opinion. The early 2000's Fantastic Four movies were good. They captured the goofiness and family dynamic pretty good.

FF 2 is Clockwork Orange Torture levels of bad.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

dont even fink about it posted:

FF 2 is Clockwork Orange Torture levels of bad.

Why? Is it a "not my Galactus" thing?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

UmOk posted:

Critical perspective on popular opinion: goofiness and family values are bog-standard cliches in most commercial American films, and that the Tim Story F4 movies can only be defended through pretending these are actually unique qualities of F4 is proof positive of why they're mediocre garbage.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like a bunch of little touches, like Reed dropping to a knee to propose but simultaneously being enough of a dick he stretches so he doesn't actually change height. But that's about it, the broad strokes are boring.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Snowman_McK posted:

Superman is pure. He's literally and explicitly a Jesus figure. The point isn't that he does anything wrong, the film isn't trying to criticise him. You can tell this by your own analysis: that he is never actually criticised.

The film thoroughly criticizes him, if it didn't (and he didn't), he wouldn't be Christ-like. That's always what's missing in that analysis - if that were the case, Chris Kyle would be a Jesus figure.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah the talking heads are the Pharisees. Batman is Pontius Pilate. Lex is the Roman emperor. Lois is Mary Magdalene. Doomsday is uh... Barabbas. Jonathan Kent is Jonathan the Baptist. The tornado is Salome. General Swannick is Thomas. Wonder Woman is st Peter. Batman is also St Peter and also Saul and the apostle Paul. The Flash is a vision of Jesus, Superman is Jesus. Aquaman is the holy spirit. Cyborg is Constantine and Constantine is the Galatians. Harley Quinn is the other Mary and the Joker is that servant who doubled his talents. Jor El is the archangel Michael and Jimmy Olsen is the thief.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
What about the warlord, Alfred, and Mercy?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The warlord is the money changer at the temple, Alfred is Luke, and Mercy is the traveler ignores the injured man. The injured man is the injured man, and Wilson Fisk is the ill intent.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Mercy is the traveler ignores the injured man. The injured man is the injured man.

:golfclap:

Oh, so what's Steppenwolf?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The two thieves martyred with Christ are OBVIOUSLY in the Knightmare, with Batman as Christ.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Inescapable Duck posted:

:golfclap:

Oh, so what's Steppenwolf?
A Horseman of the Apokalips?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The two thieves martyred with Christ are OBVIOUSLY in the Knightmare, with Batman as Christ.

Yes in the dream the roles are reversed

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Yes in the dream the roles are reversed

A lot of films do obvious Jesus symbology. Very few introduce the Christ-figure as a Luciferian star plummeting from heaven.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Superman meets Lex Luthor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVq-JWdyvGI

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
I wish David Bowie hadn't died before he could play a DC villain.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Bowie was a tremendous actor, I always took his casting as a stunt because he frankly sucks rear end in most stuff he's famous for acting-wise. But I'm glad to have been proven wrong.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bowie was a tremendous actor, I always took his casting as a stunt because he frankly sucks rear end in most stuff he's famous for acting-wise. But I'm glad to have been proven wrong.

Yep. He's painful in, say, Labyrinth, which seems to be the go-to when people talk "David Bowie, movie star." But he's phenomenal in Fire Walk With Me and Last Temptation.

I remember reading once somewhere that he was offered the villain role in A View to a Kill before Walken was. That's one of those great "What might have been..." castings.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Today would be jack Kirby's 100th birthday btw.

https://twitter.com/Toadsanime/status/902203064106528770

He and Kirby would be friends

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I always wondered what Kirby would look like in Jack Kirby's art style. Thank you.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I'd like to think that Jack Kirby would respect Kirby enough not to give him teeth (that is kind of grossing me out)

EDIT: oh maybe the point there is that Kirby ate Jack and partially took on his visage, which explains the teeth

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Yeah he's loving so bad in Labyrinth but just lmao if you think anyone else could have done as amazing as him in The Man Who Fell to Earth.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Man Who Fell To Earth was great but I honestly couldn't tell for the longest time with that movie.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

GonSmithe posted:

Yeah he's loving so bad in Labyrinth but just lmao if you think anyone else could have done as amazing as him in The Man Who Fell to Earth.

As a huge Bowie fan myself I have to say The Man Who Fell To Earth was amazing. Labyrinth not much so, but my wife will argue he portrays a masterful performance.

Colour me surprised and absolutely delighted when I saw The Prestige completely blind to find Bowie turn up as Tesla.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Bowie was really good in The Hunger even though I didn't like the flick. He'd have made a good Loki I think.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

UmOk posted:

Why? Is it a "not my Galactus" thing?
I liked Fishburne as the Silver Surfer. What I couldn't tolerate about that movie is Dr. Doom being played like a kids' movie villain. He wants to steal the Power Cosmic so he can shut down all the rec centers on Earth.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Halloween Jack posted:

I liked Fishburne as the Silver Surfer. What I couldn't tolerate about that movie is Dr. Doom being played like a kids' movie villain. He wants to steal the Power Cosmic so he can shut down all the rec centers on Earth.

The movie sucked but I'm not gonna act like if I got the Power Cosmic my first act as a god wouldn't be to stop folks I hate from being able to recreate.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ed Skrein backed out of the Hellboy reboot for an entirely justifiable reason:

https://twitter.com/edskrein/status/902244967296491520

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Timby posted:

Ed Skrein backed out of the Hellboy reboot for an entirely justifiable reason:

https://twitter.com/edskrein/status/902244967296491520

Good on him. That's helluva respectable.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
When's Idris Elba going to apologise to the poor Scandinavian people, then?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

sassassin posted:

When's Idris Elba going to apologise to the poor Scandinavian people, then?

That's bait. Not biting.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I hope they do something super dumb and "unintentionally" give the part to another white guy

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I hope they give it to a guy who's like 1/16 Pacific islander, 15/16 white and really pat themselves on the back

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

hiddenriverninja posted:

I hope they do something super dumb and "unintentionally" give the part to another white guy

Not all classic characters will be on movie, but there's this new exciting character called Ben Damon. He can turn into to Were-Panther. :v:

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I hope they give it to a guy who's like 1/16 Pacific islander, 15/16 white and really pat themselves on the back

They should track down and hire that real life woman Cameron Crowe swears he based Emma Stone's character on in Aloha.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/ashleylynch/status/902306249575763970
Man this is going to hang a cloud over enjoying Deadpool 2 knowing they pulled a Landis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

achillesforever6 posted:

https://twitter.com/ashleylynch/status/902306249575763970
Man this is going to hang a cloud over enjoying Deadpool 2 knowing they pulled a Landis

Holllyyy poo poo. That sucks.

• Locked thread