Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Peter O'Toole was perfect casting. I just love how they got one of the greatest actors ever and he nailed it just like everything else he ever played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Egbert Souse posted:

Peter O'Toole was perfect casting. I just love how they got one of the greatest actors ever and he nailed it just like everything else he ever played.

He was hot as hell in Beckett.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3TQevs14CE

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Also loved Ego's coffin room and skull typewriter. :allears:

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne
As a kid in the UK on its release, I refused to watch and hated the idea of The Iron Giant, because the adverts made it clear that it was a shameless ripoff of The Iron Man, a book I loved.

When I was much older, I found out it was an adaption - not a ripoff - and The Iron Man had been renamed The Iron Giant for its US release (I guess to avoid confusion with the more famous Ironman?).

Why they didn't make it clearer in their UK marketing that it was an adaption of a well beloved children's book (or just renamed it back to The Iron Man for UK release), I'll never know.

PS. Have watched it now, enjoyed it a lot.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It helps that the The Iron Giant is an adaptation completely divorced from The Iron Man, because the author Ted Hughes was a total oval office.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Pick posted:

what are everyone's favorite specific line deliveries in an animated feature?

"Where's the Giant, Mansley???"

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

It helps that the The Iron Giant is an adaptation completely divorced from The Iron Man, because the author Ted Hughes was a total oval office.

Story time?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Pick posted:

Vinny's everything in Atlantis, particularly how he got into demolitions, ten - eleven seconds tops line. He's got the right mix of deadpan professionalism and loves-this-too-much-to-be-sane.

And Kronk is another one where every line is gold, but I think I would have to go: "you know, that doesn't make any sense."

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Robindaybird posted:

Vinny's everything in Atlantis, particularly how he got into demolitions, ten - eleven seconds tops line. He's got the right mix of deadpan professionalism and loves-this-too-much-to-be-sane.

And Kronk is another one where every line is gold, but I think I would have to go: "you know, that doesn't make any sense."

Both excellent choices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4aX0c6ffuI

"Well, maybe somebody got hurt. But no one we KNEW."

Pick fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 26, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Hughes was abusive to his wife Sylvia Plath, to which some attribute her depression and suicide shortly after separating with him.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
This movie blows pretty hard, but I'm still kinda got a soft spot for this number https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA1FWjriD60

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
door
refrigerator

WHY

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
If you wanna make a funny about bein' a furry
That's a technical foul...

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I hate to say this, but the painted backgrounds in The Little Mermaid are absolutely awful.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
The Little Mermaid is kind of ugly in general, IMO. I do enjoy it, but not for the way it looks.

On the other hand, I watched The Fox and the Hound tonight and dang that film has some beautiful backgrounds (and is just super good overall).

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

K. Waste posted:

This movie blows pretty hard, but I'm still kinda got a soft spot for this number https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA1FWjriD60

This is god awful. I can't even make it through half this thing.

Why does it exist?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

ThermoPhysical posted:

Why does it exist?

Adam Sandler gave a bunch of Iron Giant artists and animators a job

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Pick posted:

Did you honestly think she'd want you when she had someone like me?!

Or pretty much any Gaston line I guess.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Who does reads like Gaston?
Negs the leads like Gaston?
And then falls off the castle and bleeds like Gaston?

And the entirety of Vincent Price's delivery as Ratigan is perfection.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

"Ahhh....delicious...a first class smoke. Mother's milk."

My friends and i used to do an impression of that one whenever we were getting high.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

dirksteadfast posted:

Who does reads like Gaston?
Negs the leads like Gaston?
And then falls off the castle and bleeds like Gaston?

And the entirety of Vincent Price's delivery as Ratigan is perfection.

"Sorry, chubby. You should have chosen your friends more carefully."

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

How did I forget Professor Rattigan? Vincent Price is an utter joy to listen to.

