Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

lol no it isn't you loving weeb.
lmao imagine having to view the world through any of this nut's lens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

TheRationalRedditor posted:

lmao imagine having to view the world through any of this nut's lens

excuse me but you're clearly not familiar with the early work of Naruto author Masahi Kishimoto, or you would know that the Nut's Lens is a powerful focus point for chi energy, so that's actually a compliment. i suggest you educate yourself before posting again.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I loved the Roadhouse scene fakeout. Audrey and Charlie walk in and chill just long enough to disprove any kooky theories you had about her then suddenly the floor drops out from underneath you. Lynch is really fooling with the concept of fanservice (not the anime use of this term btw)

I'm starting to think tulpa Diane is the on screen appearance of Dern, and we'll never see the real version of her. It'd be like we think we finally met her in s3 when in reality we only see her shadow.

Oh and it somehow took me most of the season to realize this but Dougie Jones was the twin peaks equivalent of Waluigi

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Like most men of a certain age, I read a lot of stuff about ancient Canaanite/Babylonian/Assyrian/Egyptian religion and culture. One thing that I love about Twin Peaks is how Lynch has a real knack for capturing the old Canaanite (etc.) idea of holy places.

I think a lot of modern audiences hear "holy place" and think a church or temple or mosque. Lynch's world is full of the old pre-Christian, pre-Judaism holy places. Groves, tall rocks, a clearing in the woods. In the old way of thinking, places were special because the divine beings interacted strongly with the world there. Before being demoted, early Hebrews worshiped Asherah, Queen of Heaven in the "high places" (tops of hills or mountains) and under trees. Many shrines to Asherah were just special trees already growing that were thought to help worshipers commune with her.

Places like Glastonbury Grove, Jackrabbit's Palace, and Shock-son Rock have that feeling of ancient holiness, and not the holiness of good vibes and peace, but the terrifying holiness of standing in front of something infinitely old and powerful.

And that's my book report on Twin Peaks, thank you for your attention.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Atoramos posted:

Wasn't the whole thing a reference to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAcrXtMltOs

Clearly, but she's dancing longer than Audrey did in the OG series and starts voguing. I approve.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
isnt kaworu right just by virtue of the fact that serialized anime predates serialized tv by a decade or two? i am not an anime fan but it made sense to me.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I don't think Richard was electrocuted so much as turned into electricity

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Richard is gonna get pulled out of someone's ear by Red

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

I'm as surprised as anyone that Showtime paid David lynch to remake Zack Snyder's sucker punch but here we are. Look forward to Audrey fighting zombie samurai Nazis next week.

E: Esperterrrrraaaaa!!

I'm just glad I'm not the only person who thought of that!

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

The Walrus posted:

isnt kaworu right just by virtue of the fact that serialized anime predates serialized tv by a decade or two? i am not an anime fan but it made sense to me.

The term has been used for as long as there's been television.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
To truly understand 2 peaks, you must fully understand scoobert doo

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

The Walrus posted:

I guess if you think serialized television was invented in the 90s then sure. But if you're looking at factual information, then no. That also ignores radio serials which go back to the 30s.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Attitude Indicator posted:

The term has been used for as long as there's been television.

Tune in next week for the next exciting installment of Red Ryder!

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Tune in next week! Same coop time! Same coop channel!

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I'm going to guess that "filler" has been used in the literary sense for centuries, whether referring to texts or plays.

Also, I still think the "real" coordinates lead to the Palmer house.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
In the first scene of the next episode, Cooper trips on a pebble, bangs his head, and has fully reverted back to Dougie.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Hot springs episode of I, Claudius, what a waste

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

The Walrus posted:

isnt kaworu right just by virtue of the fact that serialized anime predates serialized tv by a decade or two?

how exactly is it possible to think this is true?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Cromulent posted:

Also, I still think the "real" coordinates lead to the Palmer house.

I like that idea. I was thinking it would be the coordinates to Jack Rabbit's Palace so Bad Coop can get into the white lodge, but they both seem plausible.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

tap my mountain posted:

I don't think Richard was electrocuted so much as turned into electricity

I'm holding out hope that we'll get a scene where booper accuses the Fireman of laying a trap for him, and the Fireman's like "what, no, that was just a badly grounded sprinkler system. your son was an idiot."

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

how exactly is it possible to think this is true?

Uh the modern trend of prestige serialised shows started in the late 90s with series like The West Wing? Anime predates that quite a bit with shows like Gundam having heavily serialied plots way back in the 70s.

Not sure why you're being so abrasive about it either way though

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

moist turtleneck posted:

To truly understand 2 peaks, you must fully understand scoobert doo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97AKy7mViBg

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

multijoe posted:

Uh the modern trend of prestige serialised shows started in the late 90s with series like The West Wing? Anime predates that quite a bit with shows like Gundam having heavily serialied plots way back in the 70s.

Serialized shows have been a thing since radio. And I'm pretty sure even things like Moby Dick and the like were serialized releases in publications.

edit:
Maybe Moby Dick wsn't, but there were plenty of serialized stories released in the 1800's.

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 28, 2017

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

multijoe posted:

there were plenty of serialised shows, and before that serialised radio and literature

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filler_(media)

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

multijoe posted:

fuckin lmao i love this derail so much

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

What would Audrey's favorite anime be?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

multijoe posted:

because no it loving didn't, and that's an insane thing to claim. soap operas have been airing filler episodes since the dawn of television. doctor who has been running since 1963 and was even more serialized then than it is now. loving Tintin was animated, serialized and on television in 1957 for shits sake.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Clearly Utena. It's so ... dreamy.

e: also yeah, just b/c serialised shows were rare does not mean they were non-exist-tent.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

something involving tentacles, i'd reckon.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Cromartie High School.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
the british guy with the green glove totes would like one punch man

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

because no it loving didn't, and that's an insane thing to claim. soap operas have been airing filler episodes since the dawn of television. doctor who has been running since 1963 and was even more serialized then than it is now. loving Tintin was animated, serialized and on television in 1957 for shits sake.

You might be right but I'd rather be wrong than be you, you histrionic motherfucker.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
here's your friendly escobarbarian reminder that despite having an ok amount of gems, anime is inherently bad and for perverts

edit: also that the walrus is the worst poster in this thread

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Soaps are a radically different format of television and imo shouldn't really be considered alongside limited episode shows. As far as seasonalised drama shows goes serialisation was exceedingly rare until the 90s so at the very least I think you can argue it's been far more prevalent in anime for a longer period of time than it has in the west. it is a silly derail though, the important thing is that Richard Horne and friends are not filler and for all we know his arc(:v:) isn't even over yet

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

multijoe posted:

Because yours and the others statements are utter nonsense.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
david lynch is anime's biggest troll

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tGL2wpcs-Q

CONGRATULATIONS AUDREY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I legitimately want to see a David Lynch produced anime.