Hard to say which is the best one, his explaining the trap, bidding his minions to continue singing his praises, or how he repeats Fidget's statement to lighten the load before tossing the bat off.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Took me a while to think of any lines that actually really stuck with me, but I can think of a few now, wouldn't ya know.
  • "YOU! ARE! A! TOYYYYYYEEEEEEEE! YOU AREN'T THE REAL BUZZ LIGHTYEAR, YOU'RE AN- AGH, YOU'RE AN ACTION FIGURE! YOU ARE A CHILD'S PLAYTHING!"
    "...You are a sad, strange little man - and you have my pity. Farewell!"
  • "And He shall smite the wicked, and plunge them into the fiery pit!"
  • "Not so fast Jafar - aren't you forgetting something? You wanted to be a genie, you got it - and everything that goes with it! Phenomenal cosmic powers; eeeeetty beety living space!"
  • "And I say "Zangief, you are badguy - but this does not mean you are bad guy!""
And on a far-less-iconic note:
  • "Hm, and I will betcha you don't have a warrant to get in, hmm? [sarcastically] Darn it! It's a bummer~!"
I mean, a lot of those lines are clever on their own, but the delivery was just nailed for the lot of 'em.

Shadow Hog fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 28, 2017

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Oh hello doctor how are you?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
"Why would Andy ever want to play with me... when he's got you."

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
"Madame, I have a fake badge. I would never impede your pretend investigation."

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
wachowski
you didnt do your paperwork

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

"Oh, that's puce."

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
Thanks, Satan

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

No, it's Sa-teen.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
"Oh, so there's a THEM now"

Also this bit from Venture Brothers has been in-joke with some of my friends for ages, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaW4CJj_UPc

"That's Colonel Gathers to you, suit."
"Oh yeah? In that case, I'm President Cardholder and this is my associate, Emperor Doe." "God-Emperor Doe."

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Not a feature, but The Dover Boys is full of great ones.

A RUNABOUT! I'LL STEAL IT! NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW!

OH DEAR DORA STANDPIPE, HOW I LOVE HER (father's money)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If we're talking shorts, then I like this one from Who Killed Who?

WHO'S THERE?!

A skeleton! :)

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
do you have something in your lion body for me to drink

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Crazy Ferret posted:

"Oh, so there's a THEM now"
Really, that entire scene.

The make-up scene as well. Apparently not all of the takes had Ginnifer Goodwin breaking into tears during it, but using a take in which she did is partly why that scene works as well as it does.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Shadow Hog posted:

Really, that entire scene.

The make-up scene as well. Apparently not all of the takes had Ginnifer Goodwin breaking into tears during it, but using a take in which she did is partly why that scene works as well as it does.

The "Them" line really surprised me the first time I watched the film. I figured it would be a cute, fuzzy animal movie in a simple parable but they really went for it.

That scene, and the OST's score from that scene, really elevated the movie into one of, if not my favorite recent Disney movies. It totally helps that Jason Bateman and Ginnifer Goodwin are great in their roles.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

I always enjoyed the "HOLY SMOKES HE'S A TOON" line from Who Framed Roger rabbit.
The line is pretty plain on its own but Valiants delivery of making it sound horrific was great.

(and the stop motion flattened Judge doom always did freak me out)

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Shadow Hog posted:

[list][*]"YOU! ARE! A! TOYYYYYYEEEEEEEE! YOU AREN'T THE REAL BUZZ LIGHTYEAR, YOU'RE AN- AGH, YOU'RE AN ACTION FIGURE! YOU ARE A CHILD'S PLAYTHING!"

It's this. This is the best one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Pixeltendo posted:

I always enjoyed the "HOLY SMOKES HE'S A TOON" line from Who Framed Roger rabbit.
The line is pretty plain on its own but Valiants delivery of making it sound horrific was great.

(and the stop motion flattened Judge doom always did freak me out)

Bob Hoskins is just perfect in that movie. He really sells that the toons are both believable and unbelievably annoying at the same time. Its great.

Also, I'm partial to the line "Oh my GOD ITS DIP!!!"

Its such a strange movie